PDA

View Full Version : On Average, How Many Grenades Do You Use @ Ark Falls?

WARDUKE
08-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Grenades at an Ark Fall are normally an after thought for me. I doubt I use more than a couple during an entire Arkfall. So I am curious, do other players use them upon a every refresh or is their use more of an after though?

I am just trying to figure out if there was a serious demand for this upcoming change or if it was a waste of Trion resources.

Honest answers only please, we don't need yet another Trion Flame thread. :cool:

Sirros
08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
3 or 4 times, usually against Rioters or Hellbug Warriors. For me, they are useful but not essential.

ten4
08-30-2013, 08:08 PM
1 maybe 2 but usually not at all since either mobs are dead before it even detonates or if my clusterblast does go off it usually almost always does NO damage at all. In that time of throwing the grenade, I can out dps any damage done by it with a gun; essentially it lowers my dps output.

A s0t
08-30-2013, 08:10 PM
i use 1 to hurt myself and have my friend heal me then do some damage and bale. same for him

oo629
08-30-2013, 08:47 PM
I have absolutely no idea since I'm using Mad Bomber + gun with -15% grenade cooldown on kill + Infector grenade. Bugs. Bugs everywhere.

3rdpig
08-30-2013, 08:56 PM
i use 1 to hurt myself and have my friend heal me then do some damage and bale. same for him

You're a credit to the community, a pillar of your clan and a savior to your friends!

Defiance, and all that.

A s0t
08-30-2013, 09:13 PM
3rdpig if i didn't lag out of the game all the time i would love to do the arkfalls. but i lag out and get put into a different shard and then that arkfall is not complete-able for me
xbox na

Mercy Killing
08-30-2013, 11:06 PM
xbox na

This is the source of all your woes, my young padawan learner.

Pyth
08-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Even when conditions are "perfect" (using that term very loosely), I still just tag Arkfalls. I just happen to have an excuse for it now since they're basically crashing my hardware or forcing me into frequent timeouts.

Besides, Arkfalls are boring as ****.

PseudoCool
08-30-2013, 11:08 PM
As an average.. probably 3 or 4.. maybe 6 or 7 tops at a Siege (mainly if I'm in Bath House)

Atticus Batman
08-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Grenades at an Ark Fall are normally an after thought for me. I doubt I use more than a couple during an entire Arkfall. So I am curious, do other players use them upon a every refresh or is their use more of an after though?

I am just trying to figure out if there was a serious demand for this upcoming change or if it was a waste of Trion resources.

Honest answers only please, we don't need yet another Trion Flame thread. :cool:

1 or 2 IF I remember they are there. I actually think I'll use them more once they have a limited ammo pool since seeing the grenade count change on occasion WILL remind me I have them!

Rakshasa
08-30-2013, 11:35 PM
It varies a lot by arkfall type, obviously. In a scrapper one, hardly ever. But I'll admit to using them a lot, so long as I remember to, in most of the others. Not so much on hellbugs, unless you get a few warriors sitting there in a cluster, begging for it. But pyro and elec can be really useful for crowd control in mutant/raider/99er ones, and if the cooldown is up I'll toss a grenade at every Blacklung or Tanker I see rolling out, especially if they're coming out of the door with friends. I've been using either pyro or frag on the new DM arkfalls quite a bit as well. It all adds up.

So yeah, I expect these changes are going to impact my grenade use quite a bit. If I understand the system they're going for, most likely I'll just end up running out of what I have equipped, and then will be too lazy to bother going into the loadouts mid-arkfall to change them.

Billy Guile
08-31-2013, 01:29 AM
only the ones with killing as many hellbugs as you can.

Awesome Jeff
08-31-2013, 01:42 AM
I throw a nade every time I get knocked back, it's some kind of reflex. I also throw a nade at the core when I arrive at a minor (including minor parts of majors). So if at a major scrapper and I'm at all the minor parts, at least 5 nades, pluss one per knockback. Upwards of 10 nades? :P

Keeper Riff
08-31-2013, 02:04 AM
On Average, How Many Grenades Do You Use @ Ark Falls?Ermů none. They are eating into my weapon XP.

Iceberg
08-31-2013, 02:15 AM
Over 50 times or more, as soon as it refreshes I toss it. Its extra damage so why not?

Epshiluss
08-31-2013, 02:20 AM
I throw 1 when there is a group of 3+ withing the blast range and I throw them while I'm fly through the air from the arkfall exploding

Deirachel
08-31-2013, 02:41 AM
Erm… none. They are eating into my weapon XP.

