PDA

View Full Version : This is not wow,guildwars <insert MMORPG>

Ichidakiller
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Ok let's get one thing clear this isn't wow,guild wars or any other MMORPG.
There are not class roles in the typical sense.
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

Reading these forum posts that talk about class roles and comparing the play of this game to any of these games is ridiculous.
Its a different beast all together.
If you come in with the mindset of healer, tank and dps.
Your going to gave a bad time.
Stand and fire when you should roll and regroup.
Your gonna have a bad time.
Yell at people to "play their roles".

Kroesis
03-30-2013, 04:16 PM
'Kay
/10chars/

Yonpachi
03-30-2013, 04:18 PM
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

Reading these forum posts that talk about class roles and comparing the play of this game to any of these games is ridiculous.

http://i.imgur.com/FBeum.gif rogr

Exes
03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Honestly I've never read class and role discussion other than for the look presets on char creation.

Defy
03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
what are we saying here exactly :)

Mack
03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Why do so many people make random post, obviously people know this is wow, or guild wars this isn't even a MMORPG, its more of a MMOTPS. There is no reason to make a post about it, its just spam.

Arsenic_Touch
03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
You can flail your arms all you want, the holy trinity still exists in this game. You just have more wiggle room. As co'op missions become harder and harder as you progress further into the game, you will begin to see optimum strategies revolving around specific builds.

Kroesis
03-30-2013, 04:24 PM
what are we saying here exactly :)

That this game isn't other games... like Coca-cola isn't Irn Bru... I think...

Raserei
03-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Borderlands isn't an MMO or a MMORPG or whatever but it's a FPS. Yet, it has cool stats on items. All I ask is that this game gets really cool stats on items like borderlands. (But from what I hear, higher level guns get cooler stats on them)

Either way, DEFIANCE IS GONNA BE AWESOME!

SpyderArachnid
03-30-2013, 04:28 PM
I like to think of it as a more "Mass Effect" MMO than a traditional fantasy MMORPG.

Kroesis
03-30-2013, 04:32 PM
DEFIANCE IS GONNA BE AWESOME!

http://funniestlol.com/container/uploads/2012/05/364-enthusiasm-funny-demotivational.jpg

;)

velvet
03-30-2013, 04:42 PM
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

JiIf you come in with the mindset of healer, tank and dps.
I can't believe how wrong this post is........as your ego levels the skills you set give you a base "tank" "dps" or even "healer" role. Look at the ego chart if you think I'm wrong

Raserei
03-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna be a infector healer elf with a laser sword with rainbows shooting out of my ears

boosted gear
03-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I can't believe how wrong this post is........as your ego levels the skills you set give you a base "tank" "dps" or even "healer" role. Look at the ego chart if you think I'm wrong

but the interesting part is as more perks are obtainable and stackable the less you are shoe horned into a role if at all. Im planning on borrowing alot of perks from around the board to get a nice mix going on. The great thing about the game is you can play it how you want if you want to stereo your type you can if you want to mix and match feel free but dont moan at someone because they dont fit a role. Were all alone out there at night we all need to survive some how pick your perks wiseley.... i hope theres a hotchocolate one :-P

mcwjimbo
03-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm gonna be a infector healer elf with a laser sword with rainbows shooting out of my ears

HA

most likely the majority of people will be glass cannon types

dps/dps

Smokey the Bear
03-30-2013, 04:49 PM
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

Ahh right, so you're saying its like guild wars 2! With shields. :) (and guns)

KaosPenguin
03-30-2013, 04:52 PM

Ye well I'm gonna be a pony that eats rainbows and poops butterflies.

velvet
03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
but the interesting part is as more perks are obtainable and stackable the less you are shoe horned into a role if at all. Im planning on borrowing alot of perks from around the board to get a nice mix going on. The great thing about the game is you can play it how you want if you want to stereo your type you can if you want to mix and match feel free but dont moan at someone because they dont fit a role. Were all alone out there at night we all need to survive some how pick your perks wiseley.... i hope theres a hotchocolate one :-P

Dps tank with a healer kick?

Ichidakiller
03-30-2013, 04:54 PM

Just because perks give you a better ability to heal, better agility to take damage. I have failed to see any agro grabbing abilities(besides decoy).

