PDA

View Full Version : Permission to break Street Date?

Hades
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't suppose Trion is going to notify retailers that they are going to remove Street Date a few hours earlier so we can all join in on the fun? Not complaining about waiting, just curious if a Moderator would know the answer or not.

LoE
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't suppose Trion is going to notify retailers that they are going to remove Street Date a few hours earlier so we can all join in on the fun? Not complaining about waiting, just curious if a Moderator would know the answer or not.

I wouldn't think it would really matter to Trion how early people got there physical editions anyhow, as people still wouldn't be able to get on without them opening up the servers to do so

Amnesia
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Are you suggesting that Trion should call each and every Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, etc to say that they can sell the game early?
If you're serious, how you would suggest that Trion would convince the store that they're serious and not some April Fool's prankster? And even if the store believed them, the majority of their customers wouldn't get a chance to learn about it...

Breaking street date can lead to serious fines. I can't imagine any store manager thinking that it was worth taking the chance.

Valethar
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM

No. Asked Sledge about this a few days ago. They're under contract with the street date. It is what it is. None of the stores are going to risk the fines and other penalties to do it.

gjwhite66
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Next thing you know, people will be asking Santa to come in November. December 25th is far too long of a wait.

Lickintoad
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Are you suggesting that Trion should call each and every Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, etc to say that they can sell the game early?
No. That's stupid.

Every company has a hierarchy. That is how information is disseminated. Take the Nintendo 64, for example. Someone broke the street date, so Nintendo told us we were allowed to go ahead and sell it. That call got filtered down from corporate to regional manager to district manager to store manager. Nintendo didn't call every store on their own; the corporate structure of those companies got the information out faster than they could do it.

I think it's too late for Gamestop, though. Their corporate offices are here in DFW, and it's almost 7. They've been off work for two or three hours now. There's no one at the office to take the call.

Hades
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
For the record. Not whining, I can wait. And it wouldn't be the first time that a Street Date was lifted. They don't have to call each and every store, that's not at all how the process works, so there wouldn't be an issue with needing to convince a store manager. Sounds like you have a good idea with how the process works, but lack the actual experience of the process. Appreciate all the trolling though. See you clowns in game.

Hades
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
No. That's stupid.

Every company has a hierarchy. That is how information is disseminated. Take the Nintendo 64, for example. Someone broke the street date, so Nintendo told us we were allowed to go ahead and sell it. That call got filtered down from corporate to regional manager to district manager to store manager. Nintendo didn't call every store on their own; the corporate structure of those companies got the information out faster than they could do it.

I think it's too late for Gamestop, though. Their corporate offices are here in DFW, and it's almost 7. They've been off work for two or three hours now. There's no one at the office to take the call.

Fellow SM in the DFW?

Defy
04-01-2013, 05:08 PM
I think its more of a distributor issue

Shadinaxx
04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Next thing you know, people will be asking Santa to come in November. December 25th is far too long of a wait.

Merry Thanksgivoween!

Edit: also, under contracts, to change it for any reason, yo have to rewrite the contract with the changes, get the changes notarized, signed off on by all parties, and formalized by several sets of lawers and legal mumbo jumbo. A voodoo spell never hurts either, but short end of it, Redoing the contract isnt worth a few hours.

Lickintoad
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Fellow SM in the DFW?
That all depends what "SM" means. But, I am in DFW, yes. Specifically, the FW part.

Eury
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
No. That's stupid.

yes but the information actually took a 4 days to get from corporate to the individial stores so at this point its pointless

Lickintoad
04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
yes but the information actually took a 4 days to get from corporate to the individial stores so at this point its pointless
No it didn't. It took a matter of minutes. This was so big, the regional managers were all in conference calls with their district managers. By the time the store opened at 10 Central, we had already been okayed, and I had already purchased my one system and 2 games.