PDA

View Full Version : Region lock for playstation 3? major let down

CFCDROGBAB
03-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Okay guys, I was pretty hyped up for this game.. I am from the UK and I have a couple of friends from the US. we had planned to play the game together and all sorts. and now we find out there's a possibility of a region lock? this has kinda put me off this game.. they really should not set a region lock, doing this would sink the game and put off many gamers. thoughts or information?

Amnesia
03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
IIRC, they decided to use regional servers to cut down on problems associated with lag. That's probably a bigger issues for most gamers...

xXUnrealgodXx
03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
they said it had something to do with lag

Jardian
03-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Really dont matter what we think they should do and lots of games are its not something new. If you log into PSN on the US side then you will be on the US servers if you log into the EU side then your EU server.

CFCDROGBAB
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Im not sure if playstation is definitely getting locked. I heard it might just be Xbox

Jardian
03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I havent seen a playstation MMO yet that wasnt locked.

Wrathful_Badger
03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah I heard only the XBOX was region locked. Where did you hear the PS3 was?

CFCDROGBAB
03-31-2013, 07:06 PM
I've just heard talk about playstation also being locked. sledgehammer have only said XBOX so far though.

Jardian
03-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Its like this if you log into PSN NA then thats where you are PSN EU then thats where you are.

It was like that in beta. The only system that picks is PC.

CFCDROGBAB
03-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Yes, i just want to know if this is happening on ps3? People are saying different things

CFCDROGBAB
03-31-2013, 07:13 PM
oh yay, It's only XBOX with region lock.

Jardian
03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Yes, i just want to know if this is happening on ps3? People are saying different things

.... what part of PSN has always had regions dont you get.

velvet
03-31-2013, 07:15 PM

More thenlikely yes for lag issues or cause MS won't let it be diff then they're game and letz face it a 360 most likely won't handle this game well.

J_matt
03-31-2013, 07:28 PM
It will be a shame if the ps3 version gets region locked this game has huge potential ls i would prefer to play with english speaking players than players who dont speak english

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 07:36 PM
.... what part of PSN has always had regions dont you get.

There are games that aren't region locked, so no it's not a PSN thing.

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 07:38 PM
I saw a video where the dev said it was a PSN and XBL rule to region lock, but that's not true, at least not for PSN.

Sort of like them saying it's a PSN rule to only add game friends from your PSN friend list, which isn't true either.

Jardian
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
There are games that aren't region locked, so no it's not a PSN thing.

Really and what games would that be. Because I know DCUO a MMO dont lets you Pick what region your on it is done by your PSN if your on NA you got the serer and if your on EU you got that server. It dont cross.

CFCDROGBAB
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Oh, so it's probably not going to be locked for ps3?

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 07:42 PM
True and which one of those are MMO. Cause I know for fact DCUO is lol.

Well as we all know there aren't many MMOs on consoles in general, but my point was that you saying ".... what part of PSN has always had regions dont you get." was incorrect. :) Incorrect in relation to this subject anyway.

Jardian
03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Actually I had to correct my statement. Or do you not know PSN has a EU and NA side that dont cross.

Pain
03-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Like everyone else said, I think it's only Xbox that will have region lock.

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Actually I had to correct my statement. Or do you not know PSN has a EU and NA side that dont cross.

You know what. You're right. My mistake. I was thinking about playing MAG with many different europeans, but they just made NA accounts. My apologies.

velvet
03-31-2013, 07:51 PM
I saw a video where the dev said it was a PSN and XBL rule to region lock, but that's not true, at least not for PSN.

Sort of like them saying it's a PSN rule to only add game friends from your PSN friend list, which isn't true either.

Pretty sure that's implied by ms. Xbox can't handle mmos that's why it doesn't get them., so they region lock for smaller easier controlled servers. Just like MS is why the game isn't cross platform. They're shtaco system can't handle it. And if the xbox game differs from the ps3 game ms won't back it and won't buy it for they're system. So 90℅ chance its locked. Dcuo did it cause they have weak out of date servers.

