PDA

View Full Version : no beta testing?

NomadPhx
08-16-2013, 10:16 PM
dont games and such usually go through alpha and beta testing before its approved? im all for the dlc to be out now, but not if the servers are down for days because of it. i just hope the forum onslaughts haven't influenced trion to jump the gun on the release...

Pyth
08-16-2013, 11:17 PM
What are you talking about? This game is still in Beta.

How much more beta do you want?

Gomly
08-17-2013, 12:47 AM
The dlc has been on the test server for a good week or so now.

Iceberg
08-17-2013, 12:50 AM

And we have an Alpha test server, how does that work???

dogtired
08-17-2013, 01:25 AM

aint it the truth

NomadPhx
08-17-2013, 12:16 PM
not getting my point....... theres an APLHA SERVER, after alpha goes beta. just like for this game there was an alpha test, closed beta, open beta then release. in practice its to see how the features will react to larger player bases and those "special" individuals who do every combo of inputs/button presses trying to figure out any and all exploits/cheats like the Scrapworks Salvage co oo shortcut, or the fact that all you gotta do is use a bmg to heal like 100 hp then you get full rewards at arkfalls. i played the beta of this game and its different from both the alpha and release version. keycodes had fragments you had to gather at one point and the amount of stuff to do has "fluxed" a bit but certainly more now than before. im no fanboy, im just hoping like hell my $60 hasnt been wasted and holding hope other people give it more of a chance again, i like seeing buttloads of purple dots on my map every mission/arkfall and the almost instant pvp ques were cool, but i also understand where the other half comes from as well in not so good features. thus my curiosity in why they didn't run a beta test for like a week with the consoles involved too for maximum stress on the servers.

A s0t
08-17-2013, 12:18 PM
there was alpha and 3 betas before the game launched

Sanguinesun
08-17-2013, 12:24 PM
dont games and such usually go through alpha and beta testing before its approved? im all for the dlc to be out now, but not if the servers are down for days because of it. i just hope the forum onslaughts haven't influenced trion to jump the gun on the release...

1. The game had both an alpha for months and more than one beta weekend etc for stints of time before it was released in April.

2. Many things that alpha and beta testers cited then in the forums, in the lil feedback windows we were given to report things after missions, and other in game bug reports and other issues were given by the truck loads. Many of those things were not addressed then and still some exist to this day on live after 4 months.

3. Understand that issues like this are the -norm- for this game.

4. Please refer to your thread on erroneously calling people who are unhappy with the game but still play as being hypocritical (this thread you made is more accurately hypocritical in context to that thread's statements by you). http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?123348-Yall-are-pretty-hypocritcal-lol

Yewa
08-17-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't know why they decided to name it alpha at all. People were calling it the public test server before.

Sanguinesun
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't know why they decided to name it alpha at all. People were calling it the public test server before.

Compare all they've done since before launch to now. It makes very sad and dismaying sense then.

Dark Raven80
08-17-2013, 05:01 PM

There is only alpha testing for dlc on pc, 360/ps3 are s.o.l. Also, since try'n still hasn't decided to change their failing ways by opening up live chat for service or at least doing something about bug reports and issues (besides ignoring them) things still look bleak for defiance...

NomadPhx
08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
that other thread was mainly for the "computer programmers" and such that say trion is a failing company, that the people who made the game didnt do it right at all and pick through everything negatively piece by piece, but then i see some in game playing like nothings wrong at all. also for the couple people ive seen that cried for season pass refunds, get them and then still receive the entitlement anyways. but i bet since they got their money back, those people wont be seen in a raptor or enjoying the few other premium items because they didnt want them, right?

though i have to say, my personal philosophy of the biggest offenders are the biggest defenders was met on that last thread lol

DeadMike
08-18-2013, 04:15 PM
You're getting hung up on the "alpha" and "beta" terminology. They make additional content, they test it some, then we test it some, then it goes live.

Atticus Batman
08-18-2013, 04:18 PM
There is only alpha testing for dlc on pc, 360/ps3 are s.o.l. Also, since try'n still hasn't decided to change their failing ways by opening up live chat for service or at least doing something about bug reports and issues (besides ignoring them) things still look bleak for defiance...

