PDA

View Full Version : *** Attention Windows 64-bit Users *** Update @ 8/16 - Windows fixes causes crash.

Morgana
08-13-2013, 07:32 PM
UPDATE 8/19 @ 4:00PM Pacific Afternoon, all. Tomorrow's update will contain a fix for the Windows crash affecting 64-bit users. The update starts at 9:50 AM Pacific, and is estimated to last about 4 hours. After that, you should no longer receive a crash after launching, even with the KB2859537 Windows Update installed.

UPDATE 8/16 @ 5:30PM Pacific - Hi all,

Our engineers are working on correcting the conflict Defiance has with the Windows patch that causes the game to crash, and that work will continue through the weekend.

I hope to come back with more solid details for early next week, but I am reluctant to hand down a defined date/time until the situation is more concrete. As soon as I get more information, I will return to update this thread again.

~ Morgana

Hi all,

For users of Windows 64-bit operating systems, the most recent Window's update contains a fix that has been significantly linked to causing a Defiance crash on startup. We are investigating why the update has a conflict, but until then, should you like to troubleshoot, you may wish to uninstall one of the fixes that has been linked to the crashes.

The specific update is KB2859537 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859537).

Should you need assistance uninstalling the fix, here are the provided instructions from the official Windows site (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-with-removing-updates):

Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.

Select the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

At this point in time, Windows 64-bit users are affected, and this fix has proved successful for most. If you experience otherwise, please let us know so we can explore other avenues of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the patience!

TigrisMorte
08-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Just FYI, the patch in question is to fix a vulnerability which requires log on to the system. So, removal of the update should pose little risk.

"This security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logs on to the system and runs a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities.

This security update is rated Important for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

The security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting the way that the Windows kernel handles objects in memory. For more information about the vulnerability, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information."

MacDeath
08-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi all,

For users of Windows 7 64-bit, today's Window's update contains a fix that will likely cause your copy of Defiance to crash. We are investigating why the update has a conflict, but until then, we are advising you uninstall the specific update that causes the crash.

Should you need assistance uninstalling the fix, here are the provided instructions from the official Windows site (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-with-removing-updates):

At this point in time, only Windows 7 64-bit users are affected, and this fix has proved successful for most. If you experience otherwise, please let us know so we can explore other avenues of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the patience!
Hey Deb, perhaps you should say that MIGHT cause a crash. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and can log into both Defiance Alpha and Defiance standard with no issues.

Awesome Jeff
08-14-2013, 06:34 AM
I highly advise against advising people to remove important security updates. If you feel so inclined to make such advise, please do a proper explanation of the potential risks involved in removing the update.

Instead of advising us to remove an important security update for our operating system you should advise us of the problem and let us now that you are using all available resources to track the problem down and provide a hotfix for Defiance ASAP.

I don't feel comfortable being advised to make my computer open to attacks!

EDIT

At this point in time, only Windows 7 64-bit users are affected, and this fix has proved successful for most.

Oh, and this is not a fix, it's an unsafe workaround.

Slyfox2001
08-14-2013, 06:51 AM
I highly advise against advising people to remove important security updates. If you feel so inclined to make such advise, please do a proper explanation of the potential risks involved in removing the update.

Instead of advising us to remove an important security update for our operating system you should advise us of the problem and let us now that you are using all available resources to track the problem down and provide a hotfix for Defiance ASAP.

EDIT

Oh, c'mon! Like the average person actually needs 75% of the crap Microsoft "updates" to the computer... :p

Arsenic_Touch
08-14-2013, 07:26 AM

EDIT

I was actually surprised that they were telling people to uninstall a windows update to fix something with their game.

Vancrow
08-14-2013, 07:39 AM
The windows update did indeed prevent the game from starting through the launcher. However, removing the update solved the problem for me.

Awesome Jeff
08-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Oh, c'mon! Like the average person actually needs 75% of the crap Microsoft "updates" to the computer... :p

Well, if you're an average person you would say that. And sure alot of updates aren't all that important, they are even optional, Windows Update won't install them for you unless you tell it to. But security fixes like this one are quite serious and should NOT be overlooked or uninstalled unless you know what you're up to. The fact that a game developer is advising people to do so is disconcerting.

