PDA

View Full Version : Should I pre-order last minute?

Yoko1337
03-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi there folks,

I understand very well that this might be the wrong place to ask this question, but should I still pre-order this game?
FrankieOnPCin1080p posted some PC gameplay of Defiance today, and it looked really enjoyable.
Mind you, I think this game is far from good looking, but if the gameplay is alright I really don't mind, I play 8-bit **** any day if it's good :P.

I kind of need a push from someone who can portray some of the good and bad things about this game.

I've been playing Battlefield 3 for a long time now, and reached a point at which it no longer excites me(I finished the multiplayer mode so to speak), despite all of its DLCs, and Battlefield 4 looks like it's gonna be too mediocre to buy for more than 20 bucks.

Honestly, Defiance looks a bit like Guild Wars 2 with guns(but uglier). I pre-ordered GW2 and were very busy in Japan during its launch and for two weeks after. When I returned, all my friends who played in the Beta with me already capped out their characters and quit the game. So I had nobody fun to play with and essentially never touched the game again. 70Ä down the drain.

Now shooters are of course a different thing, I could shoot stuff all day solo if it's fun. And since we apparently also deal with humanoid, fleshy enemies in this world I could be easily satisfied with just pasting their brains across the landscape with a bolt-action sniper rifle.
This game has gore, yes?

I'm a sucker for pre-order stuffs you get for free, but can someone give me their opinion whether or not the Deluxe Edition @ Steam is worth the extra 20Ä?
Do boosts deplete regardless of whether you play?

Is it worth it?
Does it have a long lasting appeal?
How large is the world? Does it compare to GuildWars2?
How mature is the playerbase? Sick of the kiddies I get to deal with all day every day in Call of Duty and Battlefield.
How hard will it be to find a nice guild or at least a few buddies on EU servers?

Hope to get some helpful and inspirational replies here. Tried on the steam forums but apparently nobody there gives a damn.

Cheers~

Raserei
03-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Defiance is by far the best MMO I have played in the past few years. It has tons of room for improvement, but Trion Worlds will oblige.

If you purchase the game with the mentality that you will get a fun game but with room for improvement, you will have made the right choice. If you purchase the game expecting the perfect game, you will be disappointed.

If I were to rate the beta (which isn't even the full game), I would give it an 8/10. Like I said, future tweaks, updates, additions, and so on can make it a 9/10+..... I have faith in Trion Worlds.

Delphos
03-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Man if you trully thinks this game "is far from good looking" you need to review ALL your concepts about graphics and art, because Defiance looks totally awesome!

Avenger
03-31-2013, 02:51 PM
I really enjoyed my time in the beta, and even though it only represented a small portion of the overall gameworld it was enough to convince me to give it a go and preordered the game.

All I can suggest is that you take some time to look through the forums and see if you like what you find. Have a look at some of the videos, either official ones or others on youtube showing footage from the beta to see if it appeals to you.

Many of your final questions are stuff we simply can't answer yet as no-one has access to the full game.

LadyChaos
03-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi there folks,

I understand very well that this might be the wrong place to ask this question, but should I still pre-order this game?
FrankieOnPCin1080p posted some PC gameplay of Defiance today, and it looked really enjoyable.
Mind you, I think this game is far from good looking, but if the gameplay is alright I really don't mind, I play 8-bit **** any day if it's good :P.

I kind of need a push from someone who can portray some of the good and bad things about this game.

I've been playing Battlefield 3 for a long time now, and reached a point at which it no longer excites me(I finished the multiplayer mode so to speak), despite all of its DLCs, and Battlefield 4 looks like it's gonna be too mediocre to buy for more than 20 bucks.

Honestly, Defiance looks a bit like Guild Wars 2 with guns(but uglier). I pre-ordered GW2 and were very busy in Japan during its launch and for two weeks after. When I returned, all my friends who played in the Beta with me already capped out their characters and quit the game. So I had nobody fun to play with and essentially never touched the game again. 70€ down the drain.

Now shooters are of course a different thing, I could shoot stuff all day solo if it's fun. And since we apparently also deal with humanoid, fleshy enemies in this world I could be easily satisfied with just pasting their brains across the landscape with a bolt-action sniper rifle.
This game has gore, yes?

I'm a sucker for pre-order stuffs you get for free, but can someone give me their opinion whether or not the Deluxe Edition @ Steam is worth the extra 20€?
Do boosts deplete regardless of whether you play?

Is it worth it?
Does it have a long lasting appeal?
How large is the world? Does it compare to GuildWars2?
How mature is the playerbase? Sick of the kiddies I get to deal with all day every day in Call of Duty and Battlefield.
How hard will it be to find a nice guild or at least a few buddies on EU servers?

Hope to get some helpful and inspirational replies here. Tried on the steam forums but apparently nobody there gives a damn.

Cheers~

I'm also a BF2/3 fan myself as well as GW2. I was in the same boat of maxing fast and not finding anything but the PvP exciting about GW2. I did not participate in the PvP for Beta but many will pipe in to give you feed back. The thing that carries over like GW2 is that no one is a particular "role" not a healer tank etc. You chose you're weaps based on what you need to do and are not locked to any weapon choices. Your weapon skills and weapons themselves actually level up where as your charecter will advance in skills it's not a standard level. Mobs don't have levels etc because you never "level".

The graphics are not as tight as you might expect from GW2 but also those are beta and alpha images you might have seen. This is multi platform friendly as in the xbox sees nearly the same thing the PC does. There is a ton of content for solo life, we only saw the first zone and it covered moderately a couple days. Events scale to the number of people who show up so weather its 1 or 5 people, it should still be challenging.

there is blood, head-shots are enjoyable, mostly blood I don't think we see brain matter. I got DD personally cuz I like pretty stuff and lots of inv space. Inventory space is limited by a lot but upgradable via the arkfall codes and in game purchases with cash or game cash.

