PDA

View Full Version : Getting instantly killed the moment I approach an area, nuts to this game

Securitywyrm
08-01-2013, 06:42 PM
I had thought Defiance would be my new MMO. It seemed pretty laid back, not too complicated, and I could play it while on my exercise bike to burn a lot of calories.
And yet, about 4 hours in, now I can't go anywhere in the game without getting immediately annihilated. Approach an area, *BANG* volley of artillery and grenades wipes me out. I'm only on the story mission where you're setting up the beacons to find Von Bach, but after half an hour of running back to the waypoint from the nearest 'you are dead' spawn point...
My impression: The difficulty curve was cranked up because they want you to buy 'unlocks' for better equipment. Pay to not die. I had considered trying Rift, but with this model, Tirion can kindly go self-reproduce.

Securitywyrm
08-01-2013, 06:43 PM
And no, I'm not a 'twitch gamer', but if a game like this requires instant reflexes to survive even SEEING the enemy, then it's broken beyond repair. I see now why the game went from $60 to $10 in half a year. Know what else went down in price like that? DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

Xaearth
08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Avoid any "Emergency" (roadside) event that has Volge in the name of it.

Other than that, you're doing something wrong.

Satsuki
08-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Nothing you can buy or get in lockboxes at that level of the game is going to help you. I had the same problem for the first few hours but then I started over and began the game with a sniper rifle and learned to approach new areas carefully until you are used to the enemies there and things got much, much easier.

Gomly
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm going to take it that this was meant as a joke thread and leave this here.....

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/1/8/7/6/5/3/oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

Sanguinesun
08-01-2013, 06:57 PM
And no, I'm not a 'twitch gamer', but if a game like this requires instant reflexes to survive even SEEING the enemy, then it's broken beyond repair. I see now why the game went from $60 to $10 in half a year. Know what else went down in price like that? DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

Not half a year. Less than 4 months.

Other than that:

1. Learn to use the dodge rolling. So many people dont. Think its bad now, you've not even hit the hardest missions. If you dont learn to use it effectively now, you'll be table flipping in the near future.

2. Other than 180 scrip and inconvenience, there's nothing else except your pride getting hurt dying.

3. Learn to use objects (cars, trees, buildings, etc) to block the line of sight of mobs so you can lessen your damage taken too. Leroy Jenkins-ing into areas is a sure fire face plant.

4. Make sure for your game play style that you have chosen perks that suit you. Overcharge and pure offensive perks for someone who is a flatfoot shooter, is death looking for a place to happen.

5. Make sure you equip a fast recharging shield so when you do number 3 you can get your shield up fastest.

6. Get a biomagnetic gun(bmg)(a healing gun), have it as your secondary weapon in most cases if you are prone to dying. pew pew with your main weapon and use the bmg to switch to heal you.

7. Random road emergencies(random spawning groups of mobs on roads) you should for the time being avoid as best as possible. Volge especially are geared toward higher EGO/Better weapon n shield geared folks and give trouble even to some of them. They'll melt a new player over and over guaranteed. Just stick to your story missions and try to apply the other points given.

If you vigilantly follow that and you still have problems, I recommend rts solo games for you instead.

DeadMike
08-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Gear makes very little difference in this game so them cranking up the difficulty to get you to buy things is definitely not the case. Try going with an ego power that increases your survivability like cloak or decoy. Use a weapon that allows you to attack from a bigger distance until you familiarize yourself with how the enemies attack. And always, always, always use cover to your advantage. If you find your shield has gone low, duck behind something to let it recover. And use your grenades whenever you can because they can help a lot.

And avoid the volge at all costs.

Arsenic_Touch
08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
The difficulty in this game is trivial. You just happened upon one enemy type (volge) that happens to be a little bit more difficult than the rest of the game, don't worry, the rest of the game is casual friendly. Once you learn the tactics you'll realize how easy the volge really are.

And the fact that you think it's to force you to pay for unlocks is just so hilariously divorced from reality that I cannot even begin to understand where you came up with that brilliant idea.

Securitywyrm
08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
They were right next to where I had to go to put down a beacon.

Xaearth
08-01-2013, 07:12 PM
They were right next to where I had to go to put down a beacon.

Describe them.

Because what you originally described ("artillery and grenades") really sounded nothing like the Volge at all.

And anything that isn't Volge can pretty much be taken care of by a simple circle strafing while using a bit of cover from time to time.

Dazz
08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Has to be Volge. Nothing else can one-shot you instantly like that in that area. Its just Mutants around there. Sounds like one of those bomber guys who can kill you around corners and behind boulders with their blue AoE attacks.

Sanguinesun
08-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Has to be Volge. Nothing else can one-shot you instantly like that in that area. Its just Mutants around there. Sounds like one of those bomber guys who can kill you around corners and behind boulders with their blue AoE attacks.

