PDA

View Full Version : Will the Misouri/Defiance region ever be featured in the game?

PunkMaister
08-29-2013, 09:53 PM
I know the game and the show are located in places 1000s of miles apart and that Trion needs to workout the many quirks of the game but it would be awesome to see the Missouri/Defiance region featured in the game even if as an additional separate pack, I would love to see the town characters perhaps get into a duel with Datak Karr or even date Hot Kenya for a night (Well maybe dating Kenya is a bit much :p )

PitBull76
08-29-2013, 09:55 PM
I know the game and the show are located in places 1000s of miles apart and that Trion needs to workout the many quirks of the game but it would be awesome to see the Missouri/Defiance region featured in the game even if as an additional separate pack, I would love to see the town characters perhaps get into a duel with Datak Karr or even date Hot Kenya for a night (Well maybe dating Kenya is a bit much :p )

It would be nice to see the San Francisco area in the game...

TAG
08-29-2013, 10:43 PM
The question is, will there be any body playing this game soon?

PitBull76
08-29-2013, 11:21 PM
If they can fix the serious lag and disconnect issues relatively soon, then yes, I think people will still play. I have been a big fan of the show and game since day one but these latest issues and lack of communication are starting to push even my limits.

x3kingsheat136x
08-29-2013, 11:23 PM
If they can fix the serious lag and disconnect issues relatively soon, then yes, I think people will still play. I have been a big fan of the show and game since day one but these latest issues and lack of communication are starting to push even my limits.

This I agree completely right now we can't trade or play pvp its annoying

Deirachel
08-30-2013, 02:45 AM
Both SyFy and Trion has said the game will never be playable in the Defiance location and the show will never be in San Fran.

drifter848
08-30-2013, 05:43 AM
sad to say but there poor customer support and braindead staff I doubt well see the next 4 dlc s that were promised when I bought the season pass I think the time remaining on this sinking boat is a matter of weeks my dlc was a one time use I played it one night went back the next day to farm rep and the arena access points were gone so whole new area is prob a pipe dream if they cant even get the first dlc to work they couldn't even get the turret on the craptor to function and you want new areas lol youre going to give them strokes with such hight expectations to meet legal issues the next dlcs will be rushed useless stuff like hats or outfits for your character total copout stuff they've given up we should to it was fun while it lasted sorta

x3kingsheat136x
08-30-2013, 05:47 AM
sad to say but there poor customer support and braindead staff I doubt well see the next 4 dlc s that were promised when I bought the season pass I think the time remaining on this sinking boat is a matter of weeks my dlc was a one time use I played it one night went back the next day to farm rep and the arena access points were gone so whole new area is prob a pipe dream if they cant even get the first dlc to work they couldn't even get the turret on the craptor to function and you want new areas lol youre going to give them strokes with such hight expectations to meet legal issues the next dlcs will be rushed useless stuff like hats or outfits for your character total copout stuff they've given up we should to it was fun while it lasted sorta

If you reset the story line this happens allows you to redo all mission

PunkMaister
08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Both SyFy and Trion has said the game will never be playable in the Defiance location and the show will never be in San Fran.

So much for tying the show and game together then. That's a complete departure from the premise of the franchise...

PunkMaister
08-30-2013, 09:34 AM

But if the numbers drop too low the servers will inevitably be shutdown and that will be that as this game cannot be played Solo,

Deirachel
08-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Warning: Wall o' Text incoming. TL: DR at bottom.

So much for tying the show and game together then. That's a complete departure from the premise of the franchise...

Incorrect.

It appears you are under a misunderstanding of the inter-connectivity premise of the franchise. The premise is the two areas are separate, and equal, within the same world at the same time. The events of the game effect the show (and vice versa) in real-ish time. Unlike tie-in games for most different media franchises, where you play in the same universe, but your actions can not effect the canon of the franchise.

