PDA

View Full Version : Can we really say post-apocalyptic?

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
I understand where people believe can think this is a post-apocalyptic game but i have to disagree. Yes there was a massive event that changed the earth but it didn't destroy the earth in fact it changed it and created new life and materials like gulanite for example. Yea roads are torn up and buildings are crumbling but the same thing can happen with a tornado or earthquake and we don't call it a post-apocalyptic event. I can see where the idea comes from since everyones lives went from working at burger king or some office to taking up arms and hunting things down but i can't justify it as post apocalyptic just because there is some barren areas or destroyed cities. Look at Borderlands 1+2 theres whole areas that are barren and full of things like rocks and skags but it isn't post apocolyptic its just an area thats like that. Terrraforming changed the earth into something new it didn't destroy it into something almost lifeless.

Post below with what you think post-apocolyptic or A new earth.

Sakara
03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
That may very well depend on the lore given in the show; after all, not only did you have the Arks start an erratic terraforming, but there was apparently also decades worth of war. I tend to lean towards post-apocalyptic, because humanity (and the alien races, of course) are starting to rebuild now. A new Earth to me would be something along the lines of Earth 2, where they were starting on a fresh planet. This isn't really a fresh planet, except perhaps to the Aliens; it's just seriously messed up.

Landshark
03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Borderlands is a bad example, because the game isn't on Earth, it's on an alien planet.

When I think post-apocalyptic I think of the game Fallout, which is a post nuclear war. I think Defiance fits the term 'post apocalyptic' very nicely, seeing as how it's 'post alien invasion/war/terraform'. It's /post/ some event that was traumatic enough to change the entire planet and everyone on it.

Moose Of Woe
03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Post-apocalyptic.

Yes. Yes we can.

nathanpbutler
03-30-2013, 09:52 PM
If one cannot say, "This is it - the apocalypse," then don't tell Imagine Dragons.*

(*A joke that won't make any sense unless someone researches that recent TV spot . . . )

Moose Of Woe
03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
If one cannot say, "This is it - the apocalypse," then don't tell Imagine Dragons.*

(*A joke that won't make any sense unless someone researches that recent TV spot . . . )

I'd offer you a handshake, alas I have cloven hooves.

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Borderlands is a bad example, because the game isn't on Earth, it's on an alien planet.

When I think post-apocalyptic I think of the game Fallout, which is a post nuclear war. I think Defiance fits the term 'post apocalyptic' very nicely, seeing as how it's 'post alien invasion/war/terraform'. It's /post/ some event that was traumatic enough to change the entire planet and everyone on it.

True borderlands is a bad example now that you say that. But my issue with post apocalyptic is that when you say it the first thought is destroyed earth no water supply or tainted water supply barely plant life or no plants life an apocalypse is something that will destroy everything if possible. the arkfall and pale wars i think would be considered an earth changing event. It happened and peoples live changed dramatically but from what i've gathered the aliens were on earth before there arks started to fall trying to co exist-then pale wars- then arkfalls- now we have a terraformed earth, (correct me if I'm wrong on the order please). Now for it to be a post apocalyptic setting in my mind the aliens would've had to come in guns blazing overtake the earth (but destroying most of it in the process) and take over the human race. Fallout for example they manage to get the water supply clean for everyone but the earth (if you were to follow the events of a nuclear war) wouldn't be inhabitable for many many years hence the vaults and why they wouldn't open till a set amount of years. The earth in Defiance is inhabitable during the aliens coming to earth, the pale wars, and the ark fall events.

Arsenic_Touch
03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
http://defianceworld.tumblr.com/post/46452997936/adjusting-to-life-on-new-earth

No event in human history has come close to matching the utter devastation that’s been left in its wake. Billions of souls lost, entire cities erased

Clearly a post apocalyptic world.

Nexos_Arc
03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Terraforming might was a good thing ... for Pandora.

Sakara
03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
But my issue with post apocalyptic is that when you say it the first thought is destroyed earth no water supply or tainted water supply barely plant life or no plants life an apocalypse is something that will destroy everything if possible.

I don't see post-apocalyptic so much as a destroyed Earth, but rather civilization has been destroyed. The History Channel (I think) had a series where some former Seal gave advice on how to survive after people were gone. Another channel (I forget which) had a show called The Colony, where people tried to survive following an event such as a virus wiping out most of humanity. I view those as every bit post-apocalyptic as The Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome settings.

ThanatosPa
03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
An apocolypse does not have to eradicate. It only has to severely damage the world and society there in.

I dont mean a bad economy or a brief war. But think more technology regressing, society going backwards that sort of thing. Also do not forget that the Earth was modified. New species and elements added to a closed system. All kinda says apocolypse to me

Kisala
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Ok, well I believe its post apocalyptic. There are large areas of land that are missing, We can no longer go into space easily or fly long distances at high altitudes due to new layer in atmosphere. We cannot even travel to the other half of what is left of north america due to the storm divide. Life as we know it no longer exists. We Have no solid government structure that I can see. You have outright bandits and raiders. murder when people please, everyone needs to carry a gun for protection, there are mutated humans form the pale wars, there are genetically engineered humans from the pale wars, new species everywhere that are vicious and attack on sight, getting from point a to point be now constitutes risking your life, and we don't even know everything that is out there either. The first 14 mins of the pilot showed us that. Those weird crab things we haven't seen in game and I'm willing to be that isn't all. We are most deff in a post apocalyptic setting in my opinion

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
An apocolypse does not have to eradicate. It only has to severely damage the world and society there in.

