PDA

View Full Version : Dark Matter Arkfall

Thomas1975
08-28-2013, 08:41 PM
A little Respect goes a long way. It seems like some people think it is cool to run around Green at major Dark Matter Arkfalls. This is not what the government meant by think green. You are hurting a lot of players because the longer the Arkfall last the greater the chance someone has of getting a DC. So please stop setting off the Ego charge when there is no enemy to kill. It is pointless.

SHADOWBROKER
08-28-2013, 08:44 PM
lol i feel you and just gotta say look how long it took them to stop killing skitterlings at arkfalls.

Thomas1975
08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
You are right. I should make a wall of shame and when I see them do it, get there name and post it there. Then everyone could have fun with them...lol

Greezy
08-28-2013, 09:25 PM
You're wasting your time lol. I rage EVERY damn darkfall because of this. It does nothing.....nothing at all lol

Escyos
08-28-2013, 11:05 PM
I wager many people are unsure as to what that does. I did my first DM arkfall a few days ago and had no idea what that was when I used it.

WARDUKE
08-28-2013, 11:22 PM
I wager many people are unsure as to what that does. I did my first DM arkfall a few days ago and had no idea what that was when I used it.

Ah, but the moment the enemy has it and you don't, you'll understand how powerful it is.

Yes, people waste it all the time. You can't stop them. All you can do is get Trion to have is charge more frequently to offset the stupidity.

Dracian
08-28-2013, 11:25 PM
EGO Boost is the new Skitterling... Sadly.

M0G
08-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Greed.

People will always be greedy...

they could care less if there is an enemy there or not, they just want to glow green, and be the one who hit the button.

I just sit by the button now, and wait for the next person to set it off (one time, there was a group of 7 of us who waited for eachother....)

M0G
08-28-2013, 11:26 PM
EGO Boost is the new Skitterling... Sadly.

Ohhh might have to put that in the sig

Dracian
08-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Ohhh might have to put that in the sig

Feel free to use it, dude ;)

Tekrunner
08-28-2013, 11:34 PM
In an ideal world people wouldn't even use these boosts to fight the dark matter adds (they're easy and fast enough to kill with a bunch of people). They would keep them for the monolith itself. I don't see that happening though...

I wish EGO boosts worked differently. Instead of activating instantly, you would get a charge that you can use whenever you want within the next minute or so. Then people could choose to activate it when a motivator or the tachmag drive is exposed. And you couldn't be griefed by people who activate the boosts when no one is in sight.

Also, if the chat worked right, I could yell at others to stop doing it. It sort of worked for skitterlings, sometimes...

DAG
08-28-2013, 11:43 PM
I usually just stand next to one until someone activates it lol, i make sure i got a good angle against the monolith or towards DM

Deirachel
08-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Once again, this is not completely correct. Using the EGO boost during the "defeat the waves" breaks is stupid, but using the EGO boosts during the "destroy the core" breaks is acutally a good idea. Kill all the bad guys, then boost and hit the core to blow it. (DON'T FORGET ALL DARK MATTER ARK FALLS INCLUDE BOTH TYPES OF MINORS.)

drackiller
08-29-2013, 04:26 AM
Once again, this is not completely correct. Using the EGO boost during the "defeat the waves" breaks is stupid, but using the EGO boosts during the "destroy the core" breaks is acutally a good idea. Kill all the bad guys, then boost and hit the core to blow it. (DON'T FORGET ALL DARK MATTER ARK FALLS INCLUDE BOTH TYPES OF MINORS.)

And sadly, yesterday, for the first time since i play this game one arkfall timed out.
Greedy, selfish, uncooperative, you name it...
I was the only one shooting at the core.

Thomas1975
08-29-2013, 04:43 AM
I have yet to fail a DM Arkfall, but I know that day is coming. Like I said it is greed that some do it but for the most part it is just children being children (I blame their parents). Contacting Trion concerning this matter is a joke as they donít even respond to most things now days. Hell last night they reset the server and nothing was posted on the forums and only got a 15 min warning in game. Plus if we did all they will do is nerf all the fun out of it like everything else.

Eltruism
08-29-2013, 05:37 AM
I play how ever I want to play. I usually park myself near it and wait until I see a large HP enemy appear or until someone else uses it. But, if I am at the last arkfall and the one I am at is ready and I see another one charging, I'll use it and run towards the one charging it at light speed to keep it going. Don't really care if someone else is upset about that - if they are upset, they should get their OCD in check.