This game is about pure hybrids most people are going to have a mix of skills and abilities around the 2k-3k ego range. Just because there are abilities does not designate one person as a healer or a tank.
In the end everyone is going to be dps with more then likely damage reduction and improved healing.
So in a game were everyone is some hybrid tell me where the destinction between classes begin.
There isn't not a i picked soldier so i either tank or dps. I picked this so i have to heal. That doesn't exsist in this game everyone is going to be a mix of everything.

The class distinctions dont exsist in this game. Plan and simple if someone favors not taking as much damage as the next guy that doesn't mean they are labeled a tank.
Tank someone who can hold agro, absorb damage and control the flow of battle.
Healer is someone who makes sure everyone has health and doesn't die. Resurrects when nesc.

Some perks may make someone better one or two of these. But in the end that class labeling doesn't work in this game.

mcwjimbo
03-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Dps tank with a healer kick?

thats what i'm aiming for with a ton of diff builds to fit any situation

and with respecing being cheap and easy ^ might get thrown out the window after week 1

iChinglish
03-30-2013, 04:58 PM
If I hear people looking for a tank, healer or dps for a group...

I won't join that group.

Arsenic_Touch
03-30-2013, 05:01 PM

When your momma said you could be anything when you grew up, that was not what she had in mind.

velvet
03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
If I hear people looking for a tank, healer or dps for a group...

I won't join that group.

Every one is a dps though........the rest is hybrid skills.but in most context the classes are still there. (Btw interested in defiance rp)

Kane
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
gw2 has sort of the same ideea, there is not healer, tank and dps, but u can't tell me that a BMG weilding character is not a healer, that a person that specs for damage mitigation and damage resistance is not a tank and that a massive crit spec is not a dps. The difference is that it does not make really matter your build, u are still going to do damage, take "aggro" and heal if u have the appropriate item for that.
Now don't get me wrong i like the idea that it;s a skill based game, but being a purist and instead of explaining to someone that had the misfortune to not be born all knowing as others is just mean.

FantasyMeister
03-30-2013, 05:12 PM
First thing I'm going to do when I log in on Tuesday is roll a druid elementalist and camp the white kitten in San Quentin.

Derity
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4563/stutter.png

mcwjimbo
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
LOL ^ full of WIN

DustOfDeath
03-30-2013, 05:16 PM
well you can have roles actually - ifyou combine right perks with right shield(high capacity? with resists etc on it for tank etc) and diff weapons (infector, biogoo, healgun, grenades etc).
Its just not that dominant.

Deadpool
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Just because perks give you a better ability to heal, better agility to take damage. I have failed to see any agro grabbing abilities(besides decoy).

This game is about pure hybrids most people are going to have a mix of skills and abilities around the 2k-3k ego range. Just because there are abilities does not designate one person as a healer or a tank.
In the end everyone is going to be dps with more then likely damage reduction and improved healing.
So in a game were everyone is some hybrid tell me where the destinction between classes begin.
There isn't not a i picked soldier so i either tank or dps. I picked this so i have to heal. That doesn't exsist in this game everyone is going to be a mix of everything.

The class distinctions dont exsist in this game. Plan and simple if someone favors not taking as much damage as the next guy that doesn't mean they are labeled a tank.
Tank someone who can hold agro, absorb damage and control the flow of battle.
Healer is someone who makes sure everyone has health and doesn't die. Resurrects when nesc.

Some perks may make someone better one or two of these. But in the end that class labeling doesn't work in this game.

Ding, Ding we have a winner. First the Glass Cannons will be out there, they will try full shields first and it will be OP, then glass cannon DPS. But in the end the Hybrid will be the most versatile, the fact you have two weapons means you can ALWAYS be a healer (that does damage BTW). Tanks wont really work on PvP, so possible cloak tanks with shotguns will be used or Tac sniper.

But always and I mean always you must be a KILLER first and back up last. Uber Charges will be king as we get better shields. But there we always be variants of DPS with each perk added, when we get to 8-9 lvl 3 Perks, we will know what the best or most useful ones will be. Auto ammo refill + Reload for Uber boost + Etc.. you get there will be some good combos out there.

JerZey CJ
03-30-2013, 05:22 PM
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

Actually, those three roles can be played.
Healer: Uses a BMG and takes all the revive specific skills/perks
DPS: Takes Overcharge and damage dealing and explosion perks/skills
Tanks: Takes Blur, and health/DR perks/skills
and a bonus one:
Rogue: Takes Cloak, critical hit, and position(above enemy, below, standing, crouching, etc) perks/skills.

