PDA

View Full Version : Are you willing to be a volunteer forum mod for these official Defiance forums?

MacDeath
09-08-2013, 02:36 AM
First, lets assume that volunteer mods had very limited powers. They could move spam threads from Discussion forums to a holding area where they would later be viewed by an 'official mod'. The official mod could decide to delete the thread or restore it to the original forum. This would be a useful addition to keeping spam threads from cluttering the forums.

Volunteer mods would NOT have the ability to delete threads or posts. They would NOT have the ability to ban accounts.

If such a program existed would YOU be a candidate? I would be willing.

Any other ideas for such a program?

Arsenic_Touch
09-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Won't ever happen. I'd volunteer since I already mod other forums with more members.

Frozen
09-08-2013, 02:55 AM
I don't see the need for a Volunteer Moderator if all they can do is move Threads to a "review" box. Creating a filter to do that which requires a thread to be flagged as Spam/Abuse 10 times (20+,w/e) would do it for us, no volunteers needed.

Of course that would require 10+ of us "volunteering" our time to view (obviously) spam threads just to flag them...

Maybe better would be to restrict new accounts from creating new threads until their post count is 10? If bots start posting spam inside existing threads we can flag them for abuse that way to shut them down.

rockygreen11
09-08-2013, 03:07 AM
There is a need for 3 focused voices on this board. PC , XBOX , and ps3. I suggested in the last livestream that we appoint an envoy if you will for each platform. This would allow a reasonable amount of feedback to be passed on weekly with action items that are focused and constructive. The problem we all face is when we have a problem, we are in our home and feel the need to vent about our distress. While being theriputic, most of our thoughts are not conveyed in a manner that optimizes this forum. If you look at the current content we are imputing, it is becoming more and more negative. This includes some of the most loyal and reasonable members becoming irritable. We are loosing valuable members of our community to frustration. If we take the bull by the horns and outline the state of defiance on each platform and constructivly set an agenda for improvement, things will get fixed. What gets worked on gets fixed. This is altruism. Even if it seams like the list is insurmountable. It's not. Tell me if I'm being unreasonable. But I think that bottom line is this game has brought us here... Let's. Be here then... I'm game, this is supposed to be fun. Smile!

Edit: moderator to me is more than a post hawk. I would agree that there is a need to filter spam and unrelated material, but the idea I'm suggesting is compiling credible issues and presenting them to the trion team for improvement of the game. Thanks for not being silly with the responces,

Dave Blackwell
09-08-2013, 03:08 AM
Maybe better would be to restrict new accounts from creating new threads until their post count is 10? If bots start posting spam inside existing threads we can flag them for abuse that way to shut them down.

CAPTCHA; problem solved - no need for users to moderate.

Chump Norris
09-08-2013, 03:27 AM
The spam bots really bother people that much?

JxSiN
09-08-2013, 03:29 AM
I would volunteer. Heck, I am already on these forums pretty much all day.

A s0t
09-08-2013, 03:31 AM
The spam bots really bother people that much?yeah when their is 9 spam bots on the page and you click on report post and an hour passes and the spam is still there....

rockygreen11
Jxsin, You are perfect for ps3 envoy, yes
Arsenic touch is perfect for Pc
Xbox candidate please?

This is by no means me railroading this idea, it is me presenting a possible avenue for future successes. Including envoy suggestions I know dah, has repor with.

Dracian
Aren't there people PAID to do that already ?

You know, in our company, if someone doesn't do his job and penalize customers doing so, he's fired. Simple and efficient.

MacDeath
09-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Aren't there people PAID to do that already ?

You know, in our company, if someone doesn't do his job and penalize customers doing so, he's fired. Simple and efficient.
Yes, there are people paid to do that but, they don't do it 24/7. You could say, then hire more of em. Well, there USED to be more of em and many were fired (to save costs).

rockygreen11
09-08-2013, 03:41 AM
We are playtesting as we go it seems... We know more than most cause we play everyday hard. If we can break it, we do. They need to know... In case it's not evident, it's a pretty big *** world, and we have field operators that are unmatched. And willing to help mold a winner...

