PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Bud44
08-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I play this game mostly alone. In spite of all the numerous bugs, glitches, and outright broken systems I have enjoyed it quite a bit so far. Primarily because I have found the combat fun. However the last couple of days running into (literally, thank you pop-in) Volge every 50 yards or so, it has become a frustrating affair for me. When by yourself, they can be a pain. Especially the elite units (can't remember their names) who knock me down, even rushing through objects, and then finishing me off before I can roll or do anything else. If you have more players, they have more targets and this is not a problem. Just seems cheap to me. I am a competent shooter thank you very much. It seems as though Trion has forgotten that instances often occur very close to each other and since I don't have orange everything (in fact only got my first one, a grenade at EGO 1254 but that's a gripe for another time) I have to constantly avoid them or as I mentioned before, I just explode while driving and then I am surrounded by several volge. Sometimes they spawn very close to vendors and I am under attack while selling items. To make matters worse, quite often when I call for my vehicle or try to change classes to something better, the amount of time it takes gets me killed. Disclaimer, menu lag is a pet peeve of mine. I am assuming this has something to do with the TV show and a volge invasion. I don't know or care. I am a gamer. I like to game. If this is their idea of "encouraging" co-op, sorry, we don't all have friends that play this game. This is just ruining what was a fun experience for me. There, I got it off my chest. Go ahead and hate.
BTW I think keeping oranges rare is a good idea. But level 1254 to get one? Come on. I have only spent keys on lock boxes so far.
Can't wait for the first, "You must suck, I mop up volge all the time" response. Whatever, I like a challenge, I'm just sick of dealing with these issues every 2 mins of gameplay, that's all.

Valaska
08-15-2013, 05:01 PM
To be honest the elites are what I find easy as pie, especially the bomber, its the troopers that get me all pissed off! lol

Yewa
08-15-2013, 06:21 PM
The volge on the alpha server seems easier to kill than the ones on live, even with the new attack moves they added to the elites. You can still easily get killed by them, but it doesn't feel cheap now.

Billy Guile
08-15-2013, 06:33 PM
i like the troopers even though they jack me up. having an enemy with a close fire rate to your own is challenging. those giant elites drive me crazy with that dash attack and one hitter quitter combo. find myself crawling around quite a bit. its good to have a npc that you actually say, "ah crap. here we go"

Bud44
08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Ya I agree, but they seem to be everywhere. Guess that's my issue. It's like every two minutes. Just gettin to be a headache is all.

GiantInMaine
08-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah there are definitely too many of those emergencies compared to the others.

Deirachel
08-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Have to agree there are too many Volge emergencies. I was doing a shooting retreat from one and ran into two more. Three emergencies worth of Troopers? Yer screwed, buddy.

I also agree they need to fix the clipping/phasing for the Elite Viscera. If I've positioned a truck between it and me, it's blur should not hit me and having it behind me shooting.

WARDUKE
08-15-2013, 09:46 PM
There are more Volge troopers on the map at any given time than there are players running around on said map. Too many Trion..

Indra Echo
08-15-2013, 09:55 PM
OP, you have the right to think what you think-no one else can insert their opinion into your brain. But, here goes-maybe this might help you understand things. Up until they Afflicted returned the Volge were the latest foes and were everywhere and people really liked it for the most part. They have great loot drops and offered more of a challenge which many liked.

The Afflicted came back as part of rewind content, and the Volge numbers dropped. A lot of fans were not so happy and wanted lots of Volge back-for a lot of reasons. The Afflicted for the most part (or totally) are gone once again and the Volge are back. This is what a lot of people wanted. And Volge Death Marches (or Volge Hunting) in groups has been really popular.

Ok, you like to go solo. That can both work for you and work against you. When you are alone, foes are weaker-the game adjusts this based upon the number of people fighting a foe up to some unknown point. It's super easy to do some arkfalls solo.

The Volge also can be avoided-go around, do not pose a threat. They tend to not attack first unless your car is destroyed by them or their emergency drops right on top of you.

There are also strategies to beat them. Cloak doesn't work so well. Overcharge and Decoy can. So can anything with bugs that distract them-like an infector grenade or a Canker. Also look for Volge emergencies with turrets or allies you need to revive. They will help distract them and even do some damage. And there are always the ones with the rocket launchers you can use. And target their faces or the red spots on them for extra damage.

