PDA

View Full Version : Physical Copy Preorder- not entitled to play

Fireswraith
03-30-2013, 03:17 PM
So long long time ago I preordered my Collector's Edition from GameStop, and a long long time ago I entered my preorder code for Defiance. Currently when I try to download/patch Defiance I get the not entitled to play message, and changing passwords hasn't done anything (not that understand how something like that would help in the first place).

Question to others is this, has ANYONE out there who has preordered a physical copy from GameStop or Amazon or where ever been able to preload/download/patch whatever Defiance?

I'm trying real hard to be remain polite in all this, but you mean to tell me that forking over $150.00 for your game doesn't get me a damn preload? I've got to waste maybe 3+ hours (depending on how many people are also patching the game) first patching while everyone else that less gets to play before us?

If this is just an issue with some people that preordered a physical and not everyone I can somewhat understand, OK not really. But if everyone that got a nice Collector's Edition gets, quite literally, screwed out of a preload....... then talk about a one fingered salute.

JBoneFX
03-30-2013, 03:19 PM
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?11996-Anyone-with-the-ENTITLEMENT-msg-get-their-email-yet

this helped me...

Xtheoneandonly
03-30-2013, 03:22 PM
I bought a physical collector's edition from Gamestop as well and have found myself in the same situation as you. However, it's a physical copy, not digital, so downloading the game ahead of time shouldn't have been a part of your expectations. That's why you're getting a hard copy of the disk, so you don't have to download the game. The fact that they announced a preload should be looked on as a bonus, and if it's only for digital editions that were going to download the game anyway, then so be it. Just be patient and wait until you have your disk. Getting into the game a little bit later than other people isn't going to put you at any disadvantage whatsoever.

Fireswraith
03-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Bought Collector's Edition physical copies of WAR, Age of Conan, and SWTOR and was able to preload and play a few days before it arrived in the mail. Why should this be any different? Point is everyone that has a preorder code entered should be able to preload before the release date; and should have a grace period of playability.

Kadirra
03-31-2013, 02:13 PM
I bought a physical collector's edition from Gamestop as well and have found myself in the same situation as you. However, it's a physical copy, not digital, so downloading the game ahead of time shouldn't have been a part of your expectations. That's why you're getting a hard copy of the disk, so you don't have to download the game. The fact that they announced a preload should be looked on as a bonus, and if it's only for digital editions that were going to download the game anyway, then so be it. Just be patient and wait until you have your disk. Getting into the game a little bit later than other people isn't going to put you at any disadvantage whatsoever.

As I mentioned in another thread, even if you get the disks you still have to do the downloads of the patches which people are saying takes about 6 hours or so. That's six hours we could not be wasting, while others are playing. Sure we get disks, but that isn't the whole of the game. Much has changed since it went gold.

I'm still hoping they do something for those who did order hardcopies, especially the Ultimate Collector's edition, so they do not have to wait to download that patch after they bring home the box. They'd just need to input their key code from the box and play.

I agree with Fireswraith, in that all those who had a preorder code entered should be able to download the game and have a grace period of playability until they can get their code put in so everyone can start at the same time.

Skeety
03-31-2013, 02:32 PM
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?11996-Anyone-with-the-ENTITLEMENT-msg-get-their-email-yet

this helped me...

Yes, that link helped me too! After changing my Trion account password I was able to obtain additional preload. Odd that the password change was needed for that, the need to do it was probably unintended.

Senel
03-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, that link helped me too! After changing my Trion account password I was able to obtain additional preload. Odd that the password change was needed for that, the need to do it was probably unintended.

Unintended but totally useful fix glad we found it.

Valethar
03-31-2013, 02:35 PM

this helped me...

Didn't work for me. I got about 3 megs or so of patcher files, and the message that I'm not entitled, even after changing the PW.

Going to delete the installer and try again. Maybe that'll do the trick.

EDIT: Nope. Trion just hates physical box players I guess.

Prophet of Entropy
03-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Bought Collector's Edition physical copies of WAR, Age of Conan, and SWTOR and was able to preload and play a few days before it arrived in the mail. Why should this be any different? Point is everyone that has a preorder code entered should be able to preload before the release date; and should have a grace period of playability. disagree about the grace period, you bought a physical game, you should have to wait till you get it to play. it was your choice.

Kadirra
03-31-2013, 02:40 PM

Did you purchase a hardcopy from a Third Party and still were able to get this downloaded? This seems to be the solution for people who have the digital game key code. This thread is about those who preordered the hardcopy of the game and can't patch because they have no key until they get their game in hand, and that's not till the streetdate of April 2nd for most.

Arsenic_Touch
03-31-2013, 02:43 PM
disagree about the grace period, you bought a physical game, you should have to wait till you get it to play. it was your choice.

Agreed. That's the point of a digital order. It's just a case of people wanting their cake and eating it too. No where was any grace period advertised or even implied, it was assumed and people are non stop whining about it.

Kadirra
03-31-2013, 02:59 PM
disagree about the grace period, you bought a physical game, you should have to wait till you get it to play. it was your choice.

It was indeed some people's choice to pay the $150 for the Ultimate Collector's Edition. However, those people who are eagerly supporting the game and all its sundries are apt to be looked over if TRION isn't careful. In the future of buying games from TRION, people might not invest in the bells and whistles of the ultimate editions if they cannot get into the game when others can. As another poster mentioned, TRION has been very supportive of getting everyone in early that pre-ordered and even gave grace period for those who were unable to have the game in hand right at game launch. Maybe the players who played the RIFT beta had high expectations for TRION to come through for its players because they have in the past.

