PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday morning downtime for the DLC update!

OverloadUT
08-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone,

You might have noticed that Morgana posted the official downtime notice for tomorrow's DLC update:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?124166-DLC-Update-8-20-13-9-45-AM-PDT-4-45-PM-GMT-All-Platforms-Except-EU-PS3

I wanted to give an official place to discuss this, and also let you know in case you don't check the other forum.

I've seen several people ask if the DLC will be released at midnight. The answer is no, as we need to do a full server and client update. We're going to do that during business hours to have as many hands on deck as possible in case computers decide to be... computers. :)

Zugo
08-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Are business hours 8AM PST?

Grymms
Can we get some patch notes already please and thanks not a partial list but a full list of all changes

Your seriously gonna wait till the day the DLC drops to release patch notes......lame

Codex
Awesome. Here's hoping there won't be too many instances of computers being.... computers

Zugo
08-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Nevermind my questions I see you guys have a time of 9:45AM listed.

Dracian
08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info !

Fortunately, I'll still be @ work during maintenance :)

OverloadUT
Are business hours 8AM PST?

You have made me realize that I don't know what our official business hours are, if we even have any! Some people are definitely here at 8am regularly, but far more people arrive between 9am and 10am. Depends on what department they're in :)

SHADOWBROKER
thank you very much for this post and glad to see that its still going to happen. sweet bro sweet

OverloadUT
08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Can we get some patch notes already please and thanks not a partial list but a full list of all changes

Your seriously gonna wait till the day the DLC drops to release patch notes......lame

We've posted the draft patch notes which covers pretty much everything. We will be posting a new thread of notes tomorrow once we confirm that they're good to go!

Iceberg
08-19-2013, 03:07 PM
You have made me realize that I don't know what our official business hours are, if we even have any! Some people are definitely here at 8am regularly, but far more people arrive between 9am and 10am. Depends on what department they're in :)

This is pretty good, like your style OverLoadUT, only question I have is well those affected by the 64 bit windows update bug be able to play once the DLC and patch are live?

shadowkiller958
08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
@OverloadUT Is the DLC downloaded through the patcher or through xbox live like other games? and How big is the DLC file? (this is important for those of us without fibre broadband)

JxSiN
08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
We've posted the draft patch notes which covers pretty much everything. We will be posting a new thread of notes tomorrow once we confirm that they're good to go!

I have a question about the draft notes. How many are old patch notes from previous patches? I've spotted a few that could be such as breaking down mods to salvage and increased scrip at emergencies.

piedlpiper
08-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Not lame... They posted a draft of the patch notes, so, posting actual patch notes on same day as release give those players with no life something to do while the patch is put into place.

NomadPhx
08-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Hey everyone,

You might have noticed that Morgana posted the official downtime notice for tomorrow's DLC update:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?124166-DLC-Update-8-20-13-9-45-AM-PDT-4-45-PM-GMT-All-Platforms-Except-EU-PS3

I wanted to give an official place to discuss this, and also let you know in case you don't check the other forum.

I've seen several people ask if the DLC will be released at midnight. The answer is no, as we need to do a full server and client update. We're going to do that during business hours to have as many hands on deck as possible in case computers decide to be... computers. :)

will the premium content be available upon update/patch or will us console jockeys have to wait until our respective storefronts update?

GiantInMaine
08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
will the premium content be available upon update/patch or will us console jockeys have to wait until our respective storefronts update?

Good question I've been going on the assumption I'm gonna have to wait till ps3 store updates. Maybe we'll get to do the new stuff that comes for free though.

Ali Mente
08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
You used it at times, this release also in local time. AM PDT / AM GMT? 4:45 pm GMT? in Germany? I do not want a whole novel but as with the AM / PM behaves

Speedmetal890
08-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Hehe glad I took the day of work iver here in the UK not :p

DLC should be ready 9pm GMT hehe going to be bored...

Lesson here kids is don't skive work for your favourite video game.

Best of luck for the launch tomorrow guys!

Market
08-19-2013, 03:34 PM
get a bottle of champagne, the bow of a boat, and launch this thing proper!!

InO wishes you the best of luck tomorrow!!! Hopefully computers will behave instead of be computers... ;)

Detoxia
08-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Where can i buy the dlc (on console) if i don't have the seasons pass? In the console store or will their be a spot to buy it on the game menu?

