PDA

View Full Version : The Grand UI Feedback Thread

dahanese
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey guys,

The devs have asked that I start a thread to compile feedback on the game's UI. The team's working on a comprehensive overhaul so we want to take a fresh look at everything.

What do you like? What do you hate? Feel free to include diagrams, drawings, suggestions, or just post some written feedback.

Thanks!

DeadMike
09-03-2013, 08:23 PM
How about making the UI customizable? Each of the elements could be resizable and able to be moved around on the screen. Then go into options and lock them in place once you have it set up how you want.

Also remove the little boxes/outlines that are around each of the UI elements.

ErikR68
09-03-2013, 08:23 PM
What I would like to see, is when you're viewing your weapons... they're on different pages. The setup in the UI now looks like it could be done.

It is a pain to keep scrolling through all the weapons, then, end up having to do this again and again.

Thanks for this thread!

A s0t
09-03-2013, 08:26 PM
when in the salvage matrix breaking down guns can you move that pop up out of the way. specially when doing mass breakdowns

we dont need the geometric shapes in the background of the map and other menus

Notturno
09-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I have to question the wisdom of redoing the UI at this point. The person in charge (is it still RedAvocado?) is aware that Defiance's main retention issue is related to the lack of content, right? Every single person from my community who no longer plays Defiance constantly insists that the reason they left was due to the lack of things to do. Changing the UI does not address the game's core problem.

If Trion is as agile as they claim, this shouldn't be anywhere near priority. Sadly, I'm going to assume this is going to happen anyway, so I guess I'll go ahead and provide feedback.

I'm going to assume that the HUD is included when you mention UI.
Chat: The chat "revamp" was not what we needed. I do not understand why we cannot have the same, exact chat system as RIFT. The chat system does not need to be reinvented, just take what works and put it in Defiance.
Chat Box Switching: Along with the above chat suggestion, please allow for the "X" key on keyboards to swap between tabs.
Trade Chat: Either implement a private chat for trading, or allow us to use the chat window while trading.
Item Breakdowns: Even with the new button, this has not alleviated the headache of inventory management. It takes way too much mouse movement and clicking to break down a single item. A mass breakdown option needs to be implemented.
Radar: Please revert the change where you made player dots the same size as NPC dots. Since you guys have now forced Shadow Wars upon all PvPers, we kind of need some delineation between NPCs and players on the radar. I have no idea why this was changed in the first place, but it was unnecessary.
Charge Weapon Crosshairs: The charging notification on hip fire needs to have its opacity toned down, it's very difficult to see targets through it.
Sort Items: Allow for collapsible tabs (similar to your pursuits) that categorize items.
Saved/Important Items: Allow us to mark items as "important" so they cannot be sold or lost to the salvage matrix.
Character Deletion?: I'm not sure if this still exists, but that character delete button on the login screen is absolutely terrifying. I have not verified (as I would rather not risk my character) whether there is an e-mail confirmation for character deletion or not... but there really should be.
Display Match Queue: Show the current queue numbers for all cooperative and competitive maps in the UI, if possible.
Inspections: When hovering over someone's layout information, allow the inspecting user to see the modifications and bonuses on gear.

Inferno78
09-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Chat should be changed back to how it was before the DLC release. It's very difficult to chat while in combat now. I also agree with Notturnos suggestion (Saved/Important Items: Allow us to mark items as "important" so they cannot be sold or lost to the salvage matrix)

woodzee
09-03-2013, 10:33 PM
There is a checkbox to the right of every item in inventory .. use this idea to choose all items to be broken down en masse in matrix
I like the idea of marked items in inventory that are to be kept from accidental deletion in the matrix..maybe using the indented tabs on the top rightside of each item that is currently being marked in white to designate mastered weapons can be used with another colour such as red..or introduce another indented tab location next to it
I also like the drop down tab idea used in pursuits to be used in inventory and matrix listing maybe grouping classes of weapons such as shields.pistols.bmgs.assault rifles.combat shotguns.bolt action sniper rifles.detonators.rocket launchers. Infectors.submachine guns.light machine guns.pump shotguns. Sawed off shotguns. Semiauto sniper rifles.rocket launchers. ....mods according to slot such as barrels.magazine.sight.stock....and grenades. .....as is currently being the listed order...
Being able to listen/talk in one method but be able to txt chat in any other would help..
There needs to be an easier way to travel to someone across phases and maps...with the limits of friends one is able to have on xbox maybe do away with that requirement and have an ingame only friend list connected to a simple ingame-friends-online list with dpad option to choose one and go to friend choice. ...

Otherwise..great work guys..keep it up! Great to see your willingness to hear n accept new ideas in a timely fashion to help make the game even better! KUDOS!

Pyth
09-03-2013, 10:36 PM
- Make it so we're able to change load outs without ever having to go into the menu.
- Give us the ability to disable loadouts (for the OCD players out there)
- Also shouldn't take 12 hours to open the menu after fast travel or when in a vehicle.

A s0t
09-03-2013, 11:07 PM
- Make it so we're able to change load outs without ever having to go into the menu.
- Give us the ability to disable loadouts (for the OCD players out there)
- Also shouldn't take 12 hours to open the menu after fast travel or when in a vehicle.
hold "B" xbox or "O" ps3 for the weapon load out pc can do whatever button that suits them they get to customize buttons that would be cool

Frozen
09-04-2013, 12:01 AM
I would also like a way to just lock extra loadouts. Seriously, i don't need 5, I only use 2.

Ashlocke
09-04-2013, 02:02 AM
The team's working on a comprehensive overhaul so we want to take a fresh look at everything.

If this is the case you might as well go all out and make the UI customizable. The main reason I say this is because no matter how good you make a static UI it will have varying levels of likability. If you make it customizable then everyone can set it up how they prefer. It would likely be more work, but since you say it's a comprehensive overhaul, I would highly suggest doing it right once instead of having to revisit it over and over to deal with UI issues down the road.

Note: I play the PC version so all of my suggestions will be from that perspective.

Main points:
[1] Ability to move and resize UI elements.

[2] Improved hotkey assignment. I don't want to SWAP keys I want to ASSIGN them. Currently having to play musical chairs to get hotkeys setup is irritating and the inability to have more than one key assigned to the same function is bad.

[3] Improved equipment screen. Things like batch selling, tabbed lists for shields, mods, weapon types, etc. Basically avoid having one HUGE list as the only means to display items.

[4] I would like some sort of notification that an arkfall, siege, or other future added world event has started without having to open the map to find out. The reason I ask for this is because I constantly miss out on them when they are further away than the in game marker will show. How about either EGO informs you that XYZ event has started or perhaps use the new character voice option and have your character say "arkfall detected" or somesuch. Once you are made aware of the event you can simply open the map to see where it is.

This will make it so folks don't have to constantly open the map every 2 minutes just to see if an event has started. Of course all of the notifications should be optional with a toggle ON/OFF in options.

[5] Streamline Tasks in the UI, currently it takes far too many clicks and submenus to do the simplest of things.

[6] Allow us to pick our desired scope graphics instead of forcing scope styles on us, this is a cry against the removal of the best (in my opinion) scope the game had, the red-triangular scope. Please bring it back. Ideally I would like to see the ability to slot a scope mod (stat-wise) and then pick from the different scope styles (visuals) separately.

[7] Stop changing chat channel focus every time I zone out of an instance. I want to keep chat on area most of the time and when I exit it usually changes to clan all by itself. Which for me is pointless as I'm in a clan of just myself.

Small note:
This is more of a personal preference but seems like a good time to bring this up. Can you PLEASE divorce the tilde' key from always activating the cursor. I really want to be able to reassign this key but no matter what I assign it to do it *also* activates the cursor in addition to doing the re-assigned function which makes it useless.

A s0t
09-04-2013, 02:27 AM
when in a group the first option is to kick/leave the group why is that?
and a go to clan member would be cool as well

Arsenic_Touch
09-04-2013, 02:57 AM
~ should actually do something instead of causing you to lose control of your character.
Can't click the chat window, can't click anything on your interface with it.

The chat system from rift needs to be copied over, all of it. Item linking, item previewing, right click on the item in chat to view it's stats or hover over to see it's stats pop up. Being able to right click on a player's name in chat to whisper, inspect, invite to group/clan, et cetera.

Should be able to set individual contracts to track on the right side of the screen, like a normal quest tracking window.

A game setting that disables the "Are you sure prompts" to make choices more smooth.

Being able to check mark items for bulk break down in your inventory.

More loadouts with a loadout hotkey. Doesn't even have to be a one button switch, it can be a hit L for loadout, then hit 1-5 or whatever number of loadouts for that particular loadout to load. It would still be balanced and force you away from combat for a sec but be a lot smoother.

Being able to resize/move around any element on the open world HUD.

HUD elements showing up in the black areas of scopes.

chilipino
09-04-2013, 03:35 AM
From a PC user:

- Standardize on how player names are displayed by always showing "[account_name] character name" in anywhere you show a player name (lists, chat, etc.). Do away with the "show account names" option. It's just more rope to hang ourselves with.

- Merge the friend and clan list into one big contacts list. Distinguish between friend and clan member somehow.

- Sort the contacts list alphabetically while keeping the set of active players at the top (currently friend list shows non-alphabetically-sorted active friends before inactive. However, clan list is only alphabetical and you have to scroll down the list to see who's active).

- Standardize having "go to", "friend invite", "group invite", and "trade invite" from the contacts list.

- Implement filters in the inventory screen so that items can be filtered by "All", weapon type (use weapon icons), and rarity (use color icons). The level filter is not a very useful feature. Filters should be sticky (remembered when you exit the inventory screen).

- Implement a "favorite item" feature so we can't salvage or trade an item marked as such.

- Implement a "select multiple items" feature so we can batch salvage or batch sell.

- Allow us to remove (destroy) one mod at a time from a modded weapon. Can be something as simple as an "x" button next to each mod in the weapon detail screen that triggers a confirmation dialog.

- Stop the wheel menu from popping up automatically when we open our inventory. It's not going to get us to buy more things from the bits store. Better yet, replace the wheel menu with a secondary navigation element that's persistent across all of the screens (inventory, map, loadouts, etc etc.).

- In the screen where it shows your weapon skills, somehow show the break-down of what has contributed to your current EGO level (like how it's broken down in the My EGO page on the website)

- Make the PvP map list more like a dashboard that shows number of players waiting for each map, number of matches underway for each map type, the number of players for each map that is underway, and the score + time left of each match. Allow players to click on an existing match to join it if it has less than the maximum number of players.

- Allow clicking on items/perks in a player's "inspect" screen in order to display more information about them.

- Show the amount of ark salvage that you have in the HUD (next to scrip)

- Show which perks you have equipped when viewing the EGO grid (for your current loadout)

- Do away with having to pick up scrip and ark salvage from the ground. Have them automatically added to your scrip/salvage total. This saves some polygons that need to be drawn on the screen.

- Allow multiple keys to be bound to an action.

- Allow changing of FOV

- Make draw distance farther so that the highest-powered scopes will be more useful

- When a weapon (not skill) has reached maximum EXP, call it out on the HUD (something that is as alarming as the "no ammo" visual treatment)

Dracian
09-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Mmm, OK, so here's my contribootion ^^

A - HUD/General UI :

I have to say that, right now, I'm fine with the current HUD : it's clear and not too invasive. However, some additions could be great :

Allow us to resize and move any HUD element as we see fit : Ok, I'll have to admit, this is something I saw in Firefall and I completely fell in love with that feature. Thanks to that feature, people who want to see their chat window on the left side of the screen will no more go on Crusade against the ride-side-chat-window-supporters.
Bring back the small chat window : The big chat window is nice, but being able to quickly see non-private messages from other players "on the fly" is better.
Improve the big chat window : as some other people said, being able to quickly inspect/go to/join/friend invite/group invite/clan invite/trade invite/unfriend/whatever anyone in the chat by a left click would be awesome.
Friend chat : Add an other chat for people on our friendlists (useful to warn friends not in our clans of Arkfalls/Sieges)
Give the ability to open the chat window in every menu : and especially in the Trade menu.
Mini-map : bigger dots for other players : Right now, it's almost impossible to see if that red dot 60 meters away is an opponent player, a Volge or a bug from an Infector. What they looked like pre-DLC was fine.

