PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED: Mobs Do Not Drop Legendaries (Oranges)

Cavadus
08-07-2013, 04:19 PM
This was too important to leave sitting around in just the PC forum so I'm re-posting this here.

Sorry for the magical disappearing post... Now posted from my dev account!

Aside from some errors which were patched out shortly after release, enemies will never drop legendary weapons. (There may be some rogue loot table out there which does, these things happen, but it is not intended.) We always want to encourage players to seek out and complete events. As such, legendary weapons only come from lock boxes and from large events which reward gear. Major arkfalls are the obvious events to do this, but sieges do as well. Eliminating high level gear from random drops prevents some kinds of undesirable play (such as farming an infinite spawn) and prevents very valuable items from plummeting into locations a player cannot reach. You have not seen rage like when a legendary falls between two crates.

Now, for a peak behind the curtain regarding Zoranth’s clever experiment:

Not all enemies are created equal, and, particularly, the biggest difference exists between “weenies”, “grunts”, and “elites.” After that, there are varying levels of elites, but the distinction between these three is most important. Weenies are enemies like skitterlings, drones, and mongrels. They do not drop valuable gear. Ever. They primarily drop ammo, scrip, and salvage.

Grunts are a little different. They have a chance of dropping gear, but that gear is capped at green. These enemies make up the “meat and potatoes” of any combat encounter with an enemy group. Since killing one of them is never a particularly significant event, they similarly never drop exceptional-quality items. Enforcers, Mattocks, and Blasters fall into this class of enemies.

Elites are a bit special, and they can drop higher-quality weapons, but they still never drop a legendary.

Okay, peek over. Shoo.

Zoranth’s experiment was clever, and I’m thrilled to see someone doing SCIENCE! to our loot drop system. However, due to the target he chose, the experiment was also flawed. To get a better idea of our loot distribution, you should do a survey which uses a full event as the test environment. Enemies which spawn repeatedly in a single event, particularly infinite spawns, have reduced loot tables. (Specifically, you should have found a lot of ammo.)

One of the major systems we are working on going forward is to make this distinction more obvious and to make the methods of earning awards more concrete and explicit. We’re going to be calling out enemy classes with HUD elements and other serious quality of life improvements. That promise does not help you optimize your play right now, so I’ll give you a bit of optimal play advice.
1. Complete events – ark keys are the quickest way to earn lock boxes, and they can be earned in arkfalls, coop maps, sieges, and conflict sites. (The repeatable combat areas featured in most missions.)
a. Also, MOST experience comes from event completion, and that is important to know for folk who have not reached max EGO rating.
2. Focus on elites and other large enemies – these are the ONLY guys who will drop rare gear.
3. Complete major arkfalls – that equipment you get at the end IS a lock box. (They are special lock boxes, but lock boxes none the less.)

Originally posted here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?115023-The-Drop-Rates-and-Loot-system-is-Broken&p=1123853#post1123853).

JxSiN
08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
So the people who got legendary scavenger snipers off of a skittering were lieing? The heck you say!

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Saw this earlier and am really glad to have gotten a proper answer. Think from here on out I will only listen to things Trick says. So far he has been the only one to give good info, and does a good job explaining decisions with actual insight into the game. He gave an actual answer to why turret was removed from raptor, has given some good detail on the dlc and patch etc...

Over all Trion has shown they are trying to communicate and be more clear in any info given, but like with this example it seems some employees just are not given proper or up to date info to pass along.

TigrisMorte
08-07-2013, 05:40 PM
So the people who got legendary scavenger snipers off of a skittering were lieing? The heck you say!

Kindly show the post where someone said they got one off a skitterling.
Oh, you mean you're lying and can't spell it, ok. Carry on.

alienstookmybeer
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
This just in: Legendary drops from enemy mobs has been updated to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

x2 points if you saw that coming

IGears
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
you know this means that Sledge lied about it.

Notturno
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
This just confirms what everyone almost universally agreed was fact. I'm not surprised this is the case, and I agree with his reasoning on not having legendary drops. I do like their logic of using legendary drops as arkfall and siege rewards; it funnels players into that type of content, which in turn makes those events more fun. I like the lack of emphasis on solo grinding a singular spot, and instead focusing on chasing arkfalls and sieges.

