PDA

View Full Version : Excellent bait and switch.

outbackjim21
08-17-2013, 10:45 AM
So somewhere along the way I am to expect that the arenas which were stated to be co-op are now single player. The only thing in this dlc release that had amazing replay value. I can only think of one reason behind this. Trion might want to come off saying "it has something to do with the programming", but in all actuality it's just to boost profits. With more than half of the dlc being free, in order to avoid alienating players, but with this product model one person could buy the arena dlc and three others wouldn't have to so that they could experience the dlc to the fullest. This scenario would lead to a nosedive in profits. So trion made the choice of not only alienating the dlc purchasers from the non-buyers, but also chose to alienate those who actually bought the dlc simply to maximize profits. Good business practice, but crappy customer service.

If they wanted to come off as at least a little bit less of a money vacuum, they could have simply stated it would be single player from the get go then after some pleading from the players then they could add coop. Two birds with one stone; maximize profits without actually taking away from the product, and show the fans that they are listening. Honestly the only good PR this dlc has gotten was the free one with the public test servers. But hey, what can you expect, it's a business trying to get ahead.

DarknessEyes PT
08-17-2013, 10:50 AM
I dont agree with you, it was not a matter of money.
They can make it co-op and only allow players that own the dlc to do arenas.
Arenas are very raw, its exactly like the rampages with the only difference that you can use your own guns.

IMO it was a matter of time, they didnt had enough time to polish arenas and the raptor (truck of doom) becayse they have to release 5 DLC's in 1 year, thats around one DLC every 2 months now...

Gomly
08-17-2013, 11:45 AM
becayse they have to release 5 DLC's in 1 year, thats around one DLC every 2 months now...

Now THAT made me giggle.

If you think they will have all 5 dlc out within another 8 months then I want whatever you're drinking.

outbackjim21
08-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I dont agree with you, it was not a matter of money.
They can make it co-op and only allow players that own the dlc to do arenas.
Arenas are very raw, its exactly like the rampages with the only difference that you can use your own guns.

IMO it was a matter of time, they didnt had enough time to polish arenas and the raptor (truck of doom) becayse they have to release 5 DLC's in 1 year, thats around one DLC every 2 months now...

I respect your opinion, but it lacks evidence. Trion previously stated that things such as the arena would be locked to those who did not purchase dlc, unless someone in your group had it then you could play by grouping up with them. With that already said, arena was and still is the meat of this upcoming dlc. 4 people are playing it and only one person bought it, you don't see a problem with that. And how could the arena not have time to be polished when the four person coop was a fundamental part to the arena, it was delayed enough times for people to lay down the design specs, write the code, add textures, and test/debug they even have an entire server of free-willing testers so there should not be any excuses for the arena being "broken" . So yeah they CAN make it coop, but I order to maximize profits they are going to make it single player so that those who want to do will have to buy it themselves rather than join up with a friend who has it. Only after the dlc reaches a plateau in sales will they make it coop.

NomadPhx
08-17-2013, 11:51 AM
i never once saw anything from trion about co op arenas, a lot of forum elite have given their two cents but everything official ive seen has said single player. but i dunno, maybe they said something on across the badlands a while back?

A s0t
08-17-2013, 11:55 AM
not to be mean, but have you played the game? it's entirely single player, just ark falls/trading loot are really the only mmo things in the game. 4 player co-op missions could have been way more people

Daholic
08-17-2013, 12:03 PM
You got games that give the whole multiplayer experience (BL/BL2), then all of a sudden the technology to do it in Defiance isn't possible? Look, if yall want to act like Defiance has over exceeded the capacity of both console games then that's fine. but.....a multiplayer game not being able to provide multiplayer aspects..lol

Valaska
08-17-2013, 12:04 PM
The guy up there is right once the revenue stops they'll think of making it co-op, more likely just ignore it and add more outfits etc though.

Sanguinesun
08-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Now THAT made me giggle.

If you think they will have all 5 dlc out within another 8 months then I want whatever you're drinking.

Technically, they could turn out all 5 in one year. Per how we know Trion has done things, all they'd have to do is:

1. Get the current one out in a few days as is. DLC 1.
2. Reintroduce the plague sieges "revamped"(meaning minimal changes with their bug fix) with some basic reskins of armors and weapons and that could be DLC 2
3. Add 5 more races using diaper or dumdum(formerly known as doom) truck and give you reskins call it the Slug Racer DLC 3.
4. Add side missions as repeatable and (insert game enemy group name not yet used for sieges) sieges and call it DLC 4.
5. Make a big colored and skinned outfits pack and call it DLC 5: the Fashion show.