Aside from that, and ATM, I don't see anything else to say.

B - Character Menu (F1):

Character : Everything's fine for me, though I wouldn't mind having access to additionnal loadout slots.
Salvage Matrix : I really think there are too many clicks to do in order to do simple actions. Having the ability to mark items in order to perform mass actions (understand : breakdown) should be IMHO, the top priority in order to improve SM UI. Plus, adding an action to "protect/unprotect" an item (preventing it to be sold/salvaged/traded) would be greatly appreciated.
EGO Grid: Fine here. Only a little bug with the grabbing-hand mouse style, but nothing else to say.
Boosts : I don't like that "grab and slide" menu style here... Why not making a simple menu ? I'm pretty sure it'll fit on the screen. And even if it doesn't fit, a scrollbar can be implemented...
Ressources : Two things. First : concerning weapons' and vehicles' levels : one bar every level instead of every two levels. Second, in the Faction part, display the "permanent level" in every faction (numerical, instead of only the statuses)
Inventory : OK, here, tabs and sub-tabs are needed. First, tabs : All / Grenades / Mods / Shields / Weapons. Only that would greatly ease some traders' lifes. Add sub-tab for weapons and mods and we'll be more than happy : Weapons : Assault Rifles / BMGs / Bolt-Action Sniper Rifles / Detonators / Infectors / LMGs / Pistols / Pump Shotguns / Rocket Launchers / Sawed-Off Shotguns / Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles / SMGs and Mods for : Assault Rifles, LMGs and SMGs / BMGs / Detonators / Infectors / Pistols / Rocket Launchers / Shotguns / Sniper Rifles. I don't think sub-tabs for Grenades and Shields are needed, but feel free to add if you feel it could please us.

C - Objectives Menu (F2):

Pursuits : I would like to have the ability to open multiple pursuits in the menu, if it's possible. Right now, we can only open one at the time. Plus, an option to be able to "track" a pursuit would be interesting (I doubt the feasability to track multiple pursuits at the time, however, if it's possible, do it)
Contracts : Same as Pursuit Tabs (possibility to open multiple contracts, ability to track contracts)

D - Map (F3):

Not much to say here, except perhaps adding an additionnal level of un-zoom in order to see the whole bay area. Oh, yes : having the ability to place a group/clan waypoint (placeable by group leaders or clan founder/officers)
And yes, an other thing : when in Shadow War, place on the Map where the different cap points are located. Every PvP rookie will be grateful for that.

E - Intel (F4), Shop (F5) and Settings (F6):

For all these menus, everything seems fine for me.

F - Matchmaking (F7):

Cooperative Maps : Add the number of players in queue for each Map. In order to prevent any bandwidth overload or ping issues, not need to actualize that in real time : every five minutes or with an "actualize queue" button would be fine.
Competitive Maps : Same as Cooperative with the additional ability to queue for multiple maps in the same time.
Shadow War : Same as Cooperative. Plus an option to see in which zone current Shadow War is located ?

G - Social (F8):

Friends : I don't understand why, in my offline friends, the ones who have not been connected for the most time are placed in first, instead of last... Is it to remind us to remove those friends because they haven't connected for a long time and won't come back ? Oh, and remove the 100 friends limit. Please. I'm a trader and an officer in my clan (~100 members)... See what I mean ?
Clan : Sort members as in the Friend menu. Surprisingly, I have found that officers can't ban a player from their clan, only the clan founder can... Intended feature or not ?
Chat : Can't tell, it's been months since I went in that menu. However, a mail system could be a great addition.
Find Player : We need to be able to find players even if they are offline, as well as having the ability to send them messages and/or friend/clan invite even if they are offline.

That was long, hope it'll help :)

And thanks for at least allowing us to express ourselves. This is much appreciated.

Kane
09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Agree with the customizable ui ideea, resize, move, and remove/add elements to the hud...remove the console feel (all the menus are linked by a general full screen menu, do we need to ocupy all the monitor with a character screen for example?)

and mainly steal the chat from...well...any mmorpg out there...ANY...try even browser based rpgs like darakensang or whatever that game is called...

Etaew
09-04-2013, 05:36 AM
- Show an indicator when players are in a full screen menu or chat window.
- Allow pursuits to be tracked on the right hand side of the screen (MMO format)
- Add need revive icons for players anywhere in the world
- Allow loadouts to be flagged as inactive (empty)
- Allow loadouts to be switched easier
- Have a quick travel menu under Legend on the full screen map (gray out unexplored points)
- Improve contracts and pursuits windows, don't bury them in easy to overlook menus
- Allow filtering by type in merchants
- Allow filtering by type in inventory
- Ability to hide UI for screeeeenshots

Billy Guile
09-04-2013, 05:46 AM
personally, i like the ability to move things like Star Trek Online's options. but it would probably be only able to be done on PC

brandileigh
09-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Go next door to trion devs.

Steal Chat and the ability to resize and move around the UI, a search for bags, pretty much everything.

Atleast put chat back how it was, now it's 100% useless and I don't really play the game as much because it's so cumbersome for me to just talk to someone using the ingame system.

JE1SUS
09-04-2013, 07:43 AM
I am playing on xbox ...

and since you are faceing the nextgen-console you should inform think more about going nextgen or staying three more years on console ... (last option would suck)

and the next dlcs should be more story-like than just fighting against a freaking clock - it's to frustrating .. more story would really be nice

and please make the way to nim shorter or give it a reloadable / save checkpoint ... by the way nim is to difficult to beat comparing to all the other enemies in the game ... i haven't finished it yet since i don't want do lose money while dieing from nim ... after 5 tries i end the game .. and than i don't want to go the whole way again to him ... there are more people out there having the same feelings about the end of the mainstory and the power of the enemy nim ...

JimmyRustler
09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I have to question the wisdom of redoing the UI at this point. The person in charge (is it still RedAvocado?) is aware that Defiance's main retention issue is related to the lack of content, right? Every single person from my community who no longer plays Defiance constantly insists that the reason they left was due to the lack of things to do. Changing the UI does not address the game's core problem.

Bang on correct. This kind of call for "Feedback" is just BS smoke and mirrors. Sorry but that is how I see it any more.

Trion, you are loosing people by the day. LOYAL people, who have been around since beta.... people who funnel MONEY into this game, people who up until recently supported the hell out of this game. I am seeing more and more of my friends and clan mates just give away all of their stuff and walk away. That is a "Walk away" that means there is no return.

Make some new content, give us something new to do that isn't just a rehash of old assets. Fix what needs fixing, or give up for good because the time on this game is limited, and you will quickly be seeing bit purchases dwindle and dwindle.

N155
09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Item Breakdowns: Even with the new button, this has not alleviated the headache of inventory management. It takes way too much mouse movement and clicking to break down a single item. A mass breakdown option needs to be implemented.

Group selection and bindable (or binded) matrix\inventory\loadout\EGOtab actions.

dramaQkarri
09-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Original post from Dracian:
"Social/Clan : Sort members as in the Friend menu. Surprisingly, I have found that officers can't ban a player from their clan, only the clan founder can... Intended feature or not ?"
First of all, lots of great ideas from Dracian and everybody else!

Of note on this particular item about clan officer abilities: In my PS3 clan, Infamous (also a large clan), I'm an officer and suddenly I can kick clan members, but can't promote them. I believe before the DLC it was the other way around...something broken here?

dramaQkarri
09-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Bang on correct. This kind of call for "Feedback" is just BS smoke and mirrors. Sorry but that is how I see it any more.

Trion, you are loosing people by the day. LOYAL people, who have been around since beta.... people who funnel MONEY into this game, people who up until recently supported the hell out of this game. I am seeing more and more of my friends and clan mates just give away all of their stuff and walk away. That is a "Walk away" that means there is no return.

Make some new content, give us something new to do that isn't just a rehash of old assets. Fix what needs fixing, or give up for good because the time on this game is limited, and you will quickly be seeing bit purchases dwindle and dwindle.

Agree ENTIRELY. If it wasn't for my friends playing with me and our conversations, we'd all start drifting away. This game has become so much of a grind that the only real fun is the social aspect. The DLC didn't give us an increase on level cap, and the new content was finished by most high-level players within a couple days of release. I do have UI comments, but I do hope the Dev's will not forget how gameplay is just not fun. The Dev's really, really need to play THIS GAME and realize how much more fun it could be with proper content. I've played many stand-alone games over and over again, by myself, and had a whole lot more fun than grinding arkfalls and levelling my weapons - all this game has to offer me now. Replaying the story missions gives me no benefit unless I start a new avatar and I really don't want to do that. I'm only going to mention the ongoing server stability issues here, but that also robs this game of the "fun" aspect we are all looking for as we spend our free time.

dramaQkarri
09-04-2013, 10:20 AM
There's a whole lot of room on my big TV screen, so it would be very nice if the Inventory was displayed much differently to allow more of it to be seen without all the scrolling. It would also be very nice to group like weapons with the mods in my inventory, so I could review all that at a glance instead of getting deep into the menu to pretend-attach mods just to see what the heck I have available for each gun. A lot of times I forget what I'm looking for or what I found out by the time I'm done reviewing inventory. I don't want to have to write it down like I often do. Trades take such a long time the way the inventory is set up. Also I saw comments above regarding being able to use the text chat screen while in a trade - that would be very helpful as many players don't have mics.

Cavadus
09-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Revert chat back to the launch version. What we have isn't functional.

Yrkul
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Good initiative. While some might argue UI improvements of little importance, it still needs them.

There are a few things I myself has found either missing or in want of:

A proper chat function. This one is brought up constantly, and I was actually expecting it rectified in the DLC. Both the past and current ones are horrible, to say the least. As mentioned before, the chat from RIFT should fit our needs adequately.

Customizable GUI. I find it odd, that this was not in from launch. More and more MMOs ship with this function or implements it after launch (Rift, RoM, SWTOR, Firefall, etc etc...). Adjusting placement, scale and opacity would really help with visibility as well as meeting individual layout preferences (some of us aren't spring chicken any more and don't see as well as we used to). Being able to adjust tint of border, elements and background would help as well (darkening the ammo pool numbers beneath the current weapon indicator was a bad move. I can't see it any more). Furthermore, a border around each element in the same style as on the minimap would be a welcome addition, if not necessary. Elements are a bit floaty without it.

Crosshair choice. Still on the subject of visibility, it would be nice to have a selection of default crosshairs to choose from. Due to the bloom function, simply scaling the crosshair up isn't the best solution. Instead, a selection of crosshairs with different thickness would enable us moles to pick one we can actually see while others are using their BMGs, detonators and whatnot. It also opens up for the possibility of more alien looking crosshairs (predator style tri-line, anyone?).

Inventory. Marking items we do not wish to salvage or sell would save a lot of grief and support tickets. Tabs for "All", "Weapons", "Shields", "Grenades", "Mods" and "Consumables" (for the upcoming stims and spikes, if going into our inventory) would make the interface less cumbersome.

Notifications. A small icon for active sieges, major arkfalls, shadow wars and temporary missions (like episodic content) would help reaching events before they are halfway done. These could be placed in small boxes on the outside of the minimap frame, or the boxes could even be seperate elements to be placed where we want them if a customizable GUI is implemented.

Map. Have the game remember the zoom level used. Perhaps even have an additional level of outwards zoom.

Player names and health status. Make names show up more consistently and visibly. Give text a black outline and make the font scalable. Make the health bar thicker and give it an outline as well. Right now it's hard to see if people are in need of healing, and this might be why there's so much BMG spamming (I know, I know. Some are just leeching, stealing your kills and so on, but that's for another discussion).

Visual effects. Have an option to turn down particle effects by degrees. Right now player's aiming is obstructed by the BMG effect, and personally I get a headache from all the flashes during night time arkfalls from detonators and rocket launchers. Nano effects also blots out a large part of the screen on some weapons. We still need those elements to see what is happening, but right now it's too damn much.

A lot of other really good suggestions have come up in this thread already, but the above would make the gamine experience a lot better for me.

Keep up the good work and keep the ideas flowing.

InfamousBrad
09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
The only major problem I have with the UI is that the chat scrolling bug needs to be fixed, as soon as humanly possible, and the PC version of the game is only barely playable until you do.

