PDA

View Full Version : Progression in Defiance

thejx4
08-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Basically...there is none at this point, or should I say once you hit a certain EGO level. You stop actually unlocking things pretty early on, and higher level weapons just have random stats, but even those don't have a lot of variety.

I'm not even at 2000 yet, I stopped playing about 2 months ago but I played a little bit today. I played for an hour or two...but I never really felt like I was actually doing anything. It's boring, especially without friends. I can play BF3 a lot because there's a lot to unlock, especially with all the DLCs. But with the Charge Pack...it's all being handed to us. I'm not saying that should be level gated or anything, but my question is...what are we looking forward to? Why should we level up? Why are there even levels anymore? Feels like you guys just threw in the bare minimum to justify even having an experience based leveling system.

Maybe you guys should take a few cues from Firefall...

Gomly
08-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Maybe you guys should take a few cues from Firefall...

I've been in Firefall's beta for a while now .... be great if I could get some decent playtime in without the server melting.

If you're going to tell someone to take notes from another game, let's not use that bug riddled mess in it's current state.

A s0t
08-17-2013, 10:41 PM
If you're going to tell someone to take notes from another game, let's not use that bug riddled mess in it's current state.
cant tell if you mean defiance

thejx4
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
I've been in Firefall's beta for a while now .... be great if I could get some decent playtime in without the server melting.

LOL, and didn't Defiance's server melt a couple times this MONTH. Firefall is in beta. Anyways, I'm talking about the gameplay mechanics itself, just because it has bugs doesn't mean you couldn't learn a thing or two.

Sanguinesun
08-19-2013, 03:56 PM
LOL, and didn't Defiance's server melt a couple times this MONTH. Firefall is in beta. Anyways, I'm talking about the gameplay mechanics itself, just because it has bugs doesn't mean you couldn't learn a thing or two.

Its all about stickers. Once you've gotten all the pretty colors of the same sticker, then you're done. Or if you dont care about stickers you just put gum in little suzie's hair and steal other kids lunch money. Or you just are born into a wealthy family who can afford putting you in a private school with yoga classes, ikebana, indoor jogging tracks, and personal tutors. :P

Gomly
08-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Gameplay mechanics.

Firefall is a pretty decent game .. HOWEVER .. i've played better.

Tribes Ascend did jetpacking first person shooting far, far better. Gameplay was smoother, gunplay was better and the action was faster and far more entertaining.

Cavadus
08-19-2013, 04:15 PM
There's just something wrong with Firefall. I swear I've been in their beta for like two years at this point and I stop in to check things out three or four times a year but it's just not an engaging game in any way.

I also don't care for the feel of the gameplay; it's just off. Defiance has that "right" feel. A little arcade-y and I'd definitely prefer more Mass Effect 2/3 in the gunplay but it's largely correct.

Deathwish
08-19-2013, 04:15 PM
There is actual progression but it is not really seen or felt unless someone brings it to your attention, which is a failing of Defiance and Trion's as a whole.

As EGO rises, weapon drops change, more mod slots unlock, the unlocks and possible unlocks get better. It is something akin to as follows:

EGO Mods Unlocks
1200-1600 3-4 Base level unlocks
1601-2000 1-2 2nd Tier unlocks available
2001-3000 2-3 2nd Tier unlocks available
3001-4000 3-4 2nd Tier unlocks available
4001-5000 3-4 3rd Tier unlocks available

Note: These are not exacts, just general guidelines to give you an idea of what happens as you rise through the ranks.
Sadly the base stats of a weapon are the same from EGO 1 to 5000, which is a shame, you would think there might be some kind of scaling similar to grenade and shield scaling. I personal think an EGO5000 weapon should put the garden variety beginner EGO weapon to shame, but then we would need ranked pvp as it would make the playing field very unbalanced with EGO 100s fighting EGO5000s, actually you see this now anyways due to grenades and shields being so much better at 5000, but imagine if guns did to.

Aerion
08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Firefall would be a good game (to me mind) if it had any semblance of a story, and slightly more terrain... I mean even Defiance has more bloody map than that pos.

As it is, it's just running around collecting resources manually, or doing ARES stuff (the same 4-5 instances but at different locations) again and again and again, because you have to. If you don't, your high-end weapons and mods will turn to dust in short order.

And that's another part of the problem, they say that they need items to break to keep their economy going, well I don't give a single funk about their economy. They rely on a frustrating mechanic to keep their game going because they can't make any more/decent content, so they force the little they have to last by artificially extending it (they actually made this argument on the forums, I kid you not).

Anyway, I'm more of a solo player, I'm perfectly fine doing stuff while entertaining my mind otherwise, I have done so in WoW, Defiance, at my workplace, etc., so Firefall might seem a good thing, but it fails right from the start. Even the small Solo marked missions have so many enemies it feels like a really bad horde mode. ****loads of gating (for missions, for instances, for everything really).

Also, Tribes Ascend is a Tribes game, of course it did jetpacks better, Tribes games are just awesome and not even a pathetic company like Hi-Rez can mess up a Tribes game completely. Skiing is what I want to see in more games (coupled with jets of course).

Deathwish
08-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, I have to agree with Aerion here, Firefall was fun until they add degradation and the endless treadmill of resource grinding to keep your gear in shape, I mean don't get me wrong, Thumping can be fun, but when you have to thump 24/7 to maintain normalcy, sorry I'd rather play something else.

Bonehead
08-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Firefall is a really pretty game but I echo the thought that the story content is really bad. Not enough to keep me interested at all.