PDA

View Full Version : Why do i enjoy Defiance?!

Nury
08-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Hi guys.
I want to share with you my opinion about Defiance.

Defiance is a great game but not for everyone,reading the threads on the forum i see that many people expect Defiance to be more like an mmorpg and not what it is.It has rpg elements (perks,progression) and is an mmo but this is not WoW.The game is made more like an offline game with an optional co-op.IMO many players aproach the game with a wrong midset,that's why so many are complaining.There are bugs,glitches,disconnects etc. (so far i have not encountered any in game bug and i was disconnected only once in 150+ hours) but look at Defiance when it was released and look at it now,many things were fixed.In Defiance you get a gun and many things to do,explore,random encounters,arkfalls,co-op missions,arenas,sieges,side missions,rampages,time trials,pvp,shadow wars etc,you decide.With so much content why are you complaining,because after some time gets boring?Belive me,i know what boring means,i have to change a game after playing for few hours because i get bored very fast,but Defiance kept me interested and i am not bored yet.Playing WoW or any other mmorpg you will have to raid dungeons untill you become a zombie just to get the best gear but here,Defiance lets you do what you want and still be good at it with a crappy gun.
People are complaining about the new DLC,we got a new vehicle,new race,2 new weapon types,arenas etc,what are you expecting,content equal with the content the game already has or 10000 hours worth of content? Is true that you might not like the DLC but that is your own taste and not the games fault,is your preference.
Ofc Defiance is not all sunshine and puppies,the DLC delays and not receiving items (dlc/standard ed. purchase) are not a good thing for the game image and us , players.
Defiance is a great game and the only problem imo is how Trion handles it.

(I bought Deluxe edition,season pass,bits and i don't regret it.)

Share your opinion and if i am wrong tell me why?

Billy Guile
08-22-2013, 01:15 AM
you sound like everyone else when they first got on the forums. including myself.

JxSiN
08-22-2013, 01:19 AM
you sound like everyone else when they first got on the forums. including myself.

Same here lol.

Also, what is this DLC you speak of? Us PS3 NA users have heard rumors of its existence.

Nury
08-22-2013, 01:21 AM
I have at least one month around and i "stalked" closely the game since it was released.My opinion has not changed since i bought the game,ofc. the game was bad at release that's why i've bough it so late but i think in the current state it does not deserve the hate and all the nonsense on the forum.

EDIT.I know about ps3 and if you read my post you would see that i don't agree with the delays...

Spiltmilk
08-22-2013, 01:22 AM
I still enjoy the game like how I used to enjoy the game Killing Floor. Pop some heads and do a lil' arkfall and log off. But it was not what I expected when I paid $60. Not a big deal now, the good thing going for the DLC is you don't have to pay for it to enjoy it on PC.

Like Billy said, you sound like us when we started. Just give it some time. You'll join the rest of us at some point. I'm not going to create pointless rage threads but I understand where they are coming from. Might want to lube up and prepare for the inevitable.

[Edit] Ah okay, so you been around. I got it.

JxSiN
08-22-2013, 01:26 AM
I have at least one month around and i "stalked" closely the game since it was released.My opinion has not changed since i bought the game,ofc. the game was bad at release that's why i've bough it so late but i think in the current state it does not deserve the hate and all the nonsense on the forum.

EDIT.I know about ps3 and if you read my post you would see that i don't agree with the delays...

Don't get me wrong. I love this game. I keep buying bits and investing in it. I still have a false sense of hope that tomorrow will be a brighter day. Regardless of how I currently feel, I'll still stick with the game at least until my last friend quits playing (and maybe even longer).

Nury
08-22-2013, 01:30 AM
LoL...no,not 4.99,i bought it at 30% off only, 150+ hours i think would be enough to make me "join the rest of us" but i have not and i will not,and even if i "sound like us when we started" ,i already have 1 month in the game,i played almost every mmorpg and in few days i get bored, if this game was so bad (looking on the forum posts the game seems broken and unplayable) i would probably get bored in hours... but after 1 month i still play it.
I think most of you expect too much from it.
EDIT: I think most of the people when they get in the game they expect to start grinding for the gear and looking for healers and dungeons...if i can compare this game with an a mmorpg that would be GW2,more appealing to casual players.

Rasczak
08-22-2013, 01:32 AM
Christ, another mention of WoW. I had to stop there.

