PDA

View Full Version : Feel like Defiance isnt getting a fair shot at all

Lyvandil
03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Just been looking around. It seems that Defiance is really only getting coverage on the television show. The video game itself is getting hardly any attention. Not to mention the constant pre order batteling between steam for pc and the consoles. Xbox and Sony not even getting along. Set back after set back on preorder by amazon. More hype for other video games coming out. My ego rewards being locked even after entering all 120 codes. Console beta's not delivering. It feels like Trion isn't really putting effort behind they're video game at all. I'm concerned as so much time has been invested on this not to mention getting the pre order ultimate edition. Anyone else thinking that theyre not really giving this game a fair shot.

TheAmazingMasterCheif
03-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Just been looking around. It seems that Defiance is really only getting coverage on the television show. The video game itself is getting hardly any attention. Not to mention the constant pre order batteling between steam for pc and the consoles. Xbox and Sony not even getting along. Set back after set back on preorder by amazon. More hype for other video games coming out. My ego rewards being locked even after entering all 120 codes. Console beta's not delivering. It feels like Trion isn't really putting effort behind they're video game at all. I'm concerned as so much time has been invested on this not to mention getting the pre order ultimate edition. Anyone else thinking that theyre not really giving this game a fair shot.

Well I mean on xbox there is loads of ads for defiance EVERYWHERE xD On the dashboard, IGN APP, GAMESPOT APP, A whole ad defiance bit showing you trailers / avatar things I mean that's quite alot of attention To be honest On the xbox atleast

Exes
I am thinking you are bit overreacting. I had my fair amount of fun in beta and thus bought the DDE and Season Pass.

Dixa

steam pre-orders would like a word with you

Kroesis
03-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Nope.
/10chars/

SphaZ
03-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Considering the TV show tie in, I also wouldn't be surprised to see ads for the game during the show :)

Buruko
03-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Who's "they"?

Tigercml
03-30-2013, 01:19 PM
My home page is Animenewsnetwork.com and they have had a Defiance banner advertisement for the last couple months. Other than them though I haven't seen many ads on other websites.

insomnia247
03-30-2013, 01:21 PM

You know I was wondering and kinda feeling the same way about the game not getting enough hype. If people see the commercial and they dont dig for a little information, they think its just for a TV show. If you go to "gaming" websites there's no talk or buzz about the game. Underhyped, maybe. I think they're waiting for the show to start, to see what happens.

If you feel as though the beta didn't deliver, you have to remember it's a beta... I kinda expected mic's not to work. sound to get choppy...

But to me the beta for the PS3 was the straw that broke the camel's back, and made me pre-order the game after a couple hours of play.

Mok
03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Considering i seen alot of people playing the beta on the 360 and steam has reached tier 3 rewards (congrats to everyone who helped it reach that far) i think the game is doing fairly well.

Xiiego94
03-30-2013, 01:23 PM
My favorite place to go for videogame news and the like is, ps3trophies.org and that website also displayed ads along with Arkfall Codes!!!

Loric
03-30-2013, 01:23 PM
this guy a troll? Have you seen the steam pre-orders ALONE they jumped from reward 1 to full bar in what? 2 days? im on pc and i must say i do see ads around alot not to mention third place in steam sales and the season pass is 7th i think

Mcdragon
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
well lookin on the forums id say there has been more than enough info being passed around. the forums are super active and it only takes a word of mouth to transfer alot of information. thats how most of the movie business works. people go watch the movie the first day then on word of mouth the second day usually crushes first day sales. same thing can be applied to gaming

Bullguard
03-30-2013, 01:29 PM
i have seen a lot of adds on youtube for both tv show and the game seen fair amount of adds on other sites also

it was the beta that convinced me to buy the game i had a lot of fun just looking around so im hope full with the full release that it should have lots to keep me busy. the few forums i visit often that have been discussing it so far people seem pretty positive but there all pc gamers not tested and console stuff or read up on how the betas went for them

GT3000
03-30-2013, 01:31 PM
There's a two story ad in Times Square. Not much else you can ask for.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGiYy2hCEAAhAHC.jpg

Masoner
03-30-2013, 01:32 PM
I am thinking you are bit overreacting. I had my fair amount of fun in beta and thus bought the DDE and Season Pass.