Or any other similar very limited effort needed thing. Heck they -could- drop just one outfit as a DLC and it counts. That's the trick of marketing and why when you buy without knowing what you're getting, they get all the freedom and flexibility to make the dlc anything they want.

outbackjim21
08-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Now THAT made me giggle.

If you think they will have all 5 dlc out within another 8 months then I want whatever you've drinking.
Yeah, if irrational games (developers of bioshock infinite) can't release a worthwhile dlc( funny being that the first release is also an arena mode) every 2 months after a release ( without having made the dlc during the actual games development might I add) I doubt trion will be able to produce quality dlc over the next 7 months.

A s0t
08-17-2013, 12:07 PM
The guy up there is right once the revenue stops they'll think of making it co-op, more likely just ignore it and add more outfits etc though.you mean when xbox one and ps4 come out and everyone leaves current consoles. pc players can still carry on

outbackjim21
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
not to be mean, but have you played the game? it's entirely single player, just ark falls/trading loot are really the only mmo things in the game. 4 player co-op missions could have been way more people
Ill refute that with the exact same question, have you played the game. First off, from the mouth of god itself " it's a shooter first, mmo second" with that said, this game is reliant on a shared world experience in order to compliment the shooter aspect. And simply to refute you saying that it's single player mostly;clans, coop itself, pvp, and ark falls make this game much more than single player.

drackiller
08-17-2013, 12:33 PM
you mean when xbox one and ps4 come out and everyone leaves current consoles. pc players can still carry on
Why men ? I have two PS3, i will buy PS4 in day 1, but i will not get rid of my PS3.
I will keep playing the games that i like on my PS3`s, unless they get available on the PS4.
I`ll keep using both PS3 and PS4 at the same time. Dammit, i still use my PS2...

A s0t
08-17-2013, 12:34 PM
when i play with 1 other dude get nothing but problems from it
and the mouth of god who is that did they get fired with everyone else
cloak and shot gun is not pvp
i should have told you yeah i played day 1 and no one around when was doing missions past the prison mission, saw 1 dude in san fran and game lags out.
co-op is a joke why is nobody speed running them yet?

A s0t
08-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Why men ? I have two PS3, i will buy PS4 in day 1, but i will not get rid of my PS3.
I will keep playing the games that i like on my PS3`s, unless they get available on the PS4.
I`ll keep using both PS3 and PS4 at the same time. Dammit, i still use my PS2...

how much time you gonna spend playing defiance? with the new old games coming out. the only thing original is 'watch dogs' every thing else is a rehash or sequels. and D says they have NOT discussed making Defiance on the xbox one

i miss my ps2

drackiller
08-17-2013, 12:53 PM
how much time you gonna spend playing defiance? with the new old games coming out. the only thing original is 'watch dogs' every thing else is a rehash or sequels. and D says they have NOT discussed making Defiance on the xbox one

i miss my ps2
We all have different ways of seeing things, i don`t have time to play lots of different games on the time that i can spare.
I don`t play 10 games at the same time, but i have games that i definetelly will play.
I will play DA Inquisition for sure, i will play the next Fallout whenever it may go out, etc. But i will have time to play DEFIANCE if the game endures.

teamshizzy
08-17-2013, 01:53 PM
They could do what Black Ops does, release a few weapon skins you have to pay for and call it DLC.

Sanguinesun
08-17-2013, 02:14 PM
They could do what Black Ops does, release a few weapon skins you have to pay for and call it DLC.

Yep, what I pretty much implied on the first page hehe.

Dark Raven80
08-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Ill refute that with the exact same question, have you played the game. First off, from the mouth of god itself " it's a shooter first, mmo second" with that said, this game is reliant on a shared world experience in order to compliment the shooter aspect. And simply to refute you saying that it's single player mostly;clans, coop itself, pvp, and ark falls make this game much more than single player.

You must mean "when" clan functions work, "when" group functions work, and "when" pvp games don't lag out or outright boot you for no appearent reason at all. Further more if you submit a bug report it will just be ignored and live chat isn't live at all, it is a prompt to submit a bug report...

JxSiN
08-17-2013, 05:52 PM
i never once saw anything from trion about co op arenas, a lot of forum elite have given their two cents but everything official ive seen has said single player. but i dunno, maybe they said something on across the badlands a while back?