Misfit501
09-08-2013, 04:24 AM
Why? So you can have a bunch of random people make demands from you. The way people act on these forums I don't blame the mods for not being around.

rockygreen11
09-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Why? So you can have a bunch of random people make demands from you. The way people act on these forums I don't blame the mods for not being around.

I want gatekeepers that can get results by prioritizing our concerns... There are some on this forum that have a good repor with the community management team that can present our needs in a way that is effective. Aces in their places... Don't be silly!

Iceberg
09-08-2013, 07:27 AM
No, although I know it has been done on other game forums here is my concern. This IP and its forums will probably be shut down by next year, so it really doesn't even matter.

Sanguinesun
09-08-2013, 07:54 AM
This amounts to a used bandaid on a brain tumor. Nothing more. Worse, I would be highly suspect of someone who campaigns for themselves to be a mod as well because the general tendency is for such persons to be strong candidates for abusing such a position to begin with. Too much biased interest.

August Barkley
09-08-2013, 08:01 AM
The whole forum and the community works on the principle: "JUST-LEAVE-ME-ALONE!".

If people do not want to do their job for the money, why do I have to do their job for free?

MacDeath
09-08-2013, 08:02 AM
This amounts to a used bandaid on a brain tumor. Nothing more. Worse, I would be highly suspect of someone who campaigns for themselves to be a mod as well because the general tendency is for such persons to be strong candidates for abusing such a position to begin with. Too much biased interest.
There is always the possibility of power abuse but if you read the OP, I'm proposing VERY limited power. No delete ability, no ban ability, just move the spam out of the way.

Sanguinesun
09-08-2013, 08:15 AM
There is always the possibility of power abuse but if you read the OP, I'm proposing VERY limited power. No delete ability, no ban ability, just move the spam out of the way.

Limiting a forum member rank to having "move only" permissions still has room for abuse because there can be subjectivity involved in the move decision. The criteria for example of determining what is "spam" as just one example.

Also, there is the issue of transparency of such moves being truly because of "spam" or because of something else entirely. There is no differentiation between a delete or move function to a moderator visible only spam or other moderator level view only forum to the rest of the our forum members: a post or thread simply disappears(is deleted) in the eyes of everyone.

As well, such volunteer mod accounts would certainly be best considered for a -new- account name and not tacked onto an existing forumite's name for another level of abuse that such can entail. But even then it can still be used in that same fashion. Ive seen all the tricks of the trade with this stuff before.

Bigtk
09-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Forum mods act like ******s and I don't wanna have to act like a ****** so no.

MacDeath
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Limiting a forum member rank to having "move only" permissions still has room for abuse because there can be subjectivity involved in the move decision. The criteria for example of determining what is "spam" as just one example.

Also, there is the issue of transparency of such moves being truly because of "spam" or because of something else entirely. There is no differentiation between a delete or move function to a moderator visible only spam or other moderator level view only forum to the rest of the our forum members: a post or thread simply disappears(is deleted) in the eyes of everyone.

As well, such volunteer mod accounts would certainly be best considered for a -new- account name and not tacked onto an existing forumite's name for another level of abuse that such can entail. But even then it can still be used in that same fashion. Ive seen all the tricks of the trade with this stuff before.
I would agree that the volunteer mods should NOT have the ability added to an existing account / forum name. Mods ought to be anonymous.

melkathi
09-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Eh, I'd join your Mod Squad, MacDeath.

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 10:57 PM
First, lets assume that volunteer mods had very limited powers. They could move spam threads from Discussion forums to a holding area where they would later be viewed by an 'official mod'. The official mod could decide to delete the thread or restore it to the original forum. This would be a useful addition to keeping spam threads from cluttering the forums.

Volunteer mods would NOT have the ability to delete threads or posts. They would NOT have the ability to ban accounts.

If such a program existed wuold YOU be a candidate? I would be willing.

Only problem is that they probably wouldn't let people who have gotten either infractions or bans before, even be a volunteer mod. That would mean most of us who have been here the longest and are considered regulars (and perhaps the most helpful) would NOT be allowed to be mods. I am sure you could figure out why, and if not PM me and I will tell you.

Edit: For the record though, I'd be willing to join the mod ranks with ya Macdeath.

Rasczak
09-08-2013, 11:31 PM

I have to agree with Sanguinesun's posts.