I was actually surprised that they were telling people to uninstall a windows update to fix something with their game.

Yeah i know right. Could end in bad media coverage.

Bayle Skyfire
08-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to play the game on linux, where I can feel more at ease with security in the first place. However, I'll wait for a proper fix before I compromise my own computer.

For the record, I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and my client does crash.

GadeJ
08-14-2013, 11:07 AM

EDIT

The Microsoft security fix specifically addresses an issue that requires a LOCAL LOGON. If you are the only user of your computer, or if you live alone, or if you have an average family around you that won't be crafting computer hacks against you, it is relatively safe to omit this specific security patch until Trion patches their software.

It is a workaround that is only unsafe if you live with people that want to harm your computer. -GJ

Luka
08-14-2013, 11:20 AM
The Microsoft security fix specifically addresses an issue that requires a LOCAL LOGON. If you are the only user of your computer, or if you live alone, or if you have an average family around you that won't be crafting computer hacks against you, it is relatively safe to omit this specific security patch until Trion patches their software.

It is a workaround that is only unsafe if you live with people that want to harm your computer. -GJ

Google Translate, sorry for the mistake: This is absolutely not true: Any software on a PC with limited rights can possibly obtain administrator privileges to infect the PC or otherwise cause damage. Of course, the user's fault! LOL ... This happens locally - but that should not happen. Therefore, the security patch! Trion's answer to the problem is an indictment. Defiance apparently uses vulnerabilities in Windows? How about clean programming?

Rsonly
08-14-2013, 11:22 AM

This is not a big problem for the majority, since some people don't even update their windows. And for the rest of the people, like you know what they are doing, so temporarily uninstall an update isn't a problem.

But the point is they should never "advise" people to uninstall a security update or any windows update, for a game.
Just the normal we are on it please be patient is enough.
The least they can do is to "advise" people to reinstall the update after their gaming sessions.

dahanese
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Hey guys -

Just to make sure everyone's on the same page: please don't do anything that makes you feel unsafe or that makes your computer less secure. We have people looking into a fix for this - one chap was here till 6 am - and we will update you when we have more info.

Luka
08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Also infected software that is installed locally by the user is logged in locally. The vulnerability also relates to any potentially unsafe software that I install on my PC. There are enough sites hacked the network and no one can guarantee that software is clean. No software in a restricted account should be easy to get to higher rights - hence the patch. Who's talking about evil people in the same house tells ********!

(Google Translate, sry)

Awesome Jeff
08-14-2013, 11:57 AM

Really? Around here tens of thousands of high school kids use the same laptop at home as they do at school. A laptop they are very likely to be running games on as well. It is actually a very valid risk for your "average kid" playing video games. People ignorant to computer security are the reason computer viruses and malware spread disrupting regular network traffic. Grow some knowledge!

I could argue your ears off, but in the end it's a matter of principle. It's something a serious business does not ask a customer to do, plain and simple.

Eirxia
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

For users of Windows 7 64-bit, today's Window's update contains a fix that will likely cause your copy of Defiance to crash. We are investigating why the update has a conflict, but until then, we are advising you uninstall the specific update that causes the crash.

At this point in time, only Windows 7 64-bit users are affected, and this fix has proved successful for most. If you experience otherwise, please let us know so we can explore other avenues of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the patience!

This KB is not installed on my system and I still have the problem. I am currently going through 30 windows updates to try to isolate the issue if it's a .NET issue.

Z0mb1E
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
This KB is not installed on my system and I still have the problem. I am currently going through 30 windows updates to try to isolate the issue if it's a .NET issue.

I have to agree here, I started seeing client crashes on Monday before "Super Tuesday". I've had at least a couple a night starting on Monday.

Valaska
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Hey guys -

Just to make sure everyone's on the same page: please don't do anything that makes you feel unsafe or that makes your computer less secure. We have people looking into a fix for this - one chap was here till 6 am - and we will update you when we have more info.

I know a few developers/code monkey/script kiddies if you want to pay for outsourcing, either of which has actually hacked multiple games including yours, develop their own personal "fixes" etc.

Combatclown430
08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Just to be clear, it isn't just windows 7. I have Vista 64 and it isn't working for me either.

