PDA

View Full Version : Not enough interest and not enough info

Warlander
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Ive played a lot of mmo's over the years, infact i would say ive played every north american mmo and quite a few others.

what keeps worrying me is 2 things, first the forums, they are dead, not like most forums before launch , this game just isnt getting a lot of attention for some reason and it shows here.
I play a bunch of mmo's at the moment, and i constantly posting in chat about defiance out soon, and people are always whats that ? never heard of it, they need better marketing for sure.

Secondly the game is out tomorrow, and there is still very little official info, many questsions havnt been answered, and that surprises me to.

Now the game is great and im freekin excited to play.
But this game is not off to a good start numbers wise.
I just hope what sales they already have and what they will take in from the cash shop will be enough to keep it up long enough to get people interested.

*edit adding teh bit from my post farther down*

ok, if dont take my word for it, go look at the ark fall codes thread, thats the busiest thread here, its probably the most important to, right now its around 70k VIEWS, many people viewed more than once, but lets assume that the most common thread here, that most people would look for when comming to the forums every view was unique thats 70k people now lets pretend some people never looked. just for fun we will say maybe there are 100k people that will be playing at launch.

But thats the benefit of the doubt, the real number is more likely 40k unique views or less, i would say that at launch they will be lucky if they even come close to 100k.
ANd trust me 100k is not good.
Ive worked on games, ive played these games for years, I know what i see, im not hating on the game.

CharmCitysKing
04-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Ive played a lot of mmo's over the years, infact i would say ive played every north american mmo and quite a few others.

what keeps worrying me is 2 things, first the forums, they are dead, not like most forums before launch , this game just isnt getting a lot of attention for some reason and it shows here.
I play a bunch of mmo's at the moment, and i constantly posting in chat about defiance out soon, and people are always whats that ? never heard of it, they need better marketing for sure.

Secondly the game is out tomorrow, and there is still very little official info, many questsions havnt been answered, and that surprises me to.

I just hope what sales they already have and what they will take in from the cash shop will be enough to keep it up long enough to get people interested.

i duno what yoru talking about during the beta week there were 1,000s of ppl on here...its freaking 3:00am people DO sleep. The games not even out... LOL

Defy
04-01-2013, 12:07 AM
what do you mean forums are dead? to me they appear pretty active.

PurePlayinSerb
04-01-2013, 12:07 AM

i for one posted a lot until beta, now im just waiting to get the full game, and i think there isn't a lot of info cause they can't spoil the tv show yet

Snowgoons
04-01-2013, 12:08 AM

What others above said plus:

I keep seeing it on tv, and not just on SyFy! However, it's true when I mention the game to friends a majority of them have no idea what I am talking about. However they aren't really as "tuned" in as I am. Don't really follow anything, hell they didn't even know the new wolverine movie was coming or that BF4 was coming this year! Shrug. It will catch on when the TV show comes out I think. People will have to take notice!

There are a good number of people who don't really touch forums though, I have about 10+ people on my PSN right now I played beta with who are awaiting the game that have never signed up for these forums.

Warlander
04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
i duno what yoru talking about during the beta week there were 1,000s of ppl on here

ok, if dont take my word for it, go look at the ark fall codes thread, thats the busiest thread here, its probably the most important to, right now its around 70k VIEWS, many people viewed more than once, but lets assume that the most common thread here, that most people would look for when comming to the forums every view was unique thats 70k people now lets pretend some people never looked. just for fun we will say maybe there are 100k people that will be playing at launch.

But thats the benefit of the doubt, the real number is more likely 40k unique views or less, i would say that at launch they will be lucky if they even come close to 100k.
Ive worked on games, ive played these games for years, I know what i see, im not hating on the game.

Warlander
04-01-2013, 12:16 AM
ANd i will add I hope im wrong, Im almost considering ordering cable just so i can watch the show without pirating it and i hate cable.

fingers crossed.

GT3000
04-01-2013, 12:21 AM

What games have you worked on? I'm curious.

Warlander
04-01-2013, 12:25 AM
What games have you worked on? I'm curious.

Nothing I care about proving, I value my privacy more.