But I also have a few minor requests. None of these are game-breakers the way the chat-scrolling bug is, but they're problematic.

The way that the game displays and explains weapon stats is really problematic. There are a lot of missing stats, some of them very very important ones; for example, the current UI refers to Movement Accuracy, which varies a lot from weapon to weapon, but gives you no way to compare the Movement Accuracy of gun #1 to the Movement Accuracy of gun #2. There needs to be some way to see all of the stats on a gun. And the Help sub-section of the Intel window needs to have a detailed explanation of what each of those stats means.

Thank you very, very much for enabling push-to-talk on the PC side for Clans (and, I think, Groups and Teams?). But without volume equalization and a separate volume slider for player voice, it's unusable. I can almost never tell what people are saying.

When I sort my inventory by Type, it would really improve my quality of life if guns were sorted in the same order as the skills on the Player Stats page.

For the PC, it would be really nice if the Emotes and Callouts could be key-bound. When I've jumped behind the wheel of a car, there's no time for me to bring up the text chat window, pop up a menu, and select the "Get in the car!" option; when I'm in trouble, there's no time for me to bring up the text chat window, pop up a menu, and select the "Help me!" option.

For those of us who want to play with the music turned off, can we have another Under Attack indicator, a visual cue that displays a the same time that Combat Music is on?

Dracian
09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
The way that the game displays and explains weapon stats is really problematic. There are a lot of missing stats, some of them very very important ones; for example, the current UI refers to Movement Accuracy, which varies a lot from weapon to weapon, but gives you no way to compare the Movement Accuracy of gun #1 to the Movement Accuracy of gun #2. There needs to be some way to see all of the stats on a gun. And the Help sub-section of the Intel window needs to have a detailed explanation of what each of those stats means.

Oh THIS so much. Completely forgot it on my list, but yes, definitely.

TechnoSausage
09-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Got to be a inventory rework for me! The actual HUD is fine IMO, but when it comes to Inventory management and the salvage matrix it needs refining.

I have 250 inventory slots so I would like to see a filter system where I can choose to look at specific weapon types, weapon rarities, sort by weapon level or weapon nano and so on.

It's such a pain having to continuously scroll through a hundred or so items every time.

Would also like to see multiple selections for salvage matrix to save scrolling through the inventory after every one salvaged.

Also a weapon protection marker to prevent salvaging items I want to keep by mistake or whatever.

Sliverbaer
09-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Thoughts from playing PS3 and PC versions. The PC menus are much more annoying to navigate with the mouse, whereas on console with a controller, they are great. (When they don't lag)

CHAT:

Basically when the chat window is open, you can't do anything else. (move character etc)
Would be nice to be able to open the chat window while on other screens; inventory, trade, etc.
Trade Chat? "Zone" seems so quiet...

LOADOUTS

Switching loadouts on console is pretty easy. (PS3) Start + Triangle + Start. Don't even have to wait for the menu to even load because of lag. Want Loadout 3? Press triangle twice. Easier way for PC?
Loadout Locking - cancel one out if you don't want to use it, or make it so it can't be changed accidentally.

GUI HUD

Basic layout works for me. Some may like the chat window on the 'other' side, to correspond to other online games. Seems fine to me.
Pursuits - Would be nice to show a couple 'quests progress' markers on screen. Maybe limit to 2 or 3? Same with Contracts. Showing you have 4/5 bombers in small text on the screen may be nicer than having that damn pop-up window come up late because of lag, and when you press START on console you won't go directly to the pursuit screen.

ITEM MENU Item breakdowns on console > Item Breakdowns on PC

Make an option to show/notshow the breakdown warning message. (Not a problem in console, TRIANGLE + UP + X, very quick, takes forever on PC)
Make an option to 'save favorites' from being salvaged/sold.
Make an option to breakdown in mass.
Not sure how, but something needs to be done to display inventory better. Grouping, extra tabs, submenus, etc.
New Items - on console this 'yellow' icon is pointless. You can only see it if it is at the top of the inventory list.

NOTIFICATIONS So, others have posted on this. Not sure how I feel about it.

New Mission Series - One of the lost VBI projects before the disappearance of VB, a DRAGONBALL RADAR, err I mean, Arkfall/Event Radar. Do a couple missions, find out where he was working on it, kill a bunch of stuff to get it, and have Rosa build one from the plans. Gives your EGO a mod to say, "VOLGE SIEGE @ QUARRY" or something. Gotta do the quest (no arena) for the EGO mod, no freebees! (Paid DLC content?)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091104065310/dragonball/images/thumb/c/c7/Vlcsnap-2009-11-03-22h51m40s24.png/180px-Vlcsnap-2009-11-03-22h51m40s24.png

SCREENSHOTS

Please allow for console screenshots. (Printscreen button on keyboard?)
Allow better screenshot functionality for PC. PrintScreen is a wondrous button. (Like how it works in RIFT)

CRITICAL Timeouts
CRITICAL Your connection to the DEFIANCE servers has timed out
Since we see this so much, can we get random Von Bach quotes instead?

CRITICAL: "So helping me was second on his list." -KVB

Samyaza
09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put the chat box on the left and the gun read out on the right!.... Most games I play the chat is on the left, so I pay attention more to chat on the left.

Wholly Fodder
09-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Since you asked so nicely...

HUD/UI

1. Add a contract/pursuit tracking feature. Include just a brief summary and X of Y complete. Example: Hellbugs on farms - 0 of 20. This list should allow for players to add/remove whatever they wish to track. Color code the text for Pursuits, Daily Contracts, & Weekly Contracts.

2. Add on screen alert for world events. A simple "Siege Detected" right above the cross hairs would suffice. Then add a icon on the HUD similar to the capture points in the PVP maps.

3. Since most contracts are either Deathmatch or Capture/Hold based, add menu to PVP section that allows players to queue randomly for Deathmatch or Capture/Hold. Put these two options right under the quick match option. Ex: Quick Match - All, Quick Match - Deathmatches, & Quick match - Capture/Hold

4. Better sortablility in inventory screens - this has been mentioned several times, so I'll just 20th or 30th it :D

5. Have weapons show ALL of their synergies - currently you can only see one (I think it's the first one that's added)

THE DEVIL'S IN THE DETAILS
1. Allow for the removal of individual mods on weapons - if I can add them one at a time, why can't I take them off that way?

2. Allow for shields to be modded (e.g. damage resistance, speed boost, reload, etc.)

3. Fix the bugs that prevent completion of pursuits (I'm looking at you, Moonshine Shack! I see you trying to sneak away back there, vehicle kills in Shadow Wars.) If you can't fix them, just mark it complete for all of us and remove those pursuits for any new players.

4. When there's a patch or new DLC, how about a little heads up on the forums for the download/install times? Estimates are fine. There are those of us who can't play all day, every day. Had I known that the first DLC would take 3 HOURS to download and install, I could have started it when I got home from work instead of eating up ALL of my gaming time that day. If this already exists, please point it out to me :D

A s0t
09-04-2013, 10:11 PM
5. Have weapons show ALL of their synergies - currently you can only see one (I think it's the first one that's added)
what??? the guns only have one synergy.
are you putting a run and gun on a brutal synergy or something like that?

batista54
09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
reset stat ? reset contrat ?

Logan_Dragonus
09-05-2013, 02:16 PM
There are a few things I would love to see fixed, tweaked, or changed with the UI:

1. Add a button to change loadouts while in the game, instead of having to go through a menu. The reason for this is because, lately, whenever I enter a menu and quickly change my loadout and exit, the game either shows nothing but the landscape, or shows my weapon having infinite ammo but either of these doesn't allow me to move, shoot, or defend myself. Meanwhile, while I wait up to 90 seconds for my character to be able to move again, I am still getting hit by enemies in the area, who are still able to move around. The Down button on the D-Pad is currently not used and would be perfect for this. Something could then be added on screen (maybe next or inside the weapon information triangle, or next to the vehicle call symbol) with a simple number to let us know what loadout is currently equipped. Then, we would know how many times to press Down to get the one we are looking for. It would hopefully avoid the issue of being defenseless for over a minute.

2. Instead of having the Salvage Matrix, maybe just let us access that from the Inventory screen. We could scroll to the weapon we want, press Triangle (or whatever the PC version is), and instead of it salvaging the item, it could bring up the options of salvaging, added mods or slots, etc. It would be one less tab to cycle through, and make the Inventory screen more useful.

3. This is really just my opinion, but I would love to see completely separate Co-op and Competitive loadouts. Instead of only changing outfits when we select the Competitive tab, let us choose what weapons and whatnot we want there. I have a few weapons that I only use in Competitive, and if we could do this, I would have 4 loadouts to put them on, instead of having to change all of my loadouts before entering a match and changing them all back when I am done.

4. Add an option in the inventory menu to bring all newly acquired items to the top of the list. When we scroll down, the yellow bar showing it as new disappears before we even see it if out list is long. If we have several backup weapons we keep, new ones are harder to see.

5. Not really a UI thing, but I would love to be able to customize the HUD on screen. It would be great to at least push things outward more, as there is plenty of space between the edges of the HUD and the edges of my screen, making the picture seem smaller than it really is.

6. I would also love to be able to remove or recover one mod instead of all. There have been weapons I have had mods on that I get a better mod for later, so I end up having to lose all of my mods and buy the others all over again just to change one.

Have weapons show ALL of their synergies - currently you can only see one (I think it's the first one that's added)

Regarding this, I think I know what you meant. Each synergy mod has 4 special attributes it gives, depending on how many of that type of synergy you have. For example, Stalker gives you +5% Range if you only have 1, but +10% range if you have 2, and a second attribute (+X% Ego ability refresh on critical kill) for having 3 and 4. The weapons will only show the attribute for having 1 on there, even if I have 4 of that synergy type.
My weapons don't even shot one, though, if they already have a special attribute. For example, I have a sniper rifle that came with x1.15 Melee DMG, but I also have 3 Stalker mods on there, and none of those effects are shown on the weapon's stats.

Valentine
09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
-Use rift's chat system, it works well enough and you can customize it to show just whispers or guild stuff ect.

-Stop having us turn toward places we've been hit hard from. This has messed me up so many times and it's very frustrating.

-Give us a list of what's selling at each vendor. Vendor hopping isn't fun and is just a time sink =(

-Don't force people to stop moving after getting rewards. Sometimes mobs are still shooting at us!

August Barkley
09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Add hotkeys for emotes [PC version].

Atticus Batman
09-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Thoughts from playing PS3 and PC versions. The PC menus are much more annoying to navigate with the mouse, whereas on console with a controller, they are great. (When they don't lag)

CHAT:

Basically when the chat window is open, you can't do anything else. (move character etc)
Would be nice to be able to open the chat window while on other screens; inventory, trade, etc.
Trade Chat? "Zone" seems so quiet...

LOADOUTS

Switching loadouts on console is pretty easy. (PS3) Start + Triangle + Start. Don't even have to wait for the menu to even load because of lag. Want Loadout 3? Press triangle twice. Easier way for PC?
Loadout Locking - cancel one out if you don't want to use it, or make it so it can't be changed accidentally.

GUI HUD

Basic layout works for me. Some may like the chat window on the 'other' side, to correspond to other online games. Seems fine to me.
Pursuits - Would be nice to show a couple 'quests progress' markers on screen. Maybe limit to 2 or 3? Same with Contracts. Showing you have 4/5 bombers in small text on the screen may be nicer than having that damn pop-up window come up late because of lag, and when you press START on console you won't go directly to the pursuit screen.

ITEM MENU Item breakdowns on console > Item Breakdowns on PC

Make an option to show/notshow the breakdown warning message. (Not a problem in console, TRIANGLE + UP + X, very quick, takes forever on PC)
Make an option to 'save favorites' from being salvaged/sold.
Make an option to breakdown in mass.
Not sure how, but something needs to be done to display inventory better. Grouping, extra tabs, submenus, etc.
New Items - on console this 'yellow' icon is pointless. You can only see it if it is at the top of the inventory list.

NOTIFICATIONS So, others have posted on this. Not sure how I feel about it.

