PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding ego and drop rate

Whisena
08-18-2013, 03:50 PM
I did some searches on the forum as well as wikia but couldn't find any related topic.

However, when I started the game, I get purple stuff from arkfall and tier box all the time. As my ego level increases, I notice that I veryu rarely find any purple, mostly green and sometimes blue.

My question is, does higher ego lower your chance of getting purple? Thanks.

Arsenic_Touch
08-18-2013, 04:21 PM
No, ego level has no reflection on drop rates. It's all random.

Whisena
08-18-2013, 04:45 PM
How about major arkfall? It doesn't effect the items you get from the end of major arkfall? Regardless, thanks for answering.

Arsenic_Touch
08-18-2013, 04:55 PM
How about major arkfall? It doesn't effect the items you get from the end of major arkfall? Regardless, thanks for answering.

Major arkfall rewards are random as well.

Whisena
08-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Just bad luck I suppose then, thanks for answering. ;)

crasher
08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Major arkfall rewards are random as well.
What we don't actually know is whether the RNG for drop events has been 'tuned' over this time frame, and if so, how.

Orbital
08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Since hitting 5k, i have rarely (if ever) seen purple specials up anymore though. I saw one on my 2500ish alt so I know they still pop up sometimes, it is odd I haven't seen any since I hit 5k though.

apathyUK
08-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Ditto Purples are rare as rocking horse poop too me now.
And I have lost count of the number of tier 4 lockboxes that i have opened this week alone that have had blue as the highest.

Necrophia
08-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I did some searches on the forum as well as wikia but couldn't find any related topic.

However, when I started the game, I get purple stuff from arkfall and tier box all the time. As my ego level increases, I notice that I veryu rarely find any purple, mostly green and sometimes blue.

My question is, does higher ego lower your chance of getting purple? Thanks.

I read that quality of drops is set to be a percentage of a game population. That means, as all the players in the game, particularly the veterans, get more and more inventory space and stockpile more and more rare items, no more rare items will drop for ANYone. Which means newer players especially are sh!taco out of luck. Newer players can *never* catch up to veteran players in terms of quality of gear. The only way this could balance itself out is if items had an expiration date. Instead, it's the opposite: veteran players may put in a couple hundred hours and stockpile a full inventory of the rarest gear, then they get bored and take a vacation, play another game, quit... etc.... now all those rare loots in sit in their inventory forever counting against the drop rate for everyone else.

The good news is, who cares about rare gear? One, or two, or maybe even 5% bonus damage is nothing to get excited about.... when in our whole lives have we ever given a crap about a couple percent? Unless it's a tax increase, people tend to think of this as insignificant. (Then again, some people don't even mind small tax increases...)

So yes, the longer you play the less and less chance you, and everyone else has of finding the best gear.

Arsenic_Touch
08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I read that quality of drops is set to be a percentage of a game population. That means, as all the players in the game, particularly the veterans, get more and more inventory space and stockpile more and more rare items, no more rare items will drop for ANYone. Which means newer players especially are sh!taco out of luck. Newer players can *never* catch up to veteran players in terms of quality of gear. The only way this could balance itself out is if items had an expiration date. Instead, it's the opposite: veteran players may put in a couple hundred hours and stockpile a full inventory of the rarest gear, then they get bored and take a vacation, play another game, quit... etc.... now all those rare loots in sit in their inventory forever counting against the drop rate for everyone else.

The good news is, who cares about rare gear? One, or two, or maybe even 5% bonus damage is nothing to get excited about.... when in our whole lives have we ever given a crap about a couple percent? Unless it's a tax increase, people tend to think of this as insignificant. (Then again, some people don't even mind small tax increases...)

So yes, the longer you play the less and less chance you, and everyone else has of finding the best gear.

Not even remotely true.

PseudoCool
08-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Yup.. amazingly, I have to agree with Arsenic here.. this isn't even close to true.

Example: I opened up two T4 boxes in the last two days.. both had an orange, one had an orange and a purple. Now that being said, the majority of my T4 and T3 boxes that I've opened are nothing but blues. However, with the way the game's stats work, there really isn't much of a difference in Blues to Oranges from what I've seen. Infact, I've seen multiple blues that have better stats and synergies than many oranges. The "legendary" part of the Orange Weapons.. well.. their not really that legendary in my opinion, but I guess it depends on how you play.

Necrophia
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Not even remotely true.

For a person who apparently spends his whole life on this forum, you don't appear to have paid attention. I've been here for 2 days and I found numerous posts containing information that was the basis of my post.

Yes, it is verified by GMs that the rarity of drops is set as a percentage of the population, this means the more there is the less there will be, until new players come, and then it will temporarily increase drop rates. Why didn't you know this? 3000+ posts, you must post more than you read. I won't go find your sources for you, find them yourself.

Edit: okay, so it was too easy... so i changed my mind and decided to share in case someone else wanted to see.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?118782-Response-about-legendarys-drop-rates-and-more&p=1122663&viewfull=1#post1122663

Arsenic_Touch
08-20-2013, 02:16 PM
2 days and already embarrassing yourself by getting snippy with someone who actually knows what they're talking about. That's just so precious.

For starters, trick, the developer, actually posted the drop rates and how they work. http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?115023-The-Drop-Rates-and-Loot-system-is-Broken&p=1123853#post1123853

Secondly, dahanese already addressed your little theory a long time ago and it was nonsense then, it's nonsense now. Nice try though.

Now how do you feel that you got an attitude for no reason? I suggest you simmer down before you find yourself being swatted by one of the mods.

Zoranth
08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
For a person who apparently spends his whole life on this forum, you don't appear to have paid attention. I've been here for 2 days and I found numerous posts containing information that was the basis of my post.

Yes, it is verified by GMs that the rarity of drops is set as a percentage of the population, this means the more there is the less there will be, until new players come, and then it will temporarily increase drop rates. Why didn't you know this? 3000+ posts, you must post more than you read. I won't go find your sources for you, find them yourself.

Edit: okay, so it was too easy... so i changed my mind and decided to share in case someone else wanted to see.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?118782-Response-about-legendarys-drop-rates-and-more&p=1122663&viewfull=1#post1122663

For a person who has only been on here for 2 days, I highly suggest you spend at least couple more months playing the game, searching the forums, reading and learning before going off on someone who has so much more to offer this community than yourself.

3rd party info or he said, she said has absolutely no credibility such as the link you posted. If the person posting the actual information is not a DEV or CM then it is not a credible source, Period!

Also, Live Chat is not a "Credible Source" for information on the game mechanics such as drop rates. IF you want to know when a DEV or CM has something to say on a topic (Credible Information) I highly suggest you look here: http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Dev-Tracker

Please, by all means, give us a link that shows where a DEV or CM officially stated the information you provided is a fact. Until then, try doing some research or applying some of your own science to try and figure it out. Just to point out, my experiment was based on what a CM officially stated and in the end, what was stated at that time by a CM was proven to be incorrect by a DEV at the conclusion of my testing. Here is the link to my test thread: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?115023-The-Drop-Rates-and-Loot-system-is-Broken

Just so you know for future reference, this is a road that has been traveled many times by many players and no matter how many times you put a hill, bridge, twist or curve in it, it will always lead to the same place. That place being Factual Information based on CM's, DEV's and quantifiable player research not only from the forums but also through 100's if not 1,000's of hours of game play.

So, instead of basing your statements on a "my son's uncle's cousin's sisters niece said this" type of post. Try using the search function of the forums or better yet, do some original research yourself.