We can't test it because of various things. We don't have as much memory so we may not be able to have 2(yes 2) copies of the game on our hard drive. And more importantly they can NOT just fix, alter, add, or remove items from a game on console whenever they want, because ALL consoles require certification.

Rasczak
08-18-2013, 04:22 PM
not getting my point....... theres an APLHA SERVER, after alpha goes beta. just like for this game there was an alpha test, closed beta, open beta then release. in practice its to see how the features will react to larger player bases and those "special" individuals who do every combo of inputs/button presses trying to figure out any and all exploits/cheats like the Scrapworks Salvage co oo shortcut, or the fact that all you gotta do is use a bmg to heal like 100 hp then you get full rewards at arkfalls. i played the beta of this game and its different from both the alpha and release version. keycodes had fragments you had to gather at one point and the amount of stuff to do has "fluxed" a bit but certainly more now than before. im no fanboy, im just hoping like hell my $60 hasnt been wasted and holding hope other people give it more of a chance again, i like seeing buttloads of purple dots on my map every mission/arkfall and the almost instant pvp ques were cool, but i also understand where the other half comes from as well in not so good features. thus my curiosity in why they didn't run a beta test for like a week with the consoles involved too for maximum stress on the servers.

You are confused by the name, is all.

The Alpha Server is what is called the Public Test Server, or just Test Server, in other MMOs. Typically, new Patches are placed on there for an average of a few weeks, players log into those servers and test for bugs, after those few weeks the patch goes live, and that is that.

A few weeks later, the next patch goes up for some quick, public testing.

The only time you will see Alpha, Beta, et cetera is usually (1) before the core game launches, or (2) before a major Expansion launches (such as an EQ2 expansion, World of Warcraft expansion, et cetera).

Usually, a DLC is on there a few weeks just like a patch.

The DLC on the test server for Defiance was typical of MMOs.

Dark Raven80
08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
We can't test it because of various things. We don't have as much memory so we may not be able to have 2(yes 2) copies of the game on our hard drive. And more importantly they can NOT just fix, alter, add, or remove items from a game on console whenever they want, because ALL consoles require certification.

I have at least 75gigs of data storage space left on my hard drive at the moment and I'm pretty sure that others have space to download a alpha test version. The only people that might miss out are those with the old 20gig hard drive... Therefore your argument is invalid since alpha/beta versions are allowed by xbox all developers have to do is submit the right paper work but it is doubtful Trion management can handle doing something that would actually improve the player experience...

Atticus Batman
08-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I have at least 75gigs of data storage space left on my hard drive at the moment and I'm pretty sure that others have space to download a alpha test version. The only people that might miss out are those with the old 20gig hard drive... Therefore your argument is invalid since alpha/beta versions are allowed by xbox all developers have to do is submit the right paper work but it is doubtful Trion management can handle doing something that would actually improve the player experience...

This is NOT actually a game's alpha server. It is a LIVE TEST SERVER/ There is a difference. Actual alpha/beta serveres don't ever alter the basic stuff completely and test servers do on occasion. obviously you have never played on a Test server before.

WARDUKE
08-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Most MMO style games, if you can really call Defiance a MMO (I don't), are really just soft betas their first year of operation.

That test server is closed atm, as it fulfilled it's purpose.

Rasczak
08-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Most MMO style games, if you can really call Defiance a MMO (I don't), are really just soft betas their first year of operation.

That test server is closed atm, as it fulfilled it's purpose.

No, in all honesty, I would not insult the MMO industry by including Defiance in those ranks.

And while it is true what you said about the first year or two of launch, unfortunately some games show clear signs that they are unlikely to make a turn around. Defiance has shown such signs, just as games like SWTOR, Champions Online, Warhammer Online, and Age of Conan did before it.

skepticck
08-18-2013, 06:28 PM
You're getting hung up on the "alpha" and "beta" terminology. They make additional content, they test it some, then we test it some, then it goes live with all the bugs still there.