Plus, as you pointed out MacDeath: They had more people they paid for this position, but let them go. Unfortunately, that's on Trion Worlds (namedly Scott Hartsman) to get his company turned around and get the needed staff, whether it is in development, QA, marketing, or forum moderation.

So, no, I would not volunteer my time to a company that makes far more annually than I even come close to. It's up to Trion Worlds to hire the needed staff, or lose customers.

I simply do not believe in charity within a free enterprise system.

Notturno
09-08-2013, 11:32 PM
I only think volunteer moderators (perhaps more aptly named janitors) should exist for an interim period between now and whenever the spam bot issue is resolved. I do not think we need a player moderation team around to police the forums - that is absolutely going to end in disaster. There's too much subjectivity associated with game forums on the part of player moderators. As much as I adore community involvement and volunteer work, there just isn't enough oversight to prevent abuse.

Janitors would be nice to help keep the spam bots at bay, that's really it. I'm quite content with the current paid moderators and the Trion community team. However, I would really like it if the paid moderators were allowed to show a bit more personality and interact with us a bit more. I think they could be a really positive force around the forums if they weren't forced to use canned responses in every thread.

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I only think volunteer moderators (perhaps more aptly named janitors) should exist for an interim period between now and whenever the spam bot issue is resolved. I do not think we need a player moderation team around to police the forums - that is absolutely going to end in disaster. There's too much subjectivity associated with game forums on the part of player moderators. As much as I adore community involvement and volunteer work, there just isn't enough oversight to prevent abuse.

Janitors would be nice to help keep the spam bots at bay, that's really it. I'm quite content with the current paid moderators and the Trion community team. However, I would really like it if the paid moderators were allowed to show a bit more personality and interact with us a bit more. I think they could be a really positive force around the forums if they weren't forced to use canned responses in every thread.

I can think of one super mod who has personality on his profile page, but he may not like it if i named him here.

A s0t
09-08-2013, 11:39 PM
SBR is the only one that does anything...

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 11:40 PM
SBR is the only one that does anything...

The one I was thinking only shows up with a ban hammer. so not SBR. try BW.

A s0t
09-08-2013, 11:43 PM
The one I was thinking only shows up with a ban hammer. so not SBR. try BW.
i meant nuking spam bot threads

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 11:43 PM

You are probably right there.

melkathi
09-08-2013, 11:45 PM

And he is getting faster. The latest thread is already gone :(

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 11:51 PM
And he is getting faster. The latest thread is already gone :(

Well I reported it as you replyed to it, and I assume also reported it. But yes he was VERY fast tonight!

melkathi
09-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Well I reported it as you replyed to it, and I assume also reported it. But yes he was VERY fast tonight!

Yes and A s0t also reported it. Probably took me a bit longer though. I have gotten bored and am looking for interesting things to write in the report...

MacDeath
09-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Only problem is that they probably wouldn't let people who have gotten either infractions or bans before, even be a volunteer mod. That would mean most of us who have been here the longest and are considered regulars (and perhaps the most helpful) would NOT be allowed to be mods. I am sure you could figure out why, and if not PM me and I will tell you.

Edit: For the record though, I'd be willing to join the mod ranks with ya Macdeath.
If Trion does implement this program, they probably won't need very many vol mods so they can be choosy. I would agree they probably wouldn't invite folks that had received bans in the past but, if someone had only received one infraction and had a clean record for the most recent 60 days, I wouldn't think that would disqualify them.

Atticus Batman
09-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Yes and A s0t also reported it. Probably took me a bit longer though. I have gotten bored and am looking for interesting things to write in the report...

I took a page out of their book and just copy & paste "spam, advertising messages" into the box

A s0t
09-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Yes and A s0t also reported it. Probably took me a bit longer though. I have gotten bored and am looking for interesting things to write in the report...i wrote "spam bot nuke me"

melkathi
09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Thank you for the ideas guys. I'll make a note of them for when I have writer's block and want to report a spambot.

MacDeath
09-09-2013, 12:05 AM
The paid mods probably work assigned shifts. The spam bots have discovered when the mods are off shift and that's mostly when they post. Then the first mod to start the new day would typically be the one to sweep em up. I think that is usually SBR. IMO, it doesn't mean he/she is most vigilant, just the first to start the day.