Pharis Link
08-29-2013, 05:54 AM
Last night the DM Arkfall took forever but didn't time out. Compared to over last weekend it seems like Trion added more DM toons because there was a slew of them and over the weekend I could barely find one. That or people just killed them alot faster.

BertReynolds
08-29-2013, 07:05 AM

Yeaaaah, just like people didnt know the skitterlings opened up crystal weak spots. Remember when they "fixed" that and there was magically less explosives used? People are always going to grief arkfalls. Now they will do the green thing more because they know it gets a rise out of people.

Kibblehouse
08-29-2013, 07:26 AM
For one I did not know using the boost made it unavailable later, I am used to games where when a boost pops you power up. I thought they were on a timer and would pop reguardless of when the last one was used. Plus grabbing the boost keeps the DM NPCs from grabbing it, which is a good thing (yes I have seen a few fights where this was an issue). If I had not seen this thread I would not have any way of knowing I was wrong.

That said, I am not running around green during the Monolith fight. I do use the boost on the crystal when I can (and yes I did seem to be the only one doing that) In the final fight I am usually too busy or out of position to grab a boost, let alone use it on the Motivator or tachmag drive. Have to try that tonight.

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
A little Respect goes a long way. It seems like some people think it is cool to run around Green at major Dark Matter Arkfalls. This is not what the government meant by think green. You are hurting a lot of players because the longer the Arkfall last the greater the chance someone has of getting a DC. So please stop setting off the Ego charge when there is no enemy to kill. It is pointless.

You can either decide to be angry about it (not saying you really are angry), or live with it, or see if you can get them to stop by asking.

The problem is with so many people at the DM arkfalls and all that happens in them, and with some using BMGs to make sure they get all 6 keys or for tagging, explosions, vehicles, and all that--lag happens. And some people just don't have the timing down right or don't know what that's for--still happens, people don't get it. As for lag, sometimes it makes it impossible to see enemies-and I know all the rampant BMGing does that too. And people often have their tvs turned down so their mics don't pick up the audio or because they don't want to hear EGO talking anymore. So she could say "watch out for stampeding elephants" and a lot of people would never hear it.

It isn't simply a matter of the longer the arkfall takes the more people will get DCed. If that's the argument to be used then we should have a list of things people are not allowed to do at arkfalls because people will get DCed. A lot of people don't realize what contributes to lag and don't relate it to something they're doing because when they cause it, it lags someone else out.

An example is if I'm constantly spamming my BMG and not really healing anyone, I may not lag myself out, but I will lag a lot of other people out. If a few of us are driving our Raptors around at arkfalls, it won't lag us out but might lag out someone riding in the back or other people at the arkfall. If doing these things lagged out the person causing the lag, they might understand it better.

It really would help if people thought about it for a second and realized it's best to go green when either the Monolith is on the ground or the Dark Matter guys, but it's unrealistic to think everyone will always do the best thing.

Trik
08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
The Dark Matter mechanics are just poorly thought out in general. The major ones take so so much longer than they need too due to people wasting ego charge and the small ones can completely screw over a small group of players because some genius thought it was a good idea to let the mobs get the damage boost too.

nateD
08-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I understand you well, but I'm not sure if your call will change anything.

For example, since the launch day, like thousands times has been told: "don't kill the skitterlings" at 'destroy the crystal' arkfalls. And ppl still stubbornly doing this :p

Samuraisloth
08-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Truth is, most people seem to turn their brain off when it comes to games. They don't study patterns, weaknesses or vary their methods. This is why so many struggle in PvP. Take the Skitterlings in Arkfalls for example; your ego alerts you to the fact that they are opening weak spots in the crystal, yet still people kill them or spam explosives. Unless they are slapped in the face with " Don't kill the Skitterling- doing so will mean you will take an extra 5 mins to Destroy this" then they'll just keep plugging away mindlessly.

A s0t
08-29-2013, 09:48 AM
a monarch with the green bonus is pretty funny
i did not do it. it was already green when i showed up

A s0t
a monarch with the green bonus is pretty funny
i did not do it. it was already green when i showed up

Trik
Truth is, most people seem to turn their brain off when it comes to games. They don't study patterns, weaknesses or vary their methods. This is why so many struggle in PvP. Take the Skitterlings in Arkfalls for example; your ego alerts you to the fact that they are opening weak spots in the crystal, yet still people kill them or spam explosives. Unless they are slapped in the face with " Don't kill the Skitterling- doing so will mean you will take an extra 5 mins to Destroy this" then they'll just keep plugging away mindlessly.