This man is correct. The OP is acting like a spoiled brat that doesn't think what he likes it getting enough attention from everyone.

Tigercml
03-30-2013, 01:42 PM

Whoa! This makes me want to hop in my car right now cross the Lincoln tunnel and go into the city just to see this. Maybe grab some Pom Frites on the way back lol.

Big Bear
03-30-2013, 01:43 PM
The Xbox beta was a bit of a mess, the Ps3 seemed fine though. The game was never going to get the same attention as the AAA titles that have been released recently. That doesn't matter though. A decent Metacritic score and good word of mouth should be enough to generate buzz

Dixa
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
The Xbox beta was a bit of a mess, the Ps3 seemed fine though. The game was never going to get the same attention as the AAA titles that have been released recently. That doesn't matter though. A decent Metacritic score and good word of mouth should be enough to generate buzz

most xbox betas are a mess.

metacritic scores are frequently trolled. you have to filter it by legit reviewers not the 0 scoring kiddies who didn't actually play the game.

technophebe
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
No I'd noticed that it doesn't seem to have as much advertising muscle behind it as you'd expect from a triple-A title, at least online anyway. None of the major gaming sites (IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku) have been devoting much space to it.

Since it's running in conjunction with the TV series perhaps Trion and Sy-Fy have an agreement along the lines of Sy-Fy covering more of the promotional costs whereas Trion of course have developed the game. Just a guess.

Big Bear
03-30-2013, 01:59 PM
most xbox betas are a mess.

metacritic scores are frequently trolled. you have to filter it by legit reviewers not the 0 scoring kiddies who didn't actually play the game.

True. Some of the Xbox betas have been poor. The professional Metacritic reviews are extremely important to publishers. One developer had their bonus withheld because their game didn't score an 85. Personally I'm not a fan of the site. Especially the user reviews sections which seems to attract the biggest clowns on the planet

Quipwicked
03-30-2013, 02:04 PM
I think OP is forgetting that the main form of advertising will be the TV show itself. Don't think for a second that they won't remind you multiple times per episode and through the week that Deviance is a TV show AND a game. The game is easy enough for anyone to play it and if you happen to not know about the game and start getting immersed in the TV show, then why wouldn't you want to play the game as well?

Big Bear
03-30-2013, 02:08 PM
No I'd noticed that it doesn't seem to have as much advertising muscle behind it as you'd expect from a triple-A title, at least online anyway. None of the major gaming sites (IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku) have been devoting much space to it.

Since it's running in conjunction with the TV series perhaps Trion and Sy-Fy have an agreement along the lines of Sy-Fy covering more of the promotional costs whereas Trion of course have developed the game. Just a guess.

I dont think its had much promotion here in the U.K compared to the U.S. The Sci-Fi channel have funded the promotion and I think they put a fair chunk of cash into the game as well. I expect the American Sci-Fi is a lot better and more popular than the one we have which only seems to show crappy b movies

cfStatic
03-30-2013, 02:27 PM
I see Defiance stuff everywhere. Honestly it would be more weird if it was non-existent given the tie in with the show(and how much money SyFy is or isn't willing to throw at people to get it to succeed).

Angeleus09
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM

Yes most of the marketing budget is currently going to the show and that's to be expected. The show has a potentially larger audience as it's easier to watch a show than play a game. The cross-marketing of the game during the show is obvious and easy and encourages people from passively enjoying the world to interacting with it.

There was an 8 page or so feature spread on Defiance in the last issue of GameInformer and depending on which of the 376,485,596 gaming websites you visit you'll see banner ads all over.

The pre-ordering on Steam clearly highlights the game's growing popularity along with the 895 forum posts about people upgrading to the UE, unable to upgrade to the UE but wanting to or having their UE delayed. I can't remember the last time I heard this much at about the most expensive edition of a game which is typically the least ordered so take what you from that.

