PDA

View Full Version : Game doesn't want to run since recent Windows update.

zazonion
08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
I click on the launcher and press play. The game won't run, I read somewhere on the forums that it's a security file KB28 something something something. I can't restore back to a point to the up date, and I have no idea how to uninstall it. Is there anyway I can play is?

Mike Farad
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
if you're running win7,
1. go to control panel
2. click on "uninstall a program" on bottom left
3. click on "view installed updates" on left side
4. look for KB2859537 on that list, and uninstall

zazonion
08-14-2013, 06:00 PM
I did all that, now the windows update symbol is next to the shut down button, how do I get that to not install again when I shut it down? Also the game is working.

Mike Farad
08-14-2013, 06:14 PM
click on the start button and type "windows update"
click on the "change setting" on the left
under "important updates", change the option from "download and install automatically" to "check for updates but let me choose to download and install them"

we'll just have to watch out for that specific KB update in updating until MS or Trion fix the conflict.

edit: you might have to uninstall the problem KB one more time since the off button got that update image on it already, not sure

Thrakus
08-14-2013, 07:49 PM
I got the same problem went and got all the windows updates and looked for KB2859537 and did not find it. I hit the play button and it see the circle icon next to my mouse then a couple seconds later it disappears and I can click it again and it does the same.

Etny
08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Yep, its that windows update. SOB

fArk Hunter
08-15-2013, 01:23 AM
If it's KB2859537, then it's an important security patch. Probably NOT a good idea to uninstall.

Looks like I'm kicking my Defiance gaming habit until Trion gets a fix.

Can read more here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-063

Mike Farad
08-15-2013, 01:45 AM
If it's KB2859537, then it's an important security patch. Probably NOT a good idea to uninstall.

Can read more here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-063

it depends. if the computer is being used by people you don't trust then the patch is of importance. however if it's simply you using the computer then it's no problem.
the patch notes that:
"The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users."

SupDvoryane
08-15-2013, 01:45 AM

This patch so bad. Microsoft wrote that if there were failures after updating remove this file. All Internet knows about it.

TooStoneD
08-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Thrakus
I got the same problem went and got all the windows updates and looked for KB2859537 and did not find it. I hit the play button and it see the circle icon next to my mouse then a couple seconds later it disappears and I can click it again and it does the same.

Best way would be to hide the update. Just go to the windows update screen where you can select wich upgrades to install , Right click on it and hide it (Makes it unsellectable) this way it wont install that update again while still doing the normal auto updating, to install it afterwords just look under hidden updates ni the same screen

VicousBlood
08-15-2013, 04:24 AM
Can't blame Trion for this one, Microsoft admitted they knew it would cause problems for some games and still released it anyway.

Britalek
08-15-2013, 05:06 AM
if you're running win7,
1. go to control panel
2. click on "uninstall a program" on bottom left
3. click on "view installed updates" on left side
4. look for KB2859537 on that list, and uninstall

Thanks bro :)

Verda
08-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Best way would be to hide the update. Just go to the windows update screen where you can select wich upgrades to install , Right click on it and hide it (Makes it unsellectable) this way it wont install that update again while still doing the normal auto updating, to install it afterwords just look under hidden updates ni the same screen

This is incredible help. I'm really a unix person, I didn't even mess with pcs much until my last job. I never noticed this feature. I even copied this link down before the *** security update took place. However I'm paging through a LOT of data. Pages. Anyone happen to notice where in the list it is? first page, second page.. third page... I've gone through it several times already. It installed 4000 updates. Fortunately there is not that many items.. but.. pages

Thanks for all the help

Verda

Myria
08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
This patch so bad. Microsoft wrote that if there were failures after updating remove this file. All Internet knows about it.

Could you provide a link to that, please?

For something "All [the] Internet knows about" it's odd that a quick search didn't turn up any mention of problems with the patch.

That, and Diablo 3, Rift, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars 1, and Fallen Earth, to name a few online games I tried, all work fine. Defiance is the only game I tried that had a problem.

Verda
08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
This is incredible help. I'm really a unix person, I didn't even mess with pcs much until my last job. I never noticed this feature. I even copied this link down before the *** security update took place. However I'm paging through a LOT of data. Pages. Anyone happen to notice where in the list it is? first page, second page.. third page... I've gone through it several times already. It installed 4000 updates. Fortunately there is not that many items.. but.. pages

Thanks for all the help

Verda

WARNING
WARNING
WARNING

Replying rather then editing people will assume I got it. I did two line by line searches of my entire update list. I have mouse finger now, the finger is cramping. I thought to get around this by doing a system restore. Not only was it the longest restore I ever did, it failed to start afterward. I had to repair the restore... I was glad the computer even came up. I was searching for the power supply on my laptop.... Now this may be only a quirk of my model HP.. but then again.. maybe not. I'm just saying, if you are thinking of a system restore till you find out how to find the bad file..... maybe you should rethink. I'm now going to shut off automatic system update till I receive more data.