New Mission Series - One of the lost VBI projects before the disappearance of VB, a DRAGONBALL RADAR, err I mean, Arkfall/Event Radar. Do a couple missions, find out where he was working on it, kill a bunch of stuff to get it, and have Rosa build one from the plans. Gives your EGO a mod to say, "VOLGE SIEGE @ QUARRY" or something. Gotta do the quest (no arena) for the EGO mod, no freebees! (Paid DLC content?)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091104065310/dragonball/images/thumb/c/c7/Vlcsnap-2009-11-03-22h51m40s24.png/180px-Vlcsnap-2009-11-03-22h51m40s24.png

CRITICAL Your connection to the DEFIANCE servers has timed out
Since we see this so much, can we get random Von Bach quotes instead?

CRITICAL: "So helping me was second on his list." -KVB

Cool Ideas! I love the notification radar idea and The Von Bach Critical error quotes!

Critical error: "That is why you should ALWAYS buy the advanced Von Bach equipment and never go for third party knockoffs!!!"

cusman
09-05-2013, 03:38 PM
When doing Inspect, allow to see full spec of weapon being seen, including all the mods and bonuses.

When on Inventory Screen with weapon selected, show the Synergy of Mods equipped.

cusman
09-05-2013, 03:40 PM
The audio chat channels should work like they are working today (except what the heck is zone?)

The text chat channels should work based on the filtering selections regardless of what channel you are currently on for audio.

bada55dragon
09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
theres only two things i would like 1 is a bank or a lockbox of our own were we can store weapons and stuff we aint using as i have over 33 orange weapons and sick of carring them and scared of breaking them down or selling them... and the 2nd thing is a one of server switch cause i was stuck on the crappy EU server were i would lag every were and now i can play on the NA server its so much betteralmost NO lag it just suck that i have a level 4400 plus character on the EU server which i'll never use again cause it so much easier to play on the NA server...

Iceberg
09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Agree with the customizable ui ideea, resize, move, and remove/add elements to the hud...remove the console feel (all the menus are linked by a general full screen menu, do we need to ocupy all the monitor with a character screen for example?)

and mainly steal the chat from...well...any mmorpg out there...ANY...try even browser based rpgs like darakensang or whatever that game is called...

At this point they can setup an IRC chat and it would be leaps and bounds better than what we have now.

Arsenic_Touch
09-05-2013, 06:57 PM
At this point they can setup an IRC chat and it would be leaps and bounds better than what we have now.

An IRC chat would be awesome!

Telamoont
09-05-2013, 07:01 PM
You guys doing a good job with the game. This Castithan DLC bring nice features to the game. But there is much to improve.

Please make weapon customization deeper. Weapons are a big diferencial in this mmo universe.
Improve the social engine. Chat is better now, but still need be attractive to players, I am feeling lack of a global channel chat.

For now these are my points. The game is growing great!

Best regards!

woodzee
09-05-2013, 10:37 PM
A couple ppl have suggested being able to remove one or more mods at a time instead of all of them and then losing either the gun or the mods depending on whether one is removing or retrieving mods...
Firstly I'd like to say that I don't see why we have to lose the gun or the mods...we should be able to disassemble and reassemble at will wihout losing anything except some kind of payment...like salvage and or scrip.....
Unless there's something going on with game balance I hate this idea...specially when dealing with fav guns n fav mods...at the absolute end we should at least get the equivalent salvage/scrip back for losing the items...
But back to my original idea...
It looks like there would be an easy way to instill the single mod remove/install idea....when u are in the matrix and u choose 'retrieve mods' you see a results window where you can scroll down the list of mods that are already attatched and u can press X to view them to see their stats....it seems intuitive and should be easy at this point to have an additional button to choose each one or more mods to remove....and hopefully we could also keep said mods for reinstall on other guns...
But if we have to choose and still lose either the mods or the weapon , I would still like to have the option to remove one or more mods instead of all....that way we could benefit from a somewhat improved weapon performance while we hunt for the rest of the ideal mods for it...
And like I said...there seems to be an easy interface already partially set up and ready for further development.

When I'm in inventory or the matrix listing or even loadout listing...and I choose to compare two shields side by side by moving dpad right or left..I see four empty mod slots appear on each shield stat card....so I'm wondering if we're going to see shield mods coming soon....sure looks like there's some infrastructure installed here for it!

Dracian
09-06-2013, 04:36 AM
I see a lot of people asking for more infos given when inspecting a player, especially regarding weapon stats and mods... For my part, I'm against that idea. Sure, it increase transparency concerning possible cheats/hacks/exploits, but I really enjoy that the little details that make my build a little bit better than other's in PvP are kept secret.

LITTLE B1RD
09-06-2013, 06:59 AM
I play on XBOX:

I would like to see the scroll function properly. Using the stick or d-pad while scrolling, it either does not work at all, or stops part way down. Consistantly having to back out and in again is aggrevating.

A shuffle function to sort inventory by, loadouts, or weapon types, or colors, etc.

I've seen people complain that they are trying to solo emergencies and don't want others to help. Maybe something could be implemented to where the person could put an icon above their avatar if they are going it solo, or want help.

Purple "man down" indicator on minimap, not just for groups. Extracting is painful.

woodzee
09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
While I agree with the idea of keeping your character build hidden and a mystery to ppl inspecting you to see your loadouts, I would still somehow like tosee a way that one could opt to allow it...as many times I want to show off a weapons stats or mod info to my friends without having to go through lengthy verbal descriptions

Also allowing the chat window to be used whether in game or menus...so that it pops up over the menus, etc and can also be moved out of the way temporarily while still in use and called back again easily without having to back out of anything...

woodzee
09-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes a mandown indicator on minimap would be awesome...flashing firstaid sign as in groups would be awesome...but applicable in any n all gameplay. ..
And a method to be able to shout out to ppl beyond the range of the minimap for help with mandown...maybe an easy to access and use button preprogrammed with a 'help! Heal/raise me' @coordinates ...of where you are on map..mto be used when soloing n not part of busy arkfalls n seiges n shadowwars....mabe even a fast travel mehod to get to him? And then maybe extend then extraction timedown for longer period to allow help to arrive..but still leaving manual extraction option...

Atticus Batman
09-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes a mandown indicator on minimap would be awesome...flashing firstaid sign as in groups would be awesome...but applicable in any n all gameplay. ..
And a method to be able to shout out to ppl beyond the range of the minimap for help with mandown...maybe an easy to access and use button preprogrammed with a 'help! Heal/raise me' @coordinates ...of where you are on map..mto be used when soloing n not part of busy arkfalls n seiges n shadowwars....mabe even a fast travel mehod to get to him? And then maybe extend then extraction timedown for longer period to allow help to arrive..but still leaving manual extraction option...

Love the man down idea.

nacado
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
OMG How does it look? I did not play the Military Map yet Lol

DarknessEyes PT
09-07-2013, 04:20 AM
Inventory:
* You have the check boxes in each item that can be used to compare only. Those check boxes could be used to mass salvage.

Chat:
* Fix the auto scroll down in small chat window at bottom right.
* Another keybind to type on small chat window at bottom right.

Main UI
* Numerical delay in grenade, perk and vehicle recharge.
* Numerical HP and Shield.
* Percentage and current level on weapon xp.

Persuits / Contracts
* Ability to always show a pursuit/contract details on main screen (like a quest).

Loadouts:
* Ability to view perk name and details on mouse over.

Inspect:
* Ability to view perk name and details on mouse over.
* Ability to view item name and details on mouse over (weapons, shields and grenades).

Stats:
* Percentage and current level on weapon xp.
* 20 Xp bars for 20 levels instead of 10 xp bars for 20 levels.

Arkfalls / Sieges:
* Ability to ALWAYS show nearest Major Arkfall, Minor Arkfall and/or Siege (Can be disabled or enabled).

Keybinds:
* Ability to set a keybind to view scores on PVP, ATM the keybind to view scores is "TAB" and i use "TAB" to chat which prevents me from chatting during pvp...

DragonsWife
09-07-2013, 05:38 AM
I don't think the UI needs a complete overhaul, a few changes would do it IMO.

* Get rid of the unnecessary background animation when in the loadout screen, etc. It creates lag.
* Make it possible to change loadouts without going into said loadout screen.
* Add a function to filter special effects for other players, non-group members, non-friends, and non-clan mates respectively. This would help a great deal with lag management.
* Add a function to lock your co-op map to just clan mates or friends.
* Fix the chat screen, it sucks.
* Make emotes more accessible. A wide range of emotes would be neat too.

Everyone else has pretty much covered anything else I would add, those were the most important to me.

JEMINAI
09-07-2013, 08:04 AM
not particularly fussed about the layout, as the whole screen is a HUD and not interactive with mouse clicking etc id work on adding more info. (brainstorm just hit me, modded helms... to adjust or color ones HUD would be nice to have some kind of target tracking or heat sigs but ill keep dreamin on that one), info i would like to see is triggered effects and DoT counters both on self and target. and a little more indication where an attack is coming from. and on that vein, a better way to spot enemies in PVP, just a dot like allies theres no real point to hiding in bushes in pvp, in fact standing still mostly = death.

we put a lot of faith in the idea that our nanos are doing what they are designed to do...

on a side note, please!!!!! the option to salvage and sell multiple items at once kthx!

JEMINAI
09-07-2013, 08:07 AM
OMG How does it look? I did not play the Military Map yet Lol

nor have i :P
does anyone ever get in there???

JEMINAI
09-07-2013, 08:15 AM
I have to question the wisdom of redoing the UI at this point. The person in charge (is it still RedAvocado?) is aware that Defiance's main retention issue is related to the lack of content, right? Every single person from my community who no longer plays Defiance constantly insists that the reason they left was due to the lack of things to do. Changing the UI [b]does not address the game's core problem[/list]

there has been as much moaning about the UI from what ive seen... cant say its trion getting distracted by the trivial.
UI polish has been requested, they have listened. as long as it ISN'T delaying new content i say go for it.
i do agree with notturno about priority and by next DLC it is pretty much crunch time. we will know where the priorities lie.

Nilxain
09-07-2013, 09:15 AM
A normal, functional, chat window.
Timers for CDs
Alerts for:

Downed Players
Sieges
Arkfalls

Both should pop up on the side of your screen (similar to a quest tracker) with an icon that you can click on to port to the nearest spawn spot.

A multiple Item select system for selling and salvaging (when you toggle whichever it then allows you to select multiple items then "finish" to complete your selections - but is not required to use)
more selections in the salvage matrix:

remove a single mod
combine weapons to get the bonuses, synergies, and masteries you want
Auto reset mastery for "n" (pre-selected) weapons when the skill bar completes

**I may add more later**

Critical Errors
09-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Put Inventory on the HUD! This has always bugged me that I have to go into a separate menu to see if I'm close to full!

LITTLE B1RD
09-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I play on XBOX:

I would like to see the scroll function properly. Using the stick or d-pad while scrolling, it either does not work at all, or stops part way down. Consistantly having to back out and in again is aggrevating.

A shuffle function to sort inventory by, loadouts, or weapon types, or colors, etc.

I've seen people complain that they are trying to solo emergencies and don't want others to help. Maybe something could be implemented to where the person could put an icon above their avatar if they are going it solo, or want help.

Purple "man down" indicator on minimap, not just for groups. Extracting is painful.

* Something I thought to add to original reply:

When we add a mod to a weapon, it shows us a scrip value increase just above where you see the results of the mod.
Can we please actually get that from the vendor if we sell it with the mod still attached.

WhiteGoblin
09-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Hey guys,

The devs have asked that I start a thread to compile feedback on the game's UI. The team's working on a comprehensive overhaul so we want to take a fresh look at everything.

Are you thinking of making a unique UI for PC or are you still going for the same UI for everyone (even though we're not on the same server which doesn't bring any unfair advantages)?

Some things I'd like, in no particular order :

- Mastered weapons should have a yellow star on their bottom-left corner instead of using the same yellow bar from new items.

- Items should show every loadouts being used in.

- There should be a way to select items which won't be showed for trade at vendors (other then those already in a loadout).

- In the stats screen, have the "progress markings" for weapon/driving skill progress correspond to the real skill progression.

- Make a key mapping for loadouts swapping.

- Show Perk tooltip at the loadouts screen.

- Replace scrip amount for inventory space on HUD.