Actually when notes first started appearing for the DLC it said "Play with your friends in the new Arenas". Up until just recently did they change that to solo. Of course I can't track it down now because all the old DLC stuff poofed when the new DLC list got stickied. It was all over the forums, and many people will vouch for that.

Reichlyn
08-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Actually when notes first started appearing for the DLC it said "Play with your friends in the new Arenas". Up until just recently did they change that to solo. Of course I can't track it down now because all the old DLC stuff poofed when the new DLC list got stickied. It was all over the forums, and many people will vouch for that.

He's telling the truth, I read all of it myself. They actually even stated at one point that "if a friend buys the DLC, you can group with him and do the arenas together so as you wouldnt have to buy it". That was their exact words almost.

dominad
08-17-2013, 07:13 PM

I have to correct you there. Black ops 2 had a season pass with 4 DLC's al were released with new MP maps and a new zombies map. The personilization packs had weapon skins and player cards and were optional add on's that added nothing to the game. They were unrelated to the DLC's I very much enjoyed mob of th dead and die rise in the DLC's/

3rdpig
08-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Don't attribute to malice or greed what can be explained by simple incompetence.

DeadMike
08-17-2013, 07:42 PM
I respect your opinion, but it lacks evidence.
As does yours.

Arsenic_Touch
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/

Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode

Was listed under the free portion.

JxSiN
08-17-2013, 08:19 PM
http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/

Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode

Was listed under the free portion.

Thank you Arsenic, I overlooked that. It was also listed verbatim on the forums until all that went poof. I knew you would be one person I could count on to back up the truth

Daholic
08-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Thank you Arsenic, I overlooked that. It was also listed verbatim on the forums until all that went poof. I knew you would be one person I could count on to back up the truth

hmmmm....and someone told me last week that Trion has never lied about anything

A s0t
08-17-2013, 10:21 PM
hmmmm....and someone told me last week that Trion has never lied about anythinghttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7b13wCNzP1r0undxo1_500.gif

JxSiN
08-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Haha well that person lied to you

Billy Guile
08-17-2013, 10:28 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4051327744/hD3F7BD85/

fang1192
08-17-2013, 10:43 PM
when i play with 1 other dude get nothing but problems from it
and the mouth of god who is that did they get fired with everyone else
cloak and shot gun is not pvp
i should have told you yeah i played day 1 and no one around when was doing missions past the prison mission, saw 1 dude in san fran and game lags out.
co-op is a joke why is nobody speed running them yet?

How could you forget infectors? You know, the gun that takes the shooter out of this shooter first, mmo second game.

A s0t
08-17-2013, 10:45 PM
How could you forget infectors? You know, the gun that takes the shooter out of this shooter first, mmo second game.i'm not shaking that hornet's nest again

Gomly
08-17-2013, 10:53 PM

That would be Indra.

I saw his post saying they never lied and people are "misreading" what Trion have said in the past.

Sanguinesun
08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
That would be Indra.

I saw his post saying they never lied and people are "misreading" what Trion have said in the past.

Yep:rolleyes:

Daholic
08-17-2013, 11:19 PM
That would be Indra.

probably so. But we all know how this is going go right? there will be a 8 paragraph explanation how this is normal business practice. Or how we are over reacting about a simple quote about a multiplayer function that they probably couldn't do anyway because of time restriction. Or how we should be happy that we're getting a dlc that provides so much meat and we are just being complainers.

This is the second time someone has went over and beyond to keep anyone from slandering the Trion name. Remember when Sledge said during beta that the weapons in beta doesn't reflect the weapon on release. We were told we misunderstood.

A s0t
08-17-2013, 11:23 PM
8 paragraphs no sir we will get a:

Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

While we understand that it is frustrating to read negative posts and threads, creating threads to "reply" to or otherwise discuss these threads is not constructive and typically results in more disruption.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!

JxSiN
08-17-2013, 11:27 PM
I remember at one point I defended Trion religiously. Yeah, that got me far

Far in disappointment

Sanguinesun
08-18-2013, 12:27 AM
probably so. But we all know how this is going go right? there will be a 8 paragraph explanation how this is normal business practice. Or how we are over reacting about a simple quote about a multiplayer function that they probably couldn't do anyway because of time restriction. Or how we should be happy that we're getting a dlc that provides so much meat and we are just being complainers.

Most recent one was 12+.