There's my answer. Outside of a arkfalls and sieges? Whenever I'm having trouble with my gun not killing them (i.e. the rioters, for example) or I want a knockback/stun effect.

Billy Guile
08-31-2013, 02:45 AM
i will admit i can't resist tossing a grenade as i run away. the over the shoulder animation makes it look like i just dont care, and i find that hilarious.

crasher
08-31-2013, 12:02 PM
I've probably used 'nades a dozen or so times 'in combat' the whole game. That doesn't include standing around pitching a few of each type several times just to see the effects and timing.

Probably because I just never think of it, or when I do think of it I second guess myself about whether I'll really need it more in a moment or two and don't want to have to wait for the regen.
Pretty much the same deal with my SuperPowers.

August Barkley
08-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Ark Falls and Sieges... Not more than 3 times in average, I guess. Sometimes, not even once.

But I often use grenades during some contracts and quests.

Magick
08-31-2013, 12:45 PM
I use a ton of Bio nades at the Bathouse siege because well I'm usually the only one there or with maybe 3-4 peeps. Arkfalls I use a lot of flash nades on the monarchs,tankers, and blacklungs.

Nilxain
08-31-2013, 01:54 PM
4 (msg too short)

DarknessEyes PT
08-31-2013, 03:38 PM
I use max grenades has possible, have a shotgun with +15% reload on a kill which works great on hellbugs =P

Xaearth
08-31-2013, 03:57 PM
I try to use grenade on recharge when I'm fighting hellbugs or anything that I can't reliably crit without sitting around waiting for it to give me a shot, but that's primarily because I focus on crit-based weapons (snipers and pistols) that have ammo pools small enough that you can't afford to waste on non-crits.

That said, changing to a system that I'd potentially be able to plop down my own ammo-regen spike and now have to conserve grenades... I wouldn't exactly say the change is catering to my playstyle either.

Personally I'm of the opinion that they decided they wanted to add consumables (spikes and stims) and either thought "Why not grenades too?" or grenades were their test-case to see if they could get them to work with the current system.

Cambo
08-31-2013, 04:05 PM
imma cry about the grenade changes, what is the purpose of having a SMG-grenadier with 15% grenade re-charge on kill and a sawed off-grenadier and 15% grenade charge on kill with mad bomber perk anymore after changes?

BTW arena's are nadetastic with that setup.

KashiDoll
08-31-2013, 04:57 PM
I throw a nade every time I get knocked back, it's some kind of reflex.

I do the same thing and here I thought I was the only one. :p

But back to the main point of this thread. It's kinda hard to say, like I said I throw my Fragnova when I get knocked back, but I also use it through out Arkfalls, especially when there are a few Warriors grouped together or for a Tanker/Blacklung, sometimes I'll chuck it at the Monarchs too. So it really just depends I guess.

Evolution
08-31-2013, 05:13 PM

It depends on the arkfall, but when you have to kill monarchs, I use my shock grenade on every refresh in order to try and keep them stunned. I also use my pyro during the destroy the crystal phase, keeps the DPS up.

ten4
08-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Part of me gets what Trick might be aiming for...sort of like BL2 UVHM where you have to switch between different elements to take stuff down. ie. want us to cycle grenade types instead of just using only one. But does that fit with Defiance? I don't think so and forcing us to have to change grenades when one type runs out with this poor UI + during combat sounds extremely annoying. It baffles me why they are even wasting time doing this change rather than working on things that we have SUGGESTED on that google survey like they said they would. Instead, they are messing with things that are not a problem (again).

WARDUKE
08-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I use the Ground Pounder a lot, which is probably why I rarely use a grenade @ an arkfall. Even with Monarchs, a Ground Pounder makes short work of them. If for any reason I don't have that equipped, I just use the old King Hippo strategy on that mob.

Instances that I actively use a grenade are against dark matter cover shields, miner shields and running away. So basically, I rarely use them.

I don't feel that cycling grenades is something players want. We all have our favorite types that fit our play style. Many actively went out in pursuit of the best version of that type we could find. This change seems to fly in the face of all that work. How many weapon builds are going to be rendered pointless if/when this goes live?

It may still be too early to determine all the negative and positive effects from what we have seen. They really need to step up and give clear information on how this change actually functions.

antlad
08-31-2013, 08:45 PM
I use infector grenade most of the time and throw it when I can