PDA

View Full Version : Hellbug mount rift promo - do not buy another copy if you already own defiance.

Arsenic_Touch
09-07-2013, 01:53 AM
http://www.riftgame.com/en/defiance/

If you were thinking about purchasing another copy of defiance to get the hellbug mount and gun transmog for Rift. Don't. Not yet at least.

We were informed on the live stream that you can add the code to your account if you already own defiance, well I found out on the Rift forum that this is not the case and people cannot redeem the code if they already own the game.

So I thought I'd let our defiance players know if they decided to take part in this promotion. I almost did, glad I waited.

Sanguinesun
09-07-2013, 05:03 AM

If you were thinking about purchasing another copy of defiance to get the hellbug mount and gun transmog for Rift. Don't. Not yet at least.

We were informed on the live stream that you can add the code to your account if you already own defiance, well I found out on the Rift forum that this is not the case and people cannot redeem the code if they already own the game.

So I thought I'd let our defiance players know if they decided to take part in this promotion. I almost did, glad I waited.

Always with Trion, wait a while.... a loooong while before jumping on to anything that seems exciting. Impulse buying is a no no.

N3gativeCr33p
09-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Always with Trion, wait a while.... a loooong while before jumping on to anything that seems exciting. Impulse buying is a no no.

Well said, kind sir! (Or madam.)

hardy83
09-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I was totally willing to drop $10 for a PC retail of the game for the mount and $5 in in-game currency, but now I'm not going to drop a cent.

Their loss.

To note. I'm not upset at all that they do promos like this. They need to keep doing stuff like this to acquire more customers, but in promos like this, they really should let current players be able to do it too.

Billy Guile
09-07-2013, 09:09 AM
wait, so they're crossing over stuff from each game? one that has zero to do with another? the difference between Rift and Rifts, is that one is a defined universe, and the other is the hodgepodge of everything.

Rasczak
09-07-2013, 10:48 AM

That's because as is typical, and as Arsenic has pointed out, the left hand in this company apparently has no idea what the right hand is doing.

3rdpig
09-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Being a capitalist at heart, I'm all for a company promoting itself and making a healthy profit by selling a quality product or service.

Being a smart business owner, I also understand that a successful company returns value for consumer dollars, invests in good customer support and keeps their customers well being in mind.

Being a smart consumer, I only invest my money into companies that show both of the above qualities.

Rasczak
09-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Being a capitalist at heart, I'm all for a company promoting itself and making a healthy profit by selling a quality product or service.

Being a smart business owner, I also understand that a successful company returns value for consumer dollars, invests in good customer support and keeps their customers well being in mind.

Being a smart consumer, I only invest my money into companies that show both of the above qualities.

Very well said, good sir or madam!

Indra Echo
09-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Yes the big thing that companies often fail at is that they take current customers for granted. The thing they'd do well to remember, especially in gaming, is that fan comes from fanatic. If someone likes the product you made and you form a good relationship with them, they will buy more from you. A current happier customer can cost you less money and bring in more revenue than endless pandering to that big unknown, a new customer.

In gaming, this seems to be a real problem unless games are formulaic and don't break new ground-but gamers are getting kind of aware in some respects. We just are pretty bad consumers.

And many game companies have been all to happy to go after those that cause the least upset--but the demographics of gaming are changing. Gamers are older, more varied, less patient, and even somewhat more selective with their money. Gaming companies really have to pay attention and cultivate that captive audience-give fans quality games that they can feel are good values, smart games, and appeal to emotions well, and you'll have a fan for life who will buy whatever you're selling.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
09-07-2013, 11:41 AM

I noticed that you've not said if you've invested any into Trion. :p (No, buying the game doesn't count)

MacDeath
09-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I noticed that you've not said if you've invested any into Trion. :p (No, buying the game doesn't count)
It isn't easy to invest in Trion until it becomes a public company. Up to now they've looked for a few DragonWhale investors, like the Ontario Teachers retirement fund that put in ~ $85M.

I haven't invested any money in Trion but I have invested a lot of time. I was so excited about the concepts of what Trion was trying to do that I came out of retirement to help launch Rift.

A s0t
09-07-2013, 12:08 PM

are you hiring?

hardy83
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Up to now they've looked for a few DragonWhale investors, like the Ontario Teachers retirement fund that put in ~ $85M.

