PDA

View Full Version : Wait what?!? Is this just a typo or misunderstanding abou the dlc?

Youkai Risu
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Date: August 20th, 2013
Time: 9:45 AM PDT/4:45 PM GMT

Why would I be waiting that long gmt time zone if California is a hour behind gmt?
Shouldn't it be 9:45am pdt and 10:45 am gmt ?!?! If not I think that sucks that gmt gets screwed

JxSiN
08-19-2013, 07:28 PM
GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. The time is right. Pacific is one hour behind mountain

Youkai Risu
08-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Oh I thought they meant general mountain time.... That makes sense then

Thomas1975
08-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Date: August 20th, 2013
Time: 9:45 AM PDT/4:45 PM GMT

Why would I be waiting that long gmt time zone if California is a hour behind gmt?
Shouldn't it be 9:45am pdt and 10:45 am gmt ?!?! If not I think that sucks that gmt gets screwed
I for one feel that if anyone is getting the raw end of this it is the people on the east coast. While you get it at 10:45 we do not get it until 12:45. By time you figure in 4 hours down time for upload at Trion (give it more like 6 because for some reason it always takes longer then they say), then the time it takes your PS3 to download client side of this (another 1 hour), then to download the DLC from the PSN. Wow by time I’m down it will be like 7pm if I’m lucky.
But the people in the EU on the PSN don’t even get it until Wednesday (due to PSN for once not Trion)
I don’t understand why Trion don’t do this in the overnight hours so we all can wake up to a brand new adventure, Kind of like an early Christmas. But that is just my thoughts. Oh well what do I know?

Dracian
08-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Yeah, timezones... They suck.

Thomas1975
08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Yeah, timezones... They suck.

I fully believe that doing the patch overnight would be better for all. My Profession is network administration and one thing I was taught was that you never want to take the server offline during a peak time. 12:45 to me is a peek time in the summer. But like I said what do I know. I have only been at this like 10 years.

Billy Guile
08-19-2013, 11:29 PM
that means... 2245 local for me :-/

JxSiN
08-19-2013, 11:53 PM
that means... 2245 local for me :-/

That would suck if you had PT from 0400-0600 the next day

Tekrunner
08-20-2013, 01:02 AM
I fully believe that doing the patch overnight would be better for all. My Profession is network administration and one thing I was taught was that you never want to take the server offline during a peak time. 12:45 to me is a peek time in the summer. But like I said what do I know. I have only been at this like 10 years.

My Profession is computer programmer and one thing I was taught was that you never want to take the server offline while only the two guys who drew the short straws are in the office. Only critical applications are taken down during the night, and well, let's face it, a game isn't a critical application.

duction
08-20-2013, 02:08 AM
4:45 gmt... Suits me fine that's the time I walk in from work lol.

Lasse B
08-20-2013, 02:23 AM
My Profession is computer programmer and one thing I was taught was that you never want to take the server offline while only the two guys who drew the short straws are in the office. Only critical applications are taken down during the night, and well, let's face it, a game isn't a critical application.

That's a good one. The software that's supposed to at least partially generate their income isn't critical.

Gomly
08-20-2013, 03:21 AM
4:45 gmt... Suits me fine that's the time I walk in from work lol.

And then you get to stare at your patcher for 4 hours until about 9pm and hope it all goes smoothly.

Dracian
08-20-2013, 03:36 AM

I agree with you but no matter the hour, it'll be peek time... If it's not pick time in the US, it'll be in Europe and if it's not in Europe, it'll be in the US. That's what I wanted to mean when saying that timezones sucks. Now, I can deal with it : while waiting for server to be online again, I'll go have some fun with redheads in The Witcher :p

Off topic : the signature banners you guys from 3rd World Tactics have are really nice. Kudos to the person who designed them.

Judgement Dave
08-20-2013, 03:42 AM
And then you get to stare at your patcher for 4 hours until about 9pm and hope it all goes smoothly.
I suspect that you're wrong about that. He gets to stare at the patcher until about 10pm local time.

The downtime notice states times in GMT but in the UK we're still on BST (i.e. GMT +1).

So downtime in UK local (BST) is scheduled to be approximately 17:45 until 21:45.

People over here are always forgetting that GMT is only local time for about half the year.

WestJaguar
08-20-2013, 04:00 AM
won't be a problem for me. I'll just play/do something else during the downtime.

melkathi
08-20-2013, 04:00 AM

Ach, gaming companies... It's like when we tried to explain on the GW2 forum that having the one off content on a Sunday afternoon was kinda stupid as it locked out the everyone eastward from central Europe, while a Saturday for the US would mean that even the aussies could play *shrug*

wild liza
08-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Oh well 1 more night playing Payday 2, can't complain LOL.

Tyger
08-20-2013, 04:41 AM
GMT is Greenwich Mean Time. The time is right. Pacific is one hour behind mountain

Ohhhh them USA kids... Keep forgettin' there's more than just our lil' patch of dirt on this planet. XD

Thearl
08-20-2013, 05:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvKXDYoab5w

Indra Echo
08-20-2013, 06:39 AM

Yeah but you still run into time zones. Downloads are always inconvenient for someone, especially on consoles. It's nighttime somewhere while it's daytime elsewhere. Most games and even MS and Sony do things based on their local time because they can't please everyone. 12:45 your time might be inconvenient for you but might totally work for someone else. Peak times vary and unless the companies you worked for were global and had to deal with console makers that have their own schedules for things, you can't compare what you did with this.

I have a lot of family members that work in IT, web administration, and network services-sometimes you just have to do what you need to do when you can do it and risk someone finding it inconvenient.

Indra Echo
08-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Ach, gaming companies... It's like when we tried to explain on the GW2 forum that having the one off content on a Sunday afternoon was kinda stupid as it locked out the everyone eastward from central Europe, while a Saturday for the US would mean that even the aussies could play *shrug*

I know that other companies I've dealt with just do things on their schedule as well because there's no way to please everyone. If you only have to deal with one time zone then you're fine, but here's an example. On device I own would get updates. The company would put a manual version on their website for those that couldn't wait-others could get the update over the air, if they had wifi on, and in a sort of rolling update-it was a pushed update and they didn't want it pushed to everyone at once.

People complained that those who bought the device earlier should be the first to get the update. And some people complained when they didn't get it at 12:01 THEIR time on the day of release. But that's a different time on the East coast of the US from the West coast. Everyone sees only what's in front of their own noses and doesn't realize that while we're sleeping, others are at work and it's daytime.