PDA

View Full Version : Name loss because of unannounced launch

NelTu
04-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Anybody else a teeny bit upset they lost their names because of the unannounced early launch? (Including those who just found out right now you've most likely lost your name by reading this topic). I've been following the game's launch window since it was first announced as the original 8AM schedule up to sledge's 12Am schedule. I was wondering if anyone else was a bit upset by this. Maybe we should also put up a system where we list our names so if anyone has a name someone else wanted, they could consider a trade or donation or something.

Note: Anyone who wants to contribute by saying it's just a name, please do, but if you do give your opinion as to why.

Smauzt
04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Luckily there is no "first to reach this level" achievement, then I would be pissed off.

I feel you man, this is the second MMO launch they've done this :)

Regards, Smauzt

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I am a little upset by it, but I plan for this with any MMO launch with multiple names. If all of them are taken then I'll be sad. I wonder if we'll see any xx_Sephiroth_xx's lol.

Natjur
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Plus there is a small change, those on-line to test the servers BEFORE the launch will get reset and therefore you have a change still to get your name at the REAL launch time

Quirky
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I was about to head off to bed to get some sleep pre-launch, looked at the forums and saw some guy was playing on the US servers so I figured I'd stick about, was there just as they came up but if I hadn't been on the Forums I wouldn't have known. Does suck for those who were not around to take advantage of the early start.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Plus there is a small change, those on-line to test the servers BEFORE the launch will get reset and therefore you have a change still to get your name at the REAL launch time

Did they officially say they were wiping pre-launch? From what I've seen they were not going to wipe.

NelTu
04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
As I said, I welcome any "suck it up" comments. I just felt like the unannounced launch made a lot of people upset (though some happy as well). :)

Pizza
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Nah, I'm a unique snowflake nobody can impersonate me.

Natjur
So who will be the most upset.
(1) Those who connect at the correct launch time (5 hrs from now) and there name is already gone by someone who was allowed to connect early to load test the servers.

(2) Those who load tested the server and thought their name was safe only to find they get reset in 5 hrs time and have to remake their toon.

Quirky
Did they officially say they were wiping pre-launch? From what I've seen they were not going to wipe.

There was a post from a Skype Convo before the EU servers were up and they said they'd be bringing the EU servers up before 12:01am EST - to me that would sound like it was an early launch.

NelTu

LOL Pizza you devil. See you in game eventually.

StormShadow
04-01-2013, 07:53 PM
from what I have seen this evening there isn't any planned wipe but it might happen.

Quirky
04-01-2013, 07:53 PM

I hope you have a friend who uses the name Delivery!

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Well from my vast experience in MMO launches, I fully expect all hell to break loose. At least one server has to catch on fire.

NelTu
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
If you guys really want that wipe (with only an hour left for that possibility), I suggest you all voice your concerns. Now seriously, where are those naysayers?

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 07:57 PM
If you guys really want that wipe (with only an hour left for that possibility), I suggest you all voice your concerns. Now seriously, where are those naysayers?

Seeing as I have to work early in the morning, I'm not going to be popping on anytime soon. I think a wipe right before the official launch would be fair, but also the starting area is going to be so loaded down with people....

NelTu
04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I did find an alternative name (one that I will have to wait for the third race to come out to use), but a wipe would still be appreciated, especially for some of those poor guys. Prove to us you listen to the common folk Trion.

Pain
04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I think there needs to be a wipe before OFFICIAL launch.

NelTu
04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I think there needs to be a wipe before OFFICIAL launch.

Only an hour left man, time to start looking for alternatives. Best of luck to everyone, and it's a shame this had to turn out this way.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Only an hour left man, time to start looking for alternatives. Best of luck to everyone, and it's a shame this had to turn out this way.

They could easily wipe the servers 2 minutes before launching.

Blackwolfe
04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
If there is a wipe before official launch Im gonna be pissed off. Didnt fall asleep until 2am, Woke up at 3am for some reason and couldnt get back to sleep. Checked the forums and saw someone saying the eu servers were up. Had planned to get up around 7-8am to claim my char names.. now I cant go back to sleep in fear of losing the ones I've picked out..

The EU server best come up soon so I can get my names.. grr..

Quirky
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?13032-A-Q-amp-A-on-why-your-servers-might-or-might-not-be-up-right-now

Pretty much sums up things I'd say.

StormShadow
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
yeah a sneak launch when most are at work isn't good.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
xx_blackwolfeone_xx :D

Lickintoad
04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Are you sure character names are unique? When you make your first character, you have to choose a handle. Whenever you're invited to a group, they use that handle to do it. The character's name is different. It seems almost like a Cryptic game to me.

I've not tested this out, but it seems the likely case. There's no reason to make character names unique across the server when everything's done by a handle.

NelTu
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
^Yes they are unique.