Just for the record, not every MMO player looks for the next WoW. As a matter of fact, if you look at the industry and the piles of smoking MMO corpses that have been forced into the F2P model to survive, you'll realize that trying to be another WoW is a good way to lose your investment. It's happened over and over again the past 6 years (the development trend really hit stride about 2 years after WoW's launch).

Even Rift, which tried to market itself on television as: "You're not in Azeroth anymore," and "Bring your friends, form an alliance, and come join our Horde," backfired on them. Before the first three months of launch were over, they were consolidating servers, and the game was $9.99 at retailers (and even included the first $14.99/mo of subscription time). Oh, they held on, but only 27 months later, they had to make the game F2P (and keep in mind, I was a Rift player for those 27 months, too).

Defiance has not been mangled across the internet because it isn't like WoW, or doesn't have vertical progression. It's gotten mangled, and justly so, because it is a seriously flawed game that's suffered, even to today, under a seemingly incompetent Dev or Management team.

Nury
08-22-2013, 01:36 AM
"Just for the record, not every MMO player looks for the next WoW."
True,but most come with the wrong mindset.
The same happened with GW2.
Btw,WoW was just an exemple,what i was saying was just that players are coming with that midset "get a healer and a team and lets do dungeons",lets be "hardcore players".
Defiance is targeting the casual player.

Sanguinesun
08-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Ah the honeymoon.... then you learn they snore, dont pick up after themselves and never clear the shower drain of hair.

Spiltmilk
08-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Oh I don't expect much from it now, that's why no rage threads from me :p. The is game is great for casual play, I went away for months from this game and I did not miss anything at all.

But the game can't survive on casual players, can it?

[Edit] Too bad I can't delete my own posts. Didn't realize I was responding to crazy and I can't opt out.

Nury
08-22-2013, 01:43 AM
All is see is nonsense,why nobody proves that i am wrong?

Edit: I play almost everyday,sometimes 3-4 days without playing,if everyone would play like me and support the game...it could survive.
One of the problems is the Store pricing...the price for an outfit is just too much.
I usualy spend more on f2p games monthly for outfits,costumes than on a subscription based game,but i don't spend that much on Defiance because an outfit is too much...(spent some only on inventory slots etc. but not on outfits)
Take 50% from the prices and i will buy some outfits...

Rasczak
08-22-2013, 01:49 AM
"Just for the record, not every MMO player looks for the next WoW."
True,but most come with the wrong mindset.
The same happened with GW2.
Btw,WoW was just an exemple,what i was saying was just that players are coming with that midset "get a healer and a team and lets do dungeons",lets be "hardcore players".
Defiance is targeting the casual player.

I'll disagree that such is the mindset coming to the game or causing the explosions at forums (not just these forums, and even in constant comments at the Defiance FB page posts). Not unless the customer is a total moron and didn't even read the most basic description, found at the website, within the product's online description at stores, and even on the physical box (so, kind of hard to miss as long as one doesn't read only in Braille) that Defiance is an Open-World Shooter.

I've yet to see a Shooter that requires any portion of an MMO's Holy Trinity, except the default DPS, obviously.

The game is simply heavily flawed, bug ridden even for an MMO, has seen an 82% price drop within a mere 4 months of being live, has misled the community on numerous occasions, just closed the entire studio division the game was run out of (San Diego) and is trying to move it to their Redwood studio, laid off something like 60% of their staff as recently as May (and their new CEO is still chopping staff across the company), and just said on a Podcast that Major Changes were coming to Defiance (already a topic of speculation here, and at other forums).

And that is just the problems off the top of my head.

Now, you might ask, why do I play? Well, I already own it and it's mindless fun-- stress: mindless-- late at night. Plus, despite this half of the franchise, I am very much a fan of the show.

Defiance is targeting the casual player? No kidding. Every MMO on the market is targeting the casual player. The so called "hardcore MMOs" faded from popularity years ago.

WoW
Rift
LoTRO
DDO
DCUO
EQ2
STO
CO
Neverwinter
SWTOR
GW2
(just to name some)

and even the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar.

Nury
08-22-2013, 01:55 AM
I am aware of all this.
But i am that lucky that the only bug i encountered is not receiving the DLC items,and i don't receive coda knight outfit on new created characters?
Like always on the forum are coming people just to complain and hate(most of the time),that's why the negative image.And 20 or 30 people that are complaining on the forum represents the whole community?

