PDA

View Full Version : Syphon changes

Tekrunner
08-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Some changes to syphon appear to be in place on the test server:

The short delay between the proc and the actual damage + healing is gone. As a side-effect, this makes it harder to test things, as syphon damage numbers now appear in the middle of all the other numbers.
The 1.5 second cooldown between procs appears to be in place. At least I haven't been able to get the same kind of chain procs that used to happen with some weapons.
I haven't been able to get multiple procs per shot with a VOT fragger, but that wasn't happening with all weapons before, so it's not really conclusive. If you find syphon fraggers or nano fraggers, feel free to experiment and report your results.

In spite of this syphon still feels useful for PvE, but it's not as OP as before (so you can't stand in front of 3 volges shooting them in the head and expect to survive very long). It's hard to say for PvP, since it's almost impossible to get that to start on the server. Personally I feel like the bio nano has comparatively gained in usefulness, both for PvP and PvE. Instead of healing sludge reduces the damage and movement speed of enemies, which has the similar consequence of keeping you alive longer.

Arsenic_Touch
08-15-2013, 07:56 AM
It's not just syphon, applies to all nano effects.

Tekrunner
08-15-2013, 08:00 AM
It's not just syphon, applies to all nano effects.

Yeah, you're right. But I think that syphon is what these changes targeted, and what people will really care about.

Arsenic_Touch
08-15-2013, 08:55 AM
It made the volge battle rifle only proc a fire nano like every other minute it seems, haha. And that's a slow firing weapon.

Cavadus
08-15-2013, 10:54 AM
It made the volge battle rifle only proc a fire nano like every other minute it seems, haha. And that's a slow firing weapon.

Nah, that's just bad RNG.

These are some much needed changes. Syphon is still good. One of the reasons I quit playing TDM (and roll Shadow Wars exclusively) was because I refused to roll Cloak and had a baller syphon tachmag. It just got super boring when I was virtually invincible in a crowd of three enemies due to syphon's proc rate.

curriepowda
08-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Did you say the healing effect is gone for syphen? Pls clearafie

Cavadus
08-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Did you say the healing effect is gone for syphen? Pls clearafie

No, he said the delay between the time of the proc and damage/heal occurring has been removed so there's no longer any lag between proc and effect.

Arsenic_Touch
08-15-2013, 03:27 PM
No, he said the delay between the time of the proc and damage/heal occurring has been removed so there's no longer any lag between proc and effect.

Which means there won't be any more syphon rezzing, heh.

Tekrunner
08-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Which means there won't be any more syphon rezzing, heh.

Oh right, that must be the reason for that change. For now res from the regen perk still happens though.

Heinzlee
08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Some changes to syphon appear to be in place on the test server:

The short delay between the proc and the actual damage + healing is gone. As a side-effect, this makes it harder to test things, as syphon damage numbers now appear in the middle of all the other numbers.
The 1.5 second cooldown between procs appears to be in place. At least I haven't been able to get the same kind of chain procs that used to happen with some weapons.
I haven't been able to get multiple procs per shot with a VOT fragger, but that wasn't happening with all weapons before, so it's not really conclusive. If you find syphon fraggers or nano fraggers, feel free to experiment and report your results.

In spite of this syphon still feels useful for PvE, but it's not as OP as before (so you can't stand in front of 3 volges shooting them in the head and expect to survive very long). It's hard to say for PvP, since it's almost impossible to get that to start on the server. Personally I feel like the bio nano has comparatively gained in usefulness, both for PvP and PvE. Instead of healing sludge reduces the damage and movement speed of enemies, which has the similar consequence of keeping you alive longer.

I have a sypon tachmag in the Alpha and even with a catalyst injector, I found the whole syphon effect weaker than Live.
Like you mention, I used to be able to just tank Volge Troopers on Live but can't on Alpha.
It's annecdotal but matches your results here.

I have a syphon Vot Fragger I'm happy to donate so you can test - Since you know what you're looking for.
I'm less than 300 ego on Alpha so i'm pretty sure you should be able to use it.
My details on Alpha are
AC: Heinz
Character: Heinzy

RealHoosier07
08-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm actually happy with the 1.5 second cooldown. Syphon was OP and needed to be tamed a bit. I have a green SAW with syphon that procs every couple seconds...constantly. It makes the Volge feel A LOT easier....and I'm not a fan of easy. lol

Unruhe
08-15-2013, 07:06 PM
It seems to be a ham-fisted way to balance Syphon on higher fire rate weapons, and there should be more elegant solutions to it (personally I think that proc rate should be tied to fire rate and/or proc damage should be tied to weapon damage) but if it gets the job done and Syphon is still a viable, attractive option, then I'll be happy with it.

As a side effect, it will make lower fire-rate Syphon weapons a little more competitive with the Tachmags and other high-rate SMGs. High rate will likely proc very close to 1.5 second intervals and slower weapons may lose a few fractions of a second before a re-proc, but the gap won't be as wide as it is on live.

I consider the removal of the delay a bit of a mini-buff. Syphon was of questionable value on hordes of "fodder" type mobs due to that proc delay -- the target would often be dead before the procs went off. Getting the damage and heal immediately is a welcome change.

Bonehead
08-15-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm actually happy with the 1.5 second cooldown. Syphon was OP and needed to be tamed a bit. I have a green SAW with syphon that procs every couple seconds...constantly. It makes the Volge feel A LOT easier....and I'm not a fan of easy. lol

then why use the saw at all?