A s0t
09-09-2013, 12:08 AM
couple days ago jester was babysitting us and the spam didn't go away for hours.

MacDeath
09-09-2013, 12:12 AM
i wrote "spam bot nuke me"
Doh! I don't have much creativity when it comes to the movie spam bots. I usually just say 'spam' or 'spam bot'. When I report a player thread as spam, I usually add an explanation as to why I think it's spam. The mods often ignore my reports of players, I think they are more likely to send a warning PM to a player but the bots don't get a warning.

MacDeath
09-09-2013, 12:17 AM
couple days ago jester was babysitting us and the spam didn't go away for hours.
I'm pretty sure the mods work both Rift and Defiance at the same time. If Rift requires a lot of attention to higher priority stuff they may be less focused on Defiance. Just as if Defiance has lots of high priority stuff, Rift may get less attention.

A s0t
09-09-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the mods work both Rift and Defiance at the same time. If Rift requires a lot of attention to higher priority stuff they may be less focused on Defiance. Just as if Defiance has lots of high priority stuff, Rift may get less attention.yeah,
i was thinking that they have a list of reports that they could just go down, and do what needs to be done, efficiently.

Sanguinesun
09-09-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the mods work both Rift and Defiance at the same time.

They do work em all. I've seen em all on there.

MacDeath
09-09-2013, 01:31 AM
They do work em all. I've seen em all on there.
Aye, I know they do but what I don't know is if it's simultaneous coverage. For example a mod could be assigned to cover ALL Trion forums from midnight to 8 AM, or the assignment might be: Rift from Midnight to 2AM, Defiance from 2AM to 4AM, etc.

Bentu
09-09-2013, 02:26 AM
I put myself forward some time ago re the idea of removing spam bots and redirecting of threads but nothing came of it.

TravelerX1
09-09-2013, 05:52 AM

If such a program existed would YOU be a candidate? I would be willing.

Thought you were one already Bro

N3gativeCr33p
09-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Thought you were one already Bro

You're not the only one.

Indra Echo
09-09-2013, 06:16 AM
As someone who has volunteer modded for some devs' websites (like others have), I don't see how that solves anything. I'm sorry it might have been a good idea had it been that way from the start, but the atmosphere is so polarized and the game itself right now tends to have people sort of lost right now. I can't see that any good would come from having more moderators and especially not some that would enter into a sort of undisciplined environment.

My attitude and experience with modding has been that cookie cutter reasons for doing things don't work--simple explanations, rather than pointing out rules often work better. Also, locking, moving, deleting posts and threads without explanation or based upon one or two posts, rather than the OP or the other replies in them, breeds anger.

I'm not second guessing what's been done here or back seat moderating, but I'm pointing out that I was lucky. I first started modding for a forum with a very involved owner who set rules for the mods as well--unless posts were openly hostile, threatening, vulgar, racist, sexist, or any kind of -ist, or discussed how to pirate, how to cheat and so on, then the post would stay up--in post moderation was preferred. Point out why a post is wrong in the post and also PM the offender to warn them not to post such things again. Posts could even be edited to remove offending content--and if people were fighting, in post warnings were offered, such as advising that this kind of thing could lead to bans, including permanent ones.

I used those things when modding for devs, but not because they ever told me how to mod--they never had any direct contact with the mods at all. And they also had a lot of spambots--and the policy on one site was for mods to approve or disapprove all posts before they went live-that's a full-time job. I can't see how it would be that much different here. They really need to deal with spambots in a different way (they've gotten suggestions). But spambots sort of serve a purpose--they keep pushing complaints further back so they're not on the front page.

MacDeath
09-09-2013, 07:43 AM
As someone who has volunteer modded for some devs' websites (like others have), I don't see how that solves anything. I'm sorry it might have been a good idea had it been that way from the start, but the atmosphere is so polarized and the game itself right now tends to have people sort of lost right now. I can't see that any good would come from having more moderators and especially not some that would enter into a sort of undisciplined environment.