LOL WHAT!? My gf is an Ontario teacher and I didn't know that. That's hilarious. I need to tell her.

MacDeath
09-07-2013, 01:04 PM
LOL WHAT!? My gf is an Ontario teacher and I didn't know that. That's hilarious. I need to tell her.
It was back in January 2012. Read more here: http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/20/trion-grabs-85-million-to-bring-new-life-to-the-deep-end-of-online-gaming/

Zergor
09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Edit: Nevermind. The promo codes seam to have applied to my rift account automatically when I logged into rift. So I'm guessing they will appear in 24 hours. Sorry!

Disregard previous post:
So am I missing something here? why are current customers who have both not being back filled on this promo? This discourages people from giving your game a try when it was $59, now its $10 and you get bonus items for another game? WOW. I feel bent over.

Spiltmilk
09-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Completely agree with this sentiment. Especially with everything we have seen so far, I'm just waiting till the storm blows over, whenever that will be.

Arsenic_Touch
09-07-2013, 08:16 PM
K, according to a GM. It shouldn't hinder you getting the items if you already have defiance on your account, however there are still reports from players that were unable to add the code to their account.

Lolwat
09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I contacted live chat, and they told me, that even though I bought it and linked it to my rift account, only people purchasing new copies qualify for the bonus. Like seriously? We've put up with this excuse for service, paying full price for the game, these excuses for updates, this joke of a DLC, and of course we get zero bonuses. And now people paying $10 for a game we paid $60(or more) for get bonuses that we don't Nobody is actually going to buy this game to play it, they've seen the reviews, they know better.

(played at launch, don't use forums.)

Celke
09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I stopped playing RIFT the day it went F2P so I don't care too much anymore :)

dahanese
09-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Okay - I think there's some confusion here and I'm sorry about that.

If you are talking about PC, this should not be the case. Grab a second copy, add it, you should get your loot.

If you are getting a second copy on console, things are a bit more confusing. There's a first party restriction on applying a code for the same thing twice, so you'll have to write CS and give them your code and a picture of your receipt and then we can award you the goodies.

Valentine
09-10-2013, 04:49 PM

If you are talking about PC, this should not be the case. Grab a second copy, add it, you should get your loot.

If you are getting a second copy on console, things are a bit more confusing. There's a first party restriction on applying a code for the same thing twice, so you'll have to write CS and give them your code and a picture of your receipt and then we can award you the goodies.

I'd love to get another copy for a friend but how would this work? I'd have to use the code to get the stuff from rift =(

Ashlocke
10-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Can someone please clarify this for me?

I purchased Defiance when it came out, NOT through steam, I simply have the stand alone *PC* version of the game.
Recently, as in last week. I decided to try Rift for the very first time. Since I already had an existing account with Trion, after downloading the Rift installer and letting it do it's thing, I didn't need to set anything up. All I do to log into Rift is use the same info as I do when I log into Defiance.

Today, while playing Rift someone mentioned in global chat that if you owned Defiance that you could get some goodies in Rift.

After a quick search, I found this thread.

So basically, I would just like to know if me having Defiance qualifies me for getting those extra goodies in Rift?

For the record, I do not intend on purchasing ANOTHER copy of Defiance. If having my original copy will suffice, that's great, if not, then at least I will have my answer... and Trion will have lowered the morale of this customer a tad.

Thank you for any clarifications that you can provide.

Arsenic_Touch
10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
It only applies to newly purchased copies.

Ashlocke
10-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Ah, bummer. Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I haven't logged into Defiance in several weeks. When I heard about this offer I thought, gee, maybe I can squeeze some tiny extra value out of my Defiance purchase. :)

crasher
10-23-2013, 05:11 PM
It only applies to newly purchased copies.
And apparently only hard copies.
Downloading from Amazon/Steam/etc doesn't count.

Whippersnapper
10-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Whoa Whoa! Wait a minute! You are saying there really IS a hellbug mount? I thought it was just a pipe dream of mine along with stat boosting vehicles and outfits....

This seems to be an old post from early September too. I came back and have yet to see someone on a hellbug mount. So is this for real?