Billy Guile
08-14-2013, 03:22 PM
havent had it yet. *fist pump*

Conneri
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Just to note, the KB was installed in this case, but was hidden in the list. If you do want to uninstall, please do check a bit further than just the last set of updates. It could be trying to be devious. :) However, if you are having a hard time finding the issue, it's probably better to wait it out an go get some fresh air tonight.

Billy Guile
08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
don't restart. unless you already did. then, i'm sorry.

TigrisMorte
08-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Listen up folks that have not the faintest clue what this vulnerability is nor what the security patch actually does but are warning about "unsafe" and accusing Trion of using a vulnerability.

It doesn't and they're not.

This has to do with how MS allows access to memory and a mistake they made would allow escalation of permissions only when a person with log in credentials used a specially crafted program.

Certain hardware/software are affected by this patch likely because it changed the way memory is accessed.
No "bad" "dangerous" programing occurred.

It really is only an issue if you are in an environment where your access won't allow a reboot.

The reason this is a non-issue for gamers is because if you can reboot, you can own the machine without the vulnerability or in fact any log in rights.

"but but high school kids!!!" please understand if they have access to the machine they can do anything they want at anytime with no need for this. All that is required is a reboot using removable media. "but but locked down bios no boot from media!!!" So just need a server on the USB stick. Windows thinks it is a keyboard and allows full access. Total cost of server on a stick? About 55 US.

tldr; you are in no way in danger from this vulnerability. With or without Defiance.

Billy Guile
08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
it got meh :(

fix already applied.

profit.

Standagard
08-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Against my better judgement - i preach patching - i uinstalled everything that came in that patch last night - and the game still won't launch. reinstalling patches. hopefully someone will fix this soon.

chrimel
08-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Those accusing Trion of using bad code or vulnerabilities, if you follow the patch link at the beginning of the thread, it states on the Microsoft website that it is a known issue of the patch to break multiple games.

ten4
08-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Not going to uninstall windows security updates.

This is only game I have that is havin problems with it.

Well, guess I have to wait a few weeks or months to play Defiance again.

W/e. No big loss there!

Rakshasa
08-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Those accusing Trion of using bad code or vulnerabilities, if you follow the patch link at the beginning of the thread, it states on the Microsoft website that it is a known issue of the patch to break multiple games.

Yep, straight from the horse's mouth:

Known issues with this security update

Some users may experience issues with certain games after they install security update 2859537. In some cases, users may not successfully start and sign in to the games. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

I stopped letting Windows just install whatever it wants automatically a long time ago, due to things like this. Making it wait for permission and holding off for a day or so to see if there's any kind of fallout from updates can sometimes avoid some major gaming-related headaches.

TetsuoDark
08-15-2013, 02:08 AM
@ Standagard

There is a chance that you never removed the correct update even though you removed a bunch of them. Try doing a specific search for patch "KB2859537", when I looked for mine it was not on any list as if Windows was hiding it. I used the search window on the top right of the updates window (Win7-64) and it showed up no problem.

GLLA
08-15-2013, 03:34 AM
I run on an Acer Laptop, which runs on the 32 bit operating system. I have the same issues as the 64-bit errors, but I cannot find the designated update that causes the problem. This error does not only cause errors with 64-bit, but 32-bit systems as well.

squidgod2000
08-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Having the same problem with Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Instead of ****ing around with uninstalling security updates, I'm just gonna stop playing.

Vega
08-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Did a roll back just to be safe and updated 7 64bit with all but that one. Thx for the warning

Sanguinesun
08-15-2013, 06:18 AM

W/e. No big loss there!

Having the same problem with Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Instead of ****ing around with uninstalling security updates, I'm just gonna stop playing.

That's what I did. Hasnt really mattered as Im playing other games from the steam sale anyway and Im certainly not going through any missing of playing atm really.

squidgod2000
08-15-2013, 07:31 AM
That's what I did. Hasnt really mattered as Im playing other games from the steam sale anyway and Im certainly not going through any missing of playing atm really.

Yeah, I was gonna quit soon for FFXIV anyways.

Valaska
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM

W/e. No big loss there!

Dust Elysian Tale, PS2, and many others currently are having issues with this security update. Other teams have more or less fixed it already (Dust obviously hasn't as its just one guy) so give Trion a bit or time to fix it, it is a widespread patch that has broken many games, luckily enough you play the games that haven't been affected :>

Except for this I mean.