- We shouldn't have to manually unequip an item from every loadout before doing something with it in the salvage matrix screen. The game can do it itself.

- We should be able to replace an item in a loadout with "nothing".

And lastly, I never chat in this game, but I'm sure it needs improvement. ;)

Worldviewsinc
09-07-2013, 03:10 PM
The old chat system was way better than it is now...It's truly a pain in the neck not being able to just type a quick message with the chat pad on Xbox by just pressing the enter key and typing.

Now we're presented with a full overlay screen that completely takes us out of gameplay....Yeah, the old way was far better!!!

Indra Echo
09-07-2013, 03:57 PM
The inventory interface is a nightmare. Grenades don't clutter it up-the lack of any categorization does. If they want people to spend more real money, this is a thing to fix.

Create some sort of interface that is not one long list. And then also allow inventory slots that have been purchased to be available to all characters created on that platform.

Ashlocke
09-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Unless Pows are going to pick up assault rifles and start shooting at us can we please remove them from showing up on radar as enemies?

Yrkul
09-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Unless Pows are going to pick up assault rifles and start shooting at us can we please remove them from showing up on radar as enemies?

DLC4: The pow uprising...

Ashlocke
09-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I forgot to add one: I would really like to be able to click on the stats page and see all of the different faction currencies I have. I.E. Thorn, Paradise, Soleptor, etc.

Currently I have to travel to each vendor and click on the vendor truck to see how much currency I have for each.

If there is already a window where this info can be found, I haven't seen it and that in and of itself should tell you something about how unintuitive the UI interface is.

For example, clicking on the stats page will display all of the factions and your level of trust with them, Neutral, Trusted, etc. Simply place a currency value to the right of of your trust rating.

Not a BAR, a simple NUMBER.
Sorry I had to add that last part in because I hate bars, I prefer numbers.

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 11:22 PM
I forgot to add one: I would really like to be able to click on the stats page and see all of the different faction currencies I have. I.E. Thorn, Paradise, Soleptor, etc.

Currently I have to travel to each vendor and click on the vendor truck to see how much currency I have for each.

If there is already a window where this info can be found, I haven't seen it and that in and of itself should tell you something about how unintuitive the UI interface is.

For example, clicking on the stats page will display all of the factions and your level of trust with them, Neutral, Trusted, etc. Simply place a currency value to the right of of your trust rating.

Not a BAR, a simple NUMBER.
Sorry I had to add that last part in because I hate bars, I prefer numbers.

I definitely agree, and no there is NOT an actual way to see your CURRENT spendable rep points in the stat screen or anywhere in the UI. It NEEDS added.

N3gativeCr33p
09-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Well said, kind sir or madam!

Dross
09-09-2013, 02:10 AM
I definitely agree, and no there is NOT an actual way to see your CURRENT spendable rep points in the stat screen or anywhere in the UI. It NEEDS added.

Go to the contracts screen and it will not only show the current contracts but your rep and rep points with each faction

Ashlocke
09-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Go to the contracts screen and it will not only show the current contracts but your rep and rep points with each faction
See, perfect example of what I mean by unintuitive UI. I had thought about this screen before, but assumed it was tracking my reputation with each faction. It's fuzzy to me what happens if I spend faction points to purchase something, does it deduct them from my reputation on that screen, essentially making me less favorable towards that faction? so basically to gain favor with a faction I have to NOT shop there? Me thinkest tis quite goofy.

This all but begs there to be a more clear layout detailing things in a manner that makes logical sense and leaves little to guess at.

Dracian
09-09-2013, 04:11 AM
See, perfect example of what I mean by unintuitive UI. I had thought about this screen before, but assumed it was tracking my reputation with each faction. It's fuzzy to me what happens if I spend faction points to purchase something, does it deduct them from my reputation on that screen, essentially making me less favorable towards that faction? so basically to gain favor with a faction I have to NOT shop there? Me thinkest tis quite goofy.

This all but begs there to be a more clear layout detailing things in a manner that makes logical sense and leaves little to guess at.

Actually, there is a difference between spendable reputation and overall reputation, the former being the number shown in the Contract page, while the numerical value of the later being hidden and only shown with the ranks gained (Unknown, Familiar, Trusted, ...).

However, I agree (and I think I have mentionned it in my post) : being able to see the numerical value of that stat could be nice.

Atticus Batman
09-09-2013, 03:35 PM

It does NOt show the actual numbers. The dev's said themselves that it ony shows stored progress towards the 1000 max rep points. It therefore is NOT accurate, as most would prefer. Sure you could use it to guesstimate, but why should we when the technology to make it all completely visible to us is in there hands. They just need to choose to use it. Just read Dracian's post. THat is what I am talking about and it SHOULD be made visible to us.

SPD
09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Chat window. Can't just have something like the Rift chat system. and Oh Yeah, how about mail?

ShawnyBee
09-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I would like icons to pop up, to indicate perks have been activated. Only for the timed ones. So if a perk activates and is active for x amount of time, the perk icon pops up. Keep them small and discreet, and to the outer edges of screen, but noticiable. It then of course dissapears, when it finishes. Similar to other MMO's, with buffs and de-buffs.

Dar Katan
09-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Changes:

* Fonts - get rid of the font that is being used. Use a super readable font with nice kerning. Helvetica or Myriad Pro are amazing screen fonts with excellent readability.

* Flat design - flatten out your UI and make it simple. Get rid of the flashy background in the character / map screen, and the rough edges to the item boxes / perk boxes.

* "Boxed" UI Elements - Eliminate the ie. [ 3674 Dar Katan ] boxes.

* Map Legend - Remove this, have a button that brings it up but do not have it up all the time

* Small Map - Bring the location identifier below the map and make the font the same size as the time / date. Remove the rough edged look of the map.

* Shield / Health Bars - Reduce the size of the shield bar to be inline with the health bar.

* Quest Log (Right Side of Screen) - Remove bolded titles and make it minimal. No reason to have a check box is you cannot check it off yourself.

Less of this:
A DISTURBING DISCOVERY
[ ] Enter Top-Notch

More of this:
A Disturbing Discovery

- Enter Top-Notch

* Arkfall / Unique Mission / Emergency Status (Top middle of screen) - This does not need to be so big and bold. Move it down into the Quest Log area and make it less intrusive to the over all UI. Colour coding could also work.

Arkfall - Dark Matter

Time: 21:24:45

Hellbug Emergency

0/5 Collect Pharamones

* Faction Quests - Give the ability to track the quest in the right side quest tracker.

Soleptor Faction Daily

5/20 Mining Things

Soleptor Faction Weekly

76/100 99'ers Killed

* Character screen - maximize and utilize the screen real-estate. I have roughly 20% of screen real-estate on each side of the character panel being wasted.

I'm not sure how many of on the forums or at Trion have played Diablo III for Xbox / PS but that interface is killer. The main UI is so minimal it almost tricks into thinking the game is to easy. The way they use the circle navigation in the player screen is ingenious. I would suggest getting inspired by Blizzards UI design, they did it right!

I am speaking from a Xbox 360 user so these suggestions are mainly directed at the console versions.

ten4
09-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Load up Rift and check out that UI imo. That or try ff 14 RR for another excellent example of UI done right. I do find it baffling that they are asking us here rather than stepping across the corridor and speaking with the Rift UI guys who made one the best stock UIs I have ever seen in a MMO....do they not want any thing to do with the Defiance devs or something?

At the very least, chat UI should be all on the right pane using tabs predefined and user created 'channels' with filters: not some box that obscures the screen which makes me wonder if the person(s) who put all that work into it has ever played an MMO or heck any other game with online chat functions...it's totally backwards. Only good thing from recent changes was adding zone chat, other wise it's a total disaster that should have been retracted.

Inventory needs a revamp. Perhaps simplest way is ability to tag stuff so it does not show in the salvage screen and then ability to mass salvage items. Nothing is more aggravating and hand numbing than salvaging 100+ items. I suggest the devs to actually play the game and salvage that many items mixed in with junk you do not want to scrap in one go to see what I mean.

Indra Echo
09-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Load up Rift and check out that UI imo. That or try ff 14 RR for another excellent example of UI done right. I do find it baffling that they are asking us here rather than stepping across the corridor and speaking with the Rift UI guys who made one the best stock UIs I have ever seen in a MMO....do they not want any thing to do with the Defiance devs or something?

At the very least, chat UI should be all on the right pane using tabs predefined and user created 'channels' with filters: not some box that obscures the screen which makes me wonder if the person(s) who put all that work into it has ever played an MMO or heck any other game with online chat functions...it's totally backwards. Only good thing from recent changes was adding zone chat, other wise it's a total disaster that should have been retracted.

Inventory needs a revamp. Perhaps simplest way is ability to tag stuff so it does not show in the salvage screen and then ability to mass salvage items. Nothing is more aggravating and hand numbing than salvaging 100+ items. I suggest the devs to actually play the game and salvage that many items mixed in with junk you do not want to scrap in one go to see what I mean.

Since much of the stuff suggested in this thread has been suggested in the suggestion forum and in the last official suggestions thread and official suggestions google voting place created for official suggestions, I think my suggestion button is getting worn out. I'm tired of suggesting stuff just to keep suggesting it and keep on repeating that I or others have already suggested our suggestions in official and unofficial threads.

I think it's high time someone said, "these suggestions make sense". The inventory UI is unworkable. Categories. Create headings, dropdowns, tabs, something for each weapon type (shotguns, sniper rifles, ARs-LMGs-SMGs, and sort by things that all use the same types of mods). Create a section for new weapons that shows clearly all the new things a player just got-a place where stuff could be selected to move into regular inventory (3 selectable checkboxes next to the new item-save, sell, or scrap) with an ALL function at the top.

So say you have 5 new weapons and want to save all of them-you select the save checkbox at the top for ALL and you save all. But if you want to sell 2 things, save 2, and scrap 1, there'd be a check box next to them. Make your selections and then hit a button at the bottom to proceed with the desired actions. This would allow for multiple selections to be made at once.

And the same thing could be carried over to the other inventory screens, so under Shotguns you could decide to scrap ALL or sell some, but choose several at a time if you want. It would be easier to do on PCs but could also be done on consoles too even if just by using the directional pad. I'd rather have it work for that than to just be used to look at the gun, but they could keep that function by setting up a button as a view button, and then making it so we can see all the stats about the weapon, including the mods that are on it (and their synergies).

N3gativeCr33p
09-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Since much of the stuff suggested in this thread has been suggested in the suggestion forum and in the last official suggestions thread and official suggestions google voting place created for official suggestions, I think my suggestion button is getting worn out. I'm tired of suggesting stuff just to keep suggesting it and keep on repeating that I or others have already suggested our suggestions in official and unofficial threads.

Likewise... me too! My reporting button is getting worn out too, with all of the movie spam bots around here. I'm officially done doing that too. Doesn't seem to do a bit of good for curbing the spam around here, IMHO.

Dar Katan
09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7u6sCaAl.jpg

Full size image here: http://i.imgur.com/7u6sCaA.jpg

Celke
09-12-2013, 01:07 PM
First of all, maybe also look at the google administration poll you put on about 2 weeks back?

I mean, asking us this but not doing anything with it then that's just ...

Anyhow

Chat is first priority, like many said copy some excisting chat like RIFT's chat system, the ability to create diffrent tabs, adjust settings (like to hide some channels in some tabs, adjust font size, etc), also support for item linking in chat so that we can click on it and then see the weaponinfo with stats, etc.

"Mouse pointer", while we already have that when we pull out the big oversized chat window or in the menu, but we also need to be able to use it if you gonna make a working chat. Ofc this is a shooter where you have your crosshair but what about assigning a button (one we can remap to our own choose!) for example alt, when we press alt we get an arrow in game and with that arrow we can click on linked weapons in chat, click on names in chat and get a little popup meny with invite to group, whisper, etc, pressing alt again will remove the pointer and moving mouse will then again move your crosshair.

Inventory management is awfull at this time, I have about 91 inventory slots and if I do some farming and all that stuff it gets way to chaotich. We need an "all" which shows all items but also other tabs like weapons, grenades, shields, mods.. the ablity to "hide" equiped weapons and also let us choose to hide aditional items that we don't want to bring up in the list (maybe add another tab called hidden items or anything), also those filters should apply when interacting with vendors, mod machines and salvage matrix.
Also the ablity to tick multiple items and "salvage all" and on top of list an icon when we press it that tics all at once and then we can manually remove a few items that we don't want to salvage.

