PDA

View Full Version : "Classes" other then DPS

Rabid Cat
03-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Do you think we will ever see more job specific classes in Defiance? The beta sure felt like everyone was exactly the same... I like shooters, and I enjoy traditional MMOs, I was just hoping to see more traditional MMO aspects, crossed over into a shooter.

RawrKitty
03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Do you think we will ever see more job specific classes in Defiance? The beta sure felt like everyone was exactly the same... I like shooters, and I enjoy traditional MMOs, I was just hoping to see more traditional MMO aspects, crossed over into a shooter.

id prefer to see it more like guild wars.

its a shooter..

in guild wars every class can support or tank but always deal damage and never are dedicated healers etc.

gw is bad, but that system was decent and its a fairly good system to merge your standard mmo role concepts with a plausable shooter enviorment

Solid Fox18
my toon will be dps then my second will be tank/heals

spectrum
possibley the Sci-Fi t.v. series will reflect upon the game as ark tech is more defined and explored and possibley other alien encounters will reflect to the game.

FantasyMeister
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
There are a lot of perks geared towards pure healers, and those healing weapons probably take a lot of determination to level up, so there's nothing to stop you creating something along the lines of a group healer or a main tank (there are perks for that role too).

However, because of the loadout system in the game, there's also nothing to stop you having a dedicated 'class' assigned to each loadout and switching as necessary to meet the needs of your current group.

Personally I solo a lot so I'm looking at being a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Rabid Cat
03-31-2013, 11:49 AM
In DCUO, every class had options. You could DPS or Tank, you could DPS or heal, and so on... I would like to see something like that. Most MMOs have tons of DPS available, because people like to show off big numbers, I just want to see some supporting classes, to be able to add individuality to our characters.

Mladenov
03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Okay Rabid Cat, we will leave you eat all the bullets then, happy now?

Rabid Cat
03-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Okay Rabid Cat, we will leave you eat all the bullets then, happy now?
LOL... you know what im saying.

RawrKitty
03-31-2013, 11:54 AM
In DCUO, every class had options. You could DPS or Tank, you could DPS or heal, and so on... I would like to see something like that. Most MMOs have tons of DPS available, because people like to show off big numbers, I just want to see some supporting classes, to be able to add individuality to our characters.

adding individuality is good. banking on individuality is bad to a game breaking extent.

the new mmorpg neverwinter has done a birlliant job scaling mobs and dungeons to an extend that allows groups of 5 dps or or mulitple healers etc. to completle them effectively.

if you design a game that has indivudality like you want, then you don't draw the line there, and expect tanks and healers for your group content, you're going to run into the annoying problem that most mmorpgs have, forcing players into a role they dont want, or causing an over abundance of one style of play...

the thought of seeing people looking for tanks and healers for dungeons on a shooter just makes me cringe... hell i dont even think there should be a threat system in this game, i really don't, id rather the group play scenarios take a feel of an op team. roles and diversity is great, but dont add in traditional mmorpg roles.. yuck.

lPATT
03-31-2013, 11:54 AM
There are a lot of perks geared towards pure healers, and those healing weapons probably take a lot of determination to level up, so there's nothing to stop you creating something along the lines of a group healer or a main tank (there are perks for that role too).

However, because of the loadout system in the game, there's also nothing to stop you having a dedicated 'class' assigned to each loadout and switching as necessary to meet the needs of your current group.

Personally I solo a lot so I'm looking at being a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

exactly . the loadout allow you to have different class for your toon . personally i will have pvp/loot/medic/vehicle/ and another loadout i got no idea of =P

Pain
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Hopefully people get creative and create these sort of builds.

Figma
03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
No i dont think we will and i hope so too. Like the devs said its a shooter and people dont want to get stuck on one class for hundreds of hours without able to which class depending on situation, so its better that everyone is on egual position.

LadyChaos
03-31-2013, 12:12 PM
this allows much more play your style, rather than "my guild needs a Healer even though I want to be deeps so I I want to raid I must re-roll and learn 2 heal..."
GW very similar for sure. Rift even brought a lot of the cross archetype mixing into it with the soul system even though you were still locked into a major archtype like caster/melee etc even if you could swap from tank to heal to deeps at a click of a macro.

Corun
03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
GW games are boring button-mashing NCSoft clones that have no content or depth(definitely no TV series either, lol.). Which is why I am glad this game is anything but like GW2 specifically.

MMandevil
03-31-2013, 12:21 PM
id prefer to see it more like guild wars.

its a shooter..

in guild wars every class can support or tank but always deal damage and never are dedicated healers etc.

gw is bad, but that system was decent and its a fairly good system to merge your standard mmo role concepts with a plausable shooter enviorment

1 This is not guild wars
2 ????
3 jk bout #2
4 This is not Guild wars.

iChinglish
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't see it in the form of tank, healer and dps...

I see it in terms of close range fighter, medium range fighter, long range fighter, combat medic and "that 'splosives guy". It's a shooter, not an RPG.

Avenger
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
The devs have already said that the choice of race is purely cosmetic, and the choice of class only changes your initial outfit and starting weapons, so there is no real "this is what we intended for this type of character". If you want to take a Scavenger and make them a sniper that's great, but they are just as viable playing support / tank / melee - all down to how you spend your EGO points.