Whoosh

3rdpig
08-07-2013, 06:25 PM

You do realize that a person can be mistaken without having intentionally lied? Before you accuse him of lying you might want to consider that.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Most likely it was really old info he believed was still true. It is sad but most Trion employees should probably hire a fact checker to read each post/statement before they type/speak.

A s0t
08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Most likely it was really old info he believed was still true. It is sad but most Trion employees should probably hire a fact checker to read each post/statement before they type/speak.
the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing... the new EP gives us hope

JxSiN
08-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Autocorrect on my phone. I also was being facetious. You can untwist your panties now

JxSiN
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Whoosh

Doubt he gets that :p

JxSiN
08-07-2013, 06:47 PM
You do realize that a person can be mistaken without having intentionally lied? Before you accuse him of lying you might want to consider that.

I don't think Sledge lied, I think he just relayed info that was given to him. I was quick to jump on that bandwagon blaming him for that, but I have learned that they just take whatever info they are given at face value and just repeat it. Makes them look like the horse's rear to us and the unknown dev that gave them that info gets off scot-free

Reichlyn
08-07-2013, 06:53 PM
This was too important to leave sitting around in just the PC forum so I'm re-posting this here.

Originally posted here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?115023-The-Drop-Rates-and-Loot-system-is-Broken&p=1123853#post1123853).

Ive still never even seen a purple drop off of a mob. Ive only seen them in lockboxes or Arkfall/Siege awards.

IGears
08-07-2013, 07:02 PM

so when Sledge said that he, personally, pick up a orange item from a mutant mob.. he didn't lie?

JxSiN
08-07-2013, 07:04 PM
so when Sledge said that he, personally, pick up a orange item from a mutant mob.. he didn't lie?

D'oh, I forgot about that one. Statement retracted, lol

A s0t
08-07-2013, 07:10 PM

do you really think he is playing on the retail version or a better version where every gun is orange

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-07-2013, 07:26 PM
do you really think he is playing on the retail version or a better version where every gun is orange

No he gets to play with dev weapons that aren't even in game. Wish I could remember which live stream he was talki g about it but yeah he definitely isn't playing same copy as us

Olaf
08-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Well it is possible he was not lying (if I understand correctly what Trick said at the beginning of his post - see quote below) - maybe Sledge picked it up close to launch, we will never know..

Aside from some errors which were patched out shortly after release, enemies will never drop legendary weapons. (There may be some rogue loot table out there which does, these things happen, but it is not intended.)

IGears
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Well it is possible he was not lying (if I understand correctly what Trick said at the beginning of his post - see quote below) - maybe Sledge picked it up close to launch, we will never know..

Proof that he did

Rare loot weekend
05-10-2013 08:05 PM #17

Me! Got my first Legendary at Ego 223 and it was a sexy shotgun. Dropped off a final wave of enemies during an emergency.

And this is what he said weeks ago

Do Orange weapons drop in game or only from Loot boxes?
07-26-2013 01:10 PM #33

1.) Orange (Legendary) weapons have a chance to drop off all enemies within the game. Some have higher drop rates chances than others, but it can range from .05% - 5% drop rate.

2.) Orange (Legendary) weapons can be gained out of all lock boxes. The higher tier lock boxes have a higher chance of dropping them, but they all have a chance.

Fancypants
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm just glad that they finally admitted the whole turret thing was true but wasn't coming, that I can't worry about the next li... "not lie" or "mistaken reality" they tell.

Fancypants
08-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Proof that he did

Rare loot weekend

http://sistasmiff.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/osimpson.jpg
Maybe Sledge is colorblind and orange looks li... okay, I got nothing.

IGears
08-07-2013, 07:59 PM
http://sistasmiff.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/osimpson.jpg
Maybe Sledge is colorblind and orange looks li... okay, I got nothing.

lol if the glove fits,...

crasher
08-07-2013, 07:59 PM
No he gets to play with dev weapons that aren't even in game. Wish I could remember which live stream he was talki g about it but yeah he definitely isn't playing same copy as us
That was the KTAM interview where he was talking about his 'Lightning' rifle that complimented his 'Thunder'. The devs made it for him, and it wasn't designed for general population.

