Von
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
In a few interviews and articals I've seen. They make mention of hearing events
in the tv show on your radio. So does this mean we will have a Three Dog like
character in the game. (If your wondering, Three Dog is a character who
broadcasts music in Fallout 3 and you eventualy meet him.) Think there will be
a radio station broadcasting news, events, and maybe even where to find new
missions from in the game?

I guess that would also work in giving background music while your driving around
the world of Defiance. Think like Grand Theft Auto. I know I keep bringing that up.

Kalbuir
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
If it would be like for example GTA, that would be amazing especially if it isnt only music but news, weather reports and heck talk shows! ;). But I remember getting pretty bored of the radio's in GTA pretty fast because of the limited amount of sounds in there, for it to work in an MMO you'd need almost a real radio crew doing it on a weekly basis.

Actually might be a cool idea for a fan project though, in character of course. Being int he game would be better of course but I doubt it. Makes more sense that there are some radio's in the game that play certain messages after certain TV show episodes have aired for example.

Arkamenitas
07-22-2012, 12:42 PM
that could be pretty interesting

Jenbuu
07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
being a sandbox game you could always get independent online radio stations doing things, look at eve radio and what they did with eve,

Akraelios
07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Yeh i think the radio idea is amzing , and if they could implement so you could upload whatever music you want and play it via your personal vehicles in-game radio then that could also be very cool :)

Adsinonimous
07-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeh i think the radio idea is amzing , and if they could implement so you could upload whatever music you want and play it via your personal vehicles in-game radio then that could also be very cool :)

I think that happened in APB. You were able to upload music into the radio and play music directly from your itunes (other media players are available) playlist.

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
trion shouldnt invest too much into the music portion of this game, i will probably listen to the game music for about 10 mins, get bored and then go back to listening to internet radio while i play; but they probably wilol anyways :P

Kalbuir
08-01-2012, 04:55 AM
trion shouldnt invest too much into the music portion of this game, i will probably listen to the game music for about 10 mins, get bored and then go back to listening to internet radio while i play; but they probably wilol anyways :P

I partially agree with you, there have been many games where I turned off music in a few months times because I heard it all BUT there certainly are games where music keep adding additional depth and atmosphere to the online world. A prime example that is coming out soon is GW2. They invested a lot of resources in their music and sound and some top notch music producers have been working on it. (big names from gaming industry Jeremy Soule from games like Buldars Gate to Elder Scrols and the 40K RTS series.)

I don't think I will turn off my music anytime soon in guild wars simply because there is so much music and there is a whole bunch of triggered music as well when specific things happen (at the end of puzzles etc). If as much attention to detail is put in a game for music then its almost a shame to not listen to it.

Beck
12-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi, let me introduce ourselves. K-TAM Radio. We have been in existence for Defiance since before Launch. We do have in character content for Definace, mostly commercials, we have also started to cover some other games because the Community of Defiance has shrunk a lot since launch and we need the numbers to survive. Check us out, info in my signature. We also do Interviews with Defiance Staff. We have Trick on Wednesday and working on having Greg on soon as well.

maxx traxxas
12-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Do you guy/gals remember in the show where the radio station was in the big white ark. Why can't the game have the same thing.

Escyos
12-01-2013, 03:54 PM
The problem is that you have to have rights to the music if your providing it in a product that has to be paid for, such as Defiance.

Many internet radio stations can get away with it pretty easy, as its not enforced a great deal, but an official station such as your proposing would need legal aid, tonnes of money and tonnes of time.

You also have to take canon into consideration. The Bay Area is a RURAL area. Weston Marx obviously likes being there and so thats where his radio program is put out, but we have no idea if anyone in the universe would be interested in the ramblings of someone they never met. There is no logical reason that an area with so few people, such little traffic and so many dangers would put resources to having a radio station.

I just don't see it happening.

Beck
12-02-2013, 06:30 AM
The problem is that you have to have rights to the music if your providing it in a product that has to be paid for, such as Defiance.

Many internet radio stations can get away with it pretty easy, as its not enforced a great deal, but an official station such as your proposing would need legal aid, tonnes of money and tonnes of time.

You also have to take canon into consideration. The Bay Area is a RURAL area. Weston Marx obviously likes being there and so thats where his radio program is put out, but we have no idea if anyone in the universe would be interested in the ramblings of someone they never met. There is no logical reason that an area with so few people, such little traffic and so many dangers would put resources to having a radio station.

I just don't see it happening.

For running an information Wiki it is amazing you get so much wrong, canon wise. The Bay area has a similar population to that of defiance. That's quite a few people. The radio towers are already being currently used by capt. Grant for communication for hailers. The infrastructure already exists for a radio station with K-TAM (in game) which is why K-TAM (Fan run radio) was created, it made reasonable sense to do so in canon.

With Infested and Volge it would make sense to have some form of a radio station to give the residence updates of volge attacks to warn residence to stay away and maybe encourage the braver/dummer Ark Hunters and other residence to try and fight them off. Also be useful to warn people about Razor Rain and other weather events. This is based on Canon.

In the game we play, yes the population is only a couple hundred people and that is being generous. We don't get weather effects and there is not ryme or reason for the volge or infested as events. It would make more sense to have the Volge do a road march from off the map into the Bay Area to a target. In the actual game we play a radio is pointless. Not to mention Weston Marx has been captured and there is an indo-clone running around posing as him. Which is why we have Karl Savant, another member of the Frontier Truth spreading the good word. Currently off with Sam Skatch, Local radio host to save me from an E-Rep torture center in Reno. Because they think I know something about an Ark Brain, aka, our station A.I. Dmentia.

You are right as far as licensing, it is costly and is based on number of listeners and other factors. In a game it would be a general stream so they would have to pay a higher fee because it would be based on Server Max. For example, real radio stations pay in the thousands in licensing fees for smaller centers. Trion wants us to believe they have hundreds of thousands of people playing this game. I wouldn't be surprised if the real number was 10 thousand total over 3 systems. But if they are right that is a lot of extra money.

Now spoken word doesn't require any licensing for online radio as long as you don't use licensed music. Do we want 24/7 talk radio? What's the loop? How many hosts? It could be done, but it wouldn't take long to get repetitive unless they put in resources to update it and all that, which likely cost almost as much as 1 Host and licensing for music. The next issue is what music do you play? We play Rock for the most part, following canon, but we also mix in other stuff because our listeners want more than just rock and it is hard to find a balance because our listeners change from time to time as more people find us and tune in. People don't complain to much about what we play because we are fan run. But look at these forums now and what that could look like with a radio run by Trion.