PDA

View Full Version : Store Prices - What happened?

Ridrith
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
880 for a outfit. 440 for a helmet. Almost 20 dollars to obtain a full outfit, really? Lockboxes were also taken up to 400 bits a box. I thought the prices were pretty fair when it came down to it, why should outfits cost so much to begin with? It was still 5-10 dollars per outfit, was that not enough money? Is the store not finished yet because of the early release? I really hope what I'm looking at isn't final. I was going to throw down over 100 dollars on bits today but if the prices are staying like that I won't be doing that for sure. Especially when most of the ones I was going to buy were just recolored version of one another but I liked the look.

dirtyklingon
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
it was obv prices were going to be changed, most likely upwards.

Ridrith
04-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Was it obvious? How was 5 dollars not fair? Especially when they had like 30 different outfits on the market, most of which, once again, were just recolored versions of one another. 880 for one outfit that offers nothing but looks is just price gouging. I'm sure people will pay it, but they lost my 100 dollars today. Had I known prices were going to jump up that high I might have thought twice before buying in after playing through two of the beta weekends.

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
It seems to me that they jacked the prices so high because they DON'T WANT people spending bits right now. The game isn't live until midnight, and they're probably just going to wipe characters right before then. So they don't want people wasting their bits and then clamoring for refunds.

Ridrith
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I would be okay with that, but are we even sure there's going to be a wipe? I was under the impression that the servers were live right now.

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I would be okay with that, but are we even sure there's going to be a wipe? I was under the impression that the servers were live right now.

If the "Official Release" is set for Midnight EST and it is not yet that time, then clearly they're not live. This is currently like a final check/test for tonight. Assume everything will be wiped.

N0va
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
IKR prices too damned expensive now. I refuse to buy them if they will keep that price. I do hope you are right Oneandonly.

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Oneandonly.

It's Xtheoneandonly....as in X, The One and Only

Munx
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Never really intended to spend any bits, but these bit prices don't make any sense to me.. I can't belive trion would be stupid enough to over price virtual items by this much? All it does is create a hostile reaction toward trion, and less overall sales.

Its virtual items.. you make more or equal selling much rather then little at insane prices.. Im by no means a expert at economics, but this is pretty basic stuff..

And I don't belive trion would set prices high to discourage people from buying early, this kind of reaction is exactly why they would want to avoid doing such a foolish thing.

Ridrith
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Boxes at 400, honestly, I can deal with that. Mostly because I can get those in game fairly easily if I just wanted to grind Arkfalls and other events. Some of those outfits though, I wanted a ton of them. I know they were just recolored versions but I didn't care. I thought stuff looked cool and I was planning on buying multiple outfits today. At least 5-10 outfits. That would still net them 3000+ worth of bits money. I just truly hope that this isn't live. I'd be very sad, especially since I thought the shop was a pretty good indication as to what we'd be looking at in terms of bit pricing. Since it didn't really change during the beta at all. (At least not the two events I was a part of.)

Violation
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
They'll make more money like this... they'll release less expensive stuff for those who don't want to drop the $$$ and then more expensive stuff for those who want separation and visible upscale appearance from those who only dropped $$. This is an item mall game where it is nearly $15/month for any halfway decent game they need to average that on item mall or the game will be lower quality (if they cannot pay the development staff or make a profit they will lose content and adverts).

I'm actually expecting to see some in-game advertisements as well. Many of these games should start having main cities have billboards and sell adverts on those boards. It's excellent exposure to a product. Fairly sure people will complain about paying for a game and then seeing adverts but it's a way to pay for servers that doesn't come out of your pocket monthly... so it's okay imo.

Reza
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
It's Xtheoneandonly....as in X, The One and Only

Seriously guy?

This isn't a test they are opening the flood gates early so that every person who pre-ordered doesn't try to log in at the same exact time and cause server problems.

Back on topic though,

Did they change the cost for in game currency on the vendors as well?

Fiontar
04-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Add me to the list of those who would have gladly spent money in the cash shop, but won't touch it at all if these new prices are the real prices.

I really think people running these games go brain dead at launch. It should be basic economics to understand that you make more total revenue by finding a price point that encourages the widest possible sales of virtual goods. There is no "per unit cost", so you just need to price for volume sales and overall revenue. the chuckle over someone dropping $20 for a virtual outfit is not worth the millions in revenue you lose by pricing most players right out of your cash shop!

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Seriously guy?

This isn't a test they are opening the flood gates early so that every person who pre-ordered doesn't try to log in at the same exact time and cause server problems.

Back on topic though,

Did they change the cost for in game currency on the vendors as well?
Actually, if you read the sticky, it's exactly how I spelled it out....They are currently in a testing phase and characters will most likely be wiped before midnight.

Munx
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Xthe, seen the sticky, what he is saying is they MIGHT lose theyr progress, if data is lost etc.. Its fairly clear there wont be a intentional wipe..

I don't really care that ill get in a bit later then those other *******s (sorry im just jelly, honest) :)

However, they wont be changing the code and values 3 hours before release, that is completly unrealistic, the prices you see in shop now are 99% likely to be the ones when it opens up to all..

Mantus
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Actually, if you read the sticky, it's exactly how I spelled it out....They are currently in a testing phase and characters will most likely be wiped before midnight.

No, they wont. This is the actual release. Go away, april fool

Migrayne
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
The prices in beta 3 looked very good. Their is no way I'm going to pay that much for cosmetic stuff. I probably won't buy any bits now.

Very unhappy with this gouging.

DMarko
04-01-2013, 05:31 PM
looks like many of you may want too go read this http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?13032-A-Q-amp-A-on-why-your-servers-might-or-might-not-be-up-right-now
aka this is testing/soft launch

Munx
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
soft launch dosnt mean prices will change, they are testing servers, not prices.

There is no way they would be foolish enough to change prices 3 hours before launch anyways, it would open up to a host of actual game problems.

Xtheoneandonly
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
looks like many of you may want too go read this http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?13032-A-Q-amp-A-on-why-your-servers-might-or-might-not-be-up-right-now
aka this is testing/soft launch

Thanks D....I was too lazy to manually link the sticky for them.

fishboy11
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
No, they wont. This is the actual release. Go away, april fool

the sticky does state that the servers are in test mode right now

Mantus
04-01-2013, 05:37 PM
More like, some of you need to learn what a soft launch is. It doesnt mean beta test. The game has launched, it just may undergo some stability issues as it ramps up. Sorry.

Yonpachi
04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Sooo, I just woke up from my slumber, I've already predicted the server shouldn't be up now.

Started my patcher, usual Patch note, "Server is not launched yet" and blah blah blah.
But LOL I'm in game WTF?!

Pain
04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
It seems to me that they jacked the prices so high because they DON'T WANT people spending bits right now. The game isn't live until midnight, and they're probably just going to wipe characters right before then. So they don't want people wasting their bits and then clamoring for refunds.

I hope this happens.