Pursuit and contract menu is hidden away, bring it in a (game overlay window, a window in game but not the whole size menu) for example achievement list in RIFT, an add a tracker in game to the right for example (or let us choose where to add the tracker list in our screen) so I am farming the 5K sniper shot's that I can add that single pursuit in the tracker and that it upades and I can see it in my screen without needing to press esc, cancel the quick roll menu, going to pursuit list ...

In general give us the option to manually resize windows and menus, beeing able to place them anywere on the screen so for example I can bring my chat window to the left and the weapon menu on the right. Like "edit interface" in RIFT.

There are a lot of other things I don't really know how to say right but i've read the comments and other people have got it covered.
Also, I suggest while looking at our responses to also look at the google administration pull we did 2 weeks back.
And don't forget to give options in game when changing things, so we can choose what to change and how to change. Not everybody likes the same interface. Some players like A more while other players like B more .. that way you statisfy much more players at the same time.

And a less buggy UI in general.

Doing this wil sure up the player count and show us that you still can do something about this game.

Don't dissapoint us this time please.

Edit: this is mainly from a PC perseptive.

Milar
09-13-2013, 08:15 AM
I second everything written in this thread sofar :D

And I would like to stress that a functioning chat of some kind would be really really nice ( we can dream right?) :D

woodzee
09-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm thinking that if the check-boxes to the right of each item in inventory/matrix/loadout listings are not used to do mass breakdowns, then maybe they could be used to 'lock' items so that they cannot be accidently brokendown/traded...
Also, I would like some way to show when we look at a weapon whether the mods on it are synergy mods or not and what ones they are...ie. if the weapon is a'Brutal' with a brutal mod and a nonbrutal mod and two empty slots...have the effect list be shown gray lettering for the empty and non synergy mods and white lettering for the matching brutal synergy mod...
Or, we can currently 'view' the mods when we 'Retrieve' them..but the view option doesn't show what synergy type it is...so maybe you could add the full mod-card's info to this view option so we can see exactly what synergy mods if any are on the weapon...
Add to this the ability to add on and take off one or more mods at a time...and maybe be able to keep them AND thegun but charge us salvage or something to do it...

woodzee
09-14-2013, 01:39 AM

I like the idea of tagging the stuff u want to keep ,and then mass salvaging the rest, but I like to compare new items side by side with ones I have , in order to pick the best ones , and salvage as i go....so i suggest being able to tag ( maybe with the check box to the right of each item) the items we want to keep along with the ability to easily untag/check with new ones that we can continue to side by side compare to , and then be able to mass breakdown any in list that are unchecked/tagged after we're done.

Add to this the listings should use the same drop down menu system as is used in the pursuit section grouped in the same way the guns are now..pistols, bmgs, assault rifles, etc...
And you can addbuttons that 'breakdown' or 'sell' items not already checked for saving , or, everything is 'saved' automatically, and then you 'check' or otherwise tag any items and press 'breakdown' or 'sell' and maybe even 'trade' for those items..(as long as saved items are clearly designated and kept separate from the transaction with no possibility of a mixup)
So long as you PLEASE keep the ability to side by side compare the items in each section...lol =)

woodzee
09-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Running around picking up scrip/salvage/ammo/weapons. ..is too much..and must be adding a hell of a rendering load or load of somekind on the game/screen. ...
Maybe instead have the salvage and scrip not appear in game on the ground but instead automatically be added to character inventory as we earn them, with the same HUD notification that we have now appearing on the left of screen...
Ammo.. is a tougher one, as I do understand the gameplay use and strategy of looking around and picking up ammo when running out , or running to find an ammo box, and sometimes not being in an area with an ammo box.....but again, to lighten the load, maybe u can add more ammo box 'stations' throughout the game map....... or, alternatively, add only one 'drop box' in game on ground per character, visible only to that character, and just have the amounts of ammo earned with each kill added to the 'dropped box' , allowing the ammo amount to grow as the battle continues, and having the player run to it each time to replenish (have these spontaneously appear at the spot where player first earns his first kill of the ongoing battle)
Or, if gameplay and strategy is not an issue, then simplify it with the same method I suggest for scrip and salvage, where it is automatically added to players inventory and nothing appears on the ground ingame and instead just appears as a notification in HUD...

This way, only have the weapon/grenade/shield drops appear on ground for pickup...and please have the 'glowing light markers' on them increased so that we can see them better...and have them stay on until either pickup or area timeout....
sometimes I stumble upon a weapon with no 'glow' on it and wonder how many more I've missed.....
or I'll die n respawn away from battle n come back to find all drops n weapons gone...

Ashlocke
09-14-2013, 05:06 PM
sometimes I stumble upon a weapon with no 'glow' on it and wonder how many more I've missed.....

What I really hate is when I kill a foe on top of a building, like in the new Volge Sieges, where they purposely spawn on top of buildings and I see a blue glow of a dropped item but I CAN'T get to it because there is no way to get up to where they spawned.

My secondary annoyance is what I've affectionately called my "Loot Dance" after any big battle like an arkfall or Siege I have to spend 10 minutes running around collecting scrip, salvage, gear, etc.

So yeah, I'm all in favor of anything to eliminate and fix this annoyance/tedium.

Except for ammo, that's not really loot but a critical game mechanic. That should be left alone, it is a critical tactical component of the game.

Heck, if they really wanted to fix it AND make money, create a purchasable henchman/servant/sidekick/assistant/robot etc. sold in the cash shop whose sole purpose is to go around collecting all of your hard earned loot lying on the ground. Give it a modest carrying capacity good enough to hold the spoils of a large battle and make sure it can fly or climb to get to those places on tall buildings. Then after the fight you can just click on it and "collect all" on one fell swoop instead of running around like a dodo bird.

I bet this item would sell like crazy in the cash shop. It would probably be less draining on the game rendering one henchman instead of 80 pieces of loot on the ground too. For even more money you can sell capacity increases for them since folks have been asking for additional storage that isn't on their character, this might fit that bill in a unique way that isn't the traditional boring bank vault.

The main reason I've never liked the idea of adding in a location based bank vault was exactly that, why would I want to purchase storage at a place that I have to travel to when I can purchase more backpack space and have it on me with no traveling to get to it. The henchman can fix both issues, non personal extra storage (I.E. a bank vault) but a vault that travels with me.

Anyhow, while I do like my suggestion this isn't really a UI thing, unless you count the UI interface that would be needed to interact with it. This reply basically started out as a gripe against the "Loot Dance". :)

woodzee
09-14-2013, 06:14 PM
What I really hate is when I kill a foe on top of a building, like in the new Volge Sieges, where they purposely spawn on top of buildings and I see a blue glow of a dropped item but I CAN'T get to it because there is no way to get up to where they spawned.

My secondary annoyance is what I've affectionately called my "Loot Dance" after any big battle like an arkfall or Siege I have to spend 10 minutes running around collecting scrip, salvage, gear, etc.

So yeah, I'm all in favor of anything to elimplayersate and fix this annoyance/tedium.

Except for ammo, that's not really loot but a critical game mechanic. That should be left alone, it is a critical tactical component of the game.

Heck, if they really wanted to fix it AND make money, create a purchasable henchman/servant/sidekick/assistant/robot etc. sold in the cash shop whose sole purpose is to go around collecting all of your hard earned loot lying on the ground. Give it a modest carrying capacity good enough to hold the spoils of a large battle and make sure it can fly or climb to get to those places on tall buildings. Then after the fight you can just click on it and "collect all" on one fell swoop instead of running around like a dodo bird.

I bet this item would sell like crazy in the cash shop. It would probably be less draining on the game rendering one henchman instead of 80 pieces of loot on the ground too. For even more money you can sell capacity increases for them since folks have been asking for additional storage that isn't on their character, this might fit that bill in a unique way that isn't the traditional boring bank vault.

The main reason I've never liked the idea of adding in a location based bank vault was exactly that, why would I want to purchase storage at a place that I have to travel to when I can purchase more backpack space and have it on me with no traveling to get to it. The henchman can fix both issues, non personal extra storage (I.E. a bank vault) but a vault that travels with me.

Anyhow, while I do like my suggestion this isn't really a UI thing, unless you count the UI interface that would be needed to interact with it. This reply basically started out as a gripe against the "Loot Dance". :)

Yeah, that not able to get at drops on top of buildings IS a pain...but something still needs to be done about the ammo...I've had many times where 40, 50, or more ammo piles have been left on ground on screen after I've filled back up...I end up leaving them behind, and of course computer resources are being used up to render them onscreen all during the battle...so SOME form of solution is needed...still think best idea to preserve gameplay mechanics and strategies is where one 'dropbox/pile' per character appears onscreen/onground from the moment of that players first kill is earned..to which is added all other ammo during fight and to which that player must run to much like current ammo boxes..
However, if your gameplay strategy is to run n pickup ammo from the mob u just killed then maybe best idea is still to not have it appear onground ingame but instead have it added to inventory right away upon being earned and have it appear on Hud

Interesting idea about having a bot follow us around...kind of like some 99ers have little support-turrets/health bots with them....but the idea is to lighten load on the system and that will just add dozens more objects to screen..I think instead they maybe should broaden pickup range for items out of reach. ..or something like that...and a bank is not really needed.... if ppl are going to have to pay for additional storage, the current system of buying additional inventory slots is sufficient. ..it just needs fine tuning like drop down menus like in the pursuit scetion grouped as per gun class and have ability to lockin items to be saved against accidental deletion...
That way its portable, expandable, and immediately accessible at any time.

Ashlocke
09-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Interesting idea about having a bot follow us around...kind of like some 99ers have little support-turrets/health bots with them....but the idea is to lighten load on the system and that will just add dozens more objects to screen..

I should clear this up, currently your loot is only visible to you, no one else sees it, likewise, you won't be seeing 50 loot bots running around (one for every player in your area) you will just see one, yours. This should drastically reduce the amount of on screen "stuff" that only you can see being rendered. Instead of rendering 50 loot drops (scrip/salvage/gear/ammo) that only you can see, now it will only render and keep track of one single loot bot as it runs around grabbing all of the loot drops that pertain to you.

Or better yet, add in options to check off:
[ ] Show only your loot bot
[ ] show all loot bots
[ ] show X number loot bots within Y feet of you (X and Y numbers to be determined by Devs for optimal performance)

Since not everyone has a weak PC some folks have beefy systems that can handle pretty much anything the game can throw at it.

As for the ammo issue, personally I think it works as is, but if I were to throw a suggestion for it out that doesn't change the dynamic of how it works very much, how about this:

You pick up ammo as normal and it adds to your ammo count as normal, when you hit your maximum ammo count, say for example assault rifle ammo caps at 500, then any additional ammo you pick up will go into a temporary buffer, when you are running low on ammo again you press (some key) and it "uses" (basically acts like you run over a normal ammo drop).

You can hit this ammo key as many times as you have ammo drops stored in the temporary buffer. Ideally somewhere on screen will be a small numerical indicator of how many ammo drops are currently in your buffer. Ammo fades from the buffer after X amount of time.

All this suggestion will do is remove the on screen ammo spam being rendered, it still limits how much ammo you can get from defeated foes etc.

FDG SKULLS
09-14-2013, 11:53 PM

If Trion is as agile as they claim, this shouldn't be anywhere near priority. Sadly, I'm going to assume this is going to happen anyway, so I guess I'll go ahead and provide feedback.