Bonehead
10-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Whoa Whoa! Wait a minute! You are saying there really IS a hellbug mount? I thought it was just a pipe dream of mine along with stat boosting vehicles and outfits....

This seems to be an old post from early September too. I came back and have yet to see someone on a hellbug mount. So is this for real?

It's for real in Rift.
If you buy a new hard copy of Defiance,you get cool defiance stuff to use in Rift.
No hellbug mounts in defiance.

Whippersnapper
10-23-2013, 05:35 PM
That just blows.

On the other hand, unless the engines are different, it shows that these things can be implemented in Defiance. Which means they will. Eventually....

crasher
10-23-2013, 06:04 PM
That just blows.

On the other hand, unless the engines are different, it shows that these things can be implemented in Defiance. Which means they will. Eventually....
Hellbug mounts, sure, other stuff, too.
Watch the recorded LiveStreams.

But they said all along that they can NOT get horses to work in Defi. I wouldn't hold my breath for cross pollination as far as that goes.

OTOH, having worked with horses for a fair number of years, fire-breathing hellbugs and mutants/99r's shooting electro-weapons isn't an environment I'd want to bring a horse into, much less try to fight from atop.

Bonehead
10-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Hellbug mounts, sure, other stuff, too.
Watch the recorded LiveStreams.

But they said all along that they can NOT get horses to work in Defi. I wouldn't hold my breath for cross pollination as far as that goes.

OTOH, having worked with horses for a fair number of years, fire-breathing hellbugs and mutants/99r's shooting electro-weapons isn't an environment I'd want to bring a horse into, much less try to fight from atop.

Even with horse armour?

Atticus Batman
10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Even with horse armour?

You sir are funny and barding like from Oblivion would suck as bad if not worse than our generic 15-20$ store outfits! It would probably be put in a newly made mod slot just for that creature and there's another new worthless color mod added to the store, for WAAAAAAAAAAY to much!!!

Deunan
10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
LOL WHAT!? My gf is an Ontario teacher and I didn't know that. That's hilarious. I need to tell her.The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan didn't invest ~ $85 million in venture financing in Trion. It was one of two institutional investors in that round. The other was prior investor Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments. The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan is the largest single-profession pension plan in Canada. Even if it did invest $85 million in Trion it literally has over a thousand times that much in net assets. It's less than a tenth of a percent of its portfolio. The last round that I know of that Trion did was for $5.12 million back in April by Trinity Ventures.

Even if you wanted to invest in the company, unless you have 7 figures to drop into the company as an accredited investor under SEC regs it would never happen.

Valethar
02-03-2014, 01:44 AM

Would it be at all possible for you to have a word with the staff involved in this promotion about the alleged end date, and people not being given credit for buying new copies of Defiance in order to obtain the mount?

There is nothing, anywhere, that states the end date of the promotion. Nothing on the original promotion page, nothing on the blog that I can find, nothing on the forums here or on the Rift boards. Nothing at all I could locate even with a Google search.

The text of the original offer implies that the promotion will run until the supply of boxed copies is exhausted, it does not specify an end date or date range for the promotion. Given that Trion was vague on the details and didn't communicate clearly when the promotion was going to end (one GM told me it had ended on 1/10/14, yet I can find any evidence anywhere that this was announced officially) would it really be all that difficult for Trion to make good on those purchases, and then officially announce the end of the promotion so that no one else runs into any issues with this?

People have spent money on this in good faith since there was nothing said about the promotion being over, and are now being told by the GM's that they're screwed. Is that really how customers should be treated?

(Sorry for the Necro, PM'd Elizabeth on this one after I noticed the date.. Please close this one out Mods...)

DanteYoda
02-03-2014, 03:04 AM

I bought a Steam copy and my Account got the hellbug mount and gun, no idea why others haven't, funny thing is i rarely touch rift too...

Smogg
02-03-2014, 03:12 AM
It isn't easy to invest in Trion until it becomes a public company. Up to now they've looked for a few DragonWhale investors, like the Ontario Teachers retirement fund that put in ~ $85M.

I haven't invested any money in Trion but I have invested a lot of time. I was so excited about the concepts of what Trion was trying to do that I came out of retirement to help launch Rift.

so glad you came out of retirement to get rift on it's feet,otherwise all would have been for naught.