PDA

View Full Version : Lag

ironcladtrash
08-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Anybody else having serious Lag issues on the PC NA side? It started yesterday for me and the server reboot today did nothing for me.

Notturno
08-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Anybody else having serious Lag issues on the PC NA side? It started yesterday for me and the server reboot today did nothing for me.

Their entire network is screwed, I'm having long load times on their network of websites, as well as poor latency on their game servers.

It's bad, and not isolated.

ironcladtrash
08-28-2013, 05:06 PM
At least it's not just me. Weird how no one seems to be complaining though. My guess is they are probably getting DDOSed and don't know how to fix it.

mechanic1968
08-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Your not the only ones, i started a thread about the same thing in the PC bug section

Vorela
08-28-2013, 09:39 PM
I've never experienced the kind of lag I've had tonight. Major arkfall was done almost a full minute before my system even registered the bug was dead.

crasher
08-29-2013, 02:15 AM
No lag for me that I'm aware of, on the east coast.

A friend in Calif. logged off in disgust hours ago because of the lag issue.

ironcladtrash
08-29-2013, 12:34 PM
No lag for me that I'm aware of, on the east coast.

A friend in Calif. logged off in disgust hours ago because of the lag issue.

You would definitely notice it if you had a problem. This isn't a typical overreaction from a gamer like "OMG, I dropped a packet !! Fire someone!!!"

My inventory takes awhile to show up or is blank, anything I interact with either doesn't register at all or if it finally does it acts as if I pressed the button a bunch of times like vendor windows opening and closing constantly. Ego powers can take 30 seconds or more to activate, and everyone looks like they are skating, teleporting, or playing hopscotch.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

WARDUKE
08-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it's not just the game, but the forum also. Everything, but the main page, is slooooow today.

Testing just moments ago, I no more than jumped on my ATV, ran to an ark fall, only to spend 30 secs trying to get off it hah.

tracert says it's 66.208.216.210 that is causing the problem. If memory servers, that makes it a comcast issue.

Lizz_Zeevi
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
i'm on east coast, and this is getting ridiculous! someone needs to be shaken up ! warduke, me too (stuck on my car!) i'm sick of this crap!

WARDUKE
08-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Forum speed is fixed. I would imagine connect to game server is ok. tracert shows it is clear.

Ozzy57
08-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Forum speed is fixed. I would imagine connect to game server is ok. tracert shows it is clear.

the NA 360 servers were terrible a little bit ago so I don't know if it is fixed yet

fredl11
08-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Yeah, it's not just the game, but the forum also. Everything, but the main page, is slooooow today.

Testing just moments ago, I no more than jumped on my ATV, ran to an ark fall, only to spend 30 secs trying to get off it hah.

tracert says it's 66.208.216.210 that is causing the problem. If memory servers, that makes it a comcast issue.

and game is unplayable :(

crasher
08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
You would definitely notice it if you had a problem. This isn't a typical overreaction from a gamer like "OMG, I dropped a packet !! Fire someone!!!"

My inventory takes awhile to show up or is blank, anything I interact with either doesn't register at all or if it finally does it acts as if I pressed the button a bunch of times like vendor windows opening and closing constantly. Ego powers can take 30 seconds or more to activate, and everyone looks like they are skating, teleporting, or playing hopscotch.

Hope this gets fixed soon.
Agreed. I've seen those issues a few times, but rarely. I *do* consider myself lucky to this point that XFinity hasn't hosed me too often, tho I have had 0.08 mbps download speeds at speedtest.net on occasion.

Spiltmilk
08-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Agreed. I've seen those issues a few times, but rarely. I *do* consider myself lucky to this point that XFinity hasn't hosed me too often, tho I have had 0.08 mbps download speeds at speedtest.net on occasion.

I actually can't log-in the game at the moment. What did you do to the game Crasher?
But seriously, I'm stuck at the connecting to server screen. I had to ctrl+alt+del out.

crasher
08-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I actually can't log-in the game at the moment. What did you do to the game Crasher?
But seriously, I'm stuck at the connecting to server screen. I had to ctrl+alt+del out.
I just tried as a reaction to your post, and had the same problem as you.