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Pretty sure that's implied by ms. Xbox can't handle mmos that's why it doesn't get them., so they region lock for smaller easier controlled servers. Just like MS is why the game isn't cross platform. They're shtaco system can't handle it. And if the xbox game differs from the ps3 game ms won't back it and won't buy it for they're system. So 90℅ chance its locked. Dcuo did it cause they have weak out of date servers.

Makes sense. I was thinking about playing MAG and hearing various euro accents and languages. especially when I was in Raven.

Gravity
03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Makes sense. I was thinking about playing MAG and hearing various euro accents and languages. especially when I was in Raven.
I was just about to mention MAG. While it isn't exactly an MMO, it does have 256 player battles. Definitely wasn't region locked as I was often playing with people from UK, Russia, Japan, etc.

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah MAG isn't region locked, and apparently other PS3 exclusives aren't either, which means PSN isn't. POW!

Stoned Soldier
03-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Okay guys, I was pretty hyped up for this game.. I am from the UK and I have a couple of friends from the US. we had planned to play the game together and all sorts. and now we find out there's a possibility of a region lock? this has kinda put me off this game.. they really should not set a region lock, doing this would sink the game and put off many gamers. thoughts or information?
a quick get around this is you and friend make alternate psn accounts using same region, then in any future instances you all can use that universal or go back to your old.

MMandevil
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
a quick get around this is you and friend make alternate psn accounts using same region, then in any future instances you all can use that universal or go back to your old.

Only problem here might be lag because he won't be running off of UK servers, just like when I play League of Legends on the EU servers, It's not horrible perse but noticeable. Now I believe if its cross server (not cross platform) and not region locked he'll be on his we'll be on ours but still able to be together.

Squ1rr3l_K1ng
03-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Not sure if it was a Beta thing, but I downloaded the beta from my EU account, and played it on my NA account. I was playing on the EU servers even though being on my NA account. I couldn't play with people who downloaded the beta from the NA store, however, I was able to play with the friend that i've gameshared the beta with no problem, and the people i've added from the beta I had no trouble playing with, not to mention whenever someone had a mic, they spoke with a british accent.

Most of my friends that (may) get the game will be from NA anyway so it won't be THAT big of a deal. It is unfortunate though that the community may be split up like this.

Snowgoons
03-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Not sure if it was a Beta thing, but I downloaded the beta from my EU account, and played it on my NA account. I was playing on the EU servers even though being on my NA account. I couldn't play with people who downloaded the beta from the NA store, however, I was able to play with the friend that i've gameshared the beta with no problem, and the people i've added from the beta I had no trouble playing with, not to mention whenever someone had a mic, they spoke with a british accent.

Most of my friends that (may) get the game will be from NA anyway so it won't be THAT big of a deal. It is unfortunate though that the community may be split up like this.

Well as long as you can make a NA account, activate the game, and play with all your NA friends it's not that big of an issue.

Hopefully you will be able to change your region back to EU or wherever the player is from if the lag is bad on NA though LOL

Maybe I am confused but with all the MMORPG's I have played EU has always had it's own servers? Added a question mark cause I could be wrong heh.

SoopaMan2K
04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Well as long as you can make a NA account, activate the game, and play with all your NA friends it's not that big of an issue.

Hopefully you will be able to change your region back to EU or wherever the player is from if the lag is bad on NA though LOL

Maybe I am confused but with all the MMORPG's I have played EU has always had it's own servers? Added a question mark cause I could be wrong heh.

This will be the problem right here. It will be just like DCUO. Once you Activate the game under your account, you probably won't be able to on another.

Snowgoons
04-01-2013, 12:12 AM
This will be the problem right here. It will be just like DCUO. Once you Activate the game under your account, you probably won't be able to on another.

Ouch you are right, doesn't seem like you will get to flip flop between servers if the lag is too unbearable on NA if you are outside of NA. Without buying two copies of the game I suppose. Not good!

Shinji Ex
04-01-2013, 03:21 AM
The question will we be able to choose a server like most MMO's?

Otherwise I assume it's gonna be like what DCUO is now that uses a melding world regions process for servers

CFCDROGBAB
04-01-2013, 04:24 AM
I did some research lastnight and many sources have claimed it's only XBOX, as they cannot handle MMO style games