This is mostly because a lot of modern games encourage people to turn their brains off. Little exists to make you need to think to hard about what you are doing. Thinking in Defiance boils down to "Shoot at the head/glowing spot until it dies". It's so bad that I actually had a siege where people were shooting at the capture point node instead of the volge..

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-29-2013, 09:55 AM
This is mostly because a lot of modern games encourage people to turn their brains off. Little exists to make you need to think to hard about what you are doing. Thinking in Defiance boils down to "Shoot at the head/glowing spot until it dies". It's so bad that I actually had a siege where people were shooting at the capture point node instead of the volge..

It's the hip thing to do with skill based shooters.
I agree this game takes no skill & half the time you don't even need to pay attention

Tekrunner
08-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Must... shoot... big... ark... thingy...

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 09:58 AM

The skitterling thing was a complete non-issue. Some people wanted to kill them and didn't care about the weak spots. They had their reasons for doing this-loot, scrip, and salvage drops are some examples of why. Others wanted the weak spots to open up, so they could get the high damage and get the arkfall over with as quickly as possible and be on top of the leaderboard.

And none of that even matters. I never had one single red crystal arkfall (including the majors) time out. And that's the only thing that should matter to everyone in the skitterling debate. If arkfalls were constantly timing out and killing skitterlings was the cause, well that's one thing, but I know of no one who said that ever happened. And as someone who also focused on weak spots, I can tell you there were always enough of them, no matter what-I actually appreciated it when not everyone was going for the weak spots, as I was doing the most damage.

I can understand people wanting to get the arkfalls over with quickly, but that's their want and isn't everyone else's. People want to do different things in this game. It's even more obvious now that you get weapon xp at arkfalls.

It's like this-someone's doing something you don't like and you think that's selfish (not your words, this is an example). But from their perspective you are selfish since you don't want them to do what they're doing. You want the arkfall over with quickly. Maybe they don't (and people have complained about this). Neither person is wrong-they just want different things. The same argument was used about the San Quentin Hulker. Some were using him for weapon xp, so didn't want him killed. Others wanted to kill him for the reward he dropped. Oh well, adjust, adapt, and just let it go.

3rdpig
08-29-2013, 10:00 AM
The only thing more pointless than setting off the ego boost when there's nothing to shoot at is posting a message on a board of hardcore gamers with instructions for PUGs and expecting things to change. In other words, you're preaching to the choir.

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
everything in this game is poorly thought out lol

Actually, no everything is not. What sometimes is poor is the understanding of it by some players that just want to race through stuff all the time and then moan, "there's nothing to do".

There are at least two sides to every instance. And two ways to look at things. On the one side are people that say "hurry up, get the arkfall done". They have their agenda and it's not wrong. On the other side are people that may say, "I don't want arkfalls over in two minutes". They have their agenda and it's not wrong.

People often have reasons for doing what they're doing, but few are willing to believe any of that matters. I want what I want so what you want doesn't matter. That's the prevailing "wisdom". The game offers different ways to go about doing things. What it's not so good at offering is some slam dunk super weapon that instantly destroys all so people can just ram through everything in 2 minutes. The closest to this kind of thing are the exploits that keep being found.

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
The only thing more pointless than setting off the ego boost when there's nothing to shoot at is posting a message on a board of hardcore gamers with instructions for PUGs and expecting things to change. In other words, you're preaching to the choir.
Yep.

The "going green" issue is most likely a misunderstanding. And it takes very few people to mess it up or misunderstanding it to do the wrong thing. One person at a time activates it. And sometimes, Dark Matter themselves activate it as well. So, how about telling Dark Matter to stop it-it will have about as much effect as yelling in chat is having.

Nilxain
08-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeaaaah, just like people didnt know the skitterlings opened up crystal weak spots. Remember when they "fixed" that and there was magically less explosives used? People are always going to grief arkfalls. Now they will do the green thing more because they know it gets a rise out of people.

I think that one's in your head man, there are no less explosions now than there ever were. This is simply a case of people not knowing. Sure there will always be people that do stuff just to be annoying, but those people are by far the minority.

