PDA

View Full Version : Very slow download

Technodude
04-01-2013, 02:56 AM
I left the game to download during night. The speed was quite decent. Launcher was showing 8 hours till completion but now in morning it is showing 5 days :(

Anyone else having this issue? i still have another 5 GB to go. Usually, for other MMOS of similar size it takes me few hours.

For example i downloaded 22 gigs of Tera in 4 hours few days back. But for some reason Defiance is too slow for me.

JustAHermit
04-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Meh, it fluctuates a lot but I was able to get it done overnight. (I've never actually stood beside it and left it to download overnight for pre-load & beta). It has done fine in less than 8 hours (how much I sleep) with 35/5 internet being completed everytime I awake.

Edit: I heard opening ports may help but I haven't tried this.

Zaiaku
04-01-2013, 03:01 AM
I started a fresh download last night (had to clear Alpha and Beta clients off the PC first) and that started at "5 days X-hours" Was done when I got up this morning. Full Defiance folder is reading 32GB.

JustAHermit
04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
That's really weird... my client is reading 10 GB. Hmmmm, got me worried now.

Mcdragon
04-01-2013, 03:06 AM
8 hours? i would kill myself man lol thank god i have decent netz

Technodude
04-01-2013, 03:06 AM
That's really weird... my client is reading 10 GB. Hmmmm, got me worried now.

From what i heard and seen it is 10 gb after pre load. My friend finished his download today and his client size is 10 gb too.

Technodude
04-01-2013, 03:07 AM
8 hours? i would kill myself man lol thank god i have decent netz

I think you missed the part where i said i am having this problem only with Defiance. I downloaded 22 gigs of Tera in 4 hours few days back. My net is quite decent.

Zaiaku
04-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Im worried my file is reading 32GB now then o.O

Mcdragon
04-01-2013, 03:11 AM
didnt miss that part just saying 8 hours man i would kill myself

Munx
04-01-2013, 03:14 AM
if 8 hours would make you kill yourself, what would 4 days do ?

Naninb
04-01-2013, 03:15 AM
I'm experiencing no problems with download speed. At this very moment it's loading about 5.2 MB per second.
Hope you will be ready until launch :) Shoot 'em bugs, gents!

JustAHermit
04-01-2013, 03:15 AM
if 8 hours would make you kill yourself, what would 4 days do ?

He wouldn't make it past 8 hours.

Mcdragon
04-01-2013, 03:20 AM
its true well im retired so everyday i wake up its saturday lol. i actually have a ton of patience just like to talk like i dont, see what it feels like. had to wait weeks in sniper nests when i was in military just to find a guy so...

Munx
04-01-2013, 03:38 AM
its true well im retired so everyday i wake up its saturday lol. i actually have a ton of patience just like to talk like i dont, see what it feels like. had to wait weeks in sniper nests when i was in military just to find a guy so...

Real life camper.

Mcdragon
04-01-2013, 03:39 AM
haha true its a camper life!

ANMDark
04-01-2013, 03:56 AM
I was DL at 3mb/s not its going at 0.16mb/s hope it will pick up over night

Technodude
04-01-2013, 04:08 AM
I was DL at 3mb/s not its going at 0.16mb/s hope it will pick up over night

I am hoping the same. I want to finish the download by tomorrow morning before i head to work.

centaurianmudpig
04-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Make sure you are downloading from your Region. I had to change the patch client from North America to Europe (given I'm in the UK), which reduced my DL time from 2 days to ~12hrs.

Niurok
04-01-2013, 05:15 AM
Guess everyone here pre-ordered? My Login says my account is not entitled to play so I guess I missed this pre download somewhere.

Moose Jaw
04-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Guess everyone here pre-ordered? My Login says my account is not entitled to play so I guess I missed this pre download somewhere.

Change your password on Trion site, then you can start downloading. I don't know why, but it works.

Mcdragon
04-01-2013, 05:26 AM
depends on where he baught it. if he gtom from steam then there are 2 codes he needs

Makawa
04-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Hi Niurok, Please make sure that if you have purchased it via Steam to click the Defiance option in your Game Library and then look at the right for a "Keys" link, copy the keys out of that new window into your Trion account so they are both linked through.