Iceberg
08-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Same, not having any problems playing DCUO.

grayvus
08-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm having this issue but I do not see the stated update on my list of updates. not sure what to do from here.

ten4
08-15-2013, 02:36 PM
So any updates on this? Please?

Erhelaos
08-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Personally, i chose to uninstall the Microsoft update and enjoy this game. Do you really, all you people that complain and accuse Trion all the time on all the forums, believe that this update that crashed several other applications, is really going to make your computer "hackproof" and protect you from all the evil hackers out there that for some reason targeted you!!!!!???????
Spare Trion some time and let them work with Microsoft to find a solution. Honestly...who do you believe f*cked this up? MICROSOFT or Trion??? I BET Microsoft!
Till then, either uninstall the update or just don't play. And if you really hate the game, then please spare all the rest of us with your complains and just uninstall the game, play an otherone or do whatever else pleases you!!

ZeroIQ
08-15-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm using the 64bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate and I did have the problem loading the game. Uninstalling KB2859537 fixed the issue for me.

The only thing is I just know at some point the OS is going to forget I've uninstalled it and it will install it again so we really do need a real fix from Trion.

CaptainCasualty
08-15-2013, 03:43 PM
To those who say it's stupid to remove: read the issue that it fixes. Most of us games run with admin privileges ANYWAY...

To those who say it's Trions fault, read the MS page:"Some users may experience issues with certain games after they install security update 2859537. In some cases, users may not successfully start and sign in to the games. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available."

Obviously NOT just Trion having issues.

Now for my real issue... How do I remove a patch that I know is there but doesn't show up in add remove programs/installed updates?

CaptThad
08-15-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm reading a ton of games are being hit by this patch. Sucks that MS didn't get it sorted before releasing it; hope it doesn't take them too long to fix it.

Now for my real issue... How do I remove a patch that I know is there but doesn't show up in add remove programs/installed updates?

Just to eliminate the obvious: Did you scroll far enough down the list to see it? Patches are default sorted by category then date, so it can be a little misleading at first glance.

Valaska
08-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I was gonna quit soon for FFXIV anyways.

Don't do that, if you're going to switch you should pick a GOOD game, because every FF that has come out since 8 (or 9 if you were into it) has been trash with a limited exception for 11, 12 would have been good but the main character was a sopping wet bag of severed ****s.

FF14 is going to be as bad as it always was, most people have already confirmed it whom have beta tested their changes... Its still crap.

ChTiPowA
08-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Well for me it works, after uninstalling the windows update's fix, the game started to launch.
So thanks Trion for letting us know because i nearly gone to uninstall/reinstall would have takes a few hours for nothing.

Now for the one who trolled by saying he'd rather go on Linux and to play, well good luck with that.
Linux is not so good, it's even craps with AMD/ATI hardware.
Also, emulation doesn't do all the jobs and you may experiences unexpected issues with modern game like this one, works perfectly with others oldies like Warcraft 3.
So i always take a laugh when i see a linux troll.

Linux is best for server but for desktop it's a pain in the ***, watch about Ubuntu complain.
Just a start, Pulseaudio is the biggest crap ever and also there is no integrated Equalizer and there will never be. Oh what ? I have all on Windows ? Yes i do, i do have EQ integrated in my audio driver and i'm using it all the times and it works like a charm but this is impossible on Linux.
And when it works on some softwares on linux, then there is a volume bug, the sound is too loud and crappy too and there is no solution about that.
However i'm starting to think twice about Linux since they force us to install and use that bugged Pulseaudio like hell, cause so much troubles for less benefits, with ALSA all is perfect but guess what, they are creating software that will force you to use Pulseaudio and still guess what ? I need one of them so i can't remove that piece of ....
So thanks you Linux troll for the laugh.

Windows works with all hardware without any issue and that's enough for most of people.
You just install driver and here we go, it just works.
On Linux, my AMD/ATI hardware cause blackscreen at boot and i had to reconfigure my GRUB to force ATI driver to load to prevents that, it tooks a few months for me to find this way.
So don't tell me Linux is better than Windows.

Windows is easy to use, easy to install and easy to play.
That's it.

