PDA

View Full Version : Why is the in game chat censored, but the storyline characters can curse?

DeadMike
08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
There are numerous instances where characters in the game's missions, who's dialog was created by the game devs, have used profane words... s***, a**, f***... you know the deal.

Why would the game developers purposely write these words into the game, have their voice actors use these words, and then turn around and censor them in the chat system? If they made the chat censor these words in an effort not to offend players, then why did they put the words into the game?

Why is it that I cannot say "damn" in chat, but a character in the game can say f*** ? It doesn't make any sense.

Valaska
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I said the B word, Butts, and it was censored... I was pretty shocked, me and my friend laughed for darn near 20 minutes at that.

L Y
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Cutscene is art. Player chat is offensive. There is no need to use them in chat.

Satsuki
08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
If you're on the Xbox version, Microsoft has a list of words that are automatically censored for player input on all its games. In Minecraft you can see it really clearly because if you put up too many signs, the game will lag whenever you get near them the first time for that particular play session because it forces the censor engine to clear them all. The Developer has no say in that.

If it still does that on the PC version, I have no clue. Or PS3 for that matter.

Valaska
08-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Cutscene is art. Player chat is offensive. There is no need to use them in chat.

What if I am RolePlaying, I assure you good madame/sir, I can write better material than the cut-scenes.

But seriously, butts should not be censored, that's just total butts.

L Y
08-11-2013, 10:13 PM
But seriously, butts should not be censored, that's just total butts.
I agree. /

Arsenic_Touch
08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
There's an option on the alpha client to remove the censor. I still can't make a character name with Arsenic in it though x.x

Orbital
08-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Ya this makes no sense

3rdpig
08-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Bullying, personal attacks and the litigious nature of our society.

The cut scenes don't do this, but some players do.

Wtflag
08-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Why would the game developers purposely write these words into the game, have their voice actors use these words, and then turn around and censor them in the chat system? If they made the chat censor these words in an effort not to offend players, then why did they put the words into the game?

This is easy.

Insults only work in context.

The characters in cut screens never swear or insult YOU at any point of time no matter how many curse words they mutter.

The same cannot be ensured of human players that you interact with.

Orbital
08-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Bullying, personal attacks and the litigious nature of our society.

The cut scenes don't do this, but some players do.

Most online games have an ignore feature, if someone is bothering you that much you should use that. You can't even type out some of the synergies because it mistakes them for profanity, it is ******.

Olaf
08-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Well, theres alot of words that shouldnt be censored but they are.

Salvaging/Damn are just a couple of them

Covington
08-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Some of the words chosen do feel like censorship and not anti bullying. It isn't just the 7 bad words. We should have a toggle and leave it up to us. Besides no one actually "chats" much in the game (at least not on the consoles). Yet we can cuss up a storm on the microphone.

Beyond odd if you ask me.

August Barkley
08-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Because the players insult other players. But the NPS does not offend you personally.

Billy Guile
08-12-2013, 06:00 AM
i want to be offended by Cass. is this wrong?

Gomly
08-12-2013, 06:04 AM

To be fair, out of all the characters in the game that have any lines at all .... she's the only one I like.

Also, on the subject of censored chat....

You can all **** with my ****** while I ******* with your sister and ****** with her ***** **** ******* and ***** **** ******* pineapple juice.

torch327
08-12-2013, 06:14 AM
The clan I used to be a leader I was trying to put up a clan message of the day.the clan had grown enough that we couldn't see everyone in the clan anylonger from the clan list.so I created a free website fro the clan and was trying to post a short simple message for everyone to sign up.it was something along"reg@www.xxxx.com to be eligible for clan prizes n promotions".I kept getting a message that it contained inappropriate words.the word that was inappropriate of all things was "promotions"

Billy Guile
08-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Cass is the only one worth listening to. she keeps it real

treadingwater
08-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Cass is the only one worth listening to. she keeps it real

+1

I hope she gets continued storyline in future DLCs or even a move to the TV show at some point.

Billy Guile
08-12-2013, 06:26 AM
+1

I hope she gets continued storyline in future DLCs or even a move to the TV show at some point.

hell yeah! bring my girl on tv! woo woo!

August Barkley
08-12-2013, 06:59 AM

If it's with whips and handcuffs, I have no objection. :D Although, I prefer Michelle... Oh. i mean Rosa Rodriguez.

N3gativeCr33p
08-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Although, I prefer Michelle... Oh. i mean Rosa Rodriguez.

Likewise.... nice to see it's not just me. :)

PurePlayinSerb
08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
There are numerous instances where characters in the game's missions, who's dialog was created by the game devs, have used profane words... s***, a**, f***... you know the deal.

Why is it that I cannot say "damn" in chat, but a character in the game can say f*** ? It doesn't make any sense.

i've never understood why Mature rated games do silly things like this, also another gaming pet peeve of mine is when a rated M game censors songs in the game... also i wish they would uncensor instances like that in sports games if your xbox live/psn account user is over the age of 18

N3gativeCr33p
08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
i've never understood why Mature rated games do silly things like this, also another gaming pet peeve of mine is when a rated M game censors songs in the game... also i wish they would uncensor instances like that in sports games if your xbox live/psn account user is over the age of 18

My guess? Just because a game is rated M doesn't necessarily mean only those over the age of 18 will be the only ones playing the game.