My attitude and experience with modding has been that cookie cutter reasons for doing things don't work--simple explanations, rather than pointing out rules often work better. Also, locking, moving, deleting posts and threads without explanation or based upon one or two posts, rather than the OP or the other replies in them, breeds anger.

I'm not second guessing what's been done here or back seat moderating, but I'm pointing out that I was lucky. I first started modding for a forum with a very involved owner who set rules for the mods as well--unless posts were openly hostile, threatening, vulgar, racist, sexist, or any kind of -ist, or discussed how to pirate, how to cheat and so on, then the post would stay up--in post moderation was preferred. Point out why a post is wrong in the post and also PM the offender to warn them not to post such things again. Posts could even be edited to remove offending content--and if people were fighting, in post warnings were offered, such as advising that this kind of thing could lead to bans, including permanent ones.

I used those things when modding for devs, but not because they ever told me how to mod--they never had any direct contact with the mods at all. And they also had a lot of spambots--and the policy on one site was for mods to approve or disapprove all posts before they went live-that's a full-time job. I can't see how it would be that much different here. They really need to deal with spambots in a different way (they've gotten suggestions). But spambots sort of serve a purpose--they keep pushing complaints further back so they're not on the front page.
IMO, it doesn't serve Trion's interests OR the players to see complaints pushed off the front page by spam bots. Trion needs to see the complaints so they'll know where improvements are needed. Players need to see the complaints so they'll know what to look out for. NO ONE needs to be reminded of how to pirate movies.

Codex
09-09-2013, 08:18 AM
I like what you're saying, Indra. That's exactly the way I've been asked to mod in the past and the way that I've found incredibly effective. You also make a very good point that it's so polarized here right now. Anyone who takes the position, or is offered it, would have to be cleaner than undriven snow. Even then, there's probably going to be an uproar about "favoritism" or "fanboy selection."

Anyways. The selection would have to be very, very carefully done, and the method in which mods work would have to be simmilar to the way you've suggested. I don't doubt for half a second that there will be cries of "censorship," or "power tripping," once again because of the current toxicity of the forums. I think anyone who signs up for that will have to be prepared for that eventuality.

SSlarg
09-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I am with all of you about the spam, it does need to stop.

about being a forum moderator,
I think I'd rather have my eyes ripped out with a shrimp fork
because they get blasted with questions they cannot answer.
I would Not want to be one of them. in the words of jim carrey: "No Spank You!"

Indra Echo
09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
IMO, it doesn't serve Trion's interests OR the players to see complaints pushed off the front page by spam bots. Trion needs to see the complaints so they'll know where improvements are needed. Players need to see the complaints so they'll know what to look out for. NO ONE needs to be reminded of how to pirate movies.

I'm not saying it positively serves anything-I'm saying it can deflect attention temporarily, but I was half joking. Trion does need to see the complaints-as to whether or not they want to all the time, that's another matter. And it sometimes is the reality that they don't always want to see threads with negative titles on the front page. I'm not saying they want spambots--no one does, but they could be dealt with. Whatever is being done is not working.

I've been on too many self-moderated forums and product self-help forums where there was no representative from a company to answer any questions, technical or otherwise. How does that serve them or their customers? And these are big name companies with a lot of money. Their attitude was that they'd let customers help each other and for anything else, well for a fee you could access their tech support line.

In truth, forums for any product are like what phone operators used to be in days gone by. They are often the face of the company--that voice on the phone used to be sometimes the first contact a customer had with a company and might be the only contact, so training was paramount as was making the contact a pleasant one.

Company forums today are the best and least well-used customer outreach tool that exists today. They allow, when maintained constructively customers to say exactly what they feel and to offer priceless feedback. I took total quality management years ago--and the most important question any company should be asking is "how are we doing and what could we do better". They pay consultants to tell them, but on forums people are telling them for free. Even and especially the loud angry voices--they're telling them with all due emotion where they've failed. That does need to be on the front page. I worked in one place where letters of feedback of all types would be posted as reminders of where we excelled and where we failed. That's important.

JustinM19
09-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Wait.....Defiance is a video game!? :O

MacDeath
09-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I am with all of you about the spam, it does need to stop.

about being a forum moderator,
I think I'd rather have my eyes ripped out with a shrimp fork
because they get blasted with questions they cannot answer.
I would Not want to be one of them. in the words of jim carrey: "No Spank You!"
The Community Team gets 'blasted with questions'. The forum mods don't. Dahanese is head of the Community Team. She is NOT a forum mod.