The loadout options can to some extent let you flip between roles with one maybe setup for long range, another for close range, another for healing.

MMandevil
03-31-2013, 12:47 PM
The devs have already said that the choice of race is purely cosmetic, and the choice of class only changes your initial outfit and starting weapons, so there is no real "this is what we intended for this type of character". If you want to take a Scavenger and make them a sniper that's great, but they are just as viable playing support / tank / melee - all down to how you spend your EGO points.

The loadout options can to some extent let you flip between roles with one maybe setup for long range, another for close range, another for healing.

To help the slower people, This is not Wow this is not Blops2 this is not Everquest, This is not Neverwinter. This is not an FPS, This is not an MMORPG, every game these people have tried to compair it to is not in the catagory, This IS an MMOTPS, and it is unique.

What the Devs are saying is that you can be a long range sniper with a shotgun loadout for when you have to get close, just one example of many.

Psyqhical
03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
There are no "classes" in this game cause you can simple dodge out of danger and your health regenerates on the fly.

iChinglish
03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
To help the slower people, This is not Wow this is not Blops2 this is not Everquest, This is not Neverwinter. This is not an FPS, This is not an MMORPG, every game these people have tried to compair it to is not in the catagory, This IS an MMOTPS, and it is unique.

Well actually... Fallen Earth was an MMOTPS first :P

Too bad it was really, really slow and rough around the edges (REALLY rough around the edges...) and had a subscription model.

kirix
03-31-2013, 12:54 PM
like alot of games along time ago used to be

a point and click adventure :D

nowadays its aim and shoot adventure.

set roles or classes leads to imballance. 1 is more powerfull then 3 others 1 is the worst of them all. 1 becomes the most played and another gathers dust.

now the only issue with GW2 is no 1 had any real longterm goals or reasons to do dungeons as u cap fast and get gear a few hours after capping

Bluegobln
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
I don't see it in the form of tank, healer and dps...

I see it in terms of close range fighter, medium range fighter, long range fighter, combat medic and "that 'splosives guy". It's a shooter, not an RPG.This. THIS SO MUCH. <3 <3 <3

If this game ends up having "classes" I will quit. Similarly, if this game ends up having gear requirements... as in I can't possibly accomplish X or Y event / battle without a weapon of a certain quality or above (or worse yet, level), I will probably quit.

There are things this game is doing that no other game currently does. If they eliminate those things then I will go back to not playing MMO's again.

For the people who differ in preference to myself, can you please go play a different game? There are TONS of other options that offer similar things to this, but there is almost nothing that offers THIS EXACT THING. Its very very frustrating to see people trying to change a game into something else because... I dont know, maybe they think every game should be uniquely tailored to their exact preference. Please just leave it alone, this game will be great as is.

caster
03-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Well during the beta i got some rare guns that gave some classes bonus stats. I think that is the only reason for classes.

MMandevil
03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
This. THIS SO MUCH. <3 <3 <3

If this game ends up having "classes" I will quit. Similarly, if this game ends up having gear requirements... as in I can't possibly accomplish X or Y event / battle without a weapon of a certain quality or above (or worse yet, level), I will probably quit.

There are things this game is doing that no other game currently does. If they eliminate those things then I will go back to not playing MMO's again.

For the people who differ in preference to myself, can you please go play a different game? There are TONS of other options that offer similar things to this, but there is almost nothing that offers THIS EXACT THING. Its very very frustrating to see people trying to change a game into something else because... I dont know, maybe they think every game should be uniquely tailored to their exact preference. Please just leave it alone, this game will be great as is.

Well obviously you won't be "level 1" ish type thing seeing as how they word it. you can't solo a ark or a high end mob... so yes you will need a certain "level" to kill things.

Moose Of Woe
03-31-2013, 01:58 PM
TL/DR = every player is by default a dps class and more than capable of soloing anything. However, the ego powers lend a bit of versatility to how you can play. Over the top damage multipliers, speed, extra health bar, etc.

The closest things to different classes we have are the four ego powers.

DPS+Tank = Decoy. It's the closest thing to a tank class with the bonus decoy HP pool. Decoy also gets early access to many defensive perks. As an added bonus, it helps to nullify cloak.

Insane DPS A = Cloak. I'm fairly sure cloak is able to have the most stacked damage bonuses, even moreso than overcharge. (Debateable) Not the mention the added bonus you're invisible. Essentially a rogue class.

Insane DPS B =Overcharge. Fairly sure the DPS from overcharge lasts longer than "under cloak" bonuses, but the damage per shot isn't as high. You also get a free reload, so you're able to deal out more damage over a longer period of time. Basically a soldier class. Whereas cloak is offset by decoy, this has no hard counter.

DPS+Agility = Blur. With essentially a get out of jail free card, as long as you don't get one shot KO'd or poop shoed you can get out of almost any situation. Sort of like a thief/assassin class with the bonus of having great CQC bonuses.

Arinzal
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Just so you guys all get this one more time and for the Final time. There isn't any Classes what so ever.