PDA

View Full Version : Defiance pre-purchase Rift rip off

Ezpikins
03-31-2013, 08:56 AM
I pre-purchased Defiance and was mistakenly led to believe I would get rift free as an early registration reward, not so. I'm really disappointed in Trion and Steam for offering RIFT as a reward for early Defiance purchase. I don't have the money for another MONTHLY subscription at this time. RIFT is not Free 2 Play with this Game install it is $12/month. I would have hoped for a game I could use I will delete it as a disk space waster.

I think you should have posted that this reward is dependent on a monthly payment. Two thumbs down.:mad:

The only way to get a free sub is to install rift light which is half the game in ability, lame.

Munx
03-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Rip off? really? Is it a secret that rift is pay to play? Nope.

Furthermore, are you serious? even without counting rift, you still got the BEST DAMNED deal availible for the game.. more so if your also getting season pass.

Otis Spunks
03-31-2013, 09:00 AM
I both understand this and don't. The majority of the community already knew this game was a pay2play game since it holds the same model as World of Warcraft with the disk being sold and the ability to play the content. But I'm guessing you didn't know this? and if you did but still thought that it would be offered to only pre purchase defiance buyers thats VERY wishful thinking. Whenever I see offers like this I always take them as a gimmick, just another way to pull in more money. Developers don't give things away for free unless they have something to gain. Just be sure to next time take all offers with a grain of salt.

Munx
03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
And unless im mistaken the reward comes with a 30 day free sub, which is more gameplay then you'll get out of most games anyways.

Pasha
03-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Not sure if trolling ot just ... (some offensive phrases skipped)

Steam copy of Rift has free month. Also if $12/month is a problem - you better sell the game to those who can actually use it.

stragen001
I pre-purchased Defiance and was mistakenly led to believe I would get rift free as an early registration reward, not so. I'm really disappointed in Trion and Steam for offering RIFT as a reward for early Defiance purchase. I don't have the money for another MONTHLY subscription at this time. RIFT is not Free 2 Play with this Game install it is $12/month. I would have hoped for a game I could use I will delete it as a disk space waster.

I think you should have posted that this reward is dependent on a monthly payment. Two thumbs down.:mad:

The only way to get a free sub is to install rift light which is half the game in ability, lame.

Seriously? Rift is a subscription game. What, you thought you were going to get a free sub for life! The reward says you get a free copy of rift storm legion, WHICH IS AN EXPANSION FOR RIFT. If you can't figure out how to use Google to figure that out for yourself then you shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

LadyChaos
it says right on the rift page and box it requires a paid subscription to play. Therese no false advertising there IMO.

Arsenic_Touch
03-31-2013, 09:12 AM
You get rift for free, storm legion for free + a free month. Are you telling me you seriously expected them to drop their entire monthly subscription fee for just a preorder? I am having trouble believing you are actually serious about this.

Mechman
03-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I pre-purchased Defiance and was mistakenly led to believe I would get rift free as an early registration reward, not so. I'm really disappointed in Trion and Steam for offering RIFT as a reward for early Defiance purchase..
Uh... Rift + Storm cost money if you purchased them... so you did get them for free. If you had spent 10 seconds to look at what steam says about Rift on their own site it says in bright orange "

Credit Card Required:
A valid credit card is required to play this game, and additional, recurring subscription fees apply.

Notice: Access to the full RIFT game via downloadable client, and one (1) month subscription included for new accounts.

I've never played an MMO before but it took me less than a minute to realize Rift requires a sub fee after the first month. I'm sure while working on your B.A. you had to do research at times. Stop whining and just do what I did... give the key away to someone that will use it.

HexCaliber
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Frankly you do nothing more than complain about your own ignorance; "Oh look, a free game, wont bother finding out about it, will check it out when its done, must be good"; are you kidding.

Perhaps in future you will look before you leap, fwiw, rift is an enjoyable game that has grown in quality since its launch and worth the monthly sub. You get 30 days free play time with that offer, why not try the damn thing before crying here that you opened a box without knowing what was inside, then did not like what you found; muppet.

ironhands
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
I pre-purchased Defiance and was mistakenly led to believe I would get rift free as an early registration reward, not so.

You got Rift and Storm Legion free if you pre-purchased on Steam. Did you not get the item delivered? If you didn't, contact Steam.