Edit: I think if is something to blame here,is Trion's management abilities,not the game itself.

Edit2: Most of the game you listed already have a defined fanbase some only for being old,other for previous games so saying that every game is targeting casual players,wow,gw2,elder scrolls,ddo,swtor,lotro etc. already have years or movies,books,there are franchises,they can target my @ss (just an exemple) and it will still have a fanbase to support it,as for defiance,everyhting is new,needs to create a fanbase,but this days with so many games is hard.

Rasczak
08-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I am aware of all this.
But i am that lucky that the only bug i encountered is not receiving the DLC items,and i don't receive coda knight outfit on new created characters?
Like always on the forum are coming people just to complain and hate(most of the time),that's why the negative image.And 20 or 30 people that are complaining on the forum represents the whole community?

No, the mediocre sales for a triple platform release, the gutting of the staff (far beyond the normal attrition of post launch), the Defiance Executive Producer openly admitting to the community that the game is not up to snuff, the statement that Major Changes are coming to it, and the major company shake-ups (when they only have 2 live games, this and Rift, and Rift is profitable from all reports) attests to the fact that there are major issues with Defiance beyond 20-30 people at the forums.

Anyway, as others have said, and like with any major problem MMO (I saw this exact same, anti-complainer stuff from people at the SWTOR forums . . . and where did that game also end-up 11 months post launch? or DC Universe Online being dumped F2P 11 months later? or Warhammer Online bombing and losing 500k of 800k players in 4 months? or Aion? and always the same type of White Knights), enjoy the game, but don't come on here and try to preach to those of us who have been here through all this mess.

It's 5am here. Time for bed. Night, and happy Ark Hunting.

Daholic
08-22-2013, 02:03 AM
All is see is nonsense,why nobody proves that i am wrong?

Edit: I play almost everyday,sometimes 3-4 days without playing,if everyone would play like me and support the game...it could survive.
One of the problems is the Store pricing...the price for an outfit is just too much.
I usualy spend more on f2p games monthly for outfits,costumes than on a subscription based game,but i don't spend that much on Defiance because an outfit is too much...(spent some only on inventory slots etc. but not on outfits)
Take 50% from the prices and i will buy some outfits...

I love it when people like you think "if only you guyz wud support the game". Ive played mostly PC MMORPG's, I do have a console, but I normally stay away from the multiplayer aspect, since my particular multiplayer taste is a bit odd. Let me learn you something, we shouldn't have to think for one minute about supporting the game.

You simple minded approach to Defiance is nothing more than "support it, or it will die" and not once do you think the game is so remedial, that not only does it cater to the fluff brigade (ohhhh, I wana buy that outfit in the item shop that exactly like the outfit we get for free, but its in another color) and the casual minded (I just want to pop in for a hour or so, do this, do that, then log off)
and you want people to support this game????

You casual gaming, will do nothing to support this game, how could you? Casuals aren't on long enough to spend money, and yet you guys think the servers will pay for themselves.

Daholic
08-22-2013, 02:05 AM
(and always the same type of White Knights), enjoy the game, but don't come on here and try to preach to those of us who have been here through all this mess.

It's 5am here. Time for bed. Night, and happy Ark Hunting.

+100000000

Nury
08-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Guys,nobody forces you to read what i write,i just share my opinion.If you don't like it say why or leave.

Btw,most of you don't understand that i defend the GAME,not TRION.

StarBat
08-22-2013, 02:18 AM

Hopefully you're not defending THIS game, but the possibility that it represents. You see the potential we all saw months ago, and gave up on.

That's why we're frustrated. We had fun, but after a few days it became pretty obvious that something was wrong.
We held out, clinging to the belief that things would be fixed, bugs would be squashed, content would be rolled out.

I bought the season pass, not because I believed that it would be awesome, but to support the game. Most of us already knew something was wrong when the season pass was announced.

I don't fault you for liking the game. We all did. We all defended it at one time or another, and were proven wrong.

Daholic
08-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Guys,nobody forces you to read what i write,i just share my opinion.If you don't like it say why or leave.

Dude, don't get all sensitive, we are all having a decent convo with limited flaming. You can defend the game all you want, more power to you, but the days of getting you guild together and being up into the weee hours of the night running a dungeon that is near impossible, the countless party wipes, the dungeon arguments about strat, then the satisfaction of finally clearing an instance is all but gone.

