PDA

View Full Version : New Chat System

zatchstar
08-10-2013, 12:46 PM
The new chat system does not display posts unless you have the whole window pulled up and are actively chatting. And you when you are in one of the sub-chats (area, clan, group, etc.) you can only see posts from that chat.

this is more an annoyance than anything but when DLC launches this will be complained about.

Satsuki
08-10-2013, 12:55 PM
I really, really hope they change that.. that will be a game breaker for me because I depend on the little chat box in the corner to communicate at all..

Muffinman
08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Im pretty sure its WIP, as the chat window on the bottom isn't functioning at all. Also, pressing enter shouldn't bring up the large chat window, pressing enter should allow you to type in the small box, but then you should be able to move your mouse and click on the chat window to bring up the larger one.

Sliverbaer
08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
There is an option in the Gameplay settings (and within the chat window) to increase/decrease the chat fade-out feature. So the chat pop-up can be visible longer. The chat rooms I saw where, Zone, Area, Group, Clan, Team. There are also System, EGO, and Rewards

It was acting weird for me, sometimes it would stay open, a couple lines of text and other times it would just completely shrink. I noticed it did this when picking up ammo drops and script and also when reloading at an ammo box.

I thought I took some screenshots, I'll post some in a few.

Sliverbaer
08-10-2013, 02:16 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/9479517973_26cf9aacec_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/9482307112_f0ebf5f0bf_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/9479514193_1763e9c413_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7298/9479473255_f9100726e8_c.jpg

Full size screenshots (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sliverbaer/sets/72157635017092238/)

DarknessEyes PT
08-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I really, really hope they change that.. that will be a game breaker for me because I depend on the little chat box in the corner to communicate at all..

It was bad and now its even worst, only way to type now is in full chat window. LOL

Satsuki
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM
If they keep that in the console versions as well, I may be forced to hang up Defiance wether I want to or not. The only way for me to talk to my team mates is quickly tapping enter on my keyboard (I play on Xbox but I have a full USB keyboard connected to it) and typing a message that pops up on the corner of their screens.

If I can't do that anymore, I won't be playing this game.

Iceberg
08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
The new chat system does not display posts unless you have the whole window pulled up and are actively chatting. And you when you are in one of the sub-chats (area, clan, group, etc.) you can only see posts from that chat.

this is more an annoyance than anything but when DLC launches this will be complained about.

You can edit the Filters of that chat to include other areas if you wish.

Sliverbaer
08-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm seeing that if I have this option maxxed, it leaves the chat window open. As long as your guild makes note of this option, you should be fine :-)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/9483092312_a46dcc3591_o.png

I am curious how moving around in the chat window will work on console though. Glad I also have a headset for PS3 as well as a keyboard. (I have a Logitech K400 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r)

Satsuki
08-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't mind it fading in and out, I wouldn't want it up all the time. I guess what I'm asking, since I don't know how it worked before on PC is this:

On console, if you hit Enter on a keyboard, on the bottom right side of the screen it will pop up a small window showing the last couple of messages, with a prompt to type. And when I put in a message, that little window pops up on my group's screen and they can just talk back to me. I don't have to bring up a full chat every time I type a message, and the full chat doesn't pop up on their screens. Do you think that will still be the case after the patch?

PolitelyWicked
08-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I honestly liked it the way it is, but everyone has their own opinions.

Iceberg
08-10-2013, 05:39 PM
The current chat on live retail servers sucks, and the chat on the Alpha test server sucks in all sorts of new ways.

Sliverbaer
08-10-2013, 05:56 PM
No idea how it will turn out, but as it is, the full big windows pops open when you press enter. It would be nice if it showed a few lines, even customizable amount, and then fade out over time. Enter once for quick text and twice for big window or something.

So it leaves that big list of text in there, with the fade maxed, but it seems it only shows the first 10 rows or whatever, it doesn't show anything new.

You can send tells though I found out...not sure if it is in production version or not....

/TELL [username]

Was able to send a few that way. Not sure if /REPLY works though.

Samyaza
08-10-2013, 07:20 PM
old system would of been just fine all they had to do was move the chat on the left, and the weapon read out on the right like any other blooded mmo out there...

Iceberg
08-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Whoever is in charge of the UI design needs to go download Star wars MMO, since its free to play now, and just look at how they do their chat boxes.

Valethar
08-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Whoever is in charge of the UI design needs to go download Star wars MMO, since its free to play now, and just look at how they do their chat boxes.

Or, now that they're going to be in Redwood with the Rift team, they could just walk down the hallway and talk to someone who actually knows how to do a UI.

Billy Guile
08-10-2013, 09:09 PM
the only real issue i had with the original chat, was the last line of text disappearing. if that stuck around, i would be just fine.

this newer system looks like its gonna cause a ruckus like OP said.

Rigir
08-10-2013, 09:11 PM
You can send tells though I found out...not sure if it is in production version or not....

/TELL [username]

Was able to send a few that way. Not sure if /REPLY works though.

You can already do this on the live server.

Skandrannon
08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
I've played quite a few games where you were able to dock chat where you wanted, and decide the size of the screen yourself.

Come to think of it, Eve Online has one of the best setups for stuff like that. You can have as many or as few things up as you want, up to the point of making it hard to see, or totally clear.

Would it be possible for us to do something like this? Also, I want the chat window up ALL THE TIME. I don't want to just see the last line or three, I want to be able to either see 4-10 lines so I can follow a convo while I'm at an arkfall or something, or could resize it myself.

Rumeyes
09-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't want to necro old threads, but is there any update on this? I just logged on after a month, pressed Enter, saw the full chat window pop up. Then i thought, you know what, I'll type something in vicinity (or Area). I couldn't read it in normal mode. Guess what, neither did anyone in Area. So I didn't get any reply.

FIX THIS OR REMOVE THE WHOLE CHAT SYSTEM ALL TOGETHER. Please.