Kind of like one of those "cover your own azzes" sort of scenarios?

Firetalion
08-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I tried to say "crap on a crap cracker!" when some wild glitch occurred in game that we all could see, but nope, that sentence is banned.

It all amounts to the nature of humanity. Fifty years ago it wasn't illegal to drive a go-kart while drunk down the sidewalk, till someone abused it and caused a real problem. Since then, we had to tighten up the rules so much that now even driving your own lawn mower drunk while on your own property, you can get an DWI and lose your ability to drive a car on a road for years.

Once it gets abused, we all suffer, and the world is so afraid of letting someone get really upset and claiming a civil liberty was attacked and then suing, we stop everything that might be even close to those 'dangerous insults' before it even happens, to 'cover our own butts' like stated above..

[my favorite is how we can't even mention some peoples names, like an awesome author such as Phillip K. ****, the writer of Bladerunner and many other amazing greats (Total Recall, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly, etc...)]

Atticus Batman
08-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Normally when chat is implemented into a game, The system it is on requires they put a filter in the game chat, atleast on cosoles. Why is PC as well filtered?

brantkin
08-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Well to me a company shouldn't have to do stuff like this. If the parent bought the game for the kid and it wasn't something they wanted there kids to experience. Who's fault is it the company's? no its the parents fault. And they should take responsibility. And they should do research about the game. I swear this day and age, no one takes responsibility. And or takes the time to look stuff up. I swear the community would be a lot better. If the sensitivity people, would just do there homework.

Also hard ship is a part of life people will cuss and insult people. It's just our messed up human ways. We live to inflict pain upon something or someone. To make us feel better about ourselves. The problem now with the way things work. Is the government is trying to make it all candy coated. And try to keep people from being hurt. Which result in stuff seeming way bigger then they should. Bullying back in the day just meant. You needed to get stronger to end up standing up for yourself. It's just the way life works.

We are looking at a very boring future. Were everyone will be wearing helmets and complete armor. If stuff keeps going the way they are. Oh yeah the armor and helmet. Will be taxed from your pay check every month :3. We live off of other peoples misery. And we find amusement in it. But now there's just too many people. In denial about our dna or instincts. To were we are having conflicts within our selves. And now we have wars. To allow us to let out our instincts. It's very sad but true, and there's more then enough evidence to back it up.

We humans are truly nothing more then barbaric creatures. That are worst then any animal :3. because we have developed what we call. the thing that sets us apart from animals. Our consciousness because with this. We have just made it easier to kill.

Anyways enough ranting about how us humans work. And what i think of human beings. I think i have stated some facts. And gave more then enough reason. As to why we should just not, candy coat the world. It's just better overall.

Also one last thing, if we keep making the world safer and more boring. We will need to get more planets. Or we will need to find a way to control the population. Otherwise that will end up dooming us. Funny how that works isn't it :P. We all want to be safe. But by doing so. We end up shortening our overall life existence.

xxdarkxwarxx
08-12-2013, 08:54 AM

they should have put an opinion in to censor chat box

Maitreakow
08-12-2013, 09:04 AM
To be fair, out of all the characters in the game that have any lines at all .... she's the only one I like.

You can all **** with my ****** while I ******* with your sister and ****** with her ***** **** ******* and ***** **** ******* pineapple juice.

Alright, the pineapple juice has peaked my interest...

Billy Guile
08-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Edgar Allen Poe and Vincent Van Gogh were more cheerful than me

so what you're saying is.... pineapple juice.

anyway, i think the system does keep people from turning into the COD crowd. that, i will not complain about. for story play, i like that the characters have... character. if you're that incensed that your extensive vocabulary of four letter words has been nullified, i hope you do not have the opportunity to reproduce.

rev
08-12-2013, 10:22 AM

You can all play with my ladder while I laughed with your sister and played with her small tiny trainset and we're gonna drink pineapple juice.

Post Uncensored. :)

DarknessEyes PT
08-12-2013, 10:35 AM
In DLC1 you can now disable chat filter :)

Covington
08-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Likewise.... nice to see it's not just me. :)

Nope there are others :) Cass is too irritating to me to be attractive. Rosa aside from the jackleg battle isn't half bad.

Maitreakow
08-12-2013, 11:33 AM
In DLC1 you can now disable chat filter :)

F yeah!! 'bout time..

Valaska
08-12-2013, 11:49 AM

I'm totally fine with that! She's the only character that has an extensive amount of lines is actually a GOOD character!

Plus word is she likes to be touched.

Ssdmiddleman
08-12-2013, 12:28 PM
There are a lot worse things you can say without using those words.. the system is flawed! :P

Atticus Batman
08-12-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm totally fine with that! She's the only character that has an extensive amount of lines is actually a GOOD character!

Plus word is she likes to be touched.

and swim naked. She says so in an opening cinematic for one of the co-ops.

Gomly
08-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Post Uncensored. :)

That made me chuckle.

Conceit
08-12-2013, 03:53 PM
The problem here, imho, is that different people are offended by different things. I believe freedom of speech exist to protect offinsive speech because speach that no one has a porblem with does not need to be defended. Therefore, I have no problem with the f-bomb, but it does bother me that you can cross the line into hate speach if you are just a little careful without tripping the censor at all.