LadyChaos
03-30-2013, 05:33 PM
No lie you could cut and paste this thread into a GW2 pre-launch forum.

Points are valid but peeps will play how they like, and they will evolve far beyond "original design".

I really havn't seen much trinity statements other than referencing the skill sets as after a couple decade the terms are pretty universal. healers make people not fall over, tanks are fatty's and deeps take all the credit... /wink
If peeps want to theory craft how they might possibly potentially play next week... eh it's all just idea and theory and harms nothing.

I will say much like GW2 self survivability plays a lot more role than in MMO classics. But not sposed to compare to GW2 huh :-P

velvet
03-30-2013, 05:37 PM
No lie you could cut and paste this thread into a GW2 pre-launch forum.

Points are valid but peeps will play how they like, and they will evolve far beyond "original design".

I really havn't seen much trinity statements other than referencing the skill sets as after a couple decade the terms are pretty universal. healers make people not fall over, tanks are fatty's and deeps take all the credit... /wink
If peeps want to theory craft how they might possibly potentially play next week... eh it's all just idea and theory and harms nothing.

I will say much like GW2 self survivability plays a lot more role than in MMO classics. But not sposed to compare to GW2 huh :-P

deeps get all the girls...... :(

Daholic
03-30-2013, 05:39 PM
and a bonus one:
Rogue: Takes Cloak, critical hit, and position(above enemy, below, standing, crouching, etc) perks/skills.

do you know what a tank does??

Do you know what a Healer does??

How bout DPS???

I wont even mention Rogue, because thats a dps...

Let me explain..a healer heals..cleanse, buffs, debuffs, rez..dps cant do that...tank cant do that.

Tank can hold aggro, control boss movement, direct boss to certains position in case of frontal aoe's can absorbe a massive amount of damage without ever running to a safe spot..a healers job is to make sure the tank stay upright..when tank goes down, and theres no backup tank, then party wipe..no if ands or buts about it.

And a DPS...welll thats basically what you are in this game..let be real please, if you guys wana cry about this not being like WOW,, then stop suggesting class specific roles please..

mcwjimbo
03-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Tank can hold aggro, control boss movement, direct boss to certains position in case of frontal aoe's can absorbe a massive amount of damage without ever running to a safe spot..a healers job is to make sure the tank stay upright..when tank goes down, and theres no backup tank, then party wipe..no if ands or buts about it.

did 1 group instance in a game where we all ended up dead against the boss but the tank survived and kept plowing away at the boss. LONGEST!!!!! wait/ watch tanks healthbar ever and was tons of fun because of the suspense. Tanks being tanks = was taking a beating but not a lot of damage put out. The tank finally beat the boss and we all danced

Bhawce
03-30-2013, 06:04 PM

while riding a worgen

LadyChaos
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
deeps get all the girls...... :(

I'm a fan of the fatties personally... love me some meat shield lol
Then again I'm usually deeps myself, do get hit on a lot by the cross dresser toons haha

velvet
03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm a fan of the fatties personally... love me some meat shield lol
Then again I'm usually deeps myself, do get hit on a lot by the cross dresser toons haha

XD I love being a tank. Class or no class I'll build to the best tank specs I can for this game

Kane
03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
bunker builds are ok, but calling it a tank is a bit weird seeing as u have no way of taking aggro or keeping it, most likely it will end up like gw2, where each boss and mob has a different aggro table and priority. My point is that even if u go for a bunker build, that wont mean u take aggro it just means u can survive more but have a lower damage output, nothing more than that.

velvet
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
bunker builds are ok, but calling it a tank is a bit weird seeing as u have no way of taking aggro or keeping it, most likely it will end up like gw2, where each boss and mob has a different aggro table and priority. My point is that even if u go for a bunker build, that wont mean u take aggro it just means u can survive more but have a lower damage output, nothing more than that.

Fine I'm a bunker

Kleptobrainiac
03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Analysis:

I think the OP is intimidated by the mmorpg crowd.

Daholic
03-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Fine I'm a bunker

ahhh, so your saying in a game that unlike the average mmorpg with specific classes, and how for the last mnth 85% of the posters have been practically gawking over the fact that theres no specific role and you can ba whatever you want, your happy to take on the Tank role ala WoW??

Sooooo....you want to be a tank like in wow right???

Descepticon
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
and a bonus one:

I would like to call that a WIN!

velvet
03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
ahhh, so your saying in a game that unlike the average mmorpg with specific classes, and how for the last mnth 85% of the posters have been practically gawking over the fact that theres no specific role and you can ba whatever you want, your happy to take on the Tank role ala WoW??