Im glad to know Im not the only one who has been noticing this pattern. :p

Arsenic_Touch
08-18-2013, 01:15 AM
This is the second time someone has went over and beyond to keep anyone from slandering the Trion name. Remember when Sledge said during beta that the weapons in beta doesn't reflect the weapon on release. We were told we misunderstood.

I love how he avoided speaking to me about the issue any time I brought it up when he posted. I still have the thread - http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?9135-Petition-for-weapon-stat-increase - funny thing was, there's word that there was better progression(somewhat vertical) in the alpha and they decided to scrap it for the back asswards system we currently have. /shrug

Daholic
08-18-2013, 01:54 AM
I love how he avoided speaking to me about the issue any time I brought it up when he posted. I still have the thread - http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?9135-Petition-for-weapon-stat-increase - funny thing was, there's word that there was better progression(somewhat vertical) in the alpha and they decided to scrap it for the back asswards system we currently have. /shrug

Hot damn! You have the actual thread where he said that. I brought that up at least 20x's, and I was always told he never said that.

The weapons and weapon stats along with Loot tables are a few months old and do not reflect the final launch settings. How about we revisit your concerns once the final game is launched

SledgeHammer70

Sanguinesun
08-18-2013, 02:09 AM
Screen capture it and save it. With the rate of things like all the wednesday and friday twitch streams up to a few weeks ago being removed and the old alpha forum posts purged, I'd be willing to bet they'll find some reason to see such like that get "lost" too.

Gomly
08-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Most recent one was 12+.

Im glad to know Im not the only one who has been noticing this pattern. :p

We've all noticed it.

Now I don't dislike Trion as a whole, some of them are good peoples, but "management" leave a lot to be desired .... however .... I can't think of a single way to publicly defend anything that has been done in regards to this game.

The funny thing is, a lot of what Indra has to say makes a lot of sense ...... if you pretend this game was a massive hit and hadn't completely decimated an entire studio and cost people their jobs.

I admit, it is a fun game for what it is. The truly sad part is the potential to be great was there but sadly not achieved.

DarknessEyes PT
08-18-2013, 02:51 AM
I respect your opinion, but it lacks evidence. Trion previously stated that things such as the arena would be locked to those who did not purchase dlc, unless someone in your group had it then you could play by grouping up with them. With that already said, arena was and still is the meat of this upcoming dlc. 4 people are playing it and only one person bought it, you don't see a problem with that. And how could the arena not have time to be polished when the four person coop was a fundamental part to the arena, it was delayed enough times for people to lay down the design specs, write the code, add textures, and test/debug they even have an entire server of free-willing testers so there should not be any excuses for the arena being "broken" . So yeah they CAN make it coop, but I order to maximize profits they are going to make it single player so that those who want to do will have to buy it themselves rather than join up with a friend who has it. Only after the dlc reaches a plateau in sales will they make it coop.

Have you tried dlc1?

Sieges and new arkfall (Free content) seems polished but arenas dont... Looks like they just copy rampages on a rush in order to deliver dlc on time... The multiplier score is impossible to keep because enemies are very far from each other, this shouldn't happen if arenas had co-op because the members could split.
So i guess they wanted to add co-op, just didn't had time to add it...
Same for Raptor (Truck of doom), in turret seat the passenger have an crossair but no turret..,
Trion already promised co-op on arenas and a turret on Raptor... lets just wait and see...

I didn't purchase dlc1 and I'm not purchasing dlc1 until:

Arenas are polished and allow both options (solo and co-op).
OR
Raptor (Truck of doom) gets a turret or the passenger in turret seat gains ability the shoot.

MacDeath
08-18-2013, 04:27 AM
8 paragraphs no sir we will get a:

Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

While we understand that it is frustrating to read negative posts and threads, creating threads to "reply" to or otherwise discuss these threads is not constructive and typically results in more disruption.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!
You do that very nicely. Are you interested in a job as a forum mod here?

MacDeath
08-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Hot damn! You have the actual thread where he said that. I brought that up at least 20x's, and I was always told he never said that.

The weapons and weapon stats along with Loot tables are a few months old and do not reflect the final launch settings. How about we revisit your concerns once the final game is launched

SledgeHammer70
Well, in that post Sledge was NOT saying that it would be a totally different system in Live compared to beta, he was only saying that some things would be different and we should revisit the concerns after Live launch. Of course, that wasn't a lie, it was his typical double speak. He IMPLIED that it wouldn't be a concern in the live game.