I suspect he is referring to the actual spawns of the mobs at the triangulation points for the mission to find VB and not volge. He's just not learned yet how to deal with the AI and combat wholly yet is all. You certianly dont go running into a swarm of mobs and think you're going to be Saints Row-ing through them.

Xaearth
08-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Maybe it's just me, but when I see flashing blue balls of death raining on my head, my first thought isn't "artillery and grenades", it's "WTJ KIND OF ALIEN SHTAKO IS FALLING FROM THE SKY?"

Valethar
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Are there even any Volge emergencies at all in Mt. Tam? I'm currently cruising around San Fran and don't remember for sure.

Could be a mutant grenadier with a minigunner, if he's out near the towers or Serenity Academy, in the area before you cross over into Madera.

Bored Peon
08-02-2013, 03:07 AM
As fast as this game community shrinks you would think people would learn some manners towards other players. Otherwise they might as well go play something else themselves because there will not be anyone else left to play with.

Gomly
08-02-2013, 03:12 AM
As fast as this game community shrinks you would think people would learn some manners towards other players. Otherwise they might as well go play something else themselves because there will not be anyone else left to play with.

Manners are one thing but how do you expect us to read....

and I could play it while on my exercise bike to burn a lot of calories.

and not take it as a joke.

Blondin
08-02-2013, 04:36 AM
See you back on this forum for a "rage quit thread" when you meet Jackleg Joe :)

drackiller
08-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Lag is the worst enemy in this game. I do Volge emergencies alone, sometimes i die , sometimes they die faster then i blink my eyes.
But when (sometimes) i fast travel, i start getting shot from everywhere and sometimes i die without the foes even materialized.

The game is casual friendly like some already stated being the Volge harder then the rest but not that hard if the conection is stable.
It`s like when you shoot at something and you see the damage but you don`t see them die.
Other then that it`s a matter how each one of us aproach the game, if you think that it`s hard then it will be hard. But if you die and learn in each death what your are doing wrong , you will soon find the way to beat every enemy in the game, whatever the more challenging they may be.
Sorry for my english :)

Flank
08-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Someone said avoid "Volge" emergencies. Also look at you SHIELD.
Run a "Respark" and when it breaks get to cover till it regenerates about 3 to 6 secs.
Use cover. Go for Critical shots. If you need someone to run with hit me up.
Ill help ya get on your feet.

Thearl
08-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Based on where he's at and the mission, I bet that he got really unlucky and the little mutant truck that spawns the cleavers spawned an invisible elite. I've ran into a bug recently where a nano particle effect occuring in a spawn point (raider door, mutant truck, ect..) can cause one of the mobs to become invisible and immortal.

Bar0n_5am3d1
08-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I had thought Defiance would be my new MMO. It seemed pretty laid back, not too complicated, and I could play it while on my exercise bike to burn a lot of calories.
And yet, about 4 hours in, now I can't go anywhere in the game without getting immediately annihilated. Approach an area, *BANG* volley of artillery and grenades wipes me out. I'm only on the story mission where you're setting up the beacons to find Von Bach, but after half an hour of running back to the waypoint from the nearest 'you are dead' spawn point...
My impression: The difficulty curve was cranked up because they want you to buy 'unlocks' for better equipment. Pay to not die. I had considered trying Rift, but with this model, Tirion can kindly go self-reproduce.

You don't need to pay to win, It's more about experience. I remember one of the first missions where you take out snipers. I couldn't finish that missions without help when I first started. Now if I start a new char I go in and roflstomp the mutants. Just keep playing and you will gain the skills needed. Also you might try google for some guides.

Tyger
08-02-2013, 06:41 AM
There's P2W stuff in the store? I was unaware that the patriotic themed colour palette was full of pure win-sauce.

*runs off to see for himself*

*runs back*

Nope, gonna' have to say negatory on that one amigo. Either you rolled up into a Volge picnic or you seriously have issues trying to get your magic-missile macro to fire off properly.

Yewa
08-02-2013, 06:50 AM
When I read the title I thought he ran into the monolith :p

cusman
08-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Find and equip a shield with a low recharge delay like the Respark. Use EGO power like Cloak or Blur or Decoy to get out of trouble. Avoid Volge emmergencies solo until you feel your game skill is sufficiently improved. Equip defensive perks like more health, less damage, etc.

I assure you, nothing that you buy with BITS from Lockbox will make the game any easier if you can't handle any enemy with your starting weapons.

Try doing the Arkfal Hunter Codes thing to get a few extra starting weapons if you don't like the one you started with.