So i'm glad than Trion warned us about that fix which i don't care anyway, i'm the only one on this computer.
Its not the first times than a fix cause a software failure, but at least there is a workaround.

Bored Peon
08-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Funny thing about that update...

I was online late last night when it finished downloading and installing. I hit the retart button. Next thing I know Windows gets to the part after the reboot where it installs the update, then it just abruptly reboots the computer instead of installing. Which of course corrupted Windows and ended up reinstalling everything.

Kinda good to hear the patch did cause other issues as well. Removes some of that paranoia of it being only my issue.

skepticck
08-15-2013, 08:15 PM
From what i read in the Rift forums, the issue has been fixed for them, so when will it be fixed for us ?

Bayle Skyfire
08-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Hi,

Well for me it works, after uninstalling the windows update's fix, the game started to launch.
So thanks Trion for letting us know because i nearly gone to uninstall/reinstall would have takes a few hours for nothing.

Now for the one who trolled by saying he'd rather go on Linux and to play, well good luck with that.
Linux is not so good, it's even craps with AMD/ATI hardware.
Also, emulation doesn't do all the jobs and you may experiences unexpected issues with modern game like this one, works perfectly with others oldies like Warcraft 3.
So i always take a laugh when i see a linux troll.
Windows works with all hardware without any issue and that's enough for most of people.
You just install driver and here we go, it just works.
On Linux, my AMD/ATI hardware cause blackscreen at boot and i had to reconfigure my GRUB to force ATI driver to load to prevents that, it tooks a few months for me to find this way.
So don't tell me Linux is better than Windows.

Windows is easy to use, easy to install and easy to play.
That's it.

Making a comment about wishing I could play Defiance on a linux native port is not a troll, bud. I'm sorry you have issues with it, that's your poor luck, I only had issues while messing around with things and trying to get AMD drivers working, which isn't any fault of linux itself, it's AMD's.

Windows does not support ALL hardware. I had to fight with it to get several smartphones to connect, along with a few other things I can't really recall, but the point is moot. No OS is perfect. As a matter of fact, I had issues with my audio driver EQ not working right with the last mobo I was using in my rig.

Now, back to the subject this topic was actually created for, I play Defiance only periodically because of time restraints and other things, so waiting for a "real fix" won't bother me. Those that are willing to uninstall the update that broke everything are well entitled to do so, I just won't fight Windows for just one game. As many on here have already stated, I have plenty of others to occupy my free time.

angryglock
08-16-2013, 05:55 AM
From what i read in the Rift forums, the issue has been fixed for them, so when will it be fixed for us ?

This ^. I ran the Rift patch and logged in there so that side of the house has a fix. Run and tap one of the Rift devs on the shoulder.

hardy83
08-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Yes there was a Rift client patch that fixed the issue on their side without users having to do anything on theirs. Will Defiance get the same treatment?

Snodination
08-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Can you please post an update on this issue?

VicousBlood
08-16-2013, 10:57 AM
If you want more info on it click the link I provided (last link), directly from microsoft. I doubt if it were that simple they would have had a work around for the programs it affects. This article was posted as soon as the patch was released so they knew it had issues beforehand. It is even effecting some native windows programs, even BSOD's for some users at bootup. And seeing this issue has a more prominent effect on x64 based systems this is not pure API error from 3rd party application development (so don't blame Trion). Otherwise this issue would be a problem on and across both x86 and x64 plats and it's not just Win 7 or 8; XP users have also started to report the miscellaneous problems specifically with KB 2859537 (I've verified this on one of my old XP machines )and XP does not have the more advanced secure & priviledged states that Win 7 & 8 have. I've posted this on other threads as well as you may have noticed, yes I'm a little pissed it happened because it completely corrupted one of my server apps. But I hate seeing people jump on Trion when it's not their fault. In short, 6 of those updates were botched including the one affecting Defiance & Rift.

Some other articles concerning this update (KB 2859537):
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-botches-six-windows-patches-in-latest-automatic-update-224988

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/kb2859537-bsod/2787e746-cea2-41ae-b2fc-c2979c1c03e1

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/182034-microsoft-kb2859537-update-causes-bsod-on-windows-7-and-xp/

Just decided to re-link the original article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859537

chillingblock
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
This will help...