Sooooo....you want to be a tank like in wow right???
No I don't play wow. And I'm gettin a lil sick of trollin people on this forum

CainWolf
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
You're* >.>

Blastiel
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
You guys played the beta right? You know its a Third Person Shooter with RPG elements?

You don't need to worry about all that WOW crap with Tanks, Debuffers and Drag Queens. You just shoot stuff till it dies, your getting shot at go behind cover. It's a pew pew game not a oooooh look at the dps, if stuff doesn't die quick enough get another gun.

Daholic
03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
You guys played the beta right? You know its a Third Person Shooter with RPG elements?

You don't need to worry about all that WOW crap with Tanks, Debuffers and Drag Queens. You just shoot stuff till it dies, your getting shot at go behind cover. It's a pew pew game not a oooooh look at the dps, if stuff doesn't die quick enough get another gun.

^this

P1: OK guys this aint Wow, this is Defiance...lets run..what do we need
P2: Lets get a Tank, a Healer, and 2 DPS
P1: uhmm, this aint Wow, this is Defiance!
P2: ok, ill have a healer gun, and ill set up my perk for such, and that kinda makes me healer'ish..my friend has hp, and defence perks, so that makes him tankish, and uhhh the other 2 have guns so they're dps..
P1: Uhmm, dont you have a gun too??
P2: Yea, but i got a healer gun, and the healer'ish perks, so im healer
P1: oh, ok, sweet, this is nothing like Wow hahaha

CarbonDibaxide
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
If it were guild wars, I would have meteor showered you to death by now. Stop with these 'This is not...' threads. We're on Defiance.com! We know what the hell the game is and what it's called. Surprisingly I've never had this trouble in the past *removes plastic wrapper on brand new copy of God of War: Ascension...Opens case...Becomes enraged and disappointed because the case does not contain Tomb Raider*

DarkKnyt29
03-30-2013, 08:13 PM
^this

P1: OK guys this aint Wow, this is Defiance...lets run..what do we need
P2: Lets get a Tank, a Healer, and 2 DPS
P1: uhmm, this aint Wow, this is Defiance!
P2: ok, ill have a healer gun, and ill set up my perk for such, and that kinda makes me healer'ish..my friend has hp, and defence perks, so that makes him tankish, and uhhh the other 2 have guns so they're dps..
P1: Uhmm, dont you have a gun too??
P2: Yea, but i got a healer gun, and the healer'ish perks, so im healer
P1: oh, ok, sweet, this is nothing like Wow hahaha

Haha hilarious. This is Defiance. And to borrow an Army quote, you need to know three things in this game: Move, Shoot, Communicate!

zartanyen
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

Ok I would be more then happy to take my tank build ( damage taker) or my DPS build ( high damage output) against you 1V1 I will not be bunny hopping all over the place or taking the OP game breaking SMG against you nope my tank will just sit their and out war of attrition you you will say things like this is BS I put a full clip into him and it did not even get through his shields,then when I finally did get through his shields it was like he did not take any damage at all that guys hacking or lagging, and when my DPS one shots you I am sure I will hear what garbage I had that gun no way he can do that much damage with it again I am a hacking cheat or a lagger, NO it's I number crunch the perks and ego ability to give me the max effect I am looking for rather then putting a bunch of different perk together because I thing they are cool.

You are partially right as in their is no designated class but you end up making one if your smart and know what your doing and what you want your character to do.

DuoMaxwell007
03-30-2013, 09:12 PM
No tank
No healer
The shields regenerates

umm yo know a game doesnt have to be an mmmo RPG to have those features right? DCUO is an MMO "button masher" not an mmorpg yet it has tanks, healers, dds and plays in a way were you NEED ppl to do their jobs/roles right so its not insane to want the same in defiance

LordsOfSkulls
03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
sorry to burst ur bubble.........

This game those have healers/tanks/dps.... >.>

If you want u can make a perfect healer... player that focuses on healing/reviving other players (Which u can be taking over 75% less damage while reviving a player/ healing better etc etc + healer gun)

You can have a tank with cloak to instant regan shields + damage reduction passives. (By standing still + damage reduction u can get up to 15% + 750 HP etc)

And DPS can go overload route... >.>

So yes if u really want to come down to the core and basics.... expect in the end this is still FPS game so you dont need it if ur smart in useing cover system.