But like i said dont take my word for it, go look up a few mmo's both out and comming soon, compare there forum post/view counts.
Like it or not, there isnt a lot of people here. its not rocket science, the numbers are right there for anyone to see.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
04-01-2013, 12:26 AM

Ok first off there are hours of live streams for info. Second that ark fall code thread with 70,000 views is one Dead started maybe a month ago. The real discussion thread on codes has almost 700,000 views and a lot of people stopped going there after we got the 120 codes (at 151 now)

Kroesis
04-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Thread and views does not an accurate figure make. That thread was a discussion in finding codes, no doubt many of those who were aware of the codes actually used sites like Orcz or whatever to get them. A lot of people don't use forums too. Just sayin'

0_d4RK_FaLLen
04-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Thread and views does not an accurate figure make. That thread was a discussion in finding codes, no doubt many of those who were aware of the codes actually used sites like Orcz or whatever to get them. A lot of people don't use forums too. Just sayin'

Yes a lot of people did use Orcz after we found them and they then got posted to Orcz. The discussion in that thread did have a lot of regulars but even so the forums have died down slightly after the onslaught during beta weekend 3

GT3000
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Nothing I care about proving, I value my privacy more.

But like i said dont take my word for it, go look up a few mmo's both out and comming soon, compare there forum post/view counts.
Like it or not, there isnt a lot of people here. its not rocket science, the numbers are right there for anyone to see.

Then don't talk about it. Frankly put you're look at ATLEAST 100K in preorders as of March 23rd between all three platforms in brick and mortar stores. Nevermind digital distribution which is rarely released and isn't counted. So stop inflating your post count and stop cluttering the forums. This isn't your personal soapbox.

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/ (#22, 30, and 32)

Aeekto
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
just watch steam topseller... defiance got on second place today just behind Bioshock... even the seasonpass got into the Top 10.
There wasn´t much advertisement in the past because of NDA, but now since the NDA of beta got lifted people get curios and the interest in this game is growing steadily. Just think about how fast the steam tier3 got reached just after the NDA got lifted.

tangotown
04-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Good for u to have alot of time playing all these morpg. Some of us have jobs to go to. Perhaps it has not past u that when the sfy show starts the is a high chance they will pug the game into the show. There is ur advertisment right their. Give the game a chance. Atleast they have realsed it ON all formats. When was the last game company to try that to bring a morpg to the masses,

Bone
04-01-2013, 12:38 AM
just watch steam topseller... defiance got on second place today just behind Bioshock... even the seasonpass got into the Top 10.
There wasn´t much advertisement in the past because of NDA, but now since the NDA of beta got lifted people get curios and the interest in this game is growing steadily. Just think about how fast the steam tier3 got reached just after the NDA got lifted.

So true....

Pragmatic
04-01-2013, 12:39 AM
This forum is not exactly advertised, I myself only discovered it by accident. Additionally, defiancd is not an MMO it is "a TPS first, an MMO second" (from a dev in an interview), so LOADS of the players will be F/TPS fans knowing nothing or little of MMOs. You only looked at views on MMO game forums, plus, MMO is a genre packed full of forum users due to the needs of the genre type, but a large majority of FPS and TPS do not forum or are not used to forumming because those genres do not necesarilly need to forum.

Kroesis
04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
this forum is not exactly advertised, i myself only discovered it by accident. Additionally, defiancd is not an mmo it is "a tps first, an mmo second" (from a dev in an interview), so loads of the players will be f/tps fans knowing nothing or little of mmos. You only looked at views on mmo game forums, plus, mmo is a genre packed full of forum users due to the needs of the genre type, but a large majority of fps and tps do not forum or are not used to forumming because those genres do not necesarilly need to forum.

I NEED to FORUM! ;)

Derity
04-01-2013, 12:56 AM
They really need to emphasize the fact that this is a MMO Shooter with 1000's of players.

I mean the advert on IGN right now is a complete fail. The advert says: "United. Devided. Defiant.", dafuq is that? lol. And it just repeats that **** over and over, who is going to click on an advert on a website, when they don't even have a clue what the product even is?

Then you click the link and it goes to the main website, and on the main website, nowhere does it even say the game is an MMO Shooter.

I guarantee these adverts would get so many more clicks, if it said "Thousands of Players", "MMO", "Shooter", "Console and PC", "From the company that brought you RIFT".

They need to fire their advertising team lol.

United. Devided. Defiant.... really?

Irres169
04-01-2013, 01:00 AM
its freaking 3:00am people DO sleep.

I don't sleep.

Defy
04-01-2013, 01:02 AM
well the code hunt thread kinda died down, but thats because we found all the codes

or have we...?