IAMVILELENT
08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
#Lol@thisgame

Thr0nes
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM
1.) Orange (Legendary) weapons have a chance to drop off all enemies within the game. Some have higher drop rates chances than others, but it can range from .05% - 5% drop rate.

Sorry, I trust sledge because I like his numbers better.

cusman
08-07-2013, 09:46 PM
About a month ago, one of my Clan members got an Orange weapon drop off a Hulker Emergency kill. Or so they said... but no other occurrence reported by anyone in my clan of either orange or purple.

Trick said it is possible orange loot drop might still be floating around in some loot table they haven't cleared of oranges yet so my clan member might have hit that.

The best gear drops I have gotten myself have been from solo'ing Volge emergencies. Everything else gives instant salvage loots.

The only Oranges I have gotten are from Tier 4, with one from Tier 3. I have decided to just stick with the Tier 4.

Being higher EGO (currently tick over 4500) has definitely improved the general quality of dropped loot. All 4 mod slots, nanos, quality of bonuses, etc.

Satsuki
08-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Proof that he did

Rare loot weekend

Or he could have picked one up before it got fixed and simply didn't know that it had been made impossible. I highly doubt he would flat out lie about something so obvious.

Arsenic_Touch
08-07-2013, 09:56 PM

He sure is mistaken a lot. Like when he said those synergy mods were in game, right? or when the weapons and weapon stats were different in the live game from the beta? Oh and he clearly said he got a legendary off a drop, and he listed the loot drop chances.. so yes he must've been mistaken all this time.... riiight.

Arisax
08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
mobs doesnt even drop purples ...,got purples few times from big arkfalls tho

JxSiN
08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
He sure is mistaken a lot. Like when he said those synergy mods were in game, right? or when the weapons and weapon stats were different in the live game from the beta? Oh and he clearly said he got a legendary off a drop, and he listed the loot drop chances.. so yes he must've been mistaken all this time.... riiight.

The only time I ever believe all that I've heard or even write it down in my notebook is when it comes from Trick. The only time I've ever questioned him was when he got the answer from another dev.

A s0t
08-08-2013, 12:32 AM
i bet there not nerfed to crap that forces you to play with other people too, HELLO it is a single player game

Jay Common
08-08-2013, 05:36 AM
I'm just glad they clarified that the loot gained at the end of an arkfall or siege is actually a lock box. I always just thought it was random loot from a table of things to drop, especially since for the first few months of the game it was impossible to get anything other than shields and grenades. It adds incentive to at least keep trying. I personally have never seen an orange reward from a siege or an arkfall, but at least now I won't think anyone who says they have is a trolling liar.

In my experience, purple drops are also much more frequent as loot from the end of an arkfall and siege than dropping out of a regular lock box (regardless of Tier), so it makes sense that he used the term 'special kind of lock box'. Thanks for posting this here Cavadus!

Zugo
08-08-2013, 06:30 AM
I'm baffled.
I had an orange drop in the instance leading up to Jackleg Joe. Was just after game launch.

Anyway, I'm curious about the "special" lockbox given at arkfalls. I figured it was T2, but that's obviously not the case given the "special" adjective.

Blondin
08-08-2013, 06:59 AM
If I was Sledge I'll be upset, because someone told him shtako about orange loot rate.

How a CM can do a good job if his colleagues don't give him right info...?

Jay Common
08-08-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm baffled.
I had an orange drop in the instance leading up to Jackleg Joe. Was just after game launch.

Anyway, I'm curious about the "special" lockbox given at arkfalls. I figured it was T2, but that's obviously not the case given the "special" adjective.

It's probably just a T2 with enhanced drop rates for purples. I seem to get most of my purples from the end of arkfalls.

I don't know for sure, but that's what I would guess.

Hiero Glyph
08-08-2013, 07:02 AM
If I was Sledge I'll be upset, because someone told him shtako about orange loot rate.

How a CM can do a good job if his colleagues don't give him right info...?