Cheer up guys, maybe ya'll think of an even better name. Make sure that next MMO (maybe ArcheAge) you all keep an open eye out.

Blackwolfe
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, I was planning on a handle, hope its not taken. And no I wont use something silly like xx_blackwolfeone_xx, lol. I'd rather shoot myself in the foot ;)

Question is, are they unique for both NA and EU, I did grab my handle on NA side when I checked the game since the eu servers are down. One can only hope that its unique across all the world.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Well, I was planning on a handle, hope its not taken. And no I wont use something silly like xx_blackwolfeone_xx, lol. I'd rather shoot myself in the foot ;)

What's the purpose of character names if people only see your handle anyway? lol

NelTu
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
They don't only see your handle, it's an option you have to check to make the handle even appear. Like most MMO's, the char name is the display name.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. I didn't know if something had changed since beta.

Ichidakiller
04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Kinda knew that post your name here post was going to backfire people are not that creative they see something they like they are going to try to steal it if they can.
But then again if your name isn't original what loss is it really you and the other 50 guys with similar names can spend the next 3 months arguing who had the idea first.
I would rather stand out then blend in.
Just be grateful that this isn't a few years ago.
25 Chuck Norris variations
50 Rick James variations
And 100 13375@uc€ or some other variation of leet in leet speak....dumbest fad ever.

Gohlar
04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
If you are really that worried about a name buy digital and be ready obviously.

NelTu
Kinda knew that post your name here post was going to backfire people are not that creative they see something they like they are going to try to steal it if they can.
But then again if your name isn't original what loss is it really you and the other 50 guys with similar names can spend the next 3 months arguing who had the idea first.
I would rather stand out then blend in.
Just be grateful that this isn't a few years ago.
25 Chuck Norris variations
50 Rick James variations
And 100 13375@uc€ or some other variation of leet in leet speak....dumbest fad ever.

Chuck Norris xD.

NelTu

................methinks someone should tell this guy what happened.

Pain
04-01-2013, 08:18 PM

What is it with you people?

NOT EVERYONE CAN/WANTS TO BUY DIGITAL. Geez..

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Chuck Norris xD.

[ROUNDHOUSE]Chuck_Richie_Norris

NelTu

Well not that, they ended up releasing early so digital people lost out anyway.

Blackwolfe

What is this? Middle of the night in EU and there was an early launch? Why I never...

I only found out because I woke up really early and couldnt go back to sleep.

Gohlar
04-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Well then you don't want to play early. Simple.

Ichidakiller
04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
What is this? Middle of the night in EU and there was an early launch? Why I never...

I only found out because I woke up really early and couldnt go back to sleep.

lol love your sig man PIPER IN THEY LIVE AWESOME MOVIE. Btw you know that was actually a line from piper he had a notebook of stuff written down for stuff to use during promos and pipers pit. He let John Carpenter look through it told him to ad lib a few lines from it. He also choreographed the whole fight seen in the alley.

Sorry to hijack the thread back on topic.

just think those who lost their names this give you the chance to think of something better.

NelTu
04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Gohlar my good man, let me explain to you the problem that arose with preloading. The people who preloaded were told that the game launches 9:00PM PST, and then the game launched early anyways. So even those who preloaded the game were affected by this, not just people who bought physical copies. I hope this clears things up for you. :D

Pain
04-01-2013, 08:29 PM

You're obviously clueless. A digital copy doesn't guarantee you early access.

fishboy11
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
i'm lucky, i never care about names, i just keep making up new ones till i find one that isnt taken, it can be annoying at times tho, took 10 mins to find a decent one in TSW so many were taken it was insane

Gohlar
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
You're obviously clueless. A digital copy doesn't guarantee you early access.

Only if the buyer is clueless. I'm not clueless at all, which is why I can play. :)

The game is kind of broken though so it's not all good. Chat is all screwed up as was the arcfall.

Gohlar my good man, let me explain to you the problem that arose with preloading. The people who preloaded were told that the game launches 9:00PM PST, and then the game launched early anyways. So even those who preloaded the game were affected by this, not just people who bought physical copies. I hope this clears things up for you. :D

I understand. Playing early is a lot better than not letting anyone play over something this trivial though. No comparison imo.

ANMDark
So there is debate as to when the servers will go live, some say midnight other say what on the front page. They also didn't say they were going to wipe the "soft launch" characters.

Just wait and see. If it make you feel any better OP I was on this morning and still didn't get the name I wanted.

Blackwolfe
lol love your sig man PIPER IN THEY LIVE AWESOME MOVIE. Btw you know that was actually a line from piper he had a notebook of stuff written down for stuff to use during promos and pipers pit. He let John Carpenter look through it told him to ad lib a few lines from it. He also choreographed the whole fight seen in the alley.

Sorry to hijack the thread back on topic.

just think those who lost their names this give you the chance to think of something better.