MS and SONY haven't ever really "gotten along" as they are competitors so I have to imagine you are talking about cross-platform play which Trion has already stated could have been done but wasn't because of MS.

The Amazon setbacks are contained only to the 360 UE in the UK which definitely sucks for them but isn't a crippling blow.

The EGO rewards issue has been addressed again and again and again and again. They know. I think I read it was only a display issue on the EGO page and that you would be getting everything once you liked your account.

The console betas definitely delivered. They delivered a build that was two versions old (something that has been acknowledged in an e-mail from Trion Worlds) but none the less gave tons of people a taste of what's to come, stress tested the servers and got a LOT of people talking about the game, generating buzz and telling their friends.

Is Defiance getting the same advertising treatment as CoD or Assassin's Creed? No, but Trion Worlds also doesn't have the deep pockets that those publishers do. Just relax, things will shake out.

gjwhite66
03-30-2013, 02:51 PM
I can't go half an hour without seeing some form of ad for Defiance, the game and tv show. Not sure where you are looking OP, it's kinda everywhere. And that Times Square billboard is amazing

Pain
03-30-2013, 03:02 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've seen Defiance ads on YouTube.

Grebo Greyblade
03-30-2013, 03:02 PM
I saw an advert for the game when watching tv lastnight i think it was on E4.

MattN
03-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Trion doesn't need to spend much $ on marketing, the show will do it for them.

After the show air, there will another big wave of new players join.

Dixa
03-30-2013, 03:17 PM
60% of swtor's massive budget was squandered by EA on marketing.

Defy
03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
i've seen many advertisemens for the game on various gaming websites

also IGN did a 1 hour gamplay

and there were many giveaways for beta by Raptr and mmorpg.com

Defy
03-30-2013, 04:12 PM
also right now its on the top 10 steam sellers list

Hornbaker
03-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Just because you see the ads on other websites doesn't mean that they're pushing them everywhere...it means that at some point, you've shown interest (or visited this site or other sites dedicated to Defiance) in something and the online advertisers are now specifically targeting you because you're the 'low hanging fruit' and more likely to click on the ads. Unfortunately for Defiance/Trion, they're pretty much wasting their money on those of us that have already pre-ordered.

But that would ultimately be why all of us are seeing a lot of Defiance ads online :)

OwenBDead
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Well i seen a TV ad of Defiance on Showcase tonight, talking about their "exclusive" show. Which surprised me, thought it was on SciFy channel only, meaning i wouldn't get to see it.

Would not have even seen the ad if i didn't turn on the TV in the garage while i had a smoke.
My point is, just because you don't see much ads for the game/show, doesn't mean they ain't out there and you just missed them/ don't visit that site.

Mack
03-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Im starting to see ads for it now on like youtube, facebook, and etc but i think most of their advertising will come from their television show.

GoDZooKii
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
iv got 20+ friends getting it on xbox so i don't think they have did a bad job. also you know you've got a mouth? spread the word people are the best ads.

JerZey CJ
03-30-2013, 07:54 PM

Shame the ad doesn't even mention the game, you would think they'd at least mention it in smaller font under the title or something. That could have gotten us some more players.

Rapkannibale
03-30-2013, 11:08 PM
How much marketing hype was there for Minecraft? A good game will become popular even without huge marketing pushes. Marketing helps with initial player base but at least on PC I think that is covered. The long term success of the game will deend on how fun it is and how regularly they update it with good content.

Ozzalin
03-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Well...
The show is only starting on April 15, i see tons of ads on Youtube already, and outside as well not to mention one of the best marketing way known to mankind: Mouth to Ear! Oh...
And mine right here!

CAN YOU SEE IT? :D

RelativeBlue
03-31-2013, 12:48 AM
Don't get discouraged, Lyvandil. Because Defiance is everywhere you'd expect video games to be. Even some places you wouldn't.