PDA

View Full Version : Will The Servers Hold?

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Anyone who logged onto the servers on the morning of the beta's first day remembers the beta's horrible lag issue. My question is will the servers be able to support the number of players that will be logging on tonight and tomorrow or will we experience those same lag issues once more? :confused:

FantasyMeister
04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Same lag, then they'll optimise it again and it'll run sweet as a nut thereafter. Until it needs optimising again. After the first week you won't notice it.

(I'm guessing).

MDMA Commando
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Yea I think there will be some lag as well. Considering Trion has run a mmo before tho im sure the servers wont crash just be slow as everyone updates their game and starts playing.

Avenger
04-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Has the launch of any MMO gone completely smoothly?

You can't really expect it all to go totally smoothly tonight, and I have little doubt that there will be all sorts of rage threads appearing on the forums later. All you can do is try to get on, make your character and play for a little while, then by the time you come back to play it later tomorrow hopefully any initial issues will be sorted.

bartish
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
They quickly patched that and they stated that was older code anyways. I am sure it will hold.

FantasyMeister
04-01-2013, 12:53 PM

I've been thinking about this one recently, best one I can think of is Guild Wars 2, they just seemed to get everything right first time on that one. Not sure how they managed it but I remember being extremely impressed.

I think Star Wars: The Old Republic went pretty well too, I was there for the 3 day early access etc and there wasn't much difference when the game went live.

Defiance is a different beast, worldwide launch on not just PC, but 360 and PS3 as well? Gonna be tough but kudos to them if they can pull it off without any major hitches. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do. Because I expect lots of problems I won't be upset to see them, but of course I'll be delighted if I don't.

Krazee DD
04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Pretty sure they will crash hard for at least 2 days. Got Terraria ready to go WHEN it happens.

soadman
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Its just one of those things if it does happen. Cant expect too much with a worldwide launch on 3 different systems. Like others have said if they pull it off then they deserve major credit!

KillAlot V2
04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
i think there will be less lag issues but its a guarantee that the servers will be over whelmed they always are on day1 but at least look on the bright side there not EA servers as EA has the worst day1 servers infact EA servers are probably the worst for the first 3months of a games life and at least trion seemd to care and fixed issues where as companys like EA once they have your money they just dont care

soadman
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah I second that EA comment! They must have the worst servers going!

gryste
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I've been thinking about this one recently, best one I can think of is Guild Wars 2, they just seemed to get everything right first time on that one. Not sure how they managed it but I remember being extremely impressed.

I think Star Wars: The Old Republic went pretty well too, I was there for the 3 day early access etc and there wasn't much difference when the game went live.

Defiance is a different beast, worldwide launch on not just PC, but 360 and PS3 as well? Gonna be tough but kudos to them if they can pull it off without any major hitches. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do. Because I expect lots of problems I won't be upset to see them, but of course I'll be delighted if I don't.

No gw2 login in server crashed constantly 4hour waits to get in and such it was a nightmare.

Swtor severe lag and terrible optimisation

Slipmat
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM

If it's any consolation, when Trion launched Rift just over two years ago, it was widely acclaimed as been the most flawless and smoothest launch of an MMO in a long time :cool:

The only "issue" were the queues to log in, the servers themselves stayed up just fine and were stable, so fingers crossed, history repeats itself in a few hours :p

DejaVooDoo
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
It should be better than most launches. The XBox 360 Beta wasn't really a beta, it was a stress test to help them optimize servers and avoid most of the issues on launch day. The beta period was so close to launch that the discs were already printed and the day 1 patch was in or being prepared for certification. We weren't testing for content and bugs, we were showing them what the servers need to be prepared for.