One of his quotes was based on playing the game as he stated that he got an orange to drop. Certainly this was not based on what someone else told him.

Maitreakow
08-08-2013, 07:06 AM
One of his quotes was based on playing the game as he stated that he got an orange to drop. Certainly this was not based on what someone else told him.

I will refer you to the portion in red. I believe Sledge's drop happened shortly after launch...

Aside from some errors which were patched out shortly after release, enemies will never drop legendary weapons. (There may be some rogue loot table out there which does, these things happen, but it is not intended.) We always want to encourage players to seek out and complete events. As such, legendary weapons only come from lock boxes and from large events which reward gear. Major arkfalls are the obvious events to do this, but sieges do as well. Eliminating high level gear from random drops prevents some kinds of undesirable play (such as farming an infinite spawn) and prevents very valuable items from plummeting into locations a player cannot reach. You have not seen rage like when a legendary falls between two crates.

N3gativeCr33p
08-08-2013, 07:08 AM

I'm left wondering if the punishment will actually fit the crime.

Zugo
08-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Aside from some errors which were patched out shortly after release, enemies will never drop legendary weapons.

Arrrgh, why.

Lasse B
08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I will refer you to the portion in red. I believe Sledge's drop happened shortly after launch...

Let me refer you to the sentence right under the red one.

Maitreakow
08-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Let me refer you to the sentence right under the red one.

I think we are both trying to say the same thing.

There is a chance Sledge got his orange drop before they "fixed" the issue.

Am I correct?

Azimov
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM

A lie is a false statement to a person or group made by another person or group who knows it is not the whole truth, intentionally.

I do not believe the Hammer lied. Either he spoke based on knowledge of a build of the game that was made obsolete by a succeeding release or someone misinformed him.

All untruths are not lies.

jazz
08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
good to get this issue settled once and for all and get some concrete answers from the devs

Hiero Glyph
08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
good to get this issue settled once and for all and get some concrete answers from the devs

Yeah, how many months did it take? This should have been a simple answer or addressed as a bug that needed to be fixed. Instead the devs ignored the issue, continued to provide misinformation, and only recently clarified the issue. While having an answer is a resolution of sorts, why was Trion unable to clarify such things immediately? It makes me wonder what the devs really know about the game but are not telling us. Ninja changes indeed.

Sanguinesun
08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm left wondering if the punishment will actually fit the crime.

From Sledgehammer70's Twitter account about an hour ago today:

"I have accepted a job @EA and will be working on Titanfallgame. I have much love for the @Defiance community, thank you for everything!"

https://twitter.com/sledgehammer70

Just so folks know. He's technically returning to EA as he used to work for them previously if memory serves.

crasher
08-08-2013, 11:27 AM

"I have accepted a job @EA and will be working on Titanfallgame. I have much love for the @Defiance community, thank you for everything!"

Just so folks know. He's technically returning to EA as he used to work for them previously if memory serves.

A.) I liked the guy.

Rhetorical:
B.) Is this because of a better offer, the heat in the game (hard to believe a CM would survive with thin skin), or is he a sacrificial lamb?

Good Luck, Sledge.... I liked reading your stuff.

Sanguinesun
08-08-2013, 11:33 AM
A.) I liked the guy.

Rhetorical:
B.) Is this because of a better offer, the heat in the game (hard to believe a CM would survive with thin skin), or is he a sacrificial lamb?

I can only speculate but Im willing to bet this wasnt a sudden consideration by him.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
A.) I liked the guy.

Rhetorical:

I'm sure there is a lot of details behind this move that we will never know. Guest we can just say good luck and hope his replacement does a good job communicating with the community. Wonder how this will effect tomorrows live stream....hope Trick is on for entire show.

N3gativeCr33p
08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I can only speculate but Im willing to bet this wasnt a sudden consideration by him.

I am leaning in the same direction.

Arsenic_Touch
08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm sure there is a lot of details behind this move that we will never know. Guest we can just say good luck and hope his replacement does a good job communicating with the community. Wonder how this will effect tomorrows live stream....hope Trick is on for entire show.

Let's hope his replacement is given the right info this time.

Thr0nes
08-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Good, staying the hell away from EA.