A simple rule of thumb when it comes to pushing buttons: Don't do what you don't know. Simply by observing, people will figure out what things do - sadly, this will never happen. The EGO Boost really is "the new skitterling."

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Actually, that's partly untrue and is a real mistake too many people make. It works in groups at sieges, but generally not that well out in the open world alone. If you do that then you're going to die, a lot. Other things do take more strategy and consideration. Things that do engage the brain.

And those things are where some of the biggest complaints are about the game-people either want weaker enemies at times or stronger ones and stronger weapons to counter them which equals weaker enemies. They want to find that holy grail weapon that allows them to bulldoze through everything, but the game does not have one. And that pisses some people off. So much for using the old brain. I prefer the game when it's about not just running and gunning and more about tactics. It's one of my real complaints about volge sieges-the Afflicted killed a heck of a lot more people.

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I think that one's in your head man, there are no less explosion now than there ever were. This is simply a case of people not knowing. Sure there will always be people that do stuff just to be annoying, but those people are by far the minority.

A simple rule of thumb when it comes to pushing buttons: Don't do what you don't know. Simply by observing, people will figure out what things do - sadly, this will never happen. The EGO Boost really is "the new skitterling."

I agree that was part of it, but not the only reason.

If you use some weapons at arkfalls you can maximize the loot you get (and scrip and salvage). This was another reason people did it and still do it. People use BMGs now for that a lot of the time, but also use detonators and the other stuff-anything that will do some damage to a lot of things at once. So when they're killed, they get the drops along with some xp (and now weapon xp). I've done hundreds and hundreds of arkfalls, even focused on them long ago before doing most of the story missions. I never had one timeout-so none have failed because people were killing skitterlings. Not once.

If I want the arkfall over quickly, that's my want. If someone else wants to kill lots of things before the arkfall ends, that's their want. Neither is wrong. As long as the arkfall does not time out.

WARDUKE
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Not only will a BMG make sure you get max ark fall keys at the end, but it can be used to get ammo to refill dead guns simply by link healing people that are killing the the lesser spawn mobs.

Another way to boost your numbers is get out of those over populated mini arkfalls that lead up to the major. I often bail from the arkfall everyone is on so I can solo or two/three man another. People need to spread out more..

Lanceknight
08-29-2013, 12:19 PM
lol i feel you and just gotta say look how long it took them to stop killing skitterlings at arkfalls.

my god how can people still be so stupid to not understand that people were killing the skitterlings for the pursuit. I wonder how some people breathe with their nose's up their *****, cause they so look down on people so much that they actually bend over backwards

drackiller
08-29-2013, 12:36 PM
my god how can people still be so stupid to not understand that people were killing the skitterlings for the pursuit. I wonder how some people breathe with their nose's up their *****, cause they so look down on people so much that they actually bend over backwards

How about not calling names to other players !?
I did that pursuit easy, playing the game and not killing the little ones at red cristals.
Makes sense , right ?

thejx4
08-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Ah, but the moment the enemy has it and you don't, you'll understand how powerful it is.

Yes, people waste it all the time. You can't stop them. All you can do is get Trion to have is charge more frequently to offset the stupidity.

While I think it's common sense, or better yet a bit of trial and error, Trion didn't actually explain anything about it. At all. Like a lot of things in the game.

Anyways, they'll probably "fix" this by limiting how often the damn thing even activates. Probably so that EGO Charge will only occur during an active enemy wave. Ya know, instead of actually fixing the root issue.

thejx4
08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Actually, that's partly untrue and is a real mistake too many people make. It works in groups at sieges, but generally not that well out in the open world alone. If you do that then you're going to die, a lot. Other things do take more strategy and consideration. Things that do engage the brain.

And those things are where some of the biggest complaints are about the game-people either want weaker enemies at times or stronger ones and stronger weapons to counter them which equals weaker enemies. They want to find that holy grail weapon that allows them to bulldoze through everything, but the game does not have one. And that pisses some people off. So much for using the old brain. I prefer the game when it's about not just running and gunning and more about tactics. It's one of my real complaints about volge sieges-the Afflicted killed a heck of a lot more people.

Who gets killed by the Afflicted? They are literally the easiest enemies to handle. They run straight at you and have no weapons. Easy crits.