OverloadUT
08-19-2013, 03:42 PM

The stuff that requires purchase will likely need to wait until the store updates. But if you bought the season pass, you should already be good to go as our servers will know that you own it already. This is me hypothesizing though; I could be wrong!

nikra
Hey you ps3 EU guys, no need to worry, all of EU wont get it till the 21st either, judging normal downtimes last a while longer than they say and the ages patching. 9/10 pm in the UK for dlc to patch and stuff, not amusing at all.

OverloadUT
Where can i buy the dlc (on console) if i don't have the seasons pass? In the console store or will their be a spot to buy it on the game menu?

It'll be available in the console stores, not in-game.

Banged
08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Just to be thorough for us slow people :p lol Will dlc be live at 9:45 pdt or your shutting down to update at 9:45 with a four hour window of downtime? Thanks

omega32x
08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
I will definitely probably reinstall the game to see what the new DLC brings but to be honest its taken so long just to push this first one out Trion has overhyped and disappointed quite a few with its current features. A reskin Marilyn Manson race and a shiny new lightsaber blade alone wont be enough get me to purchase actual DLC content im afraid. It would take me entire quest lines and campaigns to get my interest 100%. Not little tiny snippets of just one or 3 quest lol. I will still be checking this out regardless iv just been very disappointed with this game so fare.

Smoky
08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I asked in another thread...but how big will the download be...approximately.

GiantInMaine
08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
I will definitely probably

lol nothing like knowing what you're gonna do

omega32x
08-19-2013, 04:47 PM
lol nothing like knowing what you're gonna do

I know right? Its like having the villain tell the hero there ENTIRE evil plot of what they are about to do before they do it to give the hero EVERY opportunity to stop them in advance.

SymbolicGamer
08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
For Xbox 360, Season pass content is usually only available through the in-game store. For most games, if you try to download the pack individually on the Xbox 360 Marketplace, you will get charged as if you didn't own the pass.

Because the Xbox marketplace normally updates around 6 AM eastern time, the Castithan Charge Pack could be available for purchase before Defiance updates. This has happened before with other games where season pass holders had to wait to access their content, while people who didn't buy the pass could download and play as soon as it was released.

Because Defiance is a persistent world game and they handle data differently if people are able to buy the DLC early, they would just be downloading an unlock key and won't be able to access the content until the game is patched like everyone else.

If the Xbox Live marketplace does update six hours (10 hours counting server downtime) before the game, there's going to be a lot of confused people.

Be careful to read what you're downloading off the marketplace tomorrow, and don't expect to play the new content before Trion flips the switch.

OverloadUT
08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
I asked in another thread...but how big will the download be...approximately.

Got an answer!

On PC, the patch will be approximately 5GB, and on console it will be 1GB. The size of the patch can vary from person to person due to wacky technical reasons though, so these are only approximates!

SymbolicGamer
08-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Overlord, can you confirm that people will not be able to play the Castithan content until after the game is patched (if the Xbox 360 Marketplace updates before Trion) , because the patch contains the dlc data, and what we purchase is just an unlock key?

joejoe860
08-19-2013, 05:41 PM
So by Friday the game should work

Henyachingywhy
08-19-2013, 05:47 PM
So by Friday the game should work

I don't care if the DLC has bugs or not. As long as I get to hold a Castithan Blade tomorrow I'm fine.

Rasczak
08-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Taking bets now on evening down time to patch fix the patch . . . .

Iceberg
08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
So no answer then to my post on page one Overload?

Edit: Looks like morgana got the info out.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?121921-***-Attention-Windows-64-bit-Users-***-Update-8-16-Windows-fixes-causes-crash.&p=1178403#post1178403

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Taking bets now on evening down time to patch fix the patch . . . .

After 4 hours downtime people will still be patching well into the night.

Grymms
08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Not lame... They posted a draft of the patch notes, so, posting actual patch notes on same day as release give those players with no life something to do while the patch is put into place.

You mean the draft patch notes that include notes from the shotgun nerf patch.....those patch notes that contain info from other patches. You mean that unprofessional list of half information, those draft patch notes.

Trion motto "Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow"

Arsenic_Touch
08-19-2013, 08:30 PM
5 gb on pc... while 1 gb on consoles... er.... that confuses the hell out of me.

Youkai Risu
08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
5 gb on pc... while 1 gb on consoles... er.... that confuses the hell out of me.

Yah... Seeing detailed notes on pc side would be interesting. Obviously they can handle more, I might go to the pc for defiance.

