PDA

View Full Version : Recap : The Dark Matter Arkfalls (videos, tips and feedback)

Dracian
08-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Hey everyone !

Just as I did for the Volge Sieges, here's a "little" recap about the second big addition of the Castithan DLC : the Dark Matter Arkfalls.

I - General infos and tips :

Dark Matter Arkfalls don't seem to differ from other Arkfalls regarding the probability of appearance in the Bay Area. However, DM Arkfalls sill never appear in Mount Tam (which can be a good thing since Mount Tam has a higher concentration of rookie players)
There are 3 types of Minor Dark Matter Arkfalls : Mayhem, Extractors and Obliteration, the two first ones being "Extermination" Arkfalls, the latter being a "Destruction" Arkfall.
There is only one type of Major Dark Matter Arkfall : Extraction Force. The first part is composed of five Obliteration Arkfalls. The world boss is the dreaded Monolith.
All Dark Matter Arkfalls grant increased rewards : Minor ones will grant you more experience points and Scrip, while Major ones can give you 6 keys, 4 items, and increased XP and Scrip. Note that like Sieges, Legendaries can be rewarded at the end of Major DM Arkfalls.
All Dark Matter Arkfalls (except the Mayhem one) feature a new bonus : the EGO Boost. When triggered that boost grants for 10 seconds a massive increase of weapon DMG (x4), ROF (somewhere around +50%), Reload Speed (same as Overload), Walk/Run Speed (between +50% and +75%). It also seems to give a huge damage reduction, but this is yet to be confirmed.
EGO boosts are available on the consoles surrounding the Arkfall's Cores for a short amout of time. As you'll see in the videos, you'll sometimes see a green ray of light between the Core and the console : this is the signal that an EGO boost is transfered on that console. Once the transfert stops, simply use the console to activate the boost.
Note that the boost's activation has an AoE of around 1-2 meters radius : everyone within that AoE will benefit from the boost... Including enemies. And believe me, an EGO boosted Elite Dark Matter Bulwark is something you don't want to fight. (http://youtu.be/7HeuA6bmH6k?t=7m39s)
Note also that enemies can activate EGO boosts for themselves. Enemies with an EGO boost will benefit from the exact same bonuses as players with an additionnal one : 0s delay on their shield recharge. So to say, they become almost invicible for non EGO boosted players (subliminal message : run for your life !)
Since boosts take some time to become once again available after being activated, they shouldn't be used if no enemy is in sight (especially against the Monolith where you really need those to efficiently damage it)
Just like Volge Sieges, Dark Matter Arkfalls are serious business : they are not really meant to level up underpowered weapons.
Dark Matter Snipers can decimate a small group of Arkhunters. Beware of them ! (Personnaly, they are my top priority targets)

II - Dark Matter Mayhem :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MF6wncKug

First of the Minor DM Arkfalls, the Dark Matter Mayhem is basically a regular Extermination-type Arkfall with a little addition : approximately every minute, a DM Sniper will try to place a Portal in order to bring more Dark Matter reinforcements to the Arkfall. If he succeed Elite Enforcers will pop from the portal... Thus increasing the difficulty of the Arkfall. To make these reinforcements stop, you'll only have to destroy the portal (it's not really durable).

Aside from that, there's not much to say. Kill in priority Snipers and Bulwarks and everything should be fine.

Indicative waves' composition (non-exhaustive, I've never had a 5th wave so far). Special Snipers are the ones that will try to install the Portal and the likeliness to get Elites in the first waves may be tied to the probability to get bonus waves :

- Wave 1 : Special Snipers and Enforcers (with possible Elites)

- Wave 2 : Special Snipers, Enforcers and Monitors (with possible Elites for both)

- Wave 3 : Special Snipers, Elite Snipers, Elite Enforcers and Elite Bulwarks
That composition only appears if there is at least an other wave after.

- Last Wave : Special Snipers, Enforcers and Monitors (with possible Elites for both)
May appear as 3rd or 4th wave, and probably 5th too

III - Dark Matter Extractors :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkm088sGyU
Other vids : here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT1y0GjmajA) and there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFr_peGkBM).

Second Minor DM Arkfall, the Dark Matter Extractors will propose you a similar scenario to the Dark Matter Mayhem, with the difference that, here, there will be no Special Sniper who'll try to place portal. However, here, you (and your enemies) will have access to the EGO boosts. So be sure to be the first to get them.

Aside from that, it's simple : it's an Extermination Arkfall, so kill every enemy.

Indicative waves' composition (non-exhaustive, I've never had a 5th wave here too). Here again, the likeliness to get Elites in the first waves may be tied to the probability to get bonus waves :

- Wave 1 : 3 Snipers and Enforcers (with possible Elites)

- Wave 2 : Enforcers and Monitors (with possible Elites for both)

- Wave 3 : Elite Snipers, Elite Enforcers and Elite Bulwarks
That composition only appears if there is at least an other wave after.