Honestly, I think this is the core of most of the complaints about the game. Expectations based on misunderstandings. The above information was widely available months before the game was released. Additionally, most modern gamers have not experienced a MMORPG/MMOTPS launch. Those of us that played WoW, or UO, or Rift, or DDO, or most MMORPGs at launch were expecting a lot of lag, server downtime, and game-killing glitches for the first six months or more. Blizzard didn't straighten out the worst of WoW until month 8 or 9. There are still glitches in WoW and it's 13 years old. But, even this is a incorrect expectation. Defiance isn't a true MMOTPS, but a persistant world TPS with MMO features.

It's this second expectation which is at the core of the complaints of the second main type: content. People hear "MMO" and think huge amounts of content. Yet, this expectation is not found in most TPS/FPS games. We usually expect 30-50 hours of story content per game. Think about the campaign missions of Call of Duty or Battlefield. I completed COD:MW3's campaign in about 21 hours; it was the first shooter I've played since Doom II.

Defiance has to deal with the worst aspects of both genres. The problems of MMOs and the content of the TPS/FPS. Yet, it also has the best parts of both. Large variety of weapons (of varying degrees of effectiveness), multiple types of enemies, group play, PvP play.

Unfortunately, we, as players, are also have to deal with the business issues effecting the game, too. Instead of being able to delay the release to fix glitches and bugs, they HAD to release the game on the date in question (most like by contract agreement with SyFy). Additionally, the lower economy patterns makes development a more difficult business to profit on (look at Sony's disappointment of Hitman: Absolution only selling 36 million copies in the first month). Finally, it appears Trion's upper management took their eye off the ball, so to speak, with the old San Diego studio. The bad communications we experienced externally under the original EP (the out-right false information on multiple issues, the eponymous "Soon") and are still getting to some extent (but, to Dahlanese's credit, it is getting better slowly) is symptomatic of exponentially worse internal communication. (In a perfect world, everyone would know everything and all be on the same page. In a good communication system, if one asks a question of someone who doesn't know, that person knows they aren't the expert and tells you to talk to the person that does know and sends you to THAT person. What seemed to be happening is people THOUGHT they knew what they knew everything and they didn't. From a communication standpoint for example, the demo at E3 the guy driving the truck should have said, "this is the truck from the DLC" and that's it. If asked if it would have a gun turret, aka Cerebrus, he should have responded "I don't know, let me get back to you.") Additionally, the large layoffs of the team back in May, plus the "leaving" of the of the old EP, are circumstantial evidence of this loss of guidance. Yes, development teams are often scaled back once a game launches. But, in a game with as many problems as Defiance had in May, usually you see a company get most of it fixed before the scale down (or the turn over the staff by laying off AND hiring a new group).

Does this mean we need to just deal with it? To an extent. What I suggest is simple. Either help fix the game by submitting clear, exact, and simple bug reports when you have a problem. If you have a suggestion, post it in simple, clear (English on the English side), and easy to read manner. Or, if you think it's too much, stop playing. Maybe come back later, maybe not.

TL: DR - If you don't try putting your expectations into the game, you are more likely to have fun with it. Find a bug, report it. If you are not having fun, quit

PunkMaister
08-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Warning: Wall o' Text incoming. TL: DR at bottom.

Incorrect.

It appears you are under a misunderstanding of the inter-connectivity premise of the franchise. The premise is the two areas are separate, and equal, within the same world at the same time. The events of the game effect the show (and vice versa) in real-ish time. Unlike tie-in games for most different media franchises, where you play in the same universe, but your actions can not effect the canon of the franchise.

Honestly, I think this is the core of most of the complaints about the game. Expectations based on misunderstandings. The above information was widely available months before the game was released. Additionally, most modern gamers have not experienced a MMORPG/MMOTPS launch. Those of us that played WoW, or UO, or Rift, or DDO, or most MMORPGs at launch were expecting a lot of lag, server downtime, and game-killing glitches for the first six months or more. Blizzard didn't straighten out the worst of WoW until month 8 or 9. There are still glitches in WoW and it's 13 years old. But, even this is a incorrect expectation. Defiance isn't a true MMOTPS, but a persistant world TPS with MMO features.