August Barkley
09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
The Community Team gets 'blasted with questions'. The forum mods don't. Dahanese is head of the Community Team. She is NOT a forum mod.

Keep the situation under control - it's part of her job, is not it?

Indra Echo
09-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Quite frankly anyone that is tasked with trying to keep things in order, especially between people, is a moderator no matter the title. And she does attempt to moderate some behavior so she may be more than a moderator but one of her duties seems clearly to be as a moderator.

In school, we had teachers who were also coaches. Calling one "coach" didn't mean s/he wasn't also a teacher still.

SHADOWBROKER
09-09-2013, 11:52 AM
i pray to god they dont let this happen. its a bad idea!

Sanguinesun
09-09-2013, 12:04 PM

More than you will ever know good sir... more than you will ever know...:rolleyes:

MacDeath
09-10-2013, 12:04 AM
It might take more work (on top of an already overworked Trion staff) to create these vol mods with their limited roles than to just fix the spam bot issue with 'normal metheods'. Please do fix the spam bot issue.

Escyos
09-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Unfortunately there are few on here who could wield that power. Many would simply remove threads that annoy them and claim they are breaking the rules (which actually a lot of threads and user do). Worse still is how they are seen by other users, when I became a moderator on a Terra Nova forum some years back, people complained about it simply because I enforced the rules and punished rule breakers to the extent of the rules.

MacDeath
09-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Unfortunately there are few on here who could wield that power. Many would simply remove threads that annoy them and claim they are breaking the rules (which actually a lot of threads and user do). Worse still is how they are seen by other users, when I became a moderator on a Terra Nova forum some years back, people complained about it simply because I enforced the rules and punished rule breakers to the extent of the rules.
Well, IMO the proper use of moderator powers is NOT to punish rule breakers to the extent of the rules, but rather to educate people on the proper use of the forums and as a last resort to 'punish'.

That's the function of full time paid mods, however, the limited powers I would envision for vol-mods wouldn't be to educate OR punish, simply to sweep the spam bot posts off the forums. Of course, the paid mods could do this function also but they aren't online 24/7 and the vol-mods would be.

melkathi
09-10-2013, 01:07 AM

We had the same problem with Art sites. When I was a moderator at Elfwood I had arguments with a volunteer mod that she could not just reject all images with angels in them because she was on a ridiculuous anti-religious trip. So I got tired of cleaning up after her, told the others that we'd have to remove her and they promoted her instead because "she has a lot of free time" ...
I didn't stay around long after that ;)

Wiggle Pooh
09-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Bad idea. Not going to happen.

I would rather watch Rid**** online in good quality. Carry on.

melkathi
09-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Posting just to spite Wiggle Pooh who thinks he can decide when a thread stops :P

MacDeath
09-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Posting just to spite Wiggle Pooh who thinks he can decide when a thread stops :P
Well, IMO, that's not the BEST reason to bump a thread, but it does work.

Spiltmilk
09-10-2013, 07:13 AM
The best moderator are ones that do the least moderating of players. Let's not forget, this topic only came up because of the spam bots. If Dahanese is willing, volunteer mods would probably be a good idea. Group idles on irc or teamspeak.

I do like to suggest that everyone have the ability to delete their own posts or threads. It's a small request, but self moderating power can prevent fires. ;)

Tyger
09-10-2013, 07:16 AM
I'd take the job if all I had to do was sh!tcan those spammy threads the bots cook up.

melkathi
09-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I do like to suggest that everyone have the ability to delete their own posts or threads. It's a small request, but self moderating power can prevent fires. ;)

At least this forum does not have a time window in which to edit one's posts. So you can at least go back and edit out the content.

N3gativeCr33p
09-10-2013, 10:30 AM
At least this forum does not have a time window in which to edit one's posts. So you can at least go back and edit out the content.

Well said, kind sir (or madam)!

