PDA

View Full Version : Okay I know DLC is some kind of batch upgrade but... WHAT IS IT?

Verda
08-17-2013, 10:58 PM
D L C.. Of course I have mostly forgot what TCP stands for. Probably something communication protocol. Anyway what does D L T stand for? Besides DownLoad Crap?

Verda

MacDeath
08-18-2013, 01:13 AM
D L C.. Of course I have mostly forgot what TCP stands for. Probably something communication protocol. Anyway what does D L T stand for? Besides DownLoad Crap?

Verda
DLC = Down Loadable Content. You can think of it as a patch. The patcher will install it for you but you can't use (some) features unless you have paid for it. You can also pay for a Season Pass that will include the 5 DLCs planned for this first year.

Wizx13
08-18-2013, 02:08 AM
:)........

ArkGuardian_MichaelDial
08-18-2013, 02:27 AM
DLC = Down Loadable Content. You can think of it as a patch. The patcher will install it for you but you can't use (some) features unless you have paid for it. You can also pay for a Season Pass that will include the 5 DLCs planned for this first year.

Like borderlands 2. The game download the DLC Contents from within update patch even tho you do not own the DLC. But when you pay for it then that Content is Unlock within the game.

I bought the season pass yesterday on Steam. Was a tempted thing lol

Notturno
08-18-2013, 02:30 AM

Verda

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't making a snide comment about the quality of the DLC.

Based on this blog post (http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/), this is a general overview of the first DLC update we are getting for the game.

You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
Access to play the Castithan Species
Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
A unique Castithan version of an outfit
A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
Access to New Pursuits
New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements

You get this in the DLC for free:
Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
Access to a new PvP Map Military Academy
Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
Select a new voice for you character
Multitude of game improvements from UI to content

You can buy these individually from the store:
New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change

Just some general notes on the above content:

Castithans are basically the same as any other race, just different aesthetics.
The story line is the battle arenas, there wasn't anything particularly new or exciting as a story mission. I personally believe this content was cut due to time and staffing constraints.
Battle arenas are now solo content. You run them just like a rampage or hotshot; you get several stages where you kill things to generate a multiplier. Highest scores get placed on a leaderboard, and there are thresholds to meet for Bronze, Silver, and Gold ratings.
The Raptor is a four player vehicle, "truck of doom" is misleading. There was originally a turret planned, but it was removed.
There's 2-3 new pursuits, it's nothing major.
Sieges are revamped versions of the plague content we saw a few months back.
The "Join a friend" portion of battle arenas is wrong, they were reduced to single player content.

There is also a big patch that accompanies the DLC, which you can find a draft (read: incomplete) version of on the patch notes forum (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?119790-Patch-1.027-Draft-version!). It contains a plethora of changes to the game, ranging from weapon changes, bug fixes, UI changes, and so on.

The individual DLC update costs around $10 USD, more or less based on exchange rates. You can purchase a season pass (read: five DLC updates) for about $30 on Steam, or $40 elsewhere. That is the equivalent of getting one or two DLC updates for free. Purchasing the DLC gives you access to additional content a "free" account would not get. Each DLC contains a free component that gives a minimal amount of content and updates to everyone, and a paid component that gives exclusive content. You are not restricted from playing the game if you do not purchase DLC, it is merely the equivalent of purchasing extra things to do in the game.