OTOH, even the KTAM site for music and defiance related content (http://www.ktamradio.com/) is lagging with no streaming content right now either.

Edited: working now, but the game is still hosed.

BananaHole
08-29-2013, 02:52 PM

It's not a client/user side issue though. Trion has confirmed to me via live chat for customer support that this is an issue being experience by most if not all users and originates from the server/provider side.

ironcladtrash
08-29-2013, 02:57 PM

Me too after I was just able to get on and it looked liked they might have fixed it. It didn't look like a try out for Disney on Ice.

But it being completely down is actually better, the problem cant be ignored now.

neko_gunner
08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
unable to get in the game. I login on the patcher client without issue but lovely circle "connecting to servers" is still spinning 5+ minutes later.

On the other hand KTAM radio is streaming and I'm giving it a listen. Thanks for the link. :cool:

Spiltmilk
08-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Servers back on. Try now guys.

BananaHole
08-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Servers back on. Try now guys.

Still hanging at Connecting to Severs

ironcladtrash
08-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Still can't get in. Can anyone get me into the beta for wildstar while I wait or incase this happens again? :D

Spiltmilk
08-29-2013, 03:52 PM
That's weird, I was stuck at the loading screen and only a few mins ago I was able to get in. What the hell is happening on their end? Anyway, I have to get off and be productive - lost a bit of time just waiting like the rest of you guys.

Feel for you guys, hope you guys get in and when I get back, hopefully they will have this sorted out.

WARDUKE
08-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Just got off it. PC NA is working fine.

ironcladtrash
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah!!! Working like a champ now. I'll still take that invite for wildstar beta though if someone can hook me up.

VicousBlood
08-29-2013, 04:46 PM
At least it's not just me. Weird how no one seems to be complaining though. My guess is they are probably getting DDOSed and don't know how to fix it.

They're server setup and capacities are just plain awful. I work nights & play games at work a lot, and the NA servers do not have these issues at night when the player base is nowhere near as high in daytime. During daylight US hours I start seeing:
lag,

artifacting & textures missing from enemies,

players being shown as base models instead of what they actually look like,

players completely disappearing from view even though you can still see they are damaging enemies you are shooting at,

trouble logging in.

Player queuing, really, this still exists?

This all comes down to bad server quality for the game that is being hosted on it. I don't think they were actually ready for the amount of players that are actively playing. I'd really like to know who's idea it was to assume a player base in the first place. You start massive then if it's more than you need then you can downgrade. I'm really going to be disappointed if it turns out they are trying to host rift and Defiance on a single server cluster. That would just be absolutely down right irresponsibly cutting corners. I've ran private dual pentium 4 servers for certain games(don't ask, due to infringments and legalities) out of my house with less issues.

Just in case, if this is what they were thinking, I'm gonna say it...Breaking a main server up into channels does not reduce the strain on the gateway server from the other clusters if the gateway server cannot originally handle the back and forth data transfer loads. On top of that, having multiple channels fails to work properly if it cannot properly parse players along the channels. I do see many a time one channel population will be desolate while another channel population is overcrowded. Had you added an interface that allows players to switch channels it might help more with load balancing. +1 if you would go to a different less congested channel if you started experiencing any of the symptoms shown above.

Also, by default. I don't remember if it is or not, voice input should be off by default. I still hear some people have not set up their Push to talk key. The problem with this is they probably have their stereo mix setting enabled in Win 7. With stereo mix on (some games require it to be on just to launch, but defiance does not, so they may have forgotten it's on)that's when people start hearing that player's game playing(even if they don't have a mic plugged in). That is an extreme waste of useful bandwidth.

Don't get me wrong Trion, I don't hate you guys, and I think you have something great here with defiance (I did not like rift however). But community input should not be overlooked as ranting. Without you the game would never have existed, I get this and thank you, I find Defiance fun to play, but without players the game will cease to exist.

