PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Bonus Waves?

Frozen
09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
If all the Arkfalls that make you clear 3 waves are going to make us clear 5 more "bonus" waves with no actual "bonuses", why not just tell us to clear 8 waves and just call it what it is?

Sanguinesun
09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
If all the Arkfalls that make you clear 3 waves are going to make us clear 5 more "bonus" waves with no actual "bonuses", why not just tell us to clear 8 waves and just call it what it is?

(Spoken in a Drew Carey voice): Welcome to "Whose Defiance Is It Anyway?" the game where everything's made up and the bonus waves don't matter. :p

Inferno78
09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I thought the bonus waves are what gave the extra loot items? I have yet to see anything drop before round 3 ends. Yes, I know the stuff is crap, but it's still ark salvage

Sanguinesun
09-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I thought the bonus waves are what gave the extra loot items? I have yet to see anything drop before round 3 ends. Yes, I know the stuff is crap, but it's still ark salvage

Major arkfall item bonuses are not relevant. You get a tier 2 box random loot regardless of participation level. Minors are relatively similar but in a different manner really.

WhiteGoblin
09-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Most likely a remnant of an old scaling system idea.

oo629
09-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I thought that the bonus waves only came up if a certain amount of players were participating in the event

exemple with random numbers: minor arkfall end after wave 3 if there's less than 19 players participating. 2 extra bonus waves are added if there's more than 20 players participating (arkfall now end after wave 5) to give a chance to players who showed up late to get some kills

Iceberg
09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
(Spoken in a Drew Carey voice): Welcome to "Whose Defiance Is It Anyway?" the game where everything's made up and the bonus waves don't matter. :p

I will only watch if ryan stiles and colin mochary are on it.

Sanguinesun
09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I will only watch if ryan stiles and colin mochary are on it.

Preach'n to the choir buddy... preach'n to the choir :P

Xaearth
09-04-2013, 02:58 AM
I thought that the bonus waves only came up if a certain amount of players were participating in the event

exemple with random numbers: minor arkfall end after wave 3 if there's less than 19 players participating. 2 extra bonus waves are added if there's more than 20 players participating (arkfall now end after wave 5) to give a chance to players who showed up late to get some kills

I believe it also has to do with how quickly the arkfall is completed.

I remember a ways back when getting bonus waves on a minor arkfall when there was only three or four of us just wrecking it.

Yardragon
09-04-2013, 04:01 AM
whoring this or that (i've found) seems to reward less...
all around play (shoot them, shoot that, nade them, nade that, help them,...) looks like to get better loot.

Sanguinesun
09-04-2013, 06:09 AM
whoring this or that (i've found) seems to reward less...
all around play (shoot them, shoot that, nade them, nade that, help them,...) looks like to get better loot.

No, the tier 2 box is a random lock box. It works of the same algorithm of loot reward as the same tier 2 lock boxes you can get from the npc vendor or the bits store.(Unless they've made 3 seperate algorithms for them which would be silly but c'thulu only knows.)

Tekrunner
09-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Major arkfall item bonuses are not relevant. You get a tier 2 box random loot regardless of participation level. Minors are relatively similar but in a different manner really.

I think that bonus waves give you white / green / blue items. They items appear next to the crystal / ark core.

As for what makes them happen, I think it's some sort of combination between EGO level, number of people at the arkfall, and how fast you complete the waves. I know I often get to bonus wave 5 on solo minor arkfalls with my EGO 5000 character, whereas on the test server with a low level char I would pretty much never get any bonus wave. How much time is left on the arkfall is definitely not a factor though, I've seen bonus waves start with 10 seconds left on the timer...

inox2980
09-04-2013, 06:29 AM
I believe it also has to do with how quickly the arkfall is completed.

I remember a ways back when getting bonus waves on a minor arkfall when there was only three or four of us just wrecking it.

That's what I figured too. I thought it depends on how fast progress was being made and/or scaling to how many people are currently at that local Arkfall.

Maitreakow
09-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Preach'n to the choir buddy... preach'n to the choir :P

Hey now, Greg Proops was pretty funny as well. Love his stand-up...

Iceberg
09-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Hey now, Greg Proops was pretty funny as well. Love his stand-up...

Can't beat richard simmons in Props game though.