PDA

View Full Version : Why n stores April 2nd?

Kevin0101
03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Just out of curiosity why would Trion not allow buisnesses to put the game on shelves a couple days early so people could download the content? There is no offline content so it couldn't hurt due to the fact noone can play and seems people are getting it n the mail. I don't mind waiting have to work anyhow, but I was just curious of why this would be. Any thought?

Monkerlotus
03-31-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm not entirely sure how to answer this.. I'll Try my best!

We can pre-order it online and at many large chains like Gamestop.

After launch it goes on Shelves as a "pick up and buy" title instead of specially ordering it. Digital retailers offer it after launch as an instant download.

Many people who have their copy (mostly digital purchases) have the ability to pre-load the game.

Kyro
03-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Because April the 2nd is the official release date? Doesn't matter if some people have got it early due to retailers sending them out early, just to make sure everyone gets it on time. The release date is still April the 2nd. >.>

Valethar
03-31-2013, 12:28 AM
It's funny that they can ship it and have it arrive early, but that same retailer isn't allowed to let you pick up a pre-order in the store before the 2nd.

MacDeath
03-31-2013, 12:34 AM
I used to work in a PC store in Sweden. Under Swedish law, the store would be fined ~ 10k SEK (PER COPY!) if we sold something prior to it's street date. That's over $1,000 USD. If the Publisher want's it to be sold prior to April 2, they would have picked an earlier street date. Apparently some stores in the US are less concerned about playing by the rules.

Kevin0101
03-31-2013, 12:35 AM
I used to work in a PC store in Sweden. Under Swedish law, the store would be fined ~ 10k SEK (PER COPY!) if we sold something prior to it's street date. That's over $1,000 USD. If the Publisher want's it to be sold prior to April 2, they would have picked an earlier street date. Apparently some stores in the US are less concerned about playing by the rules.

Well damn that's a good reason not to sell. Thanks for the actual facts.

Mcdragon
03-31-2013, 12:36 AM
Just out of curiosity why would Trion not allow buisnesses to put the game on shelves a couple days early so people could download the content? There is no offline content so it couldn't hurt due to the fact noone can play and seems people are getting it n the mail. I don't mind waiting have to work anyhow, but I was just curious of why this would be. Any thought?

whats the point in pre ordering in the first place then. when you went in to pre order you already agreed to waiting till the 2nd. that is also why noone buys physical copies unless its the ue. otherwise you just digital download

Arinzal
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
O.o cough cough I preordered SD version do to a lack of funds. I didn't mind waiting till the 2nd for release. Hell when Blackops @ release i was outside of gamestop in the cold proudly wait to get my hands on it got a free poster and free food while I waited. Will gladly do it again for this game. I say we all go to Gamestop and Tailgate before the release.

Defy
03-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Tuesdasy releases are standard for big games

Valethar
03-31-2013, 12:48 AM
I say we all go to Gamestop and Tailgate before the release.

LOL I should totally do that. The local Gamestop is right behind my apartment. I should drag my grill around the corner, grab, er, borrow a lawn chair from a neighbor, and set up shop on the sidewalk.

Buy a couple cases of water, some brats and buns, and pay for my UE from the proceeds. :D

agchrist54
03-31-2013, 01:01 AM
whats the point in pre ordering in the first place then. when you went in to pre order you already agreed to waiting till the 2nd. that is also why noone buys physical copies unless its the ue. otherwise you just digital download

Really no point to pre-order but thats why they offer incentives like extra dlc or a poster. Doesnt really cost them anything for that, but the main purpose is to get your money. With all the pre-orders they are able to deposit the funds and gain interest in the bank, and also better predict how many they need and not over buy. It goes back to Say's Law: "a dollar today is worth more then a dollar tomorrow".

So really just benefits the retailer and you get some stuff for giving them your cash in advance.

Lickintoad
03-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Just out of curiosity why would Trion not allow buisnesses to put the game on shelves a couple days early so people could download the content?
Why April 2? because it's a Tuesday, which is the traditional media new release day. April 2, because that gives two weeks for players to play around with the game before the premiere of the show on the 15th.

Why not let retailers put the product on the shelf early? Because people expect (rightly so, I might add) to be able to use what they purchase immediately. There would be an uproar if people were to buy the game now, get home, install it or pop it in the console and then be told that they can't play until Tuesday at midnight.

Beck
03-31-2013, 03:21 AM
O.o cough cough I preordered SD version do to a lack of funds. I didn't mind waiting till the 2nd for release. Hell when Blackops @ release i was outside of gamestop in the cold proudly wait to get my hands on it got a free poster and free food while I waited. Will gladly do it again for this game. I say we all go to Gamestop and Tailgate before the release.

We could do a live remote on the radio of how the tail gate is going.

Vuule
03-31-2013, 03:30 AM
If the Publisher want's it to be sold prior to April 2, they would have picked an earlier street date.

But than OP would ask the same question.. Just a different date :p

tangotown
03-31-2013, 03:51 AM
Would u like to wait till fri for it instead..... I know I wouldnt

Schwa
03-31-2013, 03:53 AM
Release dates are on Tuesdays to allow retailers sufficient time to get stock shipped to them, reset shelving, and to synchronize the start of sale (so no retailer gets an advantage by being UPS' favorite). Occasionally you'll see a release date on Friday or Saturday, but those are massive releases, like Twilight or Lord of the Rings.

Defiance is a promoted release, but it just doesn't command the audience to require breaking the schedule.