Spiltmilk
08-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Well before you guys have a battle royale on this topic, just know there are two types of Hellbug arkfalls. The one with Kill Waves and the other where the Skitterlings open weak spots. I've seen players at the Kill Waves screaming not to kill hell bugs, so I know there's some folks that are just as clueless.

Thomas1975
08-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Ok first this topic was not about Hellbug Arkfalls, but about people setting off the Ego boost at Dark Matter Arkfalls. Trion Fixed the Hellbug Arkfalls so the weak spots open without the Skitterlings causing them, so this problem is solved. All I was asking is for people to stop setting off the Ego boost, nothing more.

ten4
08-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Another way to boost your numbers is get out of those over populated mini arkfalls that lead up to the major. I often bail from the arkfall everyone is on so I can solo or two/three man another. People need to spread out more..

Not everyone wants arkfall to be over so fast. Often times these are excellent places to get weapon/character exp and or to complete certain pursuits.

ie I exp'd up FOUR different weapons in one major dm arkfall all due to it being upscaled by more players + that glorious buff. Now imagine if a player needed exp of any sort (I don't)...I would guess that with this particular arkfall, you could gain exp 10x the rate than prior to the DLC.

You might think you are being helpful but in reality you are being selfish and inconsiderate of others. But I am sure you already know that.

Jet1337
08-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I'll be honest, I set off all the boosts because what's the point of killing the construct faster if I'm trying to level my ****? If the construct is dying at a faster rate, then I'm leveling my weapons at a slower rate. This game is more solo-oriented than anything else. Call it greed, but I'm trying to get **** done. You all are ****ing up my progress, or at least that's the way I see it.

Trik
08-29-2013, 08:05 PM
I'll be honest, I set off all the boosts because what's the point of killing the construct faster if I'm trying to level my ****? If the construct is dying at a faster rate, then I'm leveling my weapons at a slower rate. This game is more solo-oriented than anything else. Call it greed, but I'm trying to get **** done. You all are ****ing up my progress, or at least that's the way I see it.

*sigh* people like this are the problem with modern MMOs.

Jet1337
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
*sigh* people like this are the problem with modern MMOs.

Actually, you can blame this one on Trion for not making this game more multiplayer-reliant. I feel like I shouldn't be able to play an MMO and be successful by myself. It's called an MMO for a reason.

Samuraisloth
08-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Actually, you can blame this one on Trion for not making this game more multiplayer-reliant. I feel like I shouldn't be able to play an MMO and be successful by myself. It's called an MMO for a reason.

I think you're meeting his point. Setting off the ego boosts early is harming your xp leveling, not helping it. weapon xp is earned on a per damage basis. saving the boost for the monolith just means you'll level up about 5 time faster.

Thomas1975
08-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I think you're meeting his point. Setting off the ego boosts early is harming your xp leveling, not helping it. weapon xp is earned on a per damage basis. saving the boost for the monolith just means you'll level up about 5 time faster.

I agree and if he want to play alone buy a FPS not an MMO

kasaitenma
08-30-2013, 11:21 PM
as the subject says its gotten ridiculous. this doesnt have to be something selfish like weapon exp, ppl will activate the ego boost and immediately run to the next one they see. patience if a virtue and so is playing smart. just w8 till you see ships in the air or the monolith on the ground and then go hulk. tis not so much to ask and ull get a higher score for killing enemies in mass, it did take a long time to see ppl y skitterings shouldnt be killed but then it became about explosives so lets end it here

this is a large part of y i think the gamer culture is imploding on itself, a perfect storm of pure selfishness and stupidity.

keep this thread bumpped plz such action are indefensible

Billy Guile
08-31-2013, 02:43 AM
i hate the activation without enemy around just as much as you, but making a thread on a forum that has 1% of the Defiance population on it, isn't going to help you case much. and your font on here is making my eyeballs hurt on a 55 inch tv :D

Deirachel
08-31-2013, 03:43 AM
It even helps to wait for something to kill to boost for weapon XP. Each point of damage = weapon XP. Increase your damage output = increase in weapon XP

WARDUKE
08-31-2013, 03:43 AM
You might think you are being helpful but in reality you are being selfish and inconsiderate of others. But I am sure you already know that.

Wow you really are full of yourself there. Whose to say that you are no the selfish one for trying to stretch out an Arkfall as long as possible. But I am sure you already know that.