Chat: The chat "revamp" was not what we needed. I do not understand why we cannot have the same, exact chat system as RIFT. The chat system does not need to be reinvented, just take what works and put it in Defiance.
Chat Box Switching: Along with the above chat suggestion, please allow for the "X" key on keyboards to swap between tabs.
Trade Chat: Either implement a private chat for trading, or allow us to use the chat window while trading.
Radar: Please revert the change where you made player dots the same size as NPC dots. Since you guys have now forced Shadow Wars upon all PvPers, we kind of need some delineation between NPCs and players on the radar. I have no idea why this was changed in the first place, but it was unnecessary.
Charge Weapon Crosshairs: The charging notification on hip fire needs to have its opacity toned down, it's very difficult to see targets through it.
Sort Items: Allow for collapsible tabs (similar to your pursuits) that categorize items.
Saved/Important Items: Allow us to mark items as "important" so they cannot be sold or lost to the salvage matrix.
Character Deletion?: I'm not sure if this still exists, but that character delete button on the login screen is absolutely terrifying. I have not verified (as I would rather not risk my character) whether there is an e-mail confirmation for character deletion or not... but there really should be.
Display Match Queue: Show the current queue numbers for all cooperative and competitive maps in the UI, if possible.
Inspections: When hovering over someone's layout information, allow the inspecting user to see the modifications<---AND SYNERGY OF THE MODS ATTACHED and bonuses on gear.

i agree with everything i highlighted in red and the ones in blue a definitely must have. ( Even though this isnt about this ) I also agree with you COME ON ALREADY ADD SOME NEW MISSIONS AND NOT JUST 1 or 2 ADD SOMETHING LIKE THE LENGTH OF THE MAIN STORY LINE ALREADY! I get that you can repeat the story as many times as you want BUT its repetitive and boring.

Ashlocke
09-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Just some things I'd like to point out due to a kind poster putting up the recent live stream in a thread here (I can never get the twitch site to show me the video for some reason).

While I'm one of the folks who was ecstatic upon hearing the Devs use the word "Overhaul" in regards to the UI, from seeing the game play from the video I'm of the new mind that the UI is in fact not being "Overhauled" but rather tweaked and adjusted. While that's certainly a good thing, I believe that also means that many suggestions are not going to be implemented. At best we might see the top issues that have plagued the UI addressed. That is my best hope at least. I will still be disappointed that we won't be able to customize the UI to our individual preferences.

On a final note, those of you saying things along the lines of "Why waste time on UI when they should be adding more content etc" might want to keep something in mind. In past games that I've played this is a common request on forums and the common Dev reply is usually something along the lines of: "We have many different Devs, some code, some work on art, some work on fixing bugs, etc". Basically the Dev working on the new UI doesn't have much to do with the Devs working on producing future content. We'll get new content whether they fix the UI or not.

Me personally I'd love to be able to play the future new content on a much improved interface, wouldn't you? :)

FDG SKULLS
09-15-2013, 01:59 AM
i really dont care about the interface i just want something else to do instead of always chasing ark falls i dont like playing PVP so and i beat the story way to many times so theres nothing else really to do.

Ozz
09-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Kool! Firstly, people like to have the option of working things in-game to suit themselves. Secondly, they like convenience. Thirdly, they like to feel important and listened to and that their point of view is valued. Lastly, people like variety.

Angry Chicken
09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
How about opening the UI up to modders? Is that even possible?

I loved the old mmorpg, Anarchy Online. That UI was moddable (I might be using the wrong terminology, but bear with me). The customized UIs could be discussed and downloaded from the forums. You could just download a couple files for your favorite one and replace the corresponding game files in a plug-in folder. It was awesome. People came up with all sorts of useful stuff, from more convenient button placements to clever sorting add-ons. I'm not much of a whiz at that stuff so I don't know how possible it is in Defiance. Or where to draw the linesome tween conveniences and hacks. It greatly enhanced gameplay in AO, though, and enhanced the community around the game as well.

I'd love to see players customize and share UIs. Are player created plug-ins like this even technically possible?

Red Duck
09-29-2013, 06:14 AM
I've played a lot of games over the years, and I have to say this game is the most frustrating, the most confusing and least fun game yet. It's not that it has to be. It's because they did so very many things wrong with the game.

Lets start with the inventory system:
It's a complete mess. There are very few meaningful ways to sort the weapons, and zero ways to mark things you want to get rid of. And the weapons? Well, there are a lot of them, but the percentage "advantages" you get from modding them are rarely worth the time and money -- even if you could figure out when to use certain mods and the mysteries of 'synergy'. And the way loadouts are handled? Seriously? In the middle of a battle you have to get into the load out screen (press 'L'-- as you're being shot or torn apart by something), click on the loadout you want (well, there went your shield), then return to the battle. Oh. Never mind. Hit 'E'... Hot keys are essential -- and completely left out of one of the most critical aspects of the game.

Shields:
You might as well be wearing a nice sun dress. The shields are just one step short of useless, and the recharge times are a not-funny joke. Seriously... 9 or even 6 seconds in a battle is an eternity. One that quickly kills you dead from enemy attack. Oh yeah, speaking of which...

Enemies:
It isn't just that some of them are vastly over-powered (can you say Volge at EVERY street corner?). Nope. IT'S THE FACT THAT THEY JUST KEEP APPEARING BEHIND YOU. Yup. You've killed a bunch of them, so new ones just respawn right behind you, circling you and shooting, all at once, from all sides. Of course, you can just run and jump and roll out of the way. Oh wait... you can't!

Movement:
This is the absolute, positive, WORST part of the game. And it's a game killer for me.

Your character, whether he's in a "vehicle" or on foot, might as well be standing still. No matter what you're trying to do, it's like you're a pregnant yak trying to wade through neck deep mud. You might as well just save yourself the trouble and frustration and stand still and let your shields... oh. Well, yeah, that won't work either.

The point here, is that movement is absolutely critical to survival, and you simply can't move fast enough. And the "cover", which is plentiful, is a not-so-funny joke -- you can't hide behind it because while you often can't shoot from cover, THEY can still hit YOU. One, maybe two shots, and your shields are gone -- then they respawn from behind and you're dead. So more often then not, your 'cover' simply pins you in place or blocks you path as you desperately try and get away from something -- all while moving at a speed a toddler could zip passed.

The vehicles are about the same. The way they steer (in reverse) is counter intuitive and the way they handle makes them all but useless. A 1960 Ford pickup with 4 flat tires handles better than anything in the game -- from those stupid bikes all the way up to the vaunted Chargers.

CAN people overcome these short comings? Yes. There are many who excel at this game. Does that make the game enjoyable to the rest of us? Um... that'd be no.

My advice to the devs? Take some pages out of Borderlands. Their UI is excellent, the shields useful and the vehicles fun to drive. And, for the love of all the gods, create a friggen' hot key system for the weapons!

On a positive note, I will say that Arc Falls are fun and I'll probably stick to them until some of these issues are addressed. This is mainly because there are so many targets, that the UI can't hammer a single person. Sure, you still die on occasion, but there is a much better chance of survival. The Vulge attacks (the sustained ones that are more like Arc falls) are also fun. The Volge roadblocks will often kill you several several times on your way to whatever encounter you want to get to, so I avoid those as best as I'm able.

I understand there are some changes coming to the game. I'll be interested to see what they are, because I'm not buying any 'bits' or upgrade packs until they prove they can make a playable game.

Dafunk
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I guess I could have a lot of gripes. One of my big ones is not having a dedicated chatbox on screen with you easily accessible in the times you want to get a word out or be social but have to STOP completely what you're doing and sit around with the chat open... I just think it can be done better..

zzzornbringer
10-01-2013, 11:48 PM
i don't have issues with the ui persť but i would really like a button so switch loadout back and forth or keys (1-5) to access loadouts directly.

another minor thing would be an option to have only one outfit for all the loadouts. (i want a persistent character that has one outfit for all the different loadouts.) also, another minor thing, a button that applies the current perks to all other loadouts.

one (or maybe two) major thing(s) are the ego grid and the salvage matrix. those in fact need a complete overhaul. better overview for the ego grid and matrix and more importantly, way less clicks for the salvage matrix.

Vandez
10-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I just did a quick read through of posts here, and I have the same issue as most, the chat box. I don't like having to open it up just to see chat messages, to be honest, most people I've chatted to don't respond because I doubt that you even realize someone has typed anything.

nateD
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I would love to have some small icons when perks are triggered (for example "Escape Artist", "Thick Skinned", "Feedback", "Failsafe", "Hyperactive" etc..) as well as the abilities from weapons (ie. "+% Speed boost for 5 seconds after full reload", etc..)

Turrock
10-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Hey guys,

What do you like? What do you hate? Feel free to include diagrams, drawings, suggestions, or just post some written feedback.

Thanks!

A lot of that I was thinking has already been covered, especially as far as changing the salvage matrix is concerned.

With regards to the load outs however, I heard there might be a possibility of having more than two weapons? This could be a viable option - but if one were to have a sniper rifle or explosive weapon as well as an assault rifle and say a melee weapon, then the number of perks would need to increase? If this isn't possible, then at least make it quicker to switch between load outs - ideally this should be done in one movement.

An earlier post suggested a button to apply all perks to more than one load out. This is a brilliant idea. Also, how about a button to clear a load out completely so one can start from scratch?

Or one could choose a template - depending on the play style, ie a healing fit, sniper fit, rocket launcher and detonator fit or assault fit. The template would then select the most effective perks for that particular weapon - of course one could add or remove perks from this template when they desired. If the perk wasn't available, it would still fill a slot and give the played something to aim for.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the updates.

Mercy Killing
10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I've played a lot of games over the years, and I have to say this game is the most frustrating, the most confusing and least fun game yet. It's not that it has to be. It's because they did so very many things wrong with the game.

Lets start with the inventory system:
It's a complete mess. There are very few meaningful ways to sort the weapons, and zero ways to mark things you want to get rid of. And the weapons? Well, there are a lot of them, but the percentage "advantages" you get from modding them are rarely worth the time and money -- even if you could figure out when to use certain mods and the mysteries of 'synergy'. And the way loadouts are handled? Seriously? In the middle of a battle you have to get into the load out screen (press 'L'-- as you're being shot or torn apart by something), click on the loadout you want (well, there went your shield), then return to the battle. Oh. Never mind. Hit 'E'... Hot keys are essential -- and completely left out of one of the most critical aspects of the game.

Shields:
You might as well be wearing a nice sun dress. The shields are just one step short of useless, and the recharge times are a not-funny joke. Seriously... 9 or even 6 seconds in a battle is an eternity. One that quickly kills you dead from enemy attack. Oh yeah, speaking of which...

Enemies:
It isn't just that some of them are vastly over-powered (can you say Volge at EVERY street corner?). Nope. IT'S THE FACT THAT THEY JUST KEEP APPEARING BEHIND YOU. Yup. You've killed a bunch of them, so new ones just respawn right behind you, circling you and shooting, all at once, from all sides. Of course, you can just run and jump and roll out of the way. Oh wait... you can't!

Movement:
This is the absolute, positive, WORST part of the game. And it's a game killer for me.

Your character, whether he's in a "vehicle" or on foot, might as well be standing still. No matter what you're trying to do, it's like you're a pregnant yak trying to wade through neck deep mud. You might as well just save yourself the trouble and frustration and stand still and let your shields... oh. Well, yeah, that won't work either.

The point here, is that movement is absolutely critical to survival, and you simply can't move fast enough. And the "cover", which is plentiful, is a not-so-funny joke -- you can't hide behind it because while you often can't shoot from cover, THEY can still hit YOU. One, maybe two shots, and your shields are gone -- then they respawn from behind and you're dead. So more often then not, your 'cover' simply pins you in place or blocks you path as you desperately try and get away from something -- all while moving at a speed a toddler could zip passed.

The vehicles are about the same. The way they steer (in reverse) is counter intuitive and the way they handle makes them all but useless. A 1960 Ford pickup with 4 flat tires handles better than anything in the game -- from those stupid bikes all the way up to the vaunted Chargers.

CAN people overcome these short comings? Yes. There are many who excel at this game. Does that make the game enjoyable to the rest of us? Um... that'd be no.

My advice to the devs? Take some pages out of Borderlands. Their UI is excellent, the shields useful and the vehicles fun to drive. And, for the love of all the gods, create a friggen' hot key system for the weapons!

On a positive note, I will say that Arc Falls are fun and I'll probably stick to them until some of these issues are addressed. This is mainly because there are so many targets, that the UI can't hammer a single person. Sure, you still die on occasion, but there is a much better chance of survival. The Vulge attacks (the sustained ones that are more like Arc falls) are also fun. The Volge roadblocks will often kill you several several times on your way to whatever encounter you want to get to, so I avoid those as best as I'm able.