The problem with all of this is that no matter what Trion does, it seems no one is happy. Too few Volge, we want more! Too many Volge, we want fewer of them! It's far easier to go around and avoid the Volge than it is to fight Volge that aren't there. So Trion actually has listened to both groups and dropped the numbers and then increased them.

Indra Echo
08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Have to agree there are too many Volge emergencies. I was doing a shooting retreat from one and ran into two more. Three emergencies worth of Troopers? Yer screwed, buddy.

I also agree they need to fix the clipping/phasing for the Elite Viscera. If I've positioned a truck between it and me, it's blur should not hit me and having it behind me shooting.

The Viscera only does that if there's room between you and the truck--he changes direction slightly. When he looks at you get tightly into cover. I used to get hit by that a lot but since I've closed the gap he doesn't hit me. And if you do get hit, roll and don't try and run or you're dead.

Ssdmiddleman
08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
I haven't really played Defiance too much lately, but from what I did play the Volge seem like a nice challenge.

GiantInMaine
08-15-2013, 11:22 PM
I haven't really played Defiance too much lately, but from what I did play the Volge seem like a nice challenge.

Yes they are just seems there are 10 volge emergencies per every 1 of any other type.

blujoker
08-15-2013, 11:34 PM
I don't mind the Volge emergencies. I do mind when you finish clearing one out, and start to move on or return 5 minutes later and it has plopped down the exact same Volge emergency. In one instance, I have seen, there was a Volge emergency on the edge of a small arkfall (part of a major arkfall) that was cleared twice during the course of the completing the small arkfall.

Though the number of Volge probably has more to do with the fact people are more likely to stop for the non-Volge ones then Volge ones. I like rescuing the supply caravans, but it is rare to see those.

Orbital
08-15-2013, 11:43 PM
I don't mind playing with friends and clan mates since they usually know what they are doing and help. But when random ego 300's show up at volge emergencies and stuff they just make it harder to complete. Plus they don't escape cut scenes and just generally slow stuff down, if it is there first run through ok about the cut secenes but it gets old when you've done that co-op 100s of times.

Deirachel
08-15-2013, 11:43 PM
The Viscera only does that if there's room between you and the truck--he changes direction slightly. When he looks at you get tightly into cover. I used to get hit by that a lot but since I've closed the gap he doesn't hit me. And if you do get hit, roll and don't try and run or you're dead.

I've tried that. If you are near the front or back of the vehicle, you still get hit. Only time I'm not hit is if I'm dead center on a "diaper" truck. The flatbed? Still get hit. And this is me crouched and hard against the side of the truck.

drackiller
08-16-2013, 06:29 AM
...and since I don't have orange everything (in fact only got my first one, a grenade at EGO 1254 but that's a gripe for another time) I have to constantly avoid them...
Believe me when i say that colors have no meaning in the outcome of battles in PVE.
Beating the VOLGE is all about tactics, nothing to do with the color of your weapon.
Shoot one at the time, hide, shoot them again, try to aim to the head, they get staggered. Use fast weapons, like VBI AR or SMG`s or a SAW, with overcharge does wonders.
And i`m not calling you a bad player, cause i consider my self bad, you just need to reavaluate the way you fight them.
They are tough, but quite doable.
And about colors again, everytime i get an orange weapon i sell it, they are crap most of the times. My loadouts are comprised with white, green, blue and purple stuff.
If your feeling overwhelmed by the Volge, avoid them :)

Awesome Jeff
08-16-2013, 06:33 AM
Put on a high cap shield, like ironclad, use a weapon with a high firerate and Syphon. I myself prefer a VBI Assault Rifle and have next to no trouble taking out a "The Volge Await" emergency in under two minutes.

Equip "Insult to injury" as a perk for increased chance of syphon procing and don't stop shooting!

Oh, and when you see the Vicera start charging or ready to ram you, do a few rolls to your side. Works almost every time.

Indra Echo
08-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I've tried that. If you are near the front or back of the vehicle, you still get hit. Only time I'm not hit is if I'm dead center on a "diaper" truck. The flatbed? Still get hit. And this is me crouched and hard against the side of the truck.

Hmm, pretty odd since this hasn't been happening for me. I believe you, it's just my experience has been different.