Arsenic_Touch
08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Yah... Seeing detailed notes on pc side would be interesting. Obviously they can handle more, I might go to the pc for defiance.

5 gbs with what we tested on the alpha server... just kind of boggles the mind.

You see, my base defiance install is at 11.1 gb.
The alpha client is at 12.4 gb.

Just doesn't seem right to me.

Iceberg
08-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Maybe its hidden stuff thrown in, we get to search around to find it out and post about it for the next couple days. Or it could just be more buggy coding not mentioned in the patch notes that takes the game down for 24 hours.

Knightmage
08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Friends, after years of playing online games you should already know that Patch day = Hell day, and never believe the estimates of given down time because Murphy will always throw a monkey wrench into the works. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is all patched nice a proper, and that it works without glitches, and the log in server doesn't have a heart attack, or the databases don't flush themselves and it's up at the promised time, but honestly major content = major programming. No matter how much you test internally, or on a PTR server there is still going to be a problem when it comes to real world integration with data that can't be corrupted (i.e. our character files and such.)... Be patient and let the nice people work, and try not to maim the messengers when they have to announce the bad news of delays...

hardy83
08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Got an answer!

On PC, the patch will be approximately 5GB, and on console it will be 1GB. The size of the patch can vary from person to person due to wacky technical reasons though, so these are only approximates!

Why is the PC version so much bigger?

Are you just compressing the data more for the consoles?

Atticus Batman
08-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Maybe its hidden stuff thrown in, we get to search around to find it out and post about it for the next couple days. Or it could just be more buggy coding not mentioned in the patch notes that takes the game down for 24 hours.

Part of it is the patch to fix the issues 64 bit users are having most likely.

Atticus Batman
08-19-2013, 09:53 PM
You mean the draft patch notes that include notes from the shotgun nerf patch.....those patch notes that contain info from other patches. You mean that unprofessional list of half information, those draft patch notes.

Guess you've never visited an Ea, Bioware or Bethesda foru, for patch notes? THey are big names and do the exact same thing. Heck Ea/Bioware copy and pasted all their coding from OLD game info into their newer patches on ME3 MP.

Billy Guile
08-19-2013, 11:32 PM
hey maybe i can get my apparently stupid question about the Charger answered.

nitroz76
08-20-2013, 01:38 AM
4 hours.... crap..

I gotta go to school and work before they have it up.
Then download it once i get home...

Councilworker
08-20-2013, 02:18 AM
No Defiance for me then! Shut-down for four hours is right during the time I would be normally on in the evening here in the UK.

Oh well have to find something else to do.

Elara Grimm
08-20-2013, 02:37 AM
No Defiance for me then! Shut-down for four hours is right during the time I would be normally on in the evening here in the UK.

Oh well have to find something else to do.

Same may have to resort to actually doing some productive :O

Grymms
08-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Guess you've never visited an Ea, Bioware or Bethesda foru, for patch notes? THey are big names and do the exact same thing. Heck Ea/Bioware copy and pasted all their coding from OLD game info into their newer patches on ME3 MP.

oh yeah cause last time I looked bioware, ea and bethesda were on the verge of closing, made a horrible game that cripppled the company and closed down 2 of their three branches....... can totally see the similarities

shadowkiller958
08-20-2013, 04:01 AM
@OverloadUT Is the DLC downloaded through the patcher or through xbox live like other games? and How big is the DLC file? (this is important for those of us without fibre broadband)

melkathi
08-20-2013, 04:06 AM

I would assume that downloading 5gb does not equal the install size increasing by 5gb. Instead it probably replcaces a lot of exisiting data that has been altered.
Possibly the way the patcher works for consol, it can deliver the new content with less alterations to the existing install.
But I'm not a techie, so that is just speculation.

carl Akina
08-20-2013, 04:13 AM
What a waste of time for people in UK. 4pm with 4 hours down time! Thatl leave me with about 30mins of play time before havin to get sum sleep cos i work at 5am. But hey like every one else you favour the Americans!

shadowkiller958
08-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Got an answer!

so i will only have to downlaod approx 1gb on my xbox 360 for my dlc, thats not so bad should have that downloaded in a hour and a half

Gomly
08-20-2013, 04:22 AM
What a waste of time for people in UK. 4pm with 4 hours down time! Thatl leave me with about 30mins of play time before havin to get sum sleep cos i work at 5am. But hey like every one else you favour the Americans!

