PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on charge blades

Tekrunner
08-16-2013, 03:08 AM
So, after being initially disappointed by charge blades, I decided to give them a more serious go. I respecced and went for a full melee build: blur + as much melee and movement speed bonus as I could. I then did several minor arkfalls, most solo, a couple with other people. Here are the resulting observations.

Charge blades are by far the most perk- and ego power-dependent weapon in the game. When used with anything else than blur, they're just meh. But with blur and the right perks, they let you put some pretty serious hurt on single targets. The jump attack also deals some good splash damage, but its radius is pretty small, so enemies have to packed really tightly and you have to stand right in the middle for it to be efficient.

That's not to say that these blades are that easy to use though, especially when playing solo. You obviously can't take cover easily, so your life will go down pretty fast when all the enemies are targeting you. I lasted a lot longer when someone else was around to draw enemy fire. They also make enemies stumble a lot, so Intimidation is not just good for you, but also for people playing with you.

There's also a bit of a learning curve, as the controls are maybe not quite perfect. At first I was slashing the air a lot and I could never make the jump attack happen when I wanted it to, but after ~1 hour I was doing better.

I have a suggestion for Trion though: please make the screen a little less jerky when you're attacking with the blade. The camera jumps all over the place when you're hitting something, and while that adds some immersion, I feel like the effect is a little too pronounced and ends up making things confusing.

Also, I found what I'm pretty sure is a bug. From certain angles it is possible to crit arkfall crystals, which does much more damage than a regular attack. The screenshot below shows me hitting a crystal for 900+ damage per strike, which made it a good strategy to just slash it over and over (without blur and the associated +60% melee damage I was hitting for 500+, whereas a non-critical hit would just do about 100 damage).
http://i42.tinypic.com/28qqoer.jpg

Ah, and a final word: don't use them in Volge sieges. I tried, and the experiment didn't last very long D:

Yewa
08-16-2013, 07:41 AM
They should make the camera more "lazy" so to speak when using charge blades. I also noticed that charge blades can hit through certain walls on ruined buildings and that theres a little teleport when you are within a certain range from the enemy you are going to attack, you actually fast forward to him in a situation that you would normally not hit him.

blujoker
08-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Also, I found what I'm pretty sure is a bug. From certain angles it is possible to crit arkfall crystals, which does much more damage than a regular attack. The screenshot below shows me hitting a crystal for 900+ damage per strike, which made it a good strategy to just slash it over and over (without blur and the associated +60% melee damage I was hitting for 500+, whereas a non-critical hit would just do about 100 damage).

Well I noticed this with a charge pistol and scrapper ark fall destruction, apparently the little red lines aren't totally decoration, though moving up or down a few dozen pixels changed the damage and the spot you had to hit would change slowly over time moving up and down. So, clarification from the powers that be, would be appreciated. Oh, and was right on top of the conductors and core, melee range close.

Dracian
08-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I am preparing vids about blades so that you can see how it is in game... More soon :)

N7_Legion
08-16-2013, 11:40 AM
If you do a jump attack on a Monarch (when its crit spots aren't exposed) - and at the right angle - you can get crit hits on its belly. With the blue charge blade from the vendor, I was able to get crits of 909 on the Monarchs belly while it was running around attacking people.

Arsenic_Touch
08-16-2013, 11:42 AM
If you do a jump attack on a Monarch (when its crit spots aren't exposed) - and at the right angle - you can get crit hits on its belly. With the blue charge blade from the vendor, I was able to get crits of 909 on the Monarchs belly while it was running around attacking people.

Much easier to just lob a full clip from a ground pounder with a mag extension. Pretty much one shots monarchs when you're by yourself and about 1/4th their health bar when around other players.

Dracian
08-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Much easier to just lob a full clip from a ground pounder with a mag extension. Pretty much one shots monarchs when you're buy yourself and about 1/4th their health bar when around other players.

This.

I can assure you that using a charge blade against Hellbugs is particularly ineffective (as well as being dangerous)... Same goes for Scrappers and Volges.

N7_Legion
08-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Much easier to just lob a full clip from a ground pounder with a mag extension. Pretty much one shots monarchs when you're buy yourself and about 1/4th their health bar when around other players.

This is very true.

They should make the camera more "lazy" so to speak when using charge blades. I also noticed that charge blades can hit through certain walls on ruined buildings and that theres a little teleport when you are within a certain range from the enemy you are going to attack, you actually fast forward to him in a situation that you would normally not hit him.

Yes I noticed this as well. Like when trying to slash an enemy who is behind a short barricade, you would sometimes just teleport right over the barricade and hit the target.

Rigir
08-16-2013, 02:00 PM
theres a little teleport when you are within a certain range from the enemy you are going to attack, you actually fast forward to him in a situation that you would normally not hit him.
That's lunging ^_^. It's necessary in order for melee to be viable in pvp. If you've ever tried to use melee on live servers, you would see that more often.

Anthalus
08-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Been having some fun playing with these but have noticed a couple of things that would be nice to change a bit, The charge attacks should slow you significantly but not stop you entirely as if your target moves even a little its then out of range and you are massively exposed, perhaps reduce movement speed to 33-50% while charging would work as you can happily move around normally charging any of the ranged weapons. I also found the single slash attack to be a pain on occasion as it locked you into a series of attacks (with multiple button presses) that stop you from changing direction or even switching to a charge attack, have not had chance to se if you can roll out of a series of attacks but it would be nice to be able to cancel them, I do Kendo and slash style attacks are not hard to halt or modify. Other than these minor points I find them enjoyable to play with.