I'm not saying I am entitled to getting a preload. I'm saying that those who preordered hardcopies should gain some consideration in this matter. This isn't even a subscription model game, so a couple of days of grace period pre-key would not make a grand difference. Those who hadn't put in their actual game key by 'x' date would find their access nullified until they did.

Yes, the choice was ours for those of us who ordered hardcopies of the game, but we're asking for TRION to help us out so we can feel glad of the choice we made, and be able to play from launch with our friends who might have made other choices.

Jerreth
04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Agreed, This is an MMO, Its not like anyone can actually play until the servers open anyways. Just Because we made a "choice" to get the box does not mean we want to sit around on launch day twiddling our thumbs waiting for updates.

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
No, it doesn't mean that you want to, but it pretty much means that you have to. After all, that all-important little cd-key is snugly nestled inside the physical box you're getting, right next to that physical game disk.

Jerreth
04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
So let me understand this attitude. Because I am a bit old fashioned and want to actually get a Physical product for my money, and yes I know that the game actually resides on the server and the box and disk are actually just paper weights, call me stubborn. Does this mean that the Digital(Vaporware) purchasers of the game should be "entitled to play Defiance" ahead of us. And do not tell me that the game has to be downloaded for you and my files are on the disk as I am sure that after install there will still be a large update patch to go with it. This is not whining, this is just asking for fair and equal treatment. I know Trion is capable of letting us update the client.they did it with Rift.

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
So let me understand this attitude. Because I am a bit old fashioned and want to actually get a Physical product for my money, and yes I know that the game actually resides on the server and the box and disk are actually just paper weights, call me stubborn. Does this mean that the Digital(Vaporware) purchasers of the game should be "entitled to play Defiance" ahead of us. And do not tell me that the game has to be downloaded for you and my files are on the disk as I am sure that after install there will still be a large update patch to go with it. This is not whining, this is just asking for fair and equal treatment. I know Trion is capable of letting us update the client.they did it with Rift.

I preordered a physical copy as well, so I am in the same boat. However, whining that you'll play the game "a little later" is very childish. Besides, the only ones entitled to preload, as per the GMs, are those that bought directly from Trion and those digital purchasers who bought from competent retailers. Physical purchasers were never included in it from the getgo

Fireswraith
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Wrong. If better and worse gaming companies can do it Trion can get with the program and do it also. By that logic I could say that it was my choice to spend more money on the game than you did, I should get more game rewards than you period...... but that wouldn't be fair now would it?

Jerreth
04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
This was never intended to be a troll post. Simply and briefly then enough said, There are many other MMO publishers who let all pre-orders download the client early.

dirtyklingon
04-01-2013, 09:46 AM
it';s ok OP. this launch is a mess already for a lot of people

i agree that all preoerders should get a preorder code that allows preloading and any headstart there might be(there is none for his game)

while the usefullness of physical media is ever more dubious for mmo's, supporting local retailers should not penalize you from getting preloads.

ofc you may expect not to get access as the same time as everyone else, especially if your retailer doesn't have a midnight launch.

i have mixed feelings abotu grace periods, but i feel that discussion doesn't apply to defiance at all since there is no headstart with preorder.

Mordaeus
04-01-2013, 10:18 AM

I got the ultimate Edition- I had no choice in the fact weather it was digital or not All the game disc has is the small client that you still have to patch 10+ gigs.. so we should be fully entitled to pre download just like everyone else.. !!

Arsenic_Touch
04-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I got the ultimate Edition- I had no choice in the fact weather it was digital or not All the game disc has is the small client that you still have to patch 10+ gigs.. so we should be fully entitled to pre download just like everyone else.. !!

Give me one good reason why you should be fully entitled to download it like those that bought it digitally? since that is the point of buying it digitally in the first place so you can get it before the store opens.

Kadirra
04-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Give me one good reason why you should be fully entitled to download it like those that bought it digitally? since that is the point of buying it digitally in the first place so you can get it before the store opens.

You do realize that people are likely referring to the actual error message you get when you try to preload and aren't screaming 'we're entitled!', right?

The error message is : "Login successful but this account is not entitled to play DEFIANCE. Please contact Trion World Support."

It's their use of language, not necessarily the player being demanding.

It would be nice if those that preordered the game had the ability to preload the game. Especially if one pre-ordered the physical Ultimate Collector's Edition and are going to be supporting the game company with their $150 bucks which is above and beyond the cost of any of the digital packages. I'm certainly not screaming 'I'm entitled to this', but it'd be nice for the game company to reach out to those (like myself) who are fans and wanting to get their grubby little hands on everything Defiance. Not giving some consideration to those folks might discourage future purchases of the company's big packages in favor of the digital purchases.

Avenger
04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Sadly this treatment of physical copies is all too common, so it's not specific to Trion or Defiance.

If you preorder a physical copy of a game that launches on Steam it will not allow you to install from disk even if the game is available for preloading. It may let you register your key, and through that download the game, but that completely defeats the point in ordering a physical copy if you wanted that to avoid a lengthy download.

I really don't know why devs/publishers enforce this kind of restriction - they can surely allow you to install from disk as you still can't actually play the game until they enable it server side.

Mordaeus
04-01-2013, 10:39 AM

A good reason would be so i can play it at launch and not have to wait for the patcher that is loaded on the disc to download 10+gigs of game files....... DUH !! learn to read next time so I do not have to keep repeating myself.

Sydone
04-01-2013, 10:39 AM
This reminds me so much of another dark side game where the ppl who bought CE where complaining and whining that they should have more rights and higher standing than the digital buyers cause they used the most money. I know its not the case here, it just reminds of it, thats all.