MacDeath
09-10-2013, 10:45 AM
I saw Dahanese's post in another thread indicating Trion has no plans for vol-mods. It can be found here:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?132814-The-amount-of-movie-spam-bots-I-see....&p=1261232&viewfull=1#post1261232

TravelerX1
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
I saw Dahanese's post in another thread indicating Trion has no plans for vol-mods. It can be found here:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?132814-The-amount-of-movie-spam-bots-I-see....&p=1261232&viewfull=1#post1261232

Probably a good thing.

Wiggle Pooh
09-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I'd take the job if all I had to do was sh!tcan those spammy threads the bots cook up.

You one of the last people who should be a mod, even with little responsibility.

Xaearth
09-10-2013, 12:19 PM

According to Dahanese during the Rift-Defiance twitch stream... last Friday?
They had made mention of the possibility on the Rift forums only to get a ton of backlash. So they made an "official" statement on twitch saying it wasn't going to happen at this time.

dahanese
09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
According to Dahanese during the Rift-Defiance twitch stream... last Friday?
They had made mention of the possibility on the Rift forums only to get a ton of backlash. So they made an "official" statement on twitch saying it wasn't going to happen at this time.

We never had a rollout plan or anything of the sort - it was an idea (like many ideas) we have talked about and the talks got far enough to bring you guys in.

I've run a forum with volunteers successfully but at this point, I don't think any of you need more heartache. We'll keep the status quo until things normalize and go from there if it's necessary.

Bentu
09-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I've run a forum with volunteers successfully but at this point, I don't think any of you need more heartache. We'll keep the status quo until things normalize and go from there if it's necessary.

I can wield a ban hammer without too much heartache lol.

melkathi
09-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't think any of you need more heartache.

*whistles like Guy Mitchell*

I have heartache by the numbers,
Trouble by the scores
Every day valid posts seem less
Every day the spambots post more
I have heartaches by the number
Volunteer modding that I could do
But the day that I stop counting that's the day this forum and I will be through.

August Barkley
09-10-2013, 01:26 PM
We do not need the heartache in any form actually. But "the magic" does not work and it breaks my heart.

dahanese
09-10-2013, 01:29 PM
We do not need the heartache in any form actually. But "the magic" does not work and it breaks my heart.

"The magic" was my coy paraphrasing of Akismet. We have our ops team on it to try and get the rest of it.

MacDeath
09-10-2013, 08:19 PM
"The magic" was my coy paraphrasing of Akismet. We have our ops team on it to try and get the rest of it.
IMO, there can be no single magic bullet which will stop most spam bots. Trion needs to do several things, which can, working together make your sites too difficult to bother with.

Right now, it's incredibly easy to create a forum account with a fake ID. Tightening up account creation is, in my opinion a necessary step in the process.

Rasczak
09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
We never had a rollout plan or anything of the sort - it was an idea (like many ideas) we have talked about and the talks got far enough to bring you guys in.

vBulletin is not rocket science, nor is tightening account registration to avoid the Spambots.

I've done it with my company's forums, and I am not a tech guy by any stretch. I've also not had a single Bot able to even register since I did it 3 months ago.

So, my opinion is that Vol Mods are, indeed, unnecessary. What's necessary is someone who understands the basics of vBulletin and pHpBoards. They are not difficult.

Escyos
09-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Well, IMO the proper use of moderator powers is NOT to punish rule breakers to the extent of the rules, but rather to educate people on the proper use of the forums and as a last resort to 'punish'.

Yes but most people would know that sending violently threatening messages to anyone would be against the rules. I didn't need to 'educate' that person, I just banned them.

MacDeath
09-11-2013, 12:55 AM
vBulletin is not rocket science, nor is tightening account registration to avoid the Spambots.

I've done it with my company's forums, and I am not a tech guy by any stretch. I've also not had a single Bot able to even register since I did it 3 months ago.

So, my opinion is that Vol Mods are, indeed, unnecessary. What's necessary is someone who understands the basics of vBulletin and pHpBoards. They are not difficult.
Trion has a guy in Austin that is very good with forums. Dahanese, give a shout to Justin Turner, he can make these forums sing and dance.

[EDIT] Ooops, seems like he got the boot in March. http://justinturner.com/post/46512185811/my-last-day-at-trion-worlds-im-going-to-miss-you