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?122297-Game-doesn-t-want-to-run-since-recent-Windows-update.

Morgana
08-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Our engineers are working on correcting the conflict Defiance has with the Windows patch that causes the game to crash, and that work will continue through the weekend.

I hope to come back with more solid details for early next week, but I am reluctant to hand down a defined date/time until the situation is more concrete. As soon as I get more information, I will return to update this thread again.

~ Morgana

skepticck
08-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Maybe you should borrow Rift's engineers since they already corrected the problem and we are not even getting an ETA.
Should be easy, aren't you now all in the same building.

Jess Duit
08-16-2013, 08:18 PM

~ Morgana

ok i get there our issues with servers(as everyone knows *cough* *cough*) but y is it that when there is repairs/patches on one server all ur servers on all platforms go dark? like right now the ps3 servers are down. really?!!? i mean like it should cause u to bring them all down unless you r apply a patch or repairing all of them. but ur only fixing pc supposedly.

Billy Guile
08-16-2013, 10:57 PM
deleted the update the other night. game worked.
update still not present in file, game not working again.
can't figure out why. the exe looks like its going to work, and then theres nothing.

Rambo86
08-17-2013, 12:18 AM

"This security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows" and this sentence made me wonder who exactly reported these issues . So yea , Windows is bloated with updates , patches and fixes and its still aweful piece of "Winslows"

Knightmage
08-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Just a quick note. Uninstalling the update works, but unless you go into windows updates on your system, and "hide" the update it will reinstall each time you shut down windows. Once Trion or Microcrap fixes the conflict you can "unhide" the update, let it patch and feel safe again (until another of the remaining million holes in windows is found.)

Orbital
08-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Just a quick note. Uninstalling the update works, but unless you go into windows updates on your system, and "hide" the update it will reinstall each time you shut down windows. Once Trion or Microcrap fixes the conflict you can "unhide" the update, let it patch and feel safe again (until another of the remaining million holes in windows is found.)

That is only if you have it setup to automatically download and install updates for you, I choose to do it manually and haven't had this occur.

ArkGuardian_MichaelDial
08-17-2013, 06:31 PM
That is only if you have it setup to automatically download and install updates for you, I choose to do it manually and haven't had this occur.

That is True.

I have uninstall that blooming update today and finally the Game is Running. :)

Billy Guile
08-17-2013, 10:31 PM
i'm manual on all of my stuff, and it for sure doesn't exist anymore. two days later, back to not being able to play again.

VicousBlood
08-18-2013, 07:27 AM
i'm manual on all of my stuff, and it for sure doesn't exist anymore. two days later, back to not being able to play again.

You may want to check your event logs in windows or Defiance Startup log in the Defiance installation folder. That update ruined my video driver as well, I had to download and reinstall it.

ten4
08-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Other games have already addressed this with hotfixes, which also includes Rift....

VicousBlood
08-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Other games have already addressed this with hotfixes, which also includes Rift....

Yeah some private hotfixes are out, but had microsoft tested these updates more before they released them, a lot less people would be making hotfixes. I find it silly it even affected some of microsofts own programs (it wasn't just games but certain softwares, made by reputable companies were even affected). I had a server app get corrupted & nvidia driver half wiped after those updates, and those were only the things I had checked recently. No telling what other damage has been done yet. On my work laptop, I just found it started making the Intel Turbo Boost monitor infinitely loop wasting CPU usage (yes I have brought this to their attention). Short 1 min video of that issue after the update, turn on annotations if you want to know what is fully going on in the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEbZ_14s5Y

Jack Stiber
08-19-2013, 04:44 AM
So, I purchased the season pass and have been really running out of steam playing and went off to other things. I was hoping the DLC would bring me back in, but since the windows update thing I haven't been able to log in. Removing the update didn't help.

What are the chances of their being a hotfix before the supposed release date of the DLC tomorrow?

VicousBlood
08-19-2013, 04:58 AM
So, I purchased the season pass and have been really running out of steam playing and went off to other things. I was hoping the DLC would bring me back in, but since the windows update thing I haven't been able to log in. Removing the update didn't help.

What are the chances of their being a hotfix before the supposed release date of the DLC tomorrow?
I don't know how long it will take on Trion side, but, Microsoft is working on a patch to patch the old patch. <<< Actually saying that sounds so ridiculous.

ten4
08-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Yea well, over week now and no fix from either side....