Gotten to know a bunch of people in beta/alpha using the same handle, it would suck if I was to lose that, but anyway..

I only knew the whole kick *** and chew bubblegum quote because of Duke Nukem :P Although Ive seen They Live but dont remember a squat from it :P

ANMDark
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Oddly enough on typing that I got back into the game

NelTu
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
So there is debate as to when the servers will go live, some say midnight other say what on the front page. They also didn't say they were going to wipe the "soft launch" characters.

Just wait and see. If it make you feel any better OP I was on this morning and still didn't get the name I wanted.
:< -hug-
I know, I know.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Gotten to know a bunch of people in beta/alpha using the same handle, it would suck if I was to lose that, but anyway..

I only knew the whole kick *** and chew bubblegum quote because of Duke Nukem :P Although Ive seen They Live but dont remember a squat from it :P

I was going to say that's both Duke Nukem and Evil Dead. Hail to the king, baby!

Pain
04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Only if the buyer is clueless. I'm not clueless at all, which is why I can play. :)

You sure are arrogant.

Gohlar
04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
You sure are arrogant.

You're just mad because you messed up and instead of taking responsibility you are whining about it. Get over it. If it makes you feel better to toss around insults go nuts. Don't get mad at me because I'm right.

Then again I saw you saying you hoped all progress will be reset so you can have a name. That says a lot about you imo.

Blackwolfe
Aaaaaaaaaanyway.. eu servers seem to be up now and was able to grab Blackwolfe as my handle *overjoyed*

Zioralsa
Aaaaaaaaaanyway.. eu servers seem to be up now and was able to grab Blackwolfe as my handle *overjoyed*

Does that handle carry over to the US server?

Valethar
04-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Not true, unless that was you I saw at Papa John's earlier today.

GrayGhost79
04-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Anybody else a teeny bit upset they lost their names because of the unannounced early launch? (Including those who just found out right now you've most likely lost your name by reading this topic). I've been following the game's launch window since it was first announced as the original 8AM schedule up to sledge's 12Am schedule. I was wondering if anyone else was a bit upset by this. Maybe we should also put up a system where we list our names so if anyone has a name someone else wanted, they could consider a trade or donation or something.

Note: Anyone who wants to contribute by saying it's just a name, please do, but if you do give your opinion as to why.

Why would you be upset? It happens in MMOs. You don't always get your first choice in names. When you prefer to play games with thousand to millions of others you kind of have to kind of accept that its a possibility.

In any case, it doesn't matter when launch is someone is going to feel screwed due to the timing. If it launched at 8am then a different batch of people would have been upset, if it had launched at 12am then yet another batch would have been upset. Those keeping tabs on the game and such ended up getting the jump, that happens a lot. In the end I don't see a reason to be upset. You should have had back up names if this isn't your first MMO.

JustAHermit
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
I am also upset by this but so is the cycle... At least it launched early and I was home. I didn't get my name I wanted (Alexander) but whateverrr, someone had to have.

Maximus Prime
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
All four names reserved on both servers...

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/02/dance.gif

I can go sleep now.

Blackwolfe
04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Does that handle carry over to the US server?

No, I had already created one on the US server, but I had to make a new one on the EU side so its region separate.

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Are you going to play US or EU?

Blackwolfe
04-01-2013, 08:46 PM
EU, and its 5:46 am here.. so Im gonna go to sleep now..

Zioralsa
04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Ah, I was looking to build up a list of cool people from the forum to add to friends. :<

Zyvaks
04-01-2013, 08:56 PM
How to get trion to reset everything:

remember all those very annoying "i got my toy early I WANT TO PLAY WITH IT" threads?
well, after enough whining and crying trion finally gave them what they wanted.

so all we have to do is become 5 years old again and let nature take its course :p

NelTu
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
How to get trion to reset everything:

remember all those very annoying "i got my toy early I WANT TO PLAY WITH IT" threads?
well, after enough whining and crying trion finally gave them what they wanted.

so all we have to do is become 5 years old again and let nature take its course :p

Oh mah lawd this guy. xD

DARkHARMONy
04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I was rather ticked that I wasn't fast enough to create my launch character due to having ordered a real copy of the UE. After I typed in my character name it seemed to go through. But just before the "are you sure, etc" popped up, it said name already in use. I face-palmed a few times and just said oh well... I could have bought an additional digital copy to have first dibs, but not everyone has the money to throw around. I've been using the character name for ages, and also used it for every Alpha/Beta phase. Last night it was on my mind while playing and was wondering who beat me to the punch, so I went to social and put out a search for my lost character name. Well I tried every combo I could imagine and every time ended up with no results. I know when searching for another player this way always works, whether they are logged in or have not been logged in since the time of the character's creation. So, I'm wondering if my name wasn't taken by another player, but if it had something to do with me still having my main characters on both Alpha and Beta, with my name. I would love to find out what other reason there could be for my wanted name being "in use".