Sanguinesun
08-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Here's something I just thought on:

Given Trion's working with MS for Defiance (at least the 360 side obviously) and that supposedly MS knew about this before releasing this update to the public, you'd think they'd have given Trion a heads up for it perhaps(yes I know two different departments and as well its MS afterall but still). :P

piedlpiper
08-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Same for me :-(

Verda
08-15-2013, 02:32 PM

You are a god. after my system restore/boot failure/repair the restore... It actually removed only 12 updates of 4000. And that took awhile too. Then and only then I could see KB59537. I did what you said and am greatly relieved. I'm playing again.

Verda

VicousBlood
08-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Could you provide a link to that, please?

For something "All [the] Internet knows about" it's odd that a quick search didn't turn up any mention of problems with the patch.

That, and Diablo 3, Rift, Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars 1, and Fallen Earth, to name a few online games I tried, all work fine. Defiance is the only game I tried that had a problem.

It's posted on Microsoft's own Knowledge Base. Under More information. They knew the patch had issues before they released it, they just really didn't care and still released it. And as it shows in the summary SOME games, so they know it's not just a conflict with Trion games. And maybe not any games you have personally installed but they do know there are games out there it affects. My best guess is they hoped program developers would figure it out for them, because microsoft is still researching the problem themselves. (Disregard the XP notice at the top as it's not part of the article concerning the patch).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859537

Myria
08-16-2013, 03:37 AM
It's posted on Microsoft's own Knowledge Base. Under More information. They knew the patch had issues before they released it, they just really didn't care and still released it.

Unsurprisingly, the MS knowledge base site says nothing of the kind.

My best guess is they hoped program developers would figure it out for them, because microsoft is still researching the problem themselves.

What exactly do you think MS needs to "figure out"?

Programmer uses undocumented API/Function call, undocumented API/Function call is removed, program is broken. It happens, without a whole lot more information blaming MS (or any other OS supplier) for it is downright ignorant.

Given that the few games I can find that are affected are all online games, chances are they were all using a similar exploit to gain elevated privileges for their security modules.

The only real surprise there is that Defiance even had a security module to break.

VicousBlood
08-16-2013, 07:41 AM
If you want more info on it click the link I provided in the previous post, directly from microsoft. I doubt if it were that simple they would have had a work around for the programs it affects. This article was posted as soon as the patch was released so they knew it had issues beforehand. It is even effecting some native windows programs, even BSOD's for some users at bootup. And seeing this issue has a more prominent effect on x64 based systems this is not pure API error from 3rd party application development. Otherwise this issue would be a problem on and across both x86 and x64 plats and it's not just Win 7 or 8; XP users have also started to report the miscellaneous problems specifically with KB 2859537 (I've verified this on one of my old XP machines )and XP does not have the more advanced secure & priviledged states that Win 7 & 8 have.

Some other articles concerning this update (KB 2859537):
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-botches-six-windows-patches-in-latest-automatic-update-224988

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/kb2859537-bsod/2787e746-cea2-41ae-b2fc-c2979c1c03e1

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/182034-microsoft-kb2859537-update-causes-bsod-on-windows-7-and-xp/

Just decided to re-link the original article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859537

Ignorance is when you don't look at ALL sides of a matter, and I did my research before I pointed the finger at Microsoft. Just because they made your OS doesn't mean they can't also screw it up. They're not bots.

InfamousBrad
08-16-2013, 08:42 PM
That being said, if I understood her right, Dahanese said on this afternoon's webcast that they have a work-around for this in testing right now and are hoping to push it out to us as soon as possible.

Iceberg
08-16-2013, 10:13 PM
That being said, if I understood her right, Dahanese said on this afternoon's webcast that they have a work-around for this in testing right now and are hoping to push it out to us as soon as possible.

I thought the work around was to just delete the microsoft update?

Billy Guile
08-16-2013, 11:42 PM
so did i. it worked at first. now it doesn't.

Iceberg
08-17-2013, 06:36 PM
so did i. it worked at first. now it doesn't.

Do you have your system set to auto download and install updates?

Z0mb1E
08-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Note this KB did cause issues with MANY other games and apps. If you're looking for a reason to quit Defiance, you can find plenty of other reasons to do so (on these forums), however this issue cannot be blamed directly on Trion guess you'll need to reroll for /blame.