Skolia
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Did some quick tests, what looks like what's happening is the patcher tries to create a token file in the user's temporary directory (Usually \Users\USERID\AppData\Local\temp) - the file gets created but nothing gets written to it (0 bytes). Unsure why.

Changed my TEMP environment variable to another drive (one I use just to record FRAPS grabs) and saw it do the same thing there so I don't think it's permissions.

Apparently Microsoft is already aware of this and similar issues, this is noted in the KB article
"Known issues with this security update: Some users may experience issues with certain programs after they install security update 2859537. In some cases the programs may not successfully start. We are also aware of limited reports that certain users may encounter difficulties restarting their computers after applying this security update. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available. "

Morgana
08-19-2013, 04:07 PM
UPDATE 8/19 @ 4:00PM Pacific Afternoon, all.

Tomorrow's update will contain a fix for the Windows crash affecting 64-bit users. The update starts at 9:50 AM Pacific, and is estimated to last about 4 hours. After that, you should no longer receive a crash after launching, even with the KB2859537 Windows Update installed.

Deathwish
08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Good, I think I updated the alpha test and it was working although the server is not online, so I'm hoping whatever they put in the alpha server patch is in tomorrow's patch so I can play again.

Billy Guile
08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
You may want to check your event logs in windows or Defiance Startup log in the Defiance installation folder. That update ruined my video driver as well, I had to download and reinstall it.

i checked. video cards are running full speed with no issues to drivers. i did get the same temp file issue >.< i think its funny i can run BF3 without a hiccup, and not this.

at this point, i'm not even really making much effort to look in to it, anymore. this whole DLC thing doesn't even seem to be worth the hassle. for you learned computer folk, that may come as a genuine shock; i do have better games to play and more irl stuff to consider my time being used more effectively.

ZeroIQ
08-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I can't logon to Defiance again :-(

I've made sure KB2859537 is uninstalled.

Has there been another patch stopping us from being able to logon?

Iceberg
08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
I can't logon to Defiance again :-(

I've made sure KB2859537 is uninstalled.

Has there been another patch stopping us from being able to logon?

Are you stuck at Connecting to server?

Mad
08-29-2013, 03:02 PM
i sure as hell am .. amazing .. i decide to give an epic fail game another shot a few months later and its worse then when i stopped playing ...

Kahlan Blade
08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I am also stuck at the "Connecting to Servers" page.

Iceberg
08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
i sure as hell am .. amazing .. i decide to give an epic fail game another shot a few months later and its worse then when i stopped playing ...

Ya I just tried jumping on, so im stuck on connecting at server for the NA region on pc. :(

ZeroIQ
08-30-2013, 04:35 AM

I couldn't even get past that point yesterday, I clicked logon button and nothing happened. Which was exactly the same thing that happened for me with the KB2859537 issue.

I guess it must have been a server issue because it seems to be working for me today.

joeybrox
12-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, I am receiving "Defiance.exe has stopped working" immediately after launcher checks patches.
I have read this entire thread and the only thing I have seen was that the windows update from a million years ago that caused this problem. I checked, this update is NOT on my computer. I am running 64bit windows 7, but as stated, no update. I tried the method of finding it when it was hiding "like a ninja" i believe is what was said. Installed updates, searched for the one in question. No joy.

Running
3.3Ghz 6 core AMD Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series with 2GB DDR5 RAM
64-Bit Windows 7
EDIT: I have the most updated catalyst drivers as well, done not a week ago.

Error Message:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Defiance.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 529ecf41
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0009
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 74bc8e3d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0009
Additional Information 2: 0009542b5201a7e79812225d4573f933
Additional Information 3: 748a
Additional Information 4: 748a9d8b4969dc1c73bd39f90aa8b185

EDIT: I also tried Adding to the Data Execution Prevention List. I got a message that it couldn't be run this way, something of the sort.

I play the game on Xbox Live, and purchased last night in order to get the better experience on PC, as it always is, but I get this. PLEASE someone tell me there is a way to fix this!

OMG please disregard.
I right clicked on launcher and pressed "run as administrator"
PROBLEM SOLVED!