Hope this was helpful and happy hunting~!

S4DN3SS
03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Pre-Ordering would be a good idea because if you are just gonna buy it on release day, you won't get some of the cool items you get with Pre-Ordering.

Yoko1337
03-31-2013, 03:07 PM
@Delphos
My concept of visual design is spoiled by beautiful things like Crysis 1 and 3, Far Cry 2 and 3, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim etc. Things with stunning, varied environments, great character design, high-res textures. From the videos I've seen of Defiance the textures look a bit muddy, and the environment from the beta seems mostly gray/brown-ish... post apoc stuff, but that was to be expected, so I didn't really expect some amazing crystal caverns and jungles and stuff.
That being said, I play Biohazard 6 and it has some of the most atrocious visuals I've ever seen, I still love it tho.

@Avenger
I figured some of my questions may be a bit to far ahead, but I'd rather people do some pot shots at them rather than getting info that leaves me wanting.

@LadyChaos
This was incredibly helpful, thank you very much.
It's good to get some input from people with similar gaming history.

spectrum
03-31-2013, 03:22 PM
just do it dammit!!!

Distrance
03-31-2013, 03:31 PM
You're just going to waste your $60 on something else eventually. :)

Yoko1337
03-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Indeed, I just watched a great review someone sent me(thx) and found out a friend already got the game and she forced me to get it too so I guess this'll be my new MMO.

Thanks to y'all.

Cheers~

MacGrube
03-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Indeed, I just watched a great review someone sent me(thx) and found out a friend already got the game and she forced me to get it too so I guess this'll be my new MMO.

Thanks to y'all.

Cheers~

Good for you, I played a lot of Bf3 and I think this game is better.

Sith4Ever
03-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Just get the 60 dollar edition If you don't like it your not losing that much money. I bet you will enjoy the game though.

LadyChaos
03-31-2013, 04:59 PM
You're just going to waste your $60 on something else eventually. :)

This is EXACTLY my mindset every pre-order no lie.... but went with the DD here I don't usually get the bigger package unless it has some stuff I really like.

Mustaine
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
You're better off spending your money at this awesome piece called "Defiance", than spending it at a new Call of Duty full of screaming fanboys.

Just my 2 cents, but hey. DO ET

or else my foot..

Seems like you bought it, good choice. Now I wont have to worry about my foot becoming brown and dirty.

duction
03-31-2013, 05:04 PM
you can always sell it on ebay in a years time for more then you paid for it

Arinzal
03-31-2013, 05:14 PM
there is blood, head-shots are enjoyable, mostly blood I don't think we see brain matter. I got DD personally cuz I like pretty stuff and lots of inv space. Inventory space is limited by a lot but upgradable via the arkfall codes and in game purchases with cash or game cash.

also you inventory space increase over time with rating increases.

LadyChaos
03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
You're better off spending your money at this awesome piece called "Defiance", than spending it at a new Call of Duty full of screaming fanboys.

Just my 2 cents, but hey. DO ET

or else my foot..

Seems like you bought it, good choice. Now I wont have to worry about my foot becoming brown and dirty.

My kids keep trying to get me to play Black ops with them... I've compromised and will play BF3 PC with em...
I would definatly say I like defiance btter than what little CoD experience I have and it's got enough BF concepts in it to compete with that genre for me and yet add the MMO experience.

Defy
03-31-2013, 06:00 PM
I think its worth it so that you get all the preoder bonuses

Delphos
03-31-2013, 07:29 PM
@Delphos
My concept of visual design is spoiled by beautiful things like Crysis 1 and 3, Far Cry 2 and 3, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim etc. Things with stunning, varied environments, great character design, high-res textures. From the videos I've seen of Defiance the textures look a bit muddy, and the environment from the beta seems mostly gray/brown-ish... post apoc stuff, but that was to be expected, so I didn't really expect some amazing crystal caverns and jungles and stuff.
That being said, I play Biohazard 6 and it has some of the most atrocious visuals I've ever seen, I still love it tho.

@Avenger
I figured some of my questions may be a bit to far ahead, but I'd rather people do some pot shots at them rather than getting info that leaves me wanting.

@LadyChaos
This was incredibly helpful, thank you very much.
It's good to get some input from people with similar gaming history.

Man Defiance is IMPOSSIBLE to compare with games like Guild Wars 2, that game takes place in an entire small world created just for the game, and Defiance takes palce in just ONE CITY of our REAL world. Much lager territory than you can imagine! You just canít put all kind of ambients in San Francisco, as itís just one city among millions!

Pain
03-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Hope to see ya around. This game has A LOT of potential and I feel it will live up to it.

Teizar
03-31-2013, 08:03 PM
In beta it was the smoothest large number shooter ive seen sense MAG for the PS3. I was at a Larger arkfall there had to be at least 100+ people on my screen and didn't lag a thing, if you like large FPS/TPS in a mmorpg kinda environment this is most defently a buy now if you are unsure if you are ganna like it get the cheapest version available. If you play it for more then 10 hours $60 single player games average USD- then you can say that at least you got your moneys worth

Xyr3s
03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
tbh the graphics in defaince are noting great..... gw2, tera, has way better art styles and graphics.... even the facial expressions of the characters in cutscenes in those games are better.... tbh even lineage2 with all settings on max has better grahics i thinnk lol.... but like the rest of the world likes to say... graphics dont maketh the game..... a point i only prtially agree on even tho i pre-ordered defaince and cant wait to play it :)

my point being.... for a 2013 mmorpg the graphics in defiance and character animation is pretty dated.