I actually like to go to the flatbed and shoot at him with my Canker. He can't get me when I'm behind it unless he shoots at me. Perhaps it's also a bit of timing-I do know that there's fine line between when it's the right time to get out of his way and too late. That being said, cover behind the trucks is your best bet. The only other situation that works for me, and this is all related to the weapon in use, for all the Volge is getting up high somewhere where it's difficult for them to climb. In places, they will go around but if you get to that high place before attacking, quite often they attempt to come at you head on and can't climb up. If you attack and then get them to start following you up, they will keep following you and go around.

The best place to really "learn" the Volge is in front of Iron Demon Ranch. Other emergencies do spawn there as well but it's often the Volge. The one that spawns there is also usually the one with the turrets and fallen allies. You will notice them attacking the turrets. Don't attack them until you're up close--but other players might already be attacking so then you can help. If no one is, get up close, revive the allies, then get to your shooting position-cover or for sniping, up high on the hill by the Iron Demon ammo box. Great place for Immunizer use as well.

If you're using some other weapon get behind a truck and try to keep them where both you and the turrets can shoot at them.

I won't insult anyone by saying they're super easy but they can be made easier. I can still get killed by them and have to extract, but with some observation, practice, and understanding it's possible to take them down with just about any weapon/EGO/perk combination. Some work faster than others.

The other thing to remember is that if you are with other players, the person doing the most damage will get targeted by all foes. So if you're really doing some damage to the Viscera, he will aim for you. Nothing personal-it's actually a good sign that you're doing something right.

Slyfox2001
08-16-2013, 06:45 AM
You must suck, I mop up volge all the time

Indra Echo
08-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Put on a high cap shield, like ironclad, use a weapon with a high firerate and Syphon. I myself prefer a VBI Assault Rifle and have next to no trouble taking out a "The Volge Await" emergency in under two minutes.

Equip "Insult to injury" as a perk for increased chance of syphon procing and don't stop shooting!

Oh, and when you see the Vicera start charging or ready to ram you, do a few rolls to your side. Works almost every time.

Well, shields are almost useless for me, except as some minor delay to damage. The Volge can take any shield down very quickly so for some a fast recharging shield can be more important. It depends on your play style. No matter what it's still about cover and yes about rolling too.

The key is to shoot and know when to stop shooting and take cover. This is the case no matter what build you use. People tend to think that they can just stand there and keep shooting and kill them, but there are very few instances where this works with the Volge.

The build I have used most often for the quickest effect, is a Syphon Saw (blue, purple, whatever), a Canker, infector grenade, overcharge and perks related to keeping my ammo up. I have the one for the stowed weapon to reload over time and others related to this, and I have the hipfire crit damage one and other things related to extending the time for Overcharge and reducing the recharge time.

I get in behind a truck, throw an infector grenade, use overcharge, shoot with the SAW, then hide, go around, shoot with the Canker and so on. The bugs do a lot of damage, keep them distracted, and the SAW/overcharge can do a lot of damage as well as taking down their shields quickly. I do have a regen shield that has a long recharge delay but as I said my experience is that shields don't help that much-taking cover is far more important.

drackiller
08-16-2013, 06:57 AM

Completely unnecessary comment above...

Well i can do a Volge emergencie alone and finish it without dying , and i can also do them and need to extract 3 or 4 times.

So, or i must be very good, or i can suck alot in this game.

Indra Echo
08-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Ignore this. This is a really juvenile attitude. Everyone has different abilities, so this idea that because I can do it easily and you can't, you must suck is really stupid. People can learn how to get better at fighting foes in a video game, but it's darn near impossible for some to unlearn this kind of thing-you have to want to change.

Indra Echo
08-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Completely unnecessary comment above...

Well i can do a Volge emergencie alone and finish it without dying , and i can also do them and need to extract 3 or 4 times.

So, or i must be very good, or i can suck alot in this game.

Yeah, I both excel and suck all the time in the game.

Slyfox2001
08-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Ignore this. This is a really juvenile attitude. Everyone has different abilities, so this idea that because I can do it easily and you can't, you must suck is really stupid. People can learn how to get better at fighting foes in a video game, but it's darn near impossible for some to unlearn this kind of thing-you have to want to change.

