PDA

View Full Version : Get in the show characters

Escyos
08-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Firstly, Is anyone else REALLY glad that the writers are coming up with a backstory for the character as opposed to letting the user come up with something. (I don't mean to harass anyone but some of the backstories I have read are so terrible and always tend to start off with the character coming to the Defiance universe from the Dr. Who universe through a portal. C'mon!)

Secondly, I wonder how they intend to bring that character into the show. I wager that based on its complexity that the character will have a large presence. Maybe they bring something or someone to Defiance from the Bay Area, something that needed to be hand delivered.

I also wonder how the player will view the portrayal of their character. I do see some people (not any of the chosen few, although I only recognize two of them) getting annoyed that they are played so different then how they view themselves.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
08-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Actually don't care either way. Know things like this give some people things to look forward to or try to do which is pretty good on trions part but not something I'm interested in.

A s0t
08-28-2013, 11:55 PM
this is still a thing? thought they would have nerfed it by now

Sanguinesun
08-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Judging from the criticism on FB when they were introducing the 10 to ready for the pop voting, most just dont like the whole thing. Dont blame em.

PseudoCool
08-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Not really geeked about it myself.. infact I didn't even participate. No way in the world is some "writer" going to tweak and decide how my character is played. Especially when I've used the same character name (and rpg persona when needed) for more than a decade.

I understand all about creative license and the need to keep things in check with the consistantcy of the Defiance storyline and setting, but giving over control of my alter-ego's vibe to someone I've never met and probably never gamed with.. yeah.. not happening.

That's akin to Ian Fleming giving over control of James Bond to someone else... you lose the whole spirit of the character.

August Barkley
08-29-2013, 06:25 AM
A summary of these scenarios is still banal. "Chasing a friend who betrayed him" ... A feeling that the five-year boy invented it! How about a "fugitive from justice cannibal, serial killer and ******"? :D

You could come up with something a little more unusual. Personally, I came up with a biography for my two characters and it is much more complicated, more interesting and tragic.

Mr Pain
08-29-2013, 06:34 AM
If I win im not that worried about how they portray my character. I just hope they make me a villain. I have played a few mmos before. One of them a player wrote a book (not sure if it got published, I know he was tring to get it published). I was the main villain in it. If someone is that worried about their characters "story" then they shouldn't enter this type of contest.

August Barkley
08-29-2013, 06:51 AM
If I win im not that worried about how they portray my character.

But then what is the point to participate? Just to see your nickname in the credits? Moreover, people do not even know what your character looks like because of the helmet. The organizers can make a dog's @ss instead of the face and call it with your nickname. I do not think you'll will be delighted.

Also, you are completely delegate to them full powers to write a biography. Your character can be anyone in the end. But all you care about is the nickname on the show`s screen. It feels wrong ... Or have I misunderstood, maybe.

Trik
08-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Firstly, Is anyone else REALLY glad that the writers are coming up with a backstory for the character as opposed to letting the user come up with something. (I don't mean to harass anyone but some of the backstories I have read are so terrible and always tend to start off with the character coming to the Defiance universe from the Dr. Who universe through a portal. C'mon!)

Secondly, I wonder how they intend to bring that character into the show. I wager that based on its complexity that the character will have a large presence. Maybe they bring something or someone to Defiance from the Bay Area, something that needed to be hand delivered.

I also wonder how the player will view the portrayal of their character. I do see some people (not any of the chosen few, although I only recognize two of them) getting annoyed that they are played so different then how they view themselves.

The only way I would have been ok with it is if they hired Nathan Fillion to play my character.

A s0t
08-29-2013, 09:15 AM
The only way I would have been ok with it is if they hired Nathan Fillion to play my character.over rated where adam baldwin at

Trik
08-29-2013, 09:25 AM
over rated where adam baldwin at

Adam Baldwin would have been acceptable too, but only if I got his stylish hat.

Indra Echo
08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
If I win im not that worried about how they portray my character. I just hope they make me a villain. I have played a few mmos before. One of them a player wrote a book (not sure if it got published, I know he was tring to get it published). I was the main villain in it. If someone is that worried about their characters "story" then they shouldn't enter this type of contest.

I think it actually goes even further-people are tending to want this game to be more of an RPG. That actually means you'd end up not playing the character in your biography but entering a character created by Trion.

If someone has a bio tied to a character they created, I'm pretty sure that having that character even if in name only be ported into the show should be some sort of recognition enough.

It's their IP. I can imagine some who feel some sort of ownership of their character getting upset that their back story was "stolen" and then used by the creators in the show. Especially if some have had things about them published in any form--that creates a copyright and copyright "laws" are very specious. Even if permission is given. They don't want to use another's IP, so they're creating their own. It's understandable. Normally.

August Barkley
08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
lol, show is filmed in Canada, but were not allowed to enter the contest....?

Go trion!

Because they're still jealous of this guy!

http://sharetv.org/images/due_south_ca-show.jpg

Mr Pain
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
But then what is the point to participate? Just to see your nickname in the credits? Moreover, people do not even know what your character looks like because of the helmet. The organizers can make a dog's @ss instead of the face and call it with your nickname. I do not think you'll will be delighted.

Also, you are completely delegate to them full powers to write a biography. Your character can be anyone in the end. But all you care about is the nickname on the show`s screen. It feels wrong ... Or have I misunderstood, maybe.
My point of view is this.. Trion doesn't owe any of us anything other than a game to play. Every other game on the xbox I played you get x hours of game play and thats it. This is the 1st MMO on the console that I have seen. Trion doesn't charge us a montly/yearly fee to play this game like other MMO's. They pay to keep the servers running their tec team to debug and the only revenue they get is dlc and add on besides the inital cost of the game. So the fact that they are having contests to put peoples game characters on television is unheard of. So If they want to write my character running around in a pink dress I could care less. Reason being my character would be the 1st ever video game character to appear in a tv show via a contest. Thats good enough for me. If my characters on the show for 3 minutes and gets shot in the face and is dead. Thats something i can tell my kids friends ect. I will burn it to dvd and tell folks " Hey check this out my game character ended up on the show". For people to expect a creative say in a Major television production because they won a contest is ludicrous IMHO. What would be way above and beyond would be to get a trip to go see an episode filming that my character is in and get some pictures with the cast. or like a prop that my character used. Really I would be happy just watching my kids see my character on a television show.

Any one who has played Sniper Ghost Warrior (worst game I have ever played) should applaud Trion for the improvments that they have made. But it seems there is so much hate rolling out of people on here and facebook....