It comes with a 30 day sub. The info for the game says it's a subscription based game.

How exactly were you led to believe that there was no subscription fee?

Jafo
03-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Weep for humanity people..for we are doomed

Kane
03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Average single player game price ~50eur, average game playtime (w/o replay value) 6-10 hours (average).
You get about 50 eur value (roughly) worth of game by what steam offers to you, and a free month sub, average playtime 4-6 hours/day (average statistic as of 2012 for general mmorpg games), for one month. I think you get more value out of it then you get from a single player game and you still complain about this :)

Ridrith
03-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Wow, the community here is volatile. Some of those comments are just unnecessarily asinine. Has it occurred to anybody that he might not be very familiar with how subscription games work? Believe it or not there are people who aren't as knowledgeable with how online gaming systems work, especially MMOs.

As for the post itself - It's not false advertising, even with that in mind though. Trade it for another game or simply give it away to somebody who might want the product. It could make for a nice gift.

ironhands
03-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Wow, the community here is volatile. Some of those comments are just unnecessarily asinine. Has it occurred to anybody that he might not be very familiar with how subscription games work? Believe it or not there are people who aren't as knowledgeable with how online gaming systems work, especially MMOs.

Yup, some of the users are frustrated with people essentially posting the same complaints over and over because they haven't taken the time to look up the information that's freely available.

If the bonus game was important, then I can't see how anyone wouldn't read up more on it, at least clicking the steam page, where they make no effort to hide it.

I can't see how the offer even suggests or misleads into thinking the game would be free for life, but it someone feels that strongly, take it up with Steam

vio
03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
B. A. Visual Art - Game Art
Certified Harley-Davidson Techncian
Senior Technical Illustrator
Airbrush Artist

I think you should demand a refund!

stragen001
03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
I wonder if he is going to CANCEL HIS PREORDER

spectrum
03-31-2013, 10:44 AM
close this thread already, wow why ever flame his reading incompetience.

mrp25
03-31-2013, 12:57 PM
We live in a world where when you get something for free, people will complain it is a rip off. You got Rift for free. You did not have to purchase the game, and it comes with a free month. I've already installed it and have been enjoying it. The game and the expansion bundles costs $49.99. Steam didn't have to give us anything extra at all. Self-entitlement is a horrible disease.

SphaZ
03-31-2013, 01:00 PM
I got 30 days of Rift and the expansion game for free. It keeps me entertained until Defiance goes live...works for me :)

abCurzzer
03-31-2013, 03:15 PM
And unless im mistaken the reward comes with a 30 day free sub, which is more gameplay then you'll get out of most games anyways. ummm np you dont ive been playing the game and you can only leave your starting area so you dont get a free month

Mur
03-31-2013, 03:21 PM

Rip off? More like rift off! To keep on topic, I don't really know if anyone cares about your issues with something for which you didn't pay. If they do care, I don't know. I have already posted enough to suggest that I do care, and I don't know why I keep writing this. Good god, why do I keep writing!??! I am goingtostopusingspacesoranykindofpunctuationstsrti ngwellstsrtingatgoingmainlybecauseidontgivearatspa tutiabouttheplightoftheop

Exes
03-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Oh my god! I'm feeling so ripped off for getting a free expansion for a rather good mmorpg without any additional payment for buying a game I would buy anyway! CALL THE COPS.

UsuallyDope
03-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Lol, this guy definitely set himself up real nice to get knocked back down.

Superbike32
03-31-2013, 03:41 PM
If you don't want it, give it away, but if you had watched their live-streams, not just the defiance portion...you should've known it was pay to play, and that the subscription would still exist even if you got the game through the steam offer...

And it's not like all the other rewards on steam, since all 3 tiers were unlocked weren't good enough for defiance itself...

If you don't want the game, or others, PM me, and give me the game on steam, I will play the game & sub to it...for those who don't want to bother even...as I am playing on console for Defiance since I already have a good set of friends there who will be playing...

RawrKitty
03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
even without counting rift, you still got the BEST DAMNED deal availible for the game..

all that can be said

Sonic Rain Boom
03-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone,

We feel that this thread has degenerated into a non-constructive discussion, so we've closed it. Please remember to keep your comments respectful and constructive at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!