Now we have the gamers who don't really want depth, but more of a simplistic gaming platform that allows them to pop in and out. Let me tell you something I found rather pathetic, it seem people will bend over backward to help you. As if not to allow you to be frustrated and quit. There's no parody, no my guild is better than your because we can do things you cant. Just one big happy server full of scared helpful toon running around doing all they can to keep the server population up.

No competition, no nothing! Ive ran the co-op half asleep and cleared it, hell ive ran them solo, I shouldn't have to try hard to fail, and because Trion took he lesser ground as far as difficulty, it just seem everyone want this to be successful as long as it isn't to taxing.

MagellanD
08-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Post Count 45?
Looks like this person wasn't a launch day player.
I've played since the Beta up before launch and endured the Bugs, bugs, patches, & more since the beginning of April.

I've gone from enthusiastic fan boi to brow beaten and frustrated at so many non working things in this game.
Bought the $150 package and a straight up pre-order for my wife.

My wife saw the writing on the wall while I refused to look. She dropped a month before I did.

I came back to try and see if my DLC is worth it. From what I am reading it may not be. I am downloading now.

What I will comment on is the fact I called out that Patch/DLC day would be a horrible mess and in true Trion form they delivered on that enthusiastically.

I think walking around detroit with a fat wallet out in the open is more fun than patch day at this point.

Llewxam
08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
personally i love the game. and the series. was a little skeptic at first when the game came out and kept reading up on it, watching videos, reviews, these forums and i will say the neg comments fueled that skepticism. but in the end, i decided to get the game and see for myself and i don't regret that decision.

bugs, glitches, patches, flaws in general? yea, i get them too but i don't care about them 'cause in my years of gaming i've played worse games. and the type that NEVER got any dlc or patches or anything. old consoles you get what you paid for even if it was flawed and glitched, but the point of gaming has been lost with the advent of this generation of consoles. it's all about dlc and patches and bugs and glitches and hating. the only complaint i do have about this game is the player community that has given up so quickly on it just because it doesn't cater to their wants.

i'll add that from the few friends that i played this with (and i can count those with one hand) i'm the only one constantly logging back on into the game and enjoying every bit of it even if i haven't finished the main story yet. color me stupid, if you wish, but i still admire the company for keeping up with the onslaught of negativity.

MagellanD
08-22-2013, 07:16 AM
personally i love the game. and the series. was a little skeptic at first when the game came out and kept reading up on it, watching videos, reviews, these forums and i will say the neg comments fueled that skepticism. but in the end, i decided to get the game and see for myself and i don't regret that decision.

bugs, glitches, patches, flaws in general? yea, i get them too but i don't care about them 'cause in my years of gaming i've played worse games. and the type that NEVER got any dlc or patches or anything. old consoles you get what you paid for even if it was flawed and glitched, but the point of gaming has been lost with the advent of this generation of consoles. it's all about dlc and patches and bugs and glitches and hating. the only complaint i do have about this game is the player community that has given up so quickly on it just because it doesn't cater to their wants.

i'll add that from the few friends that i played this with (and i can count those with one hand) i'm the only one constantly logging back on into the game and enjoying every bit of it even if i haven't finished the main story yet. color me stupid, if you wish, but i still admire the company for keeping up with the onslaught of negativity.

The only thing I agree with here is the series. I Love the show. It's not as strong as say Stargate Universe of Battlestar Gallactica but it has it's moments and good characters.

Still way better than that fiddle your way through the dark show with Urkle

Gomly
08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Post Count 45?
Looks like this person wasn't a launch day player.

Because post count means everything .....

*Insert incredibly large facepalm here*

janzig
08-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Because post count means everything .....

*Insert incredibly large facepalm here*

Seriously. I had to chuckle at the subtle d-ba66ery of that statement. I started playing the game shortly after launch, and my post count is.... whatever. Lol.

Mclovin913010
08-22-2013, 10:12 AM

EDIT.I know about ps3 and if you read my post you would see that i don't agree with the delays... I have played the game since launch, and for me it's the accumulation of problems that have turned me into a sour old man. Watching the game from the sideline for a few months isn't the same as investing time and money into the game for months with the same problems occurring over and over again. I understand you're not as frustrated as some of the people who have played this game from the start, but us long time players are tired of the constant problems.