For those of you who may not understand what i meant by saying, Defiance's server channels, example video here:
Note: adding a person to a group will not bring them to your channel. Must use "Go to friend"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xAQCYOxl0c

ironcladtrash
08-29-2013, 05:55 PM
They're server setup and capacities are just plain awful. I work nights & play games at work a lot, and the NA servers do not have these issues at night when the player base is nowhere near as high in daytime. During daylight US hours I start seeing:
lag,

artifacting & textures missing from enemies,

players being shown as base models instead of what they actually look like,

[/video]

This problem was way outside of the typical lag stuff like artifacts or players being shown as default model. It's definitely fixed now. I can deal with the normal lag issues it doesn't prevent me from shooting stuff in the face. This was game stoppingly bad.

I know some of the other problems you mention are because of the limitations on the consoles. Since the memory, cpu, and video are so underpowered compared to a computer, the PC side gets shafted. They won't change the game much between the systems. Maybe if the game sticks around for a while when the next gen systems come out this will all change. I know they still have server problems too but I can't even speculate on that. All I know about servers is what they are.

VicousBlood
08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
This problem was way outside of the typical lag stuff like artifacts or players being shown as default model. It's definitely fixed now. I can deal with the normal lag issues it doesn't prevent me from shooting stuff in the face. This was game stoppingly bad.

I know some of the other problems you mention are because of the limitations on the consoles. Since the memory, cpu, and video are so underpowered compared to a computer, the PC side gets shafted. They won't change the game much between the systems. Maybe if the game sticks around for a while when the next gen systems come out this will all change. I know they still have server problems too but I can't even speculate on that. All I know about servers is what they are.

Console limitations have no bearance on what a server machine can or cannot handle when it comes to load. That all comes down to hardware setup and bandwidth on the servers/slaves themselves. I work on servers daily, and have built many for my company. Ours have less clients that are connected but require much more massive back and forth data transfers. I know the differences are very small when it comes to the PC/console versions. But those differences are things that can be fixed, patched, upgraded on the client(if trion ever chooses to do those things). I'm talking about the things that are truly out of the end users (players)hands.

ironcladtrash
08-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Console limitations have no bearance on what a server machine can or cannot handle when it comes to load. That all comes down to hardware setup and bandwidth on the servers/slaves themselves. I work on servers daily, and have built many for my company. Ours have less clients that are connected but require much more massive back and forth data transfers. I know the differences are very small when it comes to the PC/console versions. But those differences are things that can be fixed, patched, upgraded on the client(if trion ever chooses to do those things). I'm talking about the things that are truly out of the end users (players)hands.

The only example problem I can think of a on the PC is the draw distance. They said because of the consoles they won't increase it on the PC. I am sure there are other examples but I don't know. And I do not work on servers like you or program to be able to tell the difference between what can be done locally and what can't.

WARDUKE
08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I am still convinced that they could add something to the PC launcher, which has nothing to do with the console, that will allow us players to set the draw distance. They already have the "Settings" option on the launcher, just need to add that function to it.

You can do it on Rift via cfg file in the Rift folder if you really wanted. Sadly, Defiance doesn't have this option..

VicousBlood
08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
The only example problem I can think of a on the PC is the draw distance. They said because of the consoles they won't increase it on the PC. I am sure there are other examples but I don't know. And I do not work on servers like you or program to be able to tell the difference between what can be done locally and what can't.

Draw distance is client sided all it would need on PC is a patch.

vdeadpoolv
08-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Im having the same issues out here in California on the 360, for the past 2 days. I work all day and want to play defiance when I get home. Sucks

dahanese
08-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Hey guys -

Just got off a call with our group and they are working on this issue. We are working on some fixed that may be helping all of you (but not all) and more importantly we're still working to pin down the exact cause.

I'll keep briefing you guys throughout the day as I have new info.

Edit: I'm also making one official thread for this so I don't have to hop around to each platform forum. :)

xxdarkxwarxx
08-30-2013, 10:53 AM
the post about the lag problem is so late people want to play the game and not lag out so the team at work on this problem has know about it since the game came out this is not a new problem

ironcladtrash
08-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Hey guys -

Just got off a call with our group and they are working on this issue. We are working on some fixed that may be helping all of you (but not all) and more importantly we're still working to pin down the exact cause.

I'll keep briefing you guys throughout the day as I have new info.

Edit: I'm also making one official thread for this so I don't have to hop around to each platform forum. :)

Thanks for the update. If you want to close this off that would be fine. People can respond to your official one

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?130289-Official-thread-about-ongoing-lag-issues