PDA

View Full Version : Deleted thread about the Arena?

Saluki
08-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Ok long story short for context:

Got game on day 4 and played every day for months. Got bored with content but still came on everyday for daily contracts. Waited patiently for DLC. Found out DLC wasnt coming until the end of July. Knew for sure that DLC would NOT hit end of July. Stopped playing altogether as my spirit was broken.

I check the forums to keep pace to see if/when I would play again. Saw the whole Dahanese "placate the angry mob with a new name and face" routine. Saw that DLC was finally given a release date of Aug 20.

But NOW I find out that the one thing I tried (unsuccessfully) to get my buddies to get excited for back in June (Arena mode!) was a lie? Here I was trying to convince clan mates and friends to not quit defiance because the "cool" stuff was still coming and that even if not all of us bought the paid DLC we can still play together because It says that people with DLC can invite non DLC purchasers into the Arena!

But the Arena is SOLO??????? SOLO????? I dont even understand how anyone at trion even let the idea of having the Arena be a solo adventure get to reality. It is so ridiculous as to be absurd. Why do you even begin work on a huge solo content project when the game you published is MULTIPLAYER? I do not understand.

I guess TPTB at trion said: The heck with what we planned, the heck with what we've said, we cant make Arena mode multiplayer cause we dont have the ____________ [manpower, money, expertise, time, desire (fill in the blank with your best excuse)]. But we cant just admit that to people, so we'll just tell them its solo and that will be that. If they complain we'll just delete their threads, problem solved.

I say that because someone started a thread asking about this topic, and by the time I read through the first page the thread was deleted as I tried to go to page 2.

Why would you delete that thread? Why are we not allowed to discuss the problems that exist with this game and the DLC? WHY THE CENSORSHIP??? Is it just the thought that if you censor all dissenting opinion people will stop thinking that way? That if you just sweep concerns under the table they will go away?

You have disappointed almost everyone of your defiance customers in some way from the beginning and now your plan is to hide that disappointment so it is not seen by others? What is the rational behind that?

SHADOWBROKER
08-19-2013, 03:24 PM
thats crazy stuff, that somthing that big would be solo in this kinda game is a lil nuts. maybe they will update that later and we will get to play as a team thing with sweet loot! ooh its good to dream. but i dont know maybe that will be in our next dlc for content.

Gomly
08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
It's a conspiracy, none shall silence the arena thread committee .....

Cavadus
08-19-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Vlt-lpVOY

Deathwish
08-19-2013, 04:27 PM
I think the game plan was to release the Arenas solo first, to make sure they got the instancing and such correct and then add team versions or update the current ones to allow teams at a later date. Since it is just an instance, it should not be a stretch to allow team instances if they so choose. They may have had some kind of latency or draw distance problems with 4 vs the mass of mobs.

If you haven't noticed in Coop, the 4 mans generally have a very low number of enemies to face at once, I think the most you ever face at one time is limited to a certain number to not bog down game play at least for the consoles and sadly that limitation effects PC. And my system may not be top of the line, I did notice performance problems during the arenas when it reached a certain number of mobs on the screen/field. Now extrapolate that to 4 ppl and it may cause problems they don't know how to deal with yet and may be a limitation of the graphics engine they choose to use.

Go to any arkfall with over 20 hunters there and you notice slight performance hits due to the way they handle things, this same problem would extend into arenas.

Seeing 8 man Raids or 12 or 16, may not be possible with their current engines technology and the restraints shackled to by consoles.

Sanguinesun
08-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I think the game plan was to release the Arenas solo first.

Can just stop right there. That's been disproven already. It was originally intended to be otherwise and then retroactively change in continuity to reflect the "solo" aspect. All indications have been that they ran out of time and resources to make it as originally advertised.

Deathwish
08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Granted it was stated at one point that it was wanted to be Team play, but I think that quip was based on if they had time and resources, which as we all know, they don't have. Especially if the graphics engine does not allow for it.

16 v 16 Freightyard might be your actual maximum number of mobs on screen at one time in an instance. Now imagine if all 32 players were in the same area at the same time and not spread out of 3 points.

4v24 Arenas might be fun but again could be a problem graphically esp for consoles. And as we know now, if it don't work for all 3, it doesn't get put in.

Saluki
08-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Can just stop right there. That's been disproven already. It was originally intended to be otherwise and then retroactively change in continuity to reflect the "solo" aspect. All indications have been that they ran out of time and resources to make it as originally advertised.

NOT planned to be solo. Read this: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/

Sanguinesun
08-19-2013, 08:15 PM
NOT planned to be solo. Read this: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/

Ayup and it was also stated in more than one friday/wednesday twitch stream around the same time.

Sadly those streams all were "lost" for the last 4 months until the last few weeks just before the restructuring announcements.

Flank
08-19-2013, 08:33 PM
So the graphic engine can't handle Co-Op Areanas?
Then explain Shadow Wars? Sieges?.. these must run on a different engine.

WARDUKE
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
That's what you get for thinking this was a MMO :P

Enjoy your single player online game DLC mate.

Atticus Batman
08-19-2013, 09:28 PM
The arena thread was closed because somebody decided to start insulting EVERYBODY else in that thread for NOT agreeing with him. it may suck but it happens when a troll gets called out by EVERYONE and can't take what he dished out.