To those with download speed issues, when you start the Defiance Patcher please make sure that you click Settings and select your region before you start updating/downloading the game, this will allocate you to your nearest server and allow you to download a lot more promptly than 'x' amount of days.

SqueezeMe
04-01-2013, 08:37 AM
My download only took like 5 hours yesterday :S

Mcdragon
04-01-2013, 08:39 AM
< 10 mins to download mine

Makawa
04-01-2013, 08:45 AM
< 10 mins to download mine

Two minutes, 30 seconds at 70MB/S ^^.

Rogue13
04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Can't quite match Quick-Draw Makawa, lowly ADSL connection here in NE England, but multiple hour downloads are surprising, my internet is not really fast but I got the 10gb in 90 mins. I wonder how/why people with slow internet expect to play an online shooter game, I've been very reluctant to play online because although my downstream is pretty good for ADSL (15-16 Mbps) my up is a measly 0.75-0.8 Mbps, so this is going to be my first foray into an active online game (vs slower/strategy type games).

PS - Google Fiber, please come to NE England.

bigdawg6183
04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I was wondering what the deal was for the speeds the way they were but HA! I think I see the issue. The speed of the downloader is measuring your connection speed in MB per second not Mbps. It says you are downloading at .37 or .60 MB/sec you are actually downloading at 370Kbps and 600Kbps respectively. Most DSL ISP's sell you your internet connection measured in either Mbps or Kbps.

Aria
04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I started my download about 3 hours ago took about 1 1/2 hours to download the game...I would say the dl is quite fast? Try restarting (Provided your not to far along) as I am not sure there is a resume option?

Baoen
04-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I show 24/25Mbs download capability on speedtest.net and am only getting 0.12 to 0.2 from their servers. Talk about maddeningly slow. Couple that with the original successful log in but not authorized to play message, it's putting a serious damper on my enthusiasm.

Ebany
04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I was wondering what the deal was for the speeds the way they were but HA! I think I see the issue. The speed of the downloader is measuring your connection speed in MB per second not Mbps. It says you are downloading at .37 or .60 MB/sec you are actually downloading at 370Kbps and 600Kbps respectively. Most DSL ISP's sell you your internet connection measured in either Mbps or Kbps.

Which would mean that the download should only take 5-12 hours. I'm about to pass the "24hr" mark for downloading and, according to my very accurate software which measures bandwidth transfer, I have not even at 4GB yet. I'm rather tired so forgive me if I made some calculation errors, but I believe that means I'm averaging about 50 kB/s. I just tested a download from both Steam and GoG, and was getting about 12,000 kB/s.

The DeFi patcher estimates I still have 1 day and 12 hours left to complete my download, this mirrors my own estimates.

My guess is it's a mixture of things. Since some people are claiming to get fast downloads then I would say users location and security checks on Trion's server side been the primary and most obvious culprit. I have about seven friends in Australia also getting the same speeds as myself.

Ebany
04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
I started my download about 3 hours ago took about 1 1/2 hours to download the game...I would say the dl is quite fast? Try restarting (Provided your not to far along) as I am not sure there is a resume option?

Many people reported that restarting the patcher compounded the problem as it would not recognise previous content downloaded and would start over again. Although normally I would agree, you may not make any friends with this advice considering how it may turn out :)

Ebany
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
I have noticed Mod's (like Jester) are quite active on here and I'm hoping they can enlighten us whether this problem is the focus of attention from Trion or whether we just need to hold in our excitement and be patient.

bigdawg6183
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Which would mean that the download should only take 5-12 hours. I'm about to pass the "24hr" mark for downloading and, according to my very accurate software which measures bandwidth transfer, I have not even at 4GB yet.Sorry for the delayed post, but yeah I totally agree that the speeds were crap, I was just stating that was probably a misconception for quite a few people (I know it caught me off guard lol). When I was downloading I was getting some pretty low speeds, sometimes even 0.02 MB/sec lol, but I was also downloading day before release day when everyone AND their grandmama was dling as well. Side note. Reason I was downloading day before and not earlier is because I hadn't added both of my Steam CD Keys to Trion like a dumbass and there for it would not let me log in. grrrrrrr -.-