VicousBlood
08-18-2013, 04:43 AM
You got games that give the whole multiplayer experience (BL/BL2), then all of a sudden the technology to do it in Defiance isn't possible? Look, if yall want to act like Defiance has over exceeded the capacity of both console games then that's fine. but.....a multiplayer game not being able to provide multiplayer aspects..lol

Comparing Borderlands to Defiance when it comes to the multiplayer aspect is like comparing apples and oranges. Borderlands is a self supporting self hosting platform, not MMO format. Lack of storyline yes, lack of sidequests maybe, still needing further development to polish it up like every other game made to date, unless you are playing atari or a commodore 64, in which case you are stuck with what you got; most definitely.

Daholic
08-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Comparing Borderlands to Defiance when it comes to the multiplayer aspect is like comparing apples and oranges. Borderlands is a self supporting self hosting platform, not MMO format. Lack of storyline yes, lack of sidequests maybe, still needing further development to polish it up like every other game made to date, unless you are playing atari or a commodore 64, in which case you are stuck with what you got; most definitely.

Im not comparing Defiance to Borderlands per se, what i'm comparing is the fact that Borderlands did more within the confines of the ps3 system, than Defiance has.

Or course lots of games have left a lot on the table as far as using all the ps3/xbox has to offer, but can you really understand a gaming company in 2013, not being able to make a multiplayer function saying its programming? Some of these excuses given make me assume where in the late 90's.

We cant make the vehicle of Doom with a gun because of rendering problems.
We cant make arenas multiplayer because of programming.

Pathetic.

Edit: Defiance isn't an MMO, just a single player, open shared world shooter.

Dark Raven80
08-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Im not comparing Defiance to Borderlands per se, what i'm comparing is the fact that Borderlands did more within the confines of the ps3 system, than Defiance has.

Or course lots of games have left a lot on the table as far as using all the ps3/xbox has to offer, but can you really understand a gaming company in 2013, not being able to make a multiplayer function saying its programming? Some of these excuses given make me assume where in the late 90's.

We cant make the vehicle of Doom with a gun because of rendering problems.
We cant make arenas multiplayer because of programming.

Pathetic.

I have to agree with this assessment. Making arenas multiplayer/coop instance shouldn't be that difficult for decent developers but I guess Trion doesn'thave those. Plus four months of working on this (if they actually started working on it before release then that just adds to the idiocracy) without being able to deliver what was played at e3 to live servers? I can see having lag issues with turrets on a vehicle but the coop seems like greed to me unless the devs are completely incompetent (given the things that have backfired on try'n is certainly possible).

VicousBlood
08-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Crysis, Borderlands, Battlefield..etc make more sense under the open world/sandbox shooter title. Defiance is most definitely an MMO, not a classic sense RPG MMO or ARPGMMO, but an MMO nonetheless. However I do agree given trions record, they need to get on the ball. They actually do have something great here that can appeal to a few different crowds of players in different genres.

"Defiance is a curious beast. One part television show and one part video game, it is as much an experiment in building a brand as it is an MMO...It's clear that Trion wanted to build something that offered casual and new MMO players..." >>>http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/26/defiance-is-the-mmo-version-of-a-popcorn-movie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

IGears
08-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Crysis, Borderlands, Battlefield..etc make more sense under the open world/sandbox shooter title. Defiance is most definitely an MMO, not a classic sense RPG MMO or ARPGMMO, but an MMO nonetheless. However I do agree given trions record, they need to get on the ball. They actually do have something great here that can appeal to a few different crowds of players in different genres.

"Defiance is a curious beast. One part television show and one part video game, it is as much an experiment in building a brand as it is an MMO...It's clear that Trion wanted to build something that offered casual and new MMO players..." >>>http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/26/defiance-is-the-mmo-version-of-a-popcorn-movie/

You source also said for MMOs:
"MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres."

if you think Defiance fits that definition, then yes, it is a MMO. but i don't think it does.

also for your source:
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (April 2011)

Daholic
08-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Ahhhhh, I remember that article from 4 months ago. I know why you used the article in question as proof that its an MMO, but I remember the article for a whole different reason.

Kudos on the quick find, but let me tell you something. Ive seen that article so many time back in April its a shame. I believe that was one of 3 reviews I seen that was good, remember everyone saying that Trion isn't getting a good review because they haven't payed for onethat back then we knew the fix was in after seeing that piece. It was easier to find a bad review than a good one.

Haha, did you even read the article? Its so full of fail im still laughing. "Over 1million registered players"..hahahahaha, was you here for that fiasco. People walking around with their heads up high thinking Defiance has really done something special, only to find out that 1 million registered, isn't the same as 1 million copies sold.

Anyway, you may want to check the Trions word of mouth, I think they weren't even calling it an mmo either.

SpiritumLiberum
08-18-2013, 11:18 AM
So somewhere along the way I am to expect that the arenas which were stated to be co-op are now single player. The only thing in this dlc release that had amazing replay value. I can only think of one reason behind this. Trion might want to come off saying "it has something to do with the programming", but in all actuality it's just to boost profits. With more than half of the dlc being free, in order to avoid alienating players, but with this product model one person could buy the arena dlc and three others wouldn't have to so that they could experience the dlc to the fullest. This scenario would lead to a nosedive in profits. So trion made the choice of not only alienating the dlc purchasers from the non-buyers, but also chose to alienate those who actually bought the dlc simply to maximize profits. Good business practice, but crappy customer service.

If they wanted to come off as at least a little bit less of a money vacuum, they could have simply stated it would be single player from the get go then after some pleading from the players then they could add coop. Two birds with one stone; maximize profits without actually taking away from the product, and show the fans that they are listening. Honestly the only good PR this dlc has gotten was the free one with the public test servers. But hey, what can you expect, it's a business trying to get ahead.

Yeah they are good at it. It's not really about the game or how good it is, it is about how they can make money.

This is basically an entrepreneur chance, a business not to create a great game for people to experience and enjoy but to merely earn money while people are tricked into thinking the game is great or okay... or "worth the money". Lars butler speaks in a 2 hour video on how it works, he basically talks about how to make profits by doing very little.

The game is garbage, great idea though, but that is the trick.

VicousBlood
08-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Ahhhhh, I remember that article from 4 months ago. I know why you used the article in question as proof that its an MMO, but I remember the article for a whole different reason.

Kudos on the quick find, but let me tell you something. Ive seen that article so many time back in April its a shame. I believe that was one of 3 reviews I seen that was good, remember everyone saying that Trion isn't getting a good review because they haven't payed for onethat back then we knew the fix was in after seeing that piece. It was easier to find a bad review than a good one.

Haha, did you even read the article? Its so full of fail im still laughing. "Over 1million registered players"..hahahahaha, was you here for that fiasco. People walking around with their heads up high thinking Defiance has really done something special, only to find out that 1 million registered, isn't the same as 1 million copies sold.

Anyway, you may want to check the Trions word of mouth, I think they weren't even calling it an mmo either.

I understood the 1 million registered, doesn't mean 1 million playing. Hell, I registered (as an Ark hunter) before I even bought the game. My only problem with the article was that they used that 1 million registered portion. Either way, the game is still in it's infant stage, sure they should have released it with more content. I been playing online games since they introduced IPX on 28.8k modem in Baldurs Gate. I play CAL, & TWL leagues in CoD now and the only thing about this game that screams shooter to me is, point, click, shoot. But for only 5-6 months in play for this type of game to start getting ready to release DLC soon is fairly good turn around. This is not a bad turn around, albeit, this should have been in the original release rather than the first DLC, It's still not a bad turn around. As far as thinking it was something special, all I could see is that it was a cross between Tabula Rasa, Global Agenda and Borderlands. And of course in this day and age you don't want to market your game as another MMO, because that's what it will be just another MMO, part of the reason they have ARPG, or MMORTS and the like. Deep down it has all the MMO, elements but in order to get it to stand out in a crowd, of course they are going to use something like "we are a third person open world shooter",. Not "oh yes we are Defiance, even though we have a tiny skill tree..uh I meant perks, trading in game, looting, dedicated server that stores your data, quests that require you to socialize in order to level up...I'm sorry I meant raise your ego points, a currency system, cleverly renamed guild to clan, a leveling system, & upgradeable weapons, but we are not an MMO we are a shooter, although you have to get online and play on our servers, I repeat...we are not an MMO". Well Aion and Dragon's Nest have the same setup and gunner classes now so I guess they're shooters also.

And for this source:
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (April 2011)
Last edit was August 2013, so it's up to date.

And, sorry if this post sounds ******baggish, not trying to be. It just got typed out that way. Not trying to defend Trion either not a fan of any of their games except Defiance.