PDA

View Full Version : allow us to load characters from the official client

nitroz76
08-09-2013, 08:42 PM
starting new is no bueno.
Especially with garbage weapons.

How the hell are we supossed to test the game when we are shooting defrosted peas at the enemy?

Samyaza
08-09-2013, 09:05 PM
It was asked in the live stream

answer... plainly is the same as it always is... "no, not at this time"

Jinto
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Its not different that the beta tests of old. i really dont see a need to have my character on the Alpha Test Server as i plan to try out everything from the start with a fresh character and seeing as its a Test i dont expect anything to be permanent so if they do a update wipe it wont really bother me :/

Secondly why cause more work for the Devs when they could put their time to something more useful like bugs/glitches and maybe the DLC packs *shrugs*

Atticus Batman
08-09-2013, 09:45 PM
If they allowed that then you would load your character back onto the main server and either have weapons or bugs that you should not have. Copying code back and forth like that could very easily coorupt your character and possibly the game more than needed.

Valethar
08-09-2013, 10:15 PM
If they allowed that then you would load your character back onto the main server and either have weapons or bugs that you should not have. Copying code back and forth like that could very easily coorupt your character and possibly the game more than needed.

You've never actually participated in a test environment with a character cloning process before have you?

It's a one way trip. You copy the character (not move it) from production to testing. Your character never leaves the production server, and you cannot copy the test environment character back to production.

It's not exactly a new or revolutionary process, and it's not one with which Trion is unfamiliar, as they use this exact procedure with Rift.

MacDeath
08-10-2013, 04:59 AM
You've never actually participated in a test environment with a character cloning process before have you?

It's a one way trip. You copy the character (not move it) from production to testing. Your character never leaves the production server, and you cannot copy the test environment character back to production.

It's not exactly a new or revolutionary process, and it's not one with which Trion is unfamiliar, as they use this exact procedure with Rift.
I too would like to copy my chars from Live to test. However, we can CLAIM a LOT of stuff from the store so it's not like our noobs are unarmed.

Myria
08-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Absent the ability to copy a character from live, a lot of times I've seen games use a character on the PTR who can insta-level you by whatever amount, as well as often provide currency and/or transport to anywhere in the game world.

Probably easier to implement, and it would at least be something that would allow for testing content more on the level people are used to rather than trying to compare low level apples to high level citrus.

Valethar
08-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I too would like to copy my chars from Live to test. However, we can CLAIM a LOT of stuff from the store so it's not like our noobs are unarmed.

This is very true.

While I understand why folks want the character copy option, I also understand why Trion wants everyone to start fresh for the moment. There are a lot of changes being made, and I'm sure they want to see what sort of impact those changes are going to have on lowbies and newbies first.

Billy Guile
08-10-2013, 09:11 PM
isn't the idea to force players to use stuff they typically wouldn't use with their original character? how are you gonna find the bugs to fix if you use only a select amount of equipment? or am i missing the point?

Atticus Batman
08-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Absent the ability to copy a character from live, a lot of times I've seen games use a character on the PTR who can insta-level you by whatever amount, as well as often provide currency and/or transport to anywhere in the game world.

Probably easier to implement, and it would at least be something that would allow for testing content more on the level people are used to rather than trying to compare low level apples to high level citrus.

Every pic and vid I have seen posted by the testers shows that you have ALL the boosts. Isn't that good enough?