Thearl
08-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Try doing the Arkfal Hunter Codes thing to get a few extra starting weapons if you don't like the one you started with.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?113026-Great-List-of-Forum-Game-Guides

Codes and helpy stuff there :)

Pipes
08-02-2013, 08:48 AM
See you back on this forum for a "rage quit thread" when you meet Jackleg Joe :)

Why? Jack is a joke, I did him first time. Took forever but I didnt drop once.
I also did Nim first time too, tho granted I was 1.5k ego, he knocked me down on round 1 because lulz random deciding wether they want to hit you or not bullets, but other than that.

I really dont understand how anyone has trouble with anything bar the Volge at all, the game is TOO easy.

jazz
08-02-2013, 08:59 AM
these threads are great, it's like a new Defiance soap opera everyday to waste time till the dlc comes out ;)

I think the "...I could play it while on my exercise bike to burn a lot of calories..." gives us a pretty good indication on how serious we should take the OP's concerns

Gomly
08-02-2013, 09:05 AM
I also did Nim first time too, tho granted I was 1.5k ego

Is that fight supposed to be difficult?

I did it first time when my ego was about 560 ish.

Roll, shoot, roll, shoot ... rinse and repeat until bad things fall over.

Blondin
08-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I also did Nim first time too, tho granted I was 1.5k ego, he knocked me down on round 1 because lulz random deciding wether they want to hit you or not bullets, but other than that.

I really dont understand how anyone has trouble with anything bar the Volge at all, the game is TOO easy.
I agree, but if this guy has trouble fighting mobs in open world, I will not bet on him when he will encounter Jack :)

Indra Echo
08-02-2013, 09:26 AM

It's part of the learning curve and not part of the learning to fight curve. Some of this game is just about learning what to avoid and when to fight. It's far different from other games that have this "kill everything" strategy where you just push ahead into mobs and expect to come out shining. Appropriate use of cover. Appropriate use of "run the other way". Appropriate use of EGO power to save your life.

What seems to be happening to you happened to me the first time I hit San Francisco. There are foes there called Dark Matter and I underestimated how tough they are. On the roads and sometimes in fields are things called emergencies. These are not necessary and are not mission related. Right now there are some exceptionally tough ones that involve the Volge and the Afflicted. Go around them until you are comfortable with what you are doing in the game.

At this point the only foes you should even try to fight are hellbugs (smaller ones) and mutants. You might even want to avoid all emergencies and work on just the missions or even some hellbug arkfalls--I didn't even do a lot of the missions but focused on arkfalls at the beginning to get a lot of scrip, salvage, and loot. And now they also help you gain weapon xp (makes your weapons a bit more powerful with each level) and you will also gain EGO ranking and perks which can help a lot.

As for the emergencies and the Volge specifically. They will not generally attack you unless you attack or or hit them with your car or get too close and stay too long. They also are not fooled by cloak so it's not that big a help. If you shoot them from a distance they will run at you and are very effective at targeting you. They have a huge aggro area once they perceive you as a threat, so they'll pursue you. The best way to attack them is to get in close use the stuff around them (trucks) as cover and attack and retreat behind it, but I don't suggest new people do this. So, do what you can to avoid them.

To avoid them---

If they are not near a mission you are trying to do go around. On roads don't just speed through places since emergencies can spawn slowly and you might end up right in the middle of the Volge just as they spawn. They will attack and your vehicle will be destroyed and take time to be able to spawn again. If the Volge are near a mission you need to do, try getting into a different phase. It's sort of like changing servers. If you have a friend in the game you can go to friend (if you aren't in their phase) or try logging off and on again. Then go back to the mission. If you are in a different phase, the Volge or other emergency may be gone. You might still re-enter in the same phase or they just might spawn at the same location all the time but it's worth a try.

But, understand that avoiding foes in this game is just as important as it is going headfirst into attacking. Learn how to evade, use cover, and use other tactics, including later on the appropriate use of different weapons like sniper rifles.

And if no matter what you do some foes are still right on top of a mission you want to do either come back later, use decoy if you have it to distract them, and then go and quickly accept the mission and get the heck out of the area, or call in some friends to help you get rid of them if you can.

Indra Echo
08-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Everyone has different abilities. Why not try and understand this and offer help instead of just saying "it's sooooo easy"? I don't excel at every game and in many if not most MP games, lag can be a big factor in determining success and failure or ease and difficulty. You may have things working FOR you, but not everyone has that.

I will say that for me Jackleg was harder than Nim, but only because it took me a long time to defeat him-I didn't know any "tricks" to beating him and just kept at it. But Nim was fairly easy because I'd played games that required strategy and not just straight up toughness before. I understood that half the battle with Nim was learning when and how to avoid his attacks and to not stand in one place attacking him for too long. And having fought him before the Volge came along made the Volge fairly easy as well (but they can still kick my butt). And Dark Matter can still kick it too. It's all about remembering my own weaknesses and not underestimating them.