PDA

View Full Version : Canceled PC UE. Went PC Standard Digital

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
I understand that Trion can't make the GS of the world do midnight launches. It costs GS money to pay the employees to stay late so it should be up to them. I'm fine with that. It's the inconvenience I have to deal with if I wanted the physical ultimate edition.

What Trion does have control over is when to open the servers. Opening the servers before the official launch does nothing but literally add fuel to the fire. Now all the physical buyers have an even larger level fragmentation between them and there friends who purchased digital. To add more insult to injury, physical players have an even larger gap to get there character names. Many will loose there beta names to other players.

The larger gap with increased possibly of loosing my beta name was the last straw. I canceled my UE. I purchased the standard digital version directly from Trion and luckily was able to get the character name I wanted. Because of Trion's direct actions they lost $90 from me.

Trion's actions have also lessened my faith in the success of this game. I didn't get the digital deluxe edition because I've moved to a more wait and see stance on the game. Don't get me wrong, I really want the game to be great and successful. I'm just only willing to risk $60 instead of $99 now. If it goes well I'm sure I'll spend more for the DLC and maybe bits later but now they have to prove it to me instead of me willing to take the risk.

I'll be so glad when everything is digital only and this type of stuff doesn't happen

Proof of cancellation. http://i.imgur.com/L6Ot4M8.jpg

Pain
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
I agree, it is kinda lousy..

Wrenito
04-01-2013, 05:59 PM
You cancelled UE because you wanted to play a night sooner? You'll last long in this game.

Reason
04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
You cancelled UE because you wanted to play a night sooner? You'll last long in this game.

It's the principal of the matter. Several people will have a huge advantage over players that go physical. On top of that anyone that pre-ordered the digital deluxe get 30-day XP/scrip boost, on top of what 8-10 hour head start on play time. Yeah. Big difference and I can see why some players are extremely ticked.

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM

No, as I mentioned at the top I was willing to wait but the extended gap with servers opening up early I was worried about not getting the name I wanted. That was the final straw that made me decide to go digital.

ANTIDEAD
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM
How is getting the game a day early a huge advantage? It's only a day.

If your character name gets taken within a day, doesn't that mean it wasn't very original/creative to begin with?

GOG
04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Be kinda funny tho if the servers go down and there's a system message saying all characters will be wiped prior to launch :D

On the naming front, I thought it worked like CO, you pick a ingame "handle" (which has to be unique), but then you can pick anything you like for your character name (ie you can have two toons called "Deathspank" for example)

Sarpedon
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm in the same boat in terms of how much of a cheap shot it is to support the game through purchasing the "Gamestop Exclusive Unlimited Collectors Edition". Planning the purchase, requesting time off work to be able to play at launch just to find nothing but disappointment.

No grace period for those of us that pre-purchased a physical copy.
Little to no communication of launch time specifics prior to a week before launch.
Opening the servers early ONLY to those that went through the Trion site.

Wonder how many pre orders people will cancel?

I for one will be much more cautious in the future.

Wrenito
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
It's the principal of the matter. Several people will have a huge advantage over players that go physical. On top of that anyone that pre-ordered the digital deluxe get 30-day XP/scrip boost, on top of what 8-10 hour head start on play time. Yeah. Big difference and I can see why some players are extremely ticked.
Huge advantage? Hardly. When you play the game you'll laugh at that presumption. Few people are getting their 30 day boosts. Most the preorder items are missing for most folks. Extras won't go live until 2marrow, if even then. This isn't a head start like mmoRPGs. You won't fall behind missing a night of play.

MoFetti
04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Your're not hurting Gamestop, every single pre-order cancelled bevause of this weird release I bet they will make Trion pay for. You don't screw with release dates....

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
How is getting the game a day early a huge advantage? It's only a day.

If your character name gets taken within a day, doesn't that mean it wasn't very original/creative to begin with?

Being original/creative isn't the reason. Character names are more important to some less to others. In my case it was very important to me. It's part of an online identity.

Wrenito
04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
In my case it was very important to me. It's part of an online identity.No offense, but you need to get over that.

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Your're not hurting Gamestop, every single pre-order cancelled bevause of this weird release I bet they will make Trion pay for. You don't screw with release dates....

I'm not trying to hurt anyone. GS it not to blame. Trion still got my money just less of it. The midnight launch was not the major issue to me. As I mentioned before I was willing to wait. I'm saying that Trion made an already heated issue worse by opening the servers early.

Pain
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
No offense, but you need to get over that.

Tell that to the other thousands of people angry about the same thing.

MoFetti
04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Being original/creative isn't the reason. Character names are more important to some less to others. In my case it was very important to me. It's part of an online identity.

This why a lot of people are angry. It's easier to accept your name choice is gone if everyone starts on equal footing.

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
No offense, but you need to get over that.

Obviously you fall under name is the less important. That's fine but just because something is not important to you doesn't mean it's not for someone else.

Memori
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm angry, I logged into US to see my name was already taken, I'm sure the same thing will happen on EU.

Is it the end of the world? Certainly not.

Does it make me angry? Yes, and I'd like to know the person who has the name, why he has the name, what significance the name means to him, and how long he's been using it for.

I won't lose sleep over it anyway, I have other names, I'm just shocked to see how it's ended up, kind of posted about this a couple months back.

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Wonder how many pre orders people will cancel?

A GS employee who was there when I canceled (not the one who took the cancellation) didn't know servers game up early. He was going to cancel his UE as well and go digital. Thanked me for the heads up.

ANTIDEAD
04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
How can it be part of your online identity if a thousand other people want to get the same name? I'm curious because I've never heard of a parent wanting to name their child by picking the most common name.

Unless it's about the satisfaction of denying others the same name, I can't understand the appeal. But to each his own.

Wrenito
04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Obviously you fall under name is the less important. That's fine but just because something is not important to you doesn't mean it's not for someone else.Fair enough.

Zeiban
04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
How can it be part of your online identity if a thousand other people want to get the same name? I'm curious because I've never heard of a parent wanting to name their child by picking the most common name.

Unless it's about the satisfaction of denying others the same name, I can't understand the appeal. But to each his own.

I own the domain name for it. Use it for twitter, XBL, twitch, steam, games. Everything. All I ask is fair shot just like everyone else. If someone gets it fairly then fine. It sucks but at least I had equal chance. Trion did give everyone equal chance.

ANTIDEAD
04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Ah well that's a pretty good reason. Hope you get the name you want!