PDA

View Full Version : Character names

Pain
04-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Okay, so for the beta when you created your character you had to name him/her and that name was above your PSN name. I have a question. I know for PC since you don't already have a username, you'll choose one for your character and nobody else can name their characters that.

For PS3/Xbox, will it be the same way? I mean for example:

Say I name my character Bob, could somebody else name their's Bob as well, or is it only my character? Just curious about this because the friends list is going to tie in with your PSN, so are character names purely cosmetic?

Quelcrist
04-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Assuming I read that correctly...

You're correct on the character names. Once you name your character, no one else can take that name. I can confirm it since I came across a "this name has already been taken" type message when trying to come up with a name for one of my characters.

Hanzo_the_Razor
04-01-2013, 06:26 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm hoping to just use my PSN name, but wondering if we could actually designate a different name to our character.

Cheeseezard
04-01-2013, 06:33 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm hoping to just use my PSN name, but wondering if we could actually designate a different name to our character.

Yes we can. You will actually get to see both names. The PSN name AND a character name. Both are unique. I wish I could turn my PSN name off though. I don't like two names above 1 head. Doesn't make sense.

Hanzo_the_Razor
04-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Maybe an option like that could be patched in. Thanks for the info though.

Toxic LuSt
04-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Well, time to roll out the "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxChaosxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" Lmao xD man that sucks :/

6Strummer
04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Yes we can. You will actually get to see both names. The PSN name AND a character name. Both are unique. I wish I could turn my PSN name off though. I don't like two names above 1 head. Doesn't make sense.

You can turn off other people's PSN name, but they'd have to do the same to not see yours, I think. I know in the beta I had it set so I only saw people's Defiance names.

MisterC20XX
04-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Just a heads up for those interested: on the Defiance Comic-Con panel the game & show developers encouraged people to create names consistent with the world because a contest will be held where a gamer's character will become a character in the show.

Super_Jagerman
04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
After learning about the double name in Beta, will name my character something different but will also shut off PSN name option so I don't see Dup names on other people.

Pain
04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Hornbaker
04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Just a heads up for those interested: on the Defiance Comic-Con panel the game & show developers encouraged people to create names consistent with the world because a contest will be held where a gamer's character will become a character in the show.

Interesting, I may have to look up some style of their names as my last name...hmmm

MisterC20XX
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Interesting, I may have to look up some style of their names as my last name...hmmm

If you're going with a human character I think any normal sounding name will do. I mean 'Jeb Nolan' is the main character of the TV show character and his name is not too unusual... OK, Jeb is somewhat unusual. :)

I think the main idea is that if you want to enter this content don't use Xx-xIWillSnipeYouDead420x-xX ;)

Pain
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I think the main idea is that if you want to enter this content don't use Xx-xIWillSnipeYouDead420x-xX ;)

Hoping I don't see any of these, unless it's your PSN. XD

Stoned Soldier
04-01-2013, 03:51 PM
you can turn both or just one off in your settings.

UmbrusNightshade
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I wish I could turn my PSN name off though. I don't like two names above 1 head. Doesn't make sense.

^^This. I absolutely hate HAVING to see PSN-ID on each and every character. Takes away from the RP feel for me. Should be able to toggle it on/off.

UmbrusNightshade
04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
you can turn both or just one off in your settings.

Can turn off Character Name but not PSN-ID.