I understand there are some changes coming to the game. I'll be interested to see what they are, because I'm not buying any 'bits' or upgrade packs until they prove they can make a playable game.

Hrm. I'm just not getting the same experience as you. From day one, I've loved the way the game /plays/. Movement, combat, aiming....it's fun. Not to say you're wrong or anything...I just don't get that when I play.

To move on to the subject matter:

Loadout hotkeys.

Chat from Rift. Or any other MMO out there. PLEASE.
Better inventory sorting.
Ability to mark inventory as favorite to avoid selling/salvaging without a prompt.
Ability to make multiple sales/salvages at once. Check off inventory items, click sell or salvage, get popup saying "You Sure?" click okay, done.

Other than that, I'm still having fun several months down the road.

anthonybull
10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi guys,
Just want to know what is happening to make the game more interesting as I notice the gamers are disappearing not playing. Most of my clan members are playing other games as they say they are waiting to see if and when the dlc is coming out.

I live in South Africa and am playing on the EU servers. Thinking of going to the "Yankee" side to see if that is more interesting.

Maybe you could make the map bigger!

anthonybull
10-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi guys,
Just want to know what is happening to make the game more interesting as I notice the gamers are disappearing not playing. Most of my clan members are playing other games as they say they are waiting to see if and when the dlc is coming out.

I live in South Africa and am playing on the EU servers. Thinking of going to the "Yankee" side to see if that is more interesting.

Maybe you could make the map bigger!
Oh yes I have a ps3

anthonybull
10-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I just did a quick read through of posts here, and I have the same issue as most, the chat box. I don't like having to open it up just to see chat messages, to be honest, most people I've chatted to don't respond because I doubt that you even realize someone has typed anything.
Get headphones they work very well

treber
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a large inventory. I scroll up and down quite a bit when I obtain new weapons comparing those new stats to what I have in inventory. I'd like to be able to compare all weapons of the same name to determine which ones I want keep/sell easily. It's very time consuming with large inventories. I spend a good portion of time searching to compare. Simply adding a two level index for example would be an improvement. I.e. SMG's->'all SMGs', BMG's -> BMG's , etc would help versus scrolling through the weapons list every time to get where I need to look. Ideally a option to make it easier to compare new weapon to the ones I have of the same name seems more direct though.

Jon Dogfight
10-09-2013, 03:26 AM
Here here! Stop trying to fix what we've already learned to deal with and start adding new content! You don't have long before literally no one is left to play your 3rd and 4th DLC, let alone a 2nd season.

Baldy
10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Hello, how about an option to filter your clan/friend pages to filter out those that are offline. When in a clan of 1k+ you can never see who all is online, and you can do this in almost every other mmo. Maybe on the clan page you could jump phases to other clan mates and not just friends. And I'm all for the other suggestions, locking loadouts, marking items no sell/delete. Anyway havin fun killin stuffs...

Baldamor Hammerfell
Freemason

Rifful
10-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I am totally new to Defiance, and FPS in general, however I am a long time MMO player and Rift player, so I am coming from a different background than many who play this game. Frankly, I found the interface to be a bit confusing, even though it was cool looking. The first problem was that the hotkeys weren't real obvious to me. They could stand to be more prominent.

The tutorial wasn't clear on how to equip stuff or change things, either in menu or in game. I muddled through, but I am still just fudging it. Some of you may be saying "duhhhh, newb!" right now, and you'd be right. But, that's the point. Defiance is trying to be an innovative game, but the conventions are unfamiliar to some people. So, clearer tutorial, or easier to recognize UI, or preferably both. Maybe a premade skin setup that you choose in the tutorial that caters to either MMO or FPS players.

The other thing is I am not comfortable with WASD. I usually use mouse movement, with a 4-button mouse (2 for strafe) and hotkeys for skills. Some games like GW2 can accommodate both console controllers and traditional MMO movement, but there were no settings that could change movement keys to mouse. Out of habit, I kept trying to use my trackball to strafe, and must've looked like a drunken fool.

Nice graphics, interesting story, though. I didn't have a chance to check out the deeper features, yet, because I was just trying to keep my head above water.

bearssi
10-27-2013, 08:09 AM
My feedback on the current UI is that apparently EGO users are blind when going through their weapons and stuff, at the very least we got background sounds while going through inventory.

edit: And the chat is useless. The usage of items would be a hassle with this UI, guess we cannot ever have a drink at the Crater. Found few problems with remapping keybinds if the key was already used for any menu.

karlj775
10-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi Guys.
First of all I would like to say I love the game, and all the hard work that go's into making it so great. I know theirs been the odd **** up, but hey we're human.
So second I would like it if you could customise your map, put places of interest, or some sort of mark/dot. I'm still pretty new at the whole MMO thing, and it takes ages to find certain places on the map. Like where the best place to get 99ers goldrushers or raiders with the rocket launchers.
Please don't shout cos you did ask

bearssi
10-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Hi Guys.
First of all I would like to say I love the game, and all the hard work that go's into making it so great. I know theirs been the odd **** up, but hey we're human.
So second I would like it if you could customise your map, put places of interest, or some sort of mark/dot. I'm still pretty new at the whole MMO thing, and it takes ages to find certain places on the map. Like where the best place to get 99ers goldrushers or raiders with the rocket launchers.
Please don't shout cos you did ask

There seems to be no group waypoint marking system and there is lots of information in the map missing. The map does need an improvement. I was the other day trying to figure where my friend wanted to go while he was a passenger in the car and he had to hop out of the car and drive ahead there with his own vehicle.

zazonion
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM

Inspections: When hovering over someone's layout information, allow the inspecting user to see the modifications and bonuses on gear.
Pretty much what he said. I will happily come back and deal with the crappy chat if I had more things to do.

WhiteCell
11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
wow, the UI hasn't been changed yet?

I almost feel bad for the people still playing this game.

Here is my feedback: A UI overhaul should have occurred less than 1 month after launch.

Ixio
11-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Nothing wrong with most of UI. It just needs a chat window that works. Would be nice to be able to talk to the other five people playing the game. :p

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:17 PM
...the common Dev reply...

Yes... even an uncommon dev reply would be nice.

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Nothing wrong with most of UI. It just needs a chat window that works. Would be nice to be able to talk to the other five people playing the game. :p

There are several UI bugs in this game, the chat system being only the most glaring. An unreliable quick menu, for starters. The UI feels a bit unfinished in a lot of places.

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I am totally new to Defiance, and FPS in general, however I am a long time MMO player and Rift player, so I am coming from a different background than many who play this game. Frankly, I found the interface to be a bit confusing, even though it was cool looking. The first problem was that the hotkeys weren't real obvious to me. They could stand to be more prominent.

The tutorial wasn't clear on how to equip stuff or change things, either in menu or in game. I muddled through, but I am still just fudging it. Some of you may be saying "duhhhh, newb!" right now, and you'd be right. But, that's the point. Defiance is trying to be an innovative game, but the conventions are unfamiliar to some people. So, clearer tutorial, or easier to recognize UI, or preferably both. Maybe a premade skin setup that you choose in the tutorial that caters to either MMO or FPS players.

The other thing is I am not comfortable with WASD. I usually use mouse movement, with a 4-button mouse (2 for strafe) and hotkeys for skills. Some games like GW2 can accommodate both console controllers and traditional MMO movement, but there were no settings that could change movement keys to mouse. Out of habit, I kept trying to use my trackball to strafe, and must've looked like a drunken fool.

Nice graphics, interesting story, though. I didn't have a chance to check out the deeper features, yet, because I was just trying to keep my head above water.

You make excellent points, and I concur. I am a long time FPS player. One thing, though: WASD is the only way to go in an FPS. You are far better off getting used to it that to use some kind of setup where you use the mouse for movement. This game is all about skill and reflexes.

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Here here! Stop trying to fix what we've already learned to deal with and start adding new content! You don't have long before literally no one is left to play your 3rd and 4th DLC, let alone a 2nd season.

There's no reason they can't also fix the bugs that have been around since day one. They are not hard things to fix.

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:28 PM
I would love to have some small icons when perks are triggered (for example "Escape Artist", "Thick Skinned", "Feedback", "Failsafe", "Hyperactive" etc..) as well as the abilities from weapons (ie. "+% Speed boost for 5 seconds after full reload", etc..)

That's a great suggestion! I would love to have that. Still... fix the damn bugs first, please... I mean at least the ones the devs have been ignoring since day one.

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I guess I could have a lot of gripes. One of my big ones is not having a dedicated chatbox on screen with you easily accessible in the times you want to get a word out or be social but have to STOP completely what you're doing and sit around with the chat open... I just think it can be done better..

In fact is has been done better-- by Trion-- in Rift.

Sinrise
11-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Take some pages out of Borderlands.

It seems they took quite a few pages from BL and BL2. It was the first thing I thought of when I started playing this game. Not a complaint. That game gets a lot right so of course devs are going to borrow. Some of the best games have been heavily influenced by previous games. Unfortunately, they took too little. A lot of the game mechanics and even mobs are quite similar. What's really odd is that beyond that, it's like they tried to reinvent the wheel. While playing BL2, I wished it was an MMO, because I think it lends itself to that extremely well. Then Defiance came out and it was pretty exciting because it really felt like that... until you really get into it. Trion has a great MMO that does so much right. Why would they start from scratch with the MMO elements of Defiance? Seems like an awfully big risk, considering the stakes.

Mess7739
11-15-2013, 07:51 PM
When BMG is equipped only show the health and shield status of players who need healing done to health and shield. BMG should not target players that have full health and full shield unless the BMG has a buff like reduce damage taken with the Protector BMG. I'm getting tired of wasting heal charge on players who don't need a heal because the weapon locked on to them instead of the player who does and is running for cover. The weapon should also lose its lock on the targeted player once they reach full health, shield and if the BMG user selects another player to target, unless with BMGs like Protector.

Please tone down the "Heal Aura" of BMGs, if a BMG is being used on a target player can that player instead glow slightly like when Overcharge is used, but instead of their arms have their heart or a small portion of their chest glow to indicate that they are being targeted by a BMG.

DanteYoda
11-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Please fix the Chat to something like Rift as it is now its killing my gameplay, and i only just joined..

Uriel Stormrider
11-22-2013, 02:22 PM
If there was ONE thing I'd like to see changed in the UI, that's the chat box. Coming from Trion who did a pretty good job with Rift, this is very disapointing. I mean, come on, it's not even usable. At least, having the option to resize it, make it always visible, set transparency... Anything that would make it a little bit like any chatbox is expected to be on any massively multiplayer game. Maybe people would actually use it, then. People are awfully silent in this game, and it's easy to understand why, considering how broken that thing is.

Altras
11-26-2013, 10:41 PM
How about hiring a team who knows what their doing? I love the game but these last few updates are simply frustrating.

Dar Katan
11-27-2013, 12:46 PM
From what I see of the DLC 2 interface changes I wish it went from this:

http://i.imgur.com/cxWQCpN.png

To something more easily manageable like this:

http://i.imgur.com/dzO67Tv.png

Agrona
12-02-2013, 10:38 AM
If there was ONE thing I'd like to see changed in the UI, that's the chat box. Coming from Trion who did a pretty good job with Rift, this is very disapointing. I mean, come on, it's not even usable. At least, having the option to resize it, make it always visible, set transparency... Anything that would make it a little bit like any chatbox is expected to be on any massively multiplayer game. Maybe people would actually use it, then. People are awfully silent in this game, and it's easy to understand why, considering how broken that thing is.

I totally agree with you. Rift's chat box is very customizable and I have several channel windows set up. I see OverloadUT and Dahanese post in these forums here, so to me that says that the Rift and the Defiance team is talking to each other. So, why can't they work together on creating a better chat experience?

Talk to the Rift Devs, I'm sure they'll share the code. :) Chat in Defiance was rather awkward to use at the beginning, so I really haven't touched it since I'm back. MMO's are games where we communicate with other gamers and where we meet new people. To present MMO gamers with a poorly designed chat is a huge issue. Hopefully, Trion is looking into this issue. :) They are usually pretty good about listening to their players.

Other than that, I really have no issues with the UI.

hahajake
12-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Customizable UI please! Also, get rid of that horrendous beeping that occurs when low on shields/health. That is just awful.