If you permit me i'll add that to your phrase :D

WARDUKE
08-18-2013, 07:10 PM
AoC is actually become profitable since going F2P. Rift is F2P. Won't be a shock if Defiance becomes F2P in 2014, after next gens come out.

Rasczak
08-18-2013, 07:15 PM
AoC is actually become profitable since going F2P. Rift is F2P. Won't be a shock if Defiance becomes F2P in 2014, after next gens come out.

AoC also became profitable post-F2P because investment in it was cut way back. Heck, that was shown in multiple Funcom quarterly reports.

That's a lot different than, say, DCUO becoming profitable after F2P with full development still ongoing.

NomadPhx
08-19-2013, 06:19 AM
You are confused by the name, is all.

The Alpha Server is what is called the Public Test Server, or just Test Server, in other MMOs. Typically, new Patches are placed on there for an average of a few weeks, players log into those servers and test for bugs, after those few weeks the patch goes live, and that is that.

A few weeks later, the next patch goes up for some quick, public testing.

The only time you will see Alpha, Beta, et cetera is usually (1) before the core game launches, or (2) before a major Expansion launches (such as an EQ2 expansion, World of Warcraft expansion, et cetera).

Usually, a DLC is on there a few weeks just like a patch.

The DLC on the test server for Defiance was typical of MMOs.

thats the info i was looking for, thank you :)

NomadPhx
08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
hmmmm, well a BETA server sure woulda put this into perspective beforehand

Sanguinesun
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
hmmmm, well a BETA server sure woulda put this into perspective beforehand

Are you still having trouble understanding the terminology Trion is using for pre launch and this recent test server naming and the time lines of things for the game?

Rasczak
08-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Are you still having trouble understanding the terminology Trion is using for pre launch and this recent test server naming and the time lines of things for the game?

It didn't help that Trion named it stupidly to begin with, just to try to be different. Any other MMO calls it a Test Server, or Public Test Server.

Then again, Trion calling it an Alpha Server was probably a self fulfilling prophecy, anyway.

NomadPhx
08-20-2013, 05:50 PM
ive seen plenty of other nerds that agree there should have been additional testing so call it a pancake server if that makes you feel better. terminology has nothing to do with what my point is

Rasczak
08-20-2013, 05:53 PM
ive seen plenty of other nerds that agree there should have been additional testing so call it a pancake server if that makes you feel better. terminology has nothing to do with what my point is

On a patch or DLC, there should always be more testing than what there typically is. The only developer I have known to have a patch on their test server for months is Blizzard with World of Warcraft.

Like them or hate them, they are still the 800lb gorilla in the MMO room for a very valid reason.

And yet, every floundering studio has yet to figure out the very basic formula: internally test your content, publicly test your content, fix what is wrong, be prepared to immediately fix the screw-ups that sometimes inevitably happen when transferring to the Live servers.

Yeah, Blizzard has messed up a patch in Live. They've also taken the game down (even for as long as a couple of days or so) to fix it. Then they'll usually hand out a day or so of free subscription time (meaning you bill a day or two later, or end a day or two later if you had cancelled).

But unlike the flaming you see at countless forums, I will say even after 8 years with them, I still trust Blizzard as a developer (whether or not I personally like feature-X of their game is a different topic). Trion Worlds, not so much anymore. Maybe they should have tried to clone more from Blizzard than just WoW . . . .

Sanguinesun
08-20-2013, 05:55 PM

As I told you in this very thread. Testing on the pre lauch alpha, the prelaunch beta, and this post "test sever" were worthless because 90-100% of what we would report was never address at launch of the game etc. We could have tested for 6 months instead of a few before launch and we could've tested for 6 weeks instead of a few before the DLC and it really would've made zero difference. That is the point we've been trying to make to you.

NomadPhx
08-23-2013, 05:28 AM
so your telling me that even if they made an additional test server for consoles that couldnt even handle the premium crap at all and crashed right away, they would still sell it it? i didnt know so many forum posters work for trion and know 100% of their business decisions, but then again i havent seen 1 thread without seeing somebody acting like they know what they're talking and being all uppity.