- Last Wave : Enforcers and Monitors (with possible Elites for both)
May appear as 3rd or 4th wave, and probably 5th too

IV - Dark Matter Obliteration :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErI59vCq-vU

Third Minor DM Arkfall, the Dark Matter Obliteration is a Destruction scenario Arkfall were you'll have to destroy the Core in order to win. Like in Dark Matter Extractors, you and your enemies will have access to the EGO boosts.

That Arkfall is perhaps the most difficult to complete in solo : you have to carefully time the EGO boosts in order to prevent enemies to get them, while shooting at the Cristal when EGO boosted. Dodge bullets and you'll be OK... See what I mean ? In larger groups, however, it's more manageable with people dealing with the enemies and other focusing on the Core.

Note about the EGO boost : while it can be an impressive bonus when dealing with enemies, the huge DMG bonus it gives is, I think, best used against the Core itself (The x4 DMG bonus "negates" the 75% Core's armor DR). Other thing about it : people should refrain from using it between waves. It takes 30 seconds to be once again available, and that's a pretty long amount of time in-game, especially when having to deal with a full Elite DM squad.

V - Dark Matter Extraction Force :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HeuA6bmH6k

Warning ! This footage was made pre-1.01 patch (Monolith's fight is shorter now)

Everyone was waiting for it : a Major Dark Matter Arkfall were you fight against the Monolith at the end. So here it is.

First part of the Arkfall : 5 Dark Matter Obliteration to complete. Not much to say there : these are the exact replicas of the Minor version. Destroy the Core, use EGO boosts, hold against Dark Matter troops. Simple.

Second part of the Arkfall : the Monolith. Now we're talking ! The fight against the Monolith is a pretty tough and long one. Here's the sequence of events that will happen (in that order)

1. Clear the area of hostiles.
2. Once the area cleared, the Monolith appears.
3. Dodge its rockets, shoot him, etc... This is during that phase that the Monolith is vulnerable.
4. Monolith jumps in the air.
5. DM reinforcements arrive while the Monolith (still in the air) start shooting Incendiary rockets everywhere.
7. Dark Matter reinforcements arrive again while Monolith disappears.
8. Repeat from 1.

Pretty simple, huh ? Dark Matter enemies range from the regular trooper to Enforcers and Snipers (with Elites versions). To my knowledge, there are no Bulwarks. Now, what do you need to do in order to destroy the Monolith ?

1. First, you'll have to destroy the Armor Hardpoints on its knees.
2. These Hardpoints are protecting Motivators that you'll need to destroy too to make the Monolith stumble
3. Once the Monolith on the ground, shoot the Tachmag Reactor located in its neck.
4. Once the Tachmag Reactor destroy, the Monolith falls once and for all on the ground and explodes, dead.

That seems pretty long but there are some shortcuts, especially regarding the "Destroy Armor Hardpoints" and "Destroy Motivators" phases : in reality, you only need to destroy one of them in order to make the Monolith stumble, not all of them... See what I mean ? If everyone focus on the same knee, that fight may be shortened a lot !

Oh, and I forgot but here too you'll have EGO boosts (remember : don't use them if there are no enemies)

Once the Monolith dead, discover your rewards : up to 6 Keys, 11139 XP, 550 Scrip and a lockbox knowing that you can get a Legendary Item in it (according to some players the Lockbox contains 4 items, I can't confirm, though, I didn't have the pop-ups) !

While being less challenging than the Volge Sieges, Dark Matter Arkfalls are nontheless more difficult than any other Arkfall, and with increased rewards, I have absolutely no doubt they'll become popular and appreciated by most the player base.

Personnaly, I already enjoy them. Still have to check if the combat lenght against the Monolith has been reduced, though (because pre-patch, it was definitely too long... Not too difficult, but too long, with too much downtime).

Cya guys !

Salter
08-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks Dracian for the info on this thread and the other. I think u have made me more excited for this Dlc in two threads than Trion has in 4 months..well done sir for the time and effort involved.

Tekrunner
08-16-2013, 06:38 AM
While being less challenging than the Volge Sieges, Dark Matter Arkfalls are nontheless more difficult than any other Arkfall, and with increased rewards, I have absolutely no doubt they'll become popular and appreciated by most the player base.

Don't know about that, DM Obliterations are pretty challenging too! That wave with elite snipers everywhere and constantly spawning elite bulwarks and monitors is just nasty.

Dracian
08-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Don't know about that, DM Obliterations are pretty challenging too! That wave with elite snipers everywhere and constantly spawning elite bulwarks and monitors is just nasty.

That's true, Obliterations in solo or duo are quite challenging too (and that wave is just OMG, I agree). Now... Is it nastier than the 14 Volge Troopers spawn ? Or the 4 Elite Viscerae spawn ? Or the i-Prod (Infinite Pink Rain Of Death) ?