I dont mean a bad economy or a brief war. But think more technology regressing, society going backwards that sort of thing. Also do not forget that the Earth was modified. New species and elements added to a closed system. All kinda says apocolypse to me
I agree but technology didn't regress the arkfall allowed access to ark tech which progressed our technology

Classymadman
03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Post-apocalyptic.

Yes. Yes we can.

this is exactly what it seems to me, its after the end and a new beginning. I for one like it, its a great change of pace of the typical mad max style post apocalypse.

Im digging it

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
well any thing classified as a Mass Extinction level event like a Arkfall or alien race hell bent on teraforming our planet. anything after a event like that will still be classified post apocolypse

Moose Of Woe
03-30-2013, 10:21 PM
this is exactly what it seems to me, its after the end and a new beginning. I for one like it, its a great change of pace of the typical mad max style post apocalypse.

Im digging it

Now all we need is Tina Turner and THUNDADOME.

Two men enter.
One man leaves.

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 10:23 PM
ok mooose you just earned your self the troll award here it is
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/legast/64314_598818353480235_919711834_n.jpg

Landshark
I don't see post-apocalyptic so much as a destroyed Earth, but rather civilization has been destroyed. The History Channel (I think) had a series where some former Seal gave advice on how to survive after people were gone. Another channel (I forget which) had a show called The Colony, where people tried to survive following an event such as a virus wiping out most of humanity. I view those as every bit post-apocalyptic as The Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome settings.

Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on how much of a crappy, FAKE, show the "The Colony" was. That show pissed me off so much.

Anyway, I guess maybe it's more about the destruction of civilization and a lack of order in the world (i.e. no more government, no countries, etc). In a way I can see the OP's point, but if I had to weigh the choice on a scale, I'd say that Defiance tips more in the 'yes it is' side of being post-apocalypse.

ThanatosPa
I agree but technology didn't regress the arkfall allowed access to ark tech which progressed our technology

our tech diddnt progress we scavanged it and modified it. Defiance has no flight(yes some suborbital stuff but no real flight) do satilites still work? roads are gone. cities are gone, THE INTERNET AND ALL MMOS ARE GONE clearly postapoc here :)

This is kinda fun I might do this till tues

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
our tech diddnt progress we scavanged it and modified it. Defiance has no flight(yes some suborbital stuff but no real flight) do satilites still work? roads are gone. cities are gone, THE INTERNET AND ALL MMOS ARE GONE clearly postapoc here :)

This is kinda fun I might do this till tues thantos help me hand out troll awards

Chio Raver
03-30-2013, 10:36 PM

This is kinda fun I might do this till tues
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/ApplePie111/epic-fail-1.jpg

ThanatosPa
03-30-2013, 10:44 PM
thantos help me hand out troll awards

Does that mean I am getting one or am I just one of the presenters?

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Presenter of course i wouldn't dare troll award you.

Moose Of Woe
03-30-2013, 10:54 PM
It's 2AM*. You should know all the weirdos come out at night.

*Here, at least.

ThanatosPa
03-30-2013, 10:55 PM
I resemble that remark. btw its what 8am in UK?

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 10:57 PM
it's like 1 am here he need to realize the only weirdo is the one named moose of Woe

ThanatosPa
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
it's like 1 am here he need to realize the only weirdo is the one named moose of Woe

so u are Central time? ah but I just realized I was asking to see if we would game together...sadly never to be I am PC u are Xbox

Moose Of Woe
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
I didn't say I wasn't. I just said we mostly come out at night........mostly.

http://unrealizing.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/newt-carrie-henn-aliens.jpg

Arinzal
03-30-2013, 11:02 PM
:( I know Thantos we call still kick but on the forum together lol. Tuesday your not here yet.

ThanatosPa
03-30-2013, 11:04 PM
We shall make a forum guild... now what should we call ourselves(totally jacked this thread)

Moebius
03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
a·poc·a·lypse
/əˈpäkəˌlips/
Noun

1. The complete final destruction of the world, esp. as described in the biblical book of Revelation.
2. An event involving destruction or damage on an awesome or catastrophic scale.

Synonyms
revelation

I would think definition #2 pretty much describes the sabotage of all the arkships and all the terraforming did cause destruction or damage on an awesome or catastrophic scale. So therefore since this game takes place AFTER all of that, I would think it would qualify as post-apocalyptic.

Resolute
03-30-2013, 11:30 PM
It is a post-apocalypse world.

It is however not a post-Apocalypse world.

Subtle differences.

Ozzalin
03-30-2013, 11:34 PM
For me, Post apocalyptic term is ok, of course it is not as post apocalyptic as let's say Fallout 3, or even the kind of world we will live in very soon if they push the buttons... But still, the pale war, and the defiance battle transformed the world, and now it has many scars, although yes, terraformed landscapes are part of it, making it unique.