As it stands, there aren't very many companies that do separate down time for us in the UK and the rest of Europe.

We get to have ours during prime time which is always fun.

shadowkiller958
08-20-2013, 04:24 AM
in fairness they said they are doing it during work hours to have everyone at hand if anything goes wrong as they are based in America its going to favour them. I feel your pain though :(

SymbolicGamer
08-20-2013, 04:35 AM

Just think of it as the perfect time to play some Saints Row IV or the new Halo 4 multiplayer pack.

Gomly
08-20-2013, 04:37 AM
Just think of it as the perfect time to play some Saints Row IV or the new Halo 4 multiplayer pack.

UK buddy, our release day is a Friday for games usually.

Saints Row doesn't come out here until the 23rd.

Tyger
08-20-2013, 04:39 AM

pffft, not sure why. Ya' can't pour 5 gallons of something into a shotglass and not expect a lil' to run over :p

SymbolicGamer
08-20-2013, 04:49 AM

That sucks.

You'll still get it before I will though. Purchased my copy of SR IV online, and didn't spring for release date delivery. I'm not impatient.

drackiller
08-20-2013, 04:49 AM
And what if we , EU PS3 players , update the game on the NA server and then play it today in the EU server!?
Would it work !?
I`ll try that to see, and if we canīt play it today in EU server, at least we can try it in the US server ;)
I think.

Sanguinesun
08-20-2013, 05:00 AM

Yep seems for me on steam its not until the 23rd either. Im not getting it now though, Im just going to wait to see how far they drop it the next big sale. Supposedly Steam's anniversary is in september and there might be some big sale then.

Wilfred300
08-20-2013, 05:04 AM
dang 4hours downtime oh well i know is worth it

Gomly
08-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Yep seems for me on steam its not until the 23rd either. Im not getting it now though, Im just going to wait to see how far they drop it the next big sale. Supposedly Steam's anniversary is in september and there might be some big sale then.

Same here fella.

My wife thought I was buying it this week but told her I was waiting for the next sale.

No point spending nearly Ģ40 when I can spend Ģ20 in a few weeks.

Ligeia
08-20-2013, 05:41 AM
And what if we , EU PS3 players , update the game on the NA server and then play it today in the EU server!?
Would it work !?
I`ll try that to see, and if we canīt play it today in EU server, at least we can try it in the US server ;)
I think.

That would be a sweet trick! :)

If they'll take down EU PS3 on Wednesday around the usual time of the weekly update (roughly around 5 PM GMT) and the update will take 4 hours we won't we able to play until late in the evening.

I'm definetely going to stand by my PS3 to try the DLC as soon as possible! I'm going to dust off my copy of Martin "A Clash of Kings" and start my Nightwatch. :D

Indra Echo
08-20-2013, 05:49 AM

No, Dahanese put out draft patch notes specifically for this.

N3gativeCr33p
08-20-2013, 05:51 AM

Impossible! That's my motto.

drackiller
08-20-2013, 06:07 AM
That would be a sweet trick! :)

If they'll take down EU PS3 on Wednesday around the usual time of the weekly update (roughly around 5 PM GMT) and the update will take 4 hours we won't we able to play until late in the evening.

I'm definetely going to stand by my PS3 to try the DLC as soon as possible! I'm going to dust off my copy of Martin "A Clash of Kings" and start my Nightwatch. :D
I`m going to play a bit in the afternoon and later i`ll change for my US account and try.
Maybe it`ll work, no harm in trying :)

PhantomSlayer5
08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Can someone tell when in eastern standard time (est) the servers will go down?

N3gativeCr33p
08-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Can someone tell when in eastern standard time (est) the servers will go down?

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?124166-DLC-Update-8-20-13-9-45-AM-PDT-4-45-PM-GMT-All-Platforms-Except-EU-PS3&p=1177999#post1177999

PhantomSlayer5
08-20-2013, 06:56 AM
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?124166-DLC-Update-8-20-13-9-45-AM-PDT-4-45-PM-GMT-All-Platforms-Except-EU-PS3&p=1177999#post1177999

that tells me pdt and gmt all the time zone converters I find are confusing as hell

Codex
08-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Add three hours to PST to get EST. Therefore, 12:45pm EST.

N3gativeCr33p
08-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Add three hours to PST to get EST. Therefore, 12:45pm EST.

^^ Yeah, what he said. Geez... it's not rocket science, people!