Oh my gosh, guys... You and drackiller... c'mon. Tryin' to have some fun here! Read the OP's first post. He says, "Can't wait for the first, 'You must suck, I mop up volge all the time' response."

Nobody else did it, so I was having some sarcastic fun! Geez! Either you guys don't have the same sense of humor that I do, are really annoyed by most people on this forum and therefore jump to conclusions, or didn't read the first post (or some other scenario, but c'mon, we all know it's the second one)... Lighten up, it's FRIDAY! :D

Personally though, I love the Volge. If I'm by myself, sometimes I will try them head on just to see what I can/can't do. Usually though, I just drive around them. I like that they are there to mix things up. I do think the game is far too easy without them interfering with my character every now and then.

Hope499
08-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Drive around them....?

lol, not sure I understand the problem here, didn't want to read a wall of text for another Volge complaint.....

I tell ya, between NIM and the volge...its like, ALMOST as difficult as Disney's a Bee adventure...rough times

Indra Echo
08-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Oh my gosh, guys... You and drackiller... c'mon. Tryin' to have some fun here! Read the OP's first post. He says, "Can't wait for the first, 'You must suck, I mop up volge all the time' response."

Nobody else did it, so I was having some sarcastic fun! Geez! Either you guys don't have the same sense of humor that I do, are really annoyed by most people on this forum and therefore jump to conclusions, or didn't read the first post (or some other scenario, but c'mon, we all know it's the second one)... Lighten up, it's FRIDAY! :D

Personally though, I love the Volge. If I'm by myself, sometimes I will try them head on just to see what I can/can't do. Usually though, I just drive around them. I like that they are there to mix things up. I do think the game is far too easy without them interfering with my character every now and then.

Ok might help to put a smiley near it. Sorry for thinking the worst, but such is the state of gaming these days and there have been so many people saying just such a thing seriously. Even people asking for how to do something have been told they're too dumb to play the game if they don't know how themselves. This happens in a lot of games.

Again, apologies for thinking that was serious, but when you're deep into a thread sometimes some parts of an OP can get lost. I don't re-read OPs unless I need to quote a certain point or refresh my memory. We read the first post, but didn't commit it to memory word for word.

And just so you know, I've had some similar things happen to me-forgot to add the (sarcasm) to a post and I've been called out for my attitude. It's too easy to write something you're thinking and not realize others don't know what you were originally thinking.

Indra Echo
08-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Drive around them....?

lol, not sure I understand the problem here, didn't want to read a wall of text for another Volge complaint.....

I tell ya, between NIM and the volge...its like, ALMOST as difficult as Disney's a Bee adventure...rough times

Ok, again--some people need to be respectfully told how to handle things. And people have opinions. Consider the Monarchs at time trials--they were everywhere and made them almost unplayable. When I did Mine Alley, I literally had 6 Monarchs that I had to get rid of along the way that kept hovering by the gates. After I'd finally gotten rid of all of them and had a great run going, was near the end, the game decided to plop an arkfall on my head. Try again, and near the end, 2 mutant POW hunters.

What is happening is that many are finding it difficult to avoid them for certain situations. They might be near a hotshot point or a mission point or in the middle of a time trial.

What people do have to do is drive more slowly, don't aggro them unless you want to fight them, and if you don't want to fight them do drive around them. Otherwise, get help in fighting them or try and learn how to counter them, and get some good loot to use or scrap.

drackiller
08-16-2013, 07:42 AM

I will not apologise, i thought i was very neutral in my response :( :)
The problem is that some people may feel discouraged when someone says that he sucks, whatever he may sucks it`s another question :)
No i`m not mad or annoyed with anyone, it`s my way of writing and my sense of humor varies from having or not having beer.
Now i have beer :)

Slyfox2001
08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Ok might help to put a smiley near it. Sorry for thinking the worst, but such is the state of gaming these days and there have been so many people saying just such a thing seriously. Even people asking for how to do something have been told they're too dumb to play the game if they don't know how themselves. This happens in a lot of games.

Again, apologies for thinking that was serious, but when you're deep into a thread sometimes some parts of an OP can get lost. I don't re-read OPs unless I need to quote a certain point or refresh my memory. We read the first post, but didn't commit it to memory word for word.

And just so you know, I've had some similar things happen to me-forgot to add the (sarcasm) to a post and I've been called out for my attitude. It's too easy to write something you're thinking and not realize others don't know what you were originally thinking.