It's this second expectation which is at the core of the complaints of the second main type: content. People hear "MMO" and think huge amounts of content. Yet, this expectation is not found in most TPS/FPS games. We usually expect 30-50 hours of story content per game. Think about the campaign missions of Call of Duty or Battlefield. I completed COD:MW3's campaign in about 21 hours; it was the first shooter I've played since Doom II.

Defiance has to deal with the worst aspects of both genres. The problems of MMOs and the content of the TPS/FPS. Yet, it also has the best parts of both. Large variety of weapons (of varying degrees of effectiveness), multiple types of enemies, group play, PvP play.

Unfortunately, we, as players, are also have to deal with the business issues effecting the game, too. Instead of being able to delay the release to fix glitches and bugs, they HAD to release the game on the date in question (most like by contract agreement with SyFy). Additionally, the lower economy patterns makes development a more difficult business to profit on (look at Sony's disappointment of Hitman: Absolution only selling 36 million copies in the first month). Finally, it appears Trion's upper management took their eye off the ball, so to speak, with the old San Diego studio. The bad communications we experienced externally under the original EP (the out-right false information on multiple issues, the eponymous "Soon") and are still getting to some extent (but, to Dahlanese's credit, it is getting better slowly) is symptomatic of exponentially worse internal communication. (In a perfect world, everyone would know everything and all be on the same page. In a good communication system, if one asks a question of someone who doesn't know, that person knows they aren't the expert and tells you to talk to the person that does know and sends you to THAT person. What seemed to be happening is people THOUGHT they knew what they knew everything and they didn't. From a communication standpoint for example, the demo at E3 the guy driving the truck should have said, "this is the truck from the DLC" and that's it. If asked if it would have a gun turret, aka Cerebrus, he should have responded "I don't know, let me get back to you.") Additionally, the large layoffs of the team back in May, plus the "leaving" of the of the old EP, are circumstantial evidence of this loss of guidance. Yes, development teams are often scaled back once a game launches. But, in a game with as many problems as Defiance had in May, usually you see a company get most of it fixed before the scale down (or the turn over the staff by laying off AND hiring a new group).

Does this mean we need to just deal with it? To an extent. What I suggest is simple. Either help fix the game by submitting clear, exact, and simple bug reports when you have a problem. If you have a suggestion, post it in simple, clear (English on the English side), and easy to read manner. Or, if you think it's too much, stop playing. Maybe come back later, maybe not.

TL: DR - If you don't try putting your expectations into the game, you are more likely to have fun with it. Find a bug, report it. If you are not having fun, quit
Whoa chill yourself. First of all there are quite a few commercials showing the Arch of st Louis within the game, that there greatly confuses the issue because that's what people expect to see, only not to see it and to learn it will never be part of the game either. Which is a bad idea in my opinion. I know that a lot of players would not mind interacting with the show''s characters within the game, even if it's just for R&R. Also I think a path allowing for a solo game if the servers are offline would be great too.

Deirachel
09-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Whoa chill yourself. First of all there are quite a few commercials showing the Arch of st Louis within the game, that there greatly confuses the issue because that's what people expect to see, only not to see it and to learn it will never be part of the game either. Which is a bad idea in my opinion. I know that a lot of players would not mind interacting with the show''s characters within the game, even if it's just for R&R. Also I think a path allowing for a solo game if the servers are offline would be great too.

First, I am chill. No need to assume there is any anger in any of that. Just trying to help people see the good sides of the game more than the bad.

Second, can you give me a link to any commercial showing the Arch in connection to the game and not the show? I've not been able to find any. The only structure I've seen in any of the commercials has been the Golden Gate in the distance. (Heck, even the SyFy commercial I found which was for both didn't even show the Arch at all.) I'd honestly like to see it if there is one.