PDA

View Full Version : Best barrel for SAW with a crit bonus

duction
08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
which barrel is better for a saw with a crit bonus already on the weapon and why?

Ionic Barrel: +Crit Mult

or

Power Bore: +Aim DMG, +Hip DMG

thanks for the help.

DeadMike
08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Depends on whether or not you're good at landing critical hits with it. If you can land them regularly, the crit barrel. If not, the damage barrel.

Overtkill21
08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
What are other bonuses - it'll give a better idea - for instance a Stalker SAW needs an Ionic Barrel, ditto on a 10% EGO on Crit Kill roll by itself. I like the damage barrel for Grenadier and 15% Grenade on Kill rolls.

How many control rolls did the SAW get? (Recoil, accuracy, fire rate rolls) - those rolls increase your chance of crit hits dramatically.

duction
08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Orange FRC Saw - Level 188 - Syphon
x0.75 Recoil
x1.15 Crit Mult
x1.25 Mag
15% Grenade Recharge on a Kill
Radiation Melee

External Recoil Reduction: -Bloom, -Recoil
Catalyst Injector: +Effect Trigger %

Overtkill21
08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
x0.75 Recoil
x1.15 Crit Mult
x1.25 Mag
Radiation Melee

Personally I would mod as follows:

Barrel: Ionic Barrel III - only because you will get a 2.1 Crit Multiplier when modded thusly and the recoil reduction roll threw it over the top for me.
Mag: Fast Action Reloader III - I always put these on SAWs - my current orange SAW has a 2.8 Reload speed (Quartermaster with a Fast Action Reloader)
Sight: Assault Scope III (after DLC this adds Aim Accuracy without a scope - way better than a Stab Sight which will help more with hip shooting weapons)
Stock: External Recoil Reduction III

duction
08-18-2013, 12:58 PM
dont you think the trigger % increase will be handy when the nano cool down comes into play and powerbore because of the nerf coming up? these are the 2 things that make me question what id put on it! thanks for the recomendation though, food for thought

Overtkill21
08-18-2013, 01:04 PM
dont you think the trigger % increase will be handy when the nano cool down comes into play and powerbore because of the nerf coming up? these are the 2 things that make me question what id put on it! thanks for the recomendation though, food for thought

Well power bore would help for wilder shots - but a 2.1 Crit Mul vs. a 1.8 is a difference in Damage on crit of 890.4 DMG on Crit with an Ionic vs 763.2 DMG on Crit with the Power Bore

The power bore will only bump up the damage up about 25 points (all of the above based on current damage numbers) vs an almost 130 DMG point increase in the Crit Damage.

If you're using this with Overcharge then the massive recoil reduction will certainly ensure you get more Crit - burst fire it.

AS far as the mag - with a whopping 4+ seconds reload - anything to get that lower is needed imo, and it would outweigh the extra Syphon proc every so often.

Notturno
08-18-2013, 01:24 PM
x0.75 Recoil
x1.15 Crit Mult
x1.25 Mag
Radiation Melee

That's a fantastic weapon, congratulations on the drop/trade. What's the synergy on it, and the leveled bonus (if that isn't included in your description)?

I think for the barrel, it really depends on what you're doing. If you are just doing general PvE content, then everyone suggesting the Ionic Barrel is on point if you can reliably hit weak spots. However, I personally contend that the Power Bore is a better option solely because it provides consistent returns. While the Ionic Barrel certainly gives you a slightly higher critical damage total, failing to land a critical hit produces zero benefit from that modification. I think over a period of time, you will get more consistent returns from a Power Bore. Something to think about.

As for sights, that's really a matter of preference. Your stock was obviously the better choice over the melee bonus.

As for your magazine, I'm curious as to why you chose that. I think with the nano effect changes reducing your trigger rate to once every 1.5 seconds at maximum, decreasing the time where that modification actually plays a role in your combat. While I certainly think it isn't wasted, have you considered the potential of other options? I think using a High Capacity Magazine is a really interesting choice on SAWs, particularly if you are running the Preparedness perk; with a 9% magazine reload every second the weapon is holstered, increasing your magazine size actually returns more ammo per second. It can almost eliminate the need to reload the weapon, which is the SAW's biggest weakness. Alternatively, if you aren't one to use a secondary weapon much (or it has a small clip size), then the Fast Action Reloader is a good all around option.

duction
08-18-2013, 01:31 PM
thanks, it doesnt have a synergy because of the weapon level but im not really to botherd :)
the saw doesnt even move when i fire it it just stays still even without overcharge!

the extended mag sounds good, it holds 106 in the clip already

Notturno
08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
thanks, it doesnt have a synergy because of the weapon level but im not really to botherd :)
the saw doesnt even move when i fire it it just stays still even without overcharge!

the extended mag sounds good, it holds 106 in the clip already

Depending on the way the bonuses are calculated, you're either getting 128, 149, or 156 total rounds in your magazine. Either way, that's a pretty healthy boost. I think running SAW with Preparedness is the way to go, that reload animation is brutal.