Apologies not needed! I know, I figured it was because of a-holes on here. Sometimes its just more fun to NOT put the smiley near it... that's a dead giveaway for sarcasm (or condescension). No harm, no fowl (chicken?). A sarcasm font would be pretty cool though. I try and read everyone's posts as if they are being funny/sarcastic. Really makes the a-hole posts come into a new light where I can chuckle a little and not get pissed at people saying stupid things.

Slyfox2001
08-16-2013, 07:50 AM
I will not apologise, i thought i was very neutral in my response :( :)
The problem is that some people may feel discouraged when someone says that he sucks, whatever he may sucks it`s another question :)
No i`m not mad or annoyed with anyone, it`s my way of writing and my sense of humor varies from having or not having beer.
Now i have beer :)

Not asking for an apology, at all. But I think you might want to know that you made me cry a little... almost to the point of cutting myself to let the sorrow out. :(

Hope499
08-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Ok, again--some people need to be respectfully told how to handle things. And people have opinions. Consider the Monarchs at time trials--they were everywhere and made them almost unplayable. When I did Mine Alley, I literally had 6 Monarchs that I had to get rid of along the way that kept hovering by the gates. After I'd finally gotten rid of all of them and had a great run going, was near the end, the game decided to plop an arkfall on my head. Try again, and near the end, 2 mutant POW hunters.

What is happening is that many are finding it difficult to avoid them for certain situations. They might be near a hotshot point or a mission point or in the middle of a time trial.

What people do have to do is drive more slowly, don't aggro them unless you want to fight them, and if you don't want to fight them do drive around them. Otherwise, get help in fighting them or try and learn how to counter them, and get some good loot to use or scrap.

Ya fair enough. The Volge aint easy, and it can take some time to get a handle on things...

All the "Nim is TOO HARD" threads have left me bitter......

>:(

drackiller
08-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Not asking for an apology, at all. But I think you might want to know that you made me cry a little... almost to the point of cutting myself to let the sorrow out. :(

Sorry m8, didn`t want to hurt your feelings :(
Have a beer with me ;)

Slyfox2001
08-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Sorry m8, didn`t want to hurt your feelings :(
Have a beer with me ;)

CuRsEs! I still have another 6 hours of work!!! Portugal, eh? I've been to Lisbon... when I was there, I swear there wasn't an elderly woman in sight. They also had this phenomenal beer... something to do with the sun... any clues? Like "Sol," but not... it's been plaguing me for years.

Kyosji
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
I've noticed that nearly 80% of the world events I pass seem to be Volge, but I really don't mind. I'm a level 930, and I actually enjoy fighting these things. As others have stated, the elite unit is the easiest of the crop, and you can usually take them down within a minute and not taking any damage. The bomber is easy, but not if you have standard Volge units around. The basic Volge are a pain in the arse. Their accuracy is ridiculous, and their damage output with that burst of accuracy is killer. Their fine when you have a good amount of obstructions around, but if it's a flat surface? I just pass them.

I enjoy soloing these events because 90% of the time a blue weapon drops from the elite.

Only issue I have is that in the last few days I've noticed them bugging out. In the beginning of my assault, when I fire on the 2-3 basic Volge, the even sometimes resets and throws out 2-3 MORE standard Volge. I've also started noticing that the elite Volge animations are not matching their firing. Usually you can anticipate what direction they will fire by moving out of their straight view path while you see their weapon charge. Same with when they do that hyper dash. Lately when I avoid their direction, I will see their energy bolt shoot at a 45 degree angle out of their weapon. It's obviously not supposed to do that, you can tell just by how odd it looks. The dash will also change direction on you as well.

drackiller
08-16-2013, 09:21 AM
CuRsEs! I still have another 6 hours of work!!! Portugal, eh? I've been to Lisbon... when I was there, I swear there wasn't an elderly woman in sight. They also had this phenomenal beer... something to do with the sun... any clues? Like "Sol," but not... it's been plaguing me for years.
LOL, Sol=Sun
Beer we have lots of them: SuperBock and Sagres are the most drinked among national brands.
And yes, portuguese women are...well it`s the sun :)

I`m from Porto by the way. This country has lots of good stuff, pitty the politicians are incompetent and corrupt.