PDA

View Full Version : steam user base

exxcess
08-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Steam for PC stats shown defiance from 12k+ player on release down to <700 today :D

While maybe not a great indication of OVERALL player base, glad to see a proper response from the public to the antics and failures of this game.

Gomly
08-12-2013, 02:36 AM
I've said it before quite a few times ....

The shooter market on the PC is over saturated, we have a lot .. LOT .. of shooters, some of them are F2P too.

While I do enjoy Defiance, it's an average game in a sea of similar and far better games.

It's up to companies like Trion to hold on to their player base in a competitive market. They will have the same problem with End of Nations trying to compete in an already well populated MOBA market. Trying to share space with DOTA 2 and LoL .... that was a great idea.

But I digress....

As a member of the Master Race and a member of various PC related communities I know just how fickle we are.

Because the shooter genre is so large you won't hold your player base with mediocrity.

I'll probably hang around here until the doors close and they burn the place for insurance but the chatter i've been having with some people isn't great. Quite a lot of folk that abondoned Defiance aren't waiting for the DLC to come back .... they aint coming back.

What's happening now with regards to trying to communicate more and change things is a case of too little too late for some people. It should have been like that from the start and i've heard it from various places that one thing stopped it ..... arrogance.

Blondin
08-12-2013, 02:51 AM
Funny, Raptr says another thing : http://defiance.game-guide.fr/files/2013/08/raptr_top10.png

Defiance is gaining players...

Anyway, we can see that Defiance forum never lose members, they always come back, even those who find this game a failure, they are so bored that they come back and post here...

Orbital
08-12-2013, 03:52 AM
I would check the numbers after DLC hits, I think quite a few of the older players are taking a break till there is something new to do.

Myria
08-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Funny, Raptr says another thing : http://defiance.game-guide.fr/files/2013/08/raptr_top10.png

Two problems. The first is that without absolute numbers a relative number isn't of much use. If you have 4 subscribers then doubling your subscriber base is, well, unimpressive. If you have 4 million subscribers, well it's a different story. And second, Raptr offered a set of 'deals' in July, starting with 30% off Defiance through the Trion store, which would pretty heavily skew their numbers.

That... And, honestly, does anyone actually use things like Raptr? Maybe it's just me, but other than for the deals -- at one point they were giving away Rift through it, pre-F2P -- I can't imagine why one would.

Anyway, we can see that Defiance forum never lose members, [...]

I wish that it were so, the forums used to be a much more amusing place to visit before some of the more passionate personalities finally called it quits.

Not necessarily kinder, gentler, or friendlier, mind... But definitely more amusing.

Gomly
08-12-2013, 05:11 AM

That's most "played" not most "players"...

Raptr just goes off hours played not the amount of people playing.

Raptr is not what you use as a source and say it's gaining players ...... especially when it's only just ahead of Maple Story on that list.

drackiller
08-12-2013, 05:28 AM
That's most "played" not most "players"...

Raptr just goes off hours played not the amount of people playing.

Raptr is not what you use as a source and say it's gaining players ...... especially when it's only just ahead of Maple Story on that list.
Gomly, please bare in mind that Raptr doesn`t track PS3 play time, so it can`t be that bad.

Gomly
08-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Gomly, please bare in mind that Raptr doesn`t track PS3 play time, so it can`t be that bad.

So we can say, with some degree of confidence, that Defiance has far more players than Maple Story .... which is a relief, if that game was beating us i'd be very bloody worried.

drackiller
08-12-2013, 06:37 AM
So we can say, with some degree of confidence, that Defiance has far more players than Maple Story .... which is a relief, if that game was beating us i'd be very bloody worried.
Lol i`m sure it must be a relief :)

Blondin
08-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Two problems. The first is that without absolute numbers a relative number isn't of much use. If you have 4 subscribers then doubling your subscriber base is, well, unimpressive. If you have 4 million subscribers, well it's a different story. And second, Raptr offered a set of 'deals' in July, starting with 30% off Defiance through the Trion store, which would pretty heavily skew their numbers.
I think that nobody except Trion has the real numbers everything else is assumption, how many bought the game and how many are still playing, only them know, and I don't think they will give those numbers...

Could be cool though to have some numbers, like how many connection per day, average connection time, and stuff like that.

I wish that it were so, the forums used to be a much more amusing place to visit before some of the more passionate personalities finally called it quits.

Not necessarily kinder, gentler, or friendlier, mind... But definitely more amusing.
I guess you're right, but I think that a certain type of ppl still come back, and those ppl are not the one that love or loved the game, so they don't play anymore, why bother coming here?

Bigtk
08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
I bought the game through steam but no longer use steam to launch the game. Could be other people do the same thing.

Atticus Batman
08-12-2013, 08:17 AM

That... And, honestly, does anyone actually use things like Raptr? Maybe it's just me, but other than for the deals -- at one point they were giving away Rift through it, pre-F2P -- I can't imagine why one would.

Oh they do come back but most of them plaque the off-topic section now.