PDA

View Full Version : How user friendly is this for my girlfriend?

jellytotz
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi all!

I didn't get chance to play the Beta unfortunately but I'm very much looking forward to this game! Super excited in fact. Anyways, my girlfriend has been looking to play an mmo of some sort with me for a long time but she isn't the most patient or has the time when it comes to the quite complex side of them (WoW, Anarchy Online etc). She's not thick, far from it but her lifestyle of work, gym, swimming and us two spending time together doesn't give her the time to dedicate a lot of time to a more complex MMO. She's played the Gears of War games, Dungeon Siege 3, GTA 4 etc with me. Since I didn't play the beta, I don't know how complex this game would be for her - could you please advise before I buy her a copy?

Many thanks!

duction
03-31-2013, 01:06 PM
my Gf played this without any problems and shes no hardcore gamer.

technophebe
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah if she's played those other games you mentioned this one will be no problem for her. Crafting system is a bit weird but that can be learnt :)

Delte
03-31-2013, 01:11 PM
If she enjoyed Gears of War and Mass Effect series then this game is about right for her. The mechanics make it so the character levels do not realy mean that much in regards to other mmo's as its all skill based rather than gear and character levels. Although a low level character will find it difficult in higher level areas, but they can still add something to the group.

Its not that difficult on stats wise and crafting or the game calls it salvaging is fairly straight forward. You get a quad bike very close to the start of the actual game as the map is huge and without it you will be running a long time. Just follow the mission quests and get the bike then your free to roam.

LadyChaos
03-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi all!

I didn't get chance to play the Beta unfortunately but I'm very much looking forward to this game! Super excited in fact. Anyways, my girlfriend has been looking to play an mmo of some sort with me for a long time but she isn't the most patient or has the time when it comes to the quite complex side of them (WoW, Anarchy Online etc). She's not thick, far from it but her lifestyle of work, gym, swimming and us two spending time together doesn't give her the time to dedicate a lot of time to a more complex MMO. She's played the Gears of War games, Dungeon Siege 3, GTA 4 etc with me. Since I didn't play the beta, I don't know how complex this game would be for her - could you please advise before I buy her a copy?

Many thanks!

The only complex/confusing thing is modding weapons, and once get hang of it, becomes simple pretty fast.
Missions are self explanatory and the NPCs and game voice will give you hints when you have been sucking for too long, like on the personal missions when the sheriff starts telling you to get ready they are coming etc. For the major (Arkfalls, public group) events the voice also gives you hints on how to complete the script, not everyone listens right away, but eventually they catch on.

I would recommend for players not interested in overly complicated for sure as long as they like shooters of course.

jellytotz
03-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Cheers for the replies guys! Much appreciated, least I now know what to expect hopefully we'll enjoy it.

Durva360
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Cheers for the replies guys! Much appreciated, least I now know what to expect hopefully we'll enjoy it.
If she has a group of friends to chat with it will be a much better experience for her. There are groups of players that will harass female gamers and it does get very annoying.

FantasyMeister
03-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Playing as a duo could be a lot of fun, one of you could follow the other around with a heal gun whilst the other tears stuff up however they like, or just both go hell for leather with a couple of machine guns and be the Bonnie and Clyde of Defiance.

If you want complicated it's there in the perks menu and character building side of things, but if you don't want to worry about it pretty sure you can just select stuff at random and get away with it.

Raine_Sheppard
03-31-2013, 01:42 PM
My girl has been vocally interested in Defiance since I brought it to her attention. Normally, she doesn't play shooters, but isn't unfamiliar with MMOs...in fact, I believe she's played more then I have. Heh! Now, she's helping me with organizing my guild and getting things ready for its' launch. For her, and for me too...it's strongly for the interesting story and background. Having this tied in with a television show really helped things.

Lothar LocNar
03-31-2013, 01:48 PM
If she has a group of friends to chat with it will be a much better experience for her. There are groups of players that will harass female gamers and it does get very annoying.
That would depend how she really looks..Does she fit the gamer girl profile (camo pants tee-shirt about 160# with black frame glasses and potato chips and soda next to her) Or a Victoria secret type that is a vegan and loves MMOs to improve her e-gina image?

jellytotz
03-31-2013, 02:31 PM
That would depend how she really looks..Does she fit the gamer girl profile (camo pants tee-shirt about 160# with black frame glasses and potato chips and soda next to her)

Hahaha! Thankfully not, you couldn't tell she plays games and it hurts me to say but she's beaten me several times on a few games.

just both go hell for leather with a couple of machine guns and be the Bonnie and Clyde of Defiance.

This is what I'm thinking, though I'm pretty sure we would like to group up with other people as well at times.

I'm so stoked about this game, I really hope it lives up to my expectations of a casual mmo shooter that I don't have to play for hours and hours a night to get anywhere. April the 2